How to remove front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 01:41 PM
JDM FREAK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to remove front bumper

Does anyone have instructions on how to remove the front bumper.
A friend os mine wants to replace his headlight and doesn't know how to drop the bumper.
Thanks in advance
Old 04-05-2008, 01:17 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Qatar
Does anyone have instructions on how to remove the front bumper.
A friend os mine wants to replace his headlight and doesn't know how to drop the bumper.
Thanks in advance
hi .. i also have a moisture problem with passenger side headlight and someone suggested dropping the bumper as part of the solution. so i will be intered in any replies you get

larry
Old 04-05-2008, 01:25 PM
JDM FREAK

Larry,
I would recommend having your headlight changed under warranty, because the moisture is a result of bad seal.
If you warranty is still valid, definately do it.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Instructor

I don't have "instructions," but I was forced to learn last month when I installed the Aspec front on my car. Definitely a 2 man job to avoid any un-necessary damage to your car.

1. Jack the car up and put it on jackstands... and with that in mind, wear some dirty clothes because you'll be spending some time laying on your back!
2. There is a series of small bolts and fasteners along the bottom of the bumper. The fasteners require a small flat head screwdriver to remove. Insert the screwdriver into the slot between the outer and inner portion of the fastener. The inner portion will "pop" up. Once it is about half way out, remove the entire fastener. Keep track of where the fasteners and bolts came from because some are longer than others and will only work in certain places.
3. Remove the air deflector which is located on the bottom but further back... once again attached with the small black fasteners.
4. There is a phillips head screw (one on each side of the car) where the bumper meets with the fender. It's inside the fender well, so it helps if you turn the wheel (or remove it.)
5. Pop the hood to remove the fasteners that attach the top of the bumper (AND ATTACHED GRILLE) to the body.
6. All that is left is a series of connection points below each headlight. This was a bit tricky and required some help to avoid scratching the fender with the bumper. Pull the bumper forward to expose the connection point. I used a long skinny flathead screwdriver to "help" it free... but there may be an easier or more correct way to do this. I remember reading somewhere around here about simply pulling the bumper forward, but I wasn't comfortable with how much force that would have taken. Be patient. A towel between the screwdriver and bumper might be recommended, but I didn't use one.
7. When the bumper is finally free (by now there will be one person on each side of the bumper to keep it from falling on the ground) you'll have to disconnect the fog lights from the wiring harness. Nothing too complicated.

That's it. Feel free to add a comment if you know of a trick that I didn't. Obviously, reverse the procedure when you're ready to put it back on.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
What a pain in the butt. I'm going to have to do this in another 10k miles when it's time to clean my AEM filter.

Thanks for the instructions.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Wink

Yikes. Now I know why I leave the 'simple' jobs to the professionals. That is a lot of steps.

However, based on some amusing actions I saw from a neighbor, I can recommend the following. It has more steps but you don't need specialty tools like a screwdriver nor do you need to lay on the ground.

1. Get a strong rope.
2. Pass rope through grille, down and out and fasten securely (6 or 7 square knots).
3. Secure other end of rope to a tree.
4. Get in car
5. Start car
6. Shift into Reverse
7. FLOOR it.
8. Front bumper detaches.
9. Wife emerges from front door.
10. Sheriff's deputies arrive to diffuse situation.

The real reason this happened was the neighbor was trying to remove a tree from his yard. But based on what I observed, it ALSO works well in removing the front bumper facia....as well as various other parts of the car.

Give it a try Qatar. Lt us know how you make out.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TampaRL
1. Get a strong rope.
2. Pass rope through grille, down and out and fasten securely (6 or 7 square knots).
3. Secure other end of rope to a tree.
4. Get in car
5. Start car
6. Shift into Reverse
7. FLOOR it.
8. Front bumper detaches.
9. Wife emerges from front door.
10. Sheriff's deputies arrive to diffuse situation.
Why didn't I think of that?? Could have saved me 3 Hours!