How many have the Shop Manual...and why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 10:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
How many have the Shop Manual...and why?

I saw the pictures of the back-seat removal procedure in another thread and wondered to myself: How many RL owners here have the Acura RL shop manual?

If you've got it, why did you get it?

What sort of "fixes" or projects did you try to undertake that you otherwise wouldn't have tried without it?

Rob144
Old 12-12-2007, 05:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I do not have the manual for our RL because it is a lease. However I do have it for my TSX. LIke always I read the manual from cover to cover to get an Idea how everything works. It is also handy when you need to take things apart for mods. Our driver side door handle is on the blink again( the button won't lock the doors) and if I had the manual I could see how it works, troubleshoot it, and help the dealer fix it, since they don't seem to know how. It great to have a car under warranty, but buyer beware when it it isn't. With the new, " try this part and try that part" mentality that service shops use now, you better have some idea what is wrong with your car when you take it in.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
No manual for my RL, but used to get them for many years. However, the cost of the manuals from Helm went from slightly high ($49) to outrageous ($120) and I stopped buying them. Also, in the old days you got all sytems in one book; now you have to buy a whole set at four to five times the price.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:20 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have them -- all three volumes. Have been an auto DIYer for nearly 50 years. The technical complexity of the RL is the reason I bought.

As modern cars go the RL takes technology and electronics to a new and higher level. Without the shop manual such basic maintenance functions as just changing headlamp or taillamp bulbs would be just about impossible for an owner.

Fact is, if you're intent on doing much more than changing fluids, fuses and bulbs on your RL, the cost of the shop manual will be minor compared to the costs for electronic test gear and computer software to diagnose system problems.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I had the shop manual for my '88 Legend Coupe, and I used it as a guide to remove the stereo, the thermostat, and take the door and dash apart to hunt rattles. I think I also adjusted the sunroof.

On my '95 Legend I vowed not to take anything apart like that so didn't get the manual. Being part of the RL board has made me more likely to take things apart to troubleshoot, and if necessary go to the dealer armed with accurate information (like dwest).

Is there much difference between a Helms manual and the Acura manual?

Rob144
Old 12-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I have seen 2nd Gen RL manuals on Ebay periodically ('slightly' used) for about $80.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackzilla
Fact is, if you're intent on doing much more than changing fluids, fuses and bulbs on your RL, the cost of the shop manual will be minor compared to the costs for electronic test gear and computer software to diagnose system problems.
...and this is why I take my car to the dealer for any service. They've got all that equipment. I'm afraid even to take my car to a good independent shop as a) there's no good Honda/Acura independent garage in my area and b) I'm afraid anyone who doesn't know an RL will fsck up the electronics.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Got it for the simple reason that I don't even trust the dealer to install a aftermarket part on this car. The manual is quite good overall and well worth having if you like to see how things work in the car.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I used to have one for my RSX/Ss but doubt I'll get one for the RL...I'll probably trade it for another before it goes out of warranty.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by neuronbob
...and this is why I take my car to the dealer for any service. They've got all that equipment. I'm afraid even to take my car to a good independent shop as a) there's no good Honda/Acura independent garage in my area and b) I'm afraid anyone who doesn't know an RL will fsck up the electronics.
Just as insight to some of the RL's electromechanical complexity, the section on the automatic transaxle runs to 263 pages. Just the DTC (Digital Transmission Codes?) Codes Index is three pages long.

Frankly, just perusing volume 1 on the Power Train gives you a new respect for the amount of expertiise Acura technicians MUST have to even attempt servicing the systems on this car.

Moreover, you get a real appreciation for the design excellence and quality control that goes into such a complex automobile that all these systems generlly work together flawlessly.

At this point, I think it is safe to say, only jet aircraft have much more complex electromechanical and electronic systems. Makes one wonder how automakers can even do it at the prices they're able to sell for.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:33 PM
Retired and Loving It

I have the 05 RL manual. I bought it on eBay because it was cheap $25. I just like to know how things tick in my RL. Also useful when the service guys try to BS you on a repair.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:23 PM
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 94 Posts
Jackzilla, you da man! I am impressed with your RL knowledge and boldness in making modifications and significant servicing/repairs to your car. Love your user name. I am partial to the zilla ending as you will see in the link below. We manufacture a product with the brand name Trapzilla®
http://www.trapzilla.com

If you are ever passing through Asheboro, NC (near Greensboro), stop by our business and see a Trapzilla (and my 2006 RL, too).
wstr75
Old 12-12-2007, 09:49 PM
Racer

I got one more to satisfy my inner techno-geek than to use it for complex repairs. As others have said, even if you understand how to do the work, the numerous specialized tools required usually make it cost prohibitive. That said, it is a great read-I design digital processed satellite systems for a living, and many sections of the RL manual are the equal of (or more complex) than many of those technical manuals I have read (or helped write).
Old 12-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 94 Posts
Just bought a set for 2005 - 2006 RL tonight on Ebay for $58.75 which includes shipping. Consisted of two books.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:15 AM
Instructor

If you are ever passing through Asheboro, NC (near Greensboro), stop by our business and see a Trapzilla (and my 2006 RL, too).
wstr75[/QUOTE]

Small world wstr75. I moved to Conway (SC) about five years ago, from High Point. Lived there for fourteen years so I know exactly where Asheboro is. I expect to be up that way regularly, come August, '08, when my son relocates to Winston. Will take you up on your offer. Our RL is 2006 too w/CMBS and PAX.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:29 AM
Cruisin'

I have it, mostly to satisfy the "inner technogeek", as acurafox put it. Regardless of cost, I have acquiried technical manuals for all the cars I've owned.

A specific procedure that I plan to do that I wouldn't have done without the manual is replacement of my broken foglamp. Someone had posted on a separate thread that the procedure was listed in the owners' manual, but that is incorrect - the owners' manual lists the procedure to replace the foglamp bulb, not the entire housing.