How does the RL handle real world snow/winter driving??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 01:57 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
How does the RL handle real world snow/winter driving??

One of the main reasons i liked the RL was the nice AWD system and the ability to go to ski resorts and such during the winter without dealing with chains, chain controls, poor traction, etc.
I live in California and 9 months of the year my car will NOT see any snow. This is why i was not excited about getting a gas guzzling SUV.

During the winter we like to go up in the mountains a couple of times a month and usually there is snow on the roads. Sierra Nevada's main roads (HW80 and HW50) are well maintained but they do get covered with the white stuff, they freeze and often chains are required on 2WD cars even when there is less than 1 inch of snow on the road. I hope that the RL will let me forget about the chains. I do plan to invest in a set of decent (not extreme, not studded) snow tires.

My questions are for those who have experience with the RL AWD on the snow.

- How does the car handle in slippery conditions compared to other AWD/4x4 cars you had in the past? I had an old Audi Quattro many years ago and this car was a monster in the snow - unstoppable with the right tires. Never got stuck even in 1ft+ deep snow.
Can you say the same about the RL? Is the RL a real "snow mobile" when equipped with the right shoes?

- Should i be concerned with the low clearance? The RL is pretty low to the ground and i am wondering if anything more than a few inches of snow will make it useless in the mountains?!?

- How well is the RL going downhill in the snow? I know all the "do's" and "don't" of winter driving but i also know that a car with Auto transmission is not as easy to control on the snow compared to a stick shift car with nice ABS system. My old Audi was stick shift and with the help of ABS, it was easy to manage going down on steep hills.

Last couple of winters i've been driving my FWD Maxima with a set of Bridgestone Blizzak tires and chains. Never got stuck and the car was impressive with the snow tires on. I had to put chains only because the highway patrol forced me. Yet, i know that a high powered, FWD car with no traction control is NOT a great idea in the snow.

What should i expect from my 06 RL sh-awd?
Old 08-18-2009, 04:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live near Boulder, CO. I am the original owner of an '05 RL with just about 50K on the clock. I have never had a problem with snow and I use the OE tires. With dedicated snow tires, it would be even better, but I've never felt the need. Really deep snow is an issue for any car, but I've never been stuck, or even close.

Rest easy. You should have no problems.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
With good all-season tires, I only got stuck once during my RL ownership of three winters. With snow tires AND chains, the car is probably unstoppable on snow or ice.

I had no issues with the ground clearance and as long as the roads are reasonably clear, you won't either. For downhill, the RL's tranny has a hill descent mode in which the appropriate gear is held. Read all about that in the manual. Also you can put the car in manual mode and shift yourself on steep downhills. This worked for me last year when I took my RL to Pike's Peak.

HTH!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool another Coloradans on Acurazine!

I will have to agree with the rest of the fellows here. As my experience with the RL last winter in Colorado was a pleasurable expedition! Prior to my RL, every fwd vehicle (Camry & TL had traction control) still needed snow tires to maneuver over icy highways and occasional dangerous mountain passage to ski resorts. The RL handle as well my dad’s Toyota 4runner (with out the bumpy & rough ride) and I never had any problem with slippage or snow clearance. I have been so thoroughly impress by the SH-AWD that I opt for all-season (Michelin Pilot Sports A/S) tires year round instead of keeping a spear set of snow tires.

So if you are worry about the RL making it through the winter season? Don’t! This sedan is really amazing; it is nimble yet has superior traction that is nearly identical to a big SUV.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Instructor

Snow tires on all wheels are a must. It will be fine then.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:40 PM
'05 RL 300K Miles

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Dunlop Winter Sport M3 are top-notch for winter driving. I put 35K in some real ugly conditions in MN. I've literally had a wave of snow going over the hood as I was driving in over 1 foot of snow.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:17 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by FN P90
Dunlop Winter Sport M3 are top-notch for winter driving. I put 35K in some real ugly conditions in MN. I've literally had a wave of snow going over the hood as I was driving in over 1 foot of snow.
What size are your snow tires?

I am having hard time finding good, reasonably priced snow tires in the stock 245/50/17 size. I am starting to consider 225/55/17 on stock wheels. Ideas?
Old 08-21-2009, 01:21 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by FN P90
......I've literally had a wave of snow going over the hood as I was driving in over 1 foot of snow.
Didn't you loose any traction because of the deep snow??
I've seen AWD sedans "move" in 2ft of snow, but eventually, because of poor ground clearance they get stuck really bad. How was the RL? Any close calls?
Old 08-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by danmm7
What size are your snow tires?

I am having hard time finding good, reasonably priced snow tires in the stock 245/50/17 size. I am starting to consider 225/55/17 on stock wheels. Ideas?
That is what I purchased and had mounted on a set of used stock wheels, no problem.
For this car I bought Vredsteins although I had good luck with Dunlops on my TL.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Advanced

How does the SH-AWD of the Acura compare to the full-time symmetrical AWD of the Subaru in ice and snow?

Thanks.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
3 winters in cleveland, Pilot A/S tires, never a problem. The car instills so much confidence that I can't consider any other vehicle unless it has AWD.
Spoiled by the SH-AWD and the VSC
Old 10-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Old link, but still worthwhile. Search the 'net on Acura and Mecaglisse, and you should find a number of articles and video.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/1...est/index.html
Old 10-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
And Bob's RL before he was seduced by the Siren of Torque.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkUtI29Xk1g
Old 10-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Similar articles on SHAWD tests in the snow....

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...umentid=435745

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2007/0...ive-system.htm
Old 10-02-2009, 08:28 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by kssod
3 winters in cleveland, Pilot A/S tires, never a problem. The car instills so much confidence that I can't consider any other vehicle unless it has AWD.
Spoiled by the SH-AWD and the VSC
So have you been happy with these tires? I just ordered the Pilot Sport A/S Plus as I've gotten about as much as I can (56K) out of the OEM tires.

The OEM Michelins were actually more expensive. I got the Pilot Sports for $210 plus installation, minus $70 rebate from Discunt Tire.

They're labeled as Ultra Performance tires so I'm a little concerned about SE Michigan winters.

To answer the original poster, I have gone through a couple of rough Chicago and Michigan winters and I will say that the SH-AWD shines. Just remember it's not an SUV so if you go through really deep snow you can still get perched on top of a snow bank.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by GoHawks
I got the Pilot Sports for $210 plus installation, minus $70 rebate from Discunt Tire.

I guess they are a good place to buy your rubbers.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by TampaRL
[/B]

The $70 is off all four tires not each.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:46 PM
wat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 10-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I think Hawks missed my joke! I am usually the one with typo-cus interruptus!

But whatever the name of that tire store was...I would NEVER 'Dis' one.

Oh,,and Bugeye.....I took Fritz to the vet today...........DRAMA!
Old 10-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
pilot A/S are very good in snow and wet. I swapped my OEM immediately upon purchase in 06, and felt that they were the best tires I ever owned. They cut through snow as well as my 05 MDX with cross terrains, and better than my 08 MDX with lattitude HP
Old 10-02-2009, 09:27 PM

I think Hawks missed my joke! I am usually the one with typo-cus interruptus!

But whatever the name of that tire store was...I would NEVER 'Dis' one.

Oh,,and Bugeye.....I took Fritz to the vet today...........DRAMA!
Oh I got it.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:29 PM

OK, I just caught how I spelled the name of the tire store.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

S'OK Hawks....it is Friday...and a long week.

Whatcha drinkin'?
Old 10-02-2009, 09:35 PM

S'OK Hawks....it is Friday...and a long week.

Whatcha drinkin'?
Rough week is right.... Brutal.

Trying to forget it with a nice glass of Zinfandel.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Rough week is right.... Brutal.

Trying to forget it with a nice glass of Zinfandel.
ZIN!!! Not even a Pinot???

I am heading over with a cognac before someone snatches your ManCard!
Old 10-02-2009, 09:48 PM

ZIN!!! Not even a Pinot???

I am heading over with a cognac before someone snatches your ManCard!
C'mon it's a red. Not like I'm drinking white zin. If I did that I might as well trade in the RL for a white Solara convertible
Old 10-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

C'mon it's a red. Not like I'm drinking white zin. If I did that I might as well trade in the RL for a white Solara convertible
Oh the Hawkster is as sharp as evuh! I see you got that one also...attaboy.

*licking fingertips* TWO points for the Hawkster!
Old 10-02-2009, 10:01 PM

Oh the Hawkster is as sharp as evuh! I see you got that one also...attaboy.

*licking fingertips* TWO points for the Hawkster!
I have two bottles of white zin in my wine cooler that I don't know what to do with them. People brought them as gifts.

Can't bring myself to dump them, but can't bring myself to drink them, or worse bring them out when we have company.

Now to get this thread back on track....

Ever notice how the SH-AWD keeps the car planted when you have the trunk loaded with cases of Pinot or Cab?

Last edited by GoHawks; 10-02-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:00 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Contrary to what most people think the RL is prety sloppy in the snow with all season tires. Though it essentially never gets stuck, the shifting of torque to the rear can lead to some unexpected fishtailing while turning and with the standard MXV4 braking is terrible. On the other hand, with performance snow tires like the michelin pilot alpin PA3 the car is stupendous in the snow, it almost like the snow isn't there at all! The harder you push the more it bites, simply fantastic! If all you see is casual snow, all seasons are OK, but if you live in an area where the snow sticks around for months snow tires are in order, without them you will never be even close to exploiting SHAWD in the snow. This is also true for the MDX, the standard tires are piss poor snow performers, but with snow rubber its so good its almost embarassing!
Old 10-06-2009, 05:41 AM
2013 RL or bust

the RL is fine in the snow SH-AWD cmonnn
Old 10-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I have an '05 with around 55K and been through 3 winters in the Denver area. I must say I'm surprised with the number of people who are happy with the snow and ice performance on the OEM tires or Pilot Sports. I have had both (have the Michelins on right now) and I haven't been too comfortable with winter driving in either. The Bridgestones were horrible IMHO.
Looks like I'm going to get a third season out of the Dunlop Winter Sport M3s. That is a fantastic tire for snow and ice conditions. To me, made a world of difference in the performance and handling of my RL, especially on slippery conditions.
Without snow tires, the RL can plow ahead as good anything, but when it's slippery, I find the M3s help a great deal.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:44 AM
Racer

I drive to Tahoe (Kirkwood) from the Bay Area and I never use chains. I feel ok, but I still have to drive pretty slow.. I don't feel a lot of the slipping like I feel in my TL wihout chains.. I have never had any issue with the RL; it was one of the reasons I got the car so I could drive without chains. I went over donner once, on the way to Reno, in heavy snow and it was pretty good. I don't feel like I am invincible though.. I still feel very cautious.. on that same trip I drove up to Mt. Rose from my hotel in Reno, and it was snowing so heavily. I had 2 issues. Lots of snow stuck to the bottom of the car or froze and it was causing wierd noises. It didn't cause any issues.., and the snow would not wipe from the window with the wipers.. got that one TSB fix for a stronger motor, and learned you can turn on the heater and it heats the glass from the inside to melt the outside, duh..
Old 10-10-2009, 02:33 AM
Instructor

gcook, i assume you use all-season tires, correct? Or you have snow tires?

Most of my trips also will be from Bay Area to Kirkwood.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:48 AM
2013 RL or bust

im using my 18s and michelin sport tires this winter, first time, and should be fine. then again, i don't need to drive during rush hours or anything.. and im not goin far if it's snowing heavy... except to do donuts in the mall parking lots. I will need to clean my aspecs after driving in the snow tho to ensure they don't get COMPLETELY crappy(worthless)
Old 10-15-2009, 08:19 AM
Advanced

I'm defintely curious to see how my 05 RL will perform in the snow. Right now it's got all-weather tires. Before we moved to the burbs and became a 2-car family, my wife and I lived in Beacon Hill (Boston) and rolled in a Volvo XC-70. I absolutely loved driving that car in the snow. If anyone's familiar with the area, it's hilly, narrow streets, and requires parallel parking in spots are unplowed or have been filled w/snow by plows. I never had a problem parking, even on a snow bank.

I'm not expecting that level of performance from my RL, but I can hope!
Old 10-15-2009, 09:28 AM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FatNoah
I'm defintely curious to see how my 05 RL will perform in the snow. Right now it's got all-weather tires. Before we moved to the burbs and became a 2-car family, my wife and I lived in Beacon Hill (Boston) and rolled in a Volvo XC-70. I absolutely loved driving that car in the snow. If anyone's familiar with the area, it's hilly, narrow streets, and requires parallel parking in spots are unplowed or have been filled w/snow by plows. I never had a problem parking, even on a snow bank.

I'm not expecting that level of performance from my RL, but I can hope!
I think you will be disappointed in the snow performance if you just have the all season tires. Get some good snow tires and you will experience a night and day difference. The first week of ownership I drove through a snowstorm with the OEM all seasons and the car was all over the road. Once I got snow tires it was a huge improvement.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Just remember SHAWD does not equate to a 4 wheel drive off road capable vehicle. The RL does not have the clearance of that Volvo.

Are you listening Chas???
Old 10-15-2009, 11:33 AM
Instructor

Just remember SHAWD does not equate to a 4 wheel drive off road capable vehicle. The RL does not have the clearance of that Volvo.

Are you listening Chas???
I've driven Volvo S60 R AWD in the snow with ALL-Season tires and it was not impressive. I've also read some reviews on Volvo's AWD system that were not very impressive. Compared to Quattro or Subaru's AWD, the Volvo AWD was rated pretty bad.
Tires make all the difference in the world, i guess. I am definitely not going to the white stuff with my all-season tires!
Old 10-15-2009, 11:45 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I was referring to the vehicle type, not a comparison of Volvo AWD to SHAWD.

The XC70 is an offroad capable vehicle with appropriate clearance. It can climb a snow bank, which I would not try with an RL.

SHAWD traction does not equate to, nor should be considered as AWD offroad capability.

So none of this, Chas......

http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/...7/2142_2_1.jpg
Old 10-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Nah, I only did North Carolina dirt roads aong a field, no stream fording!

Quick Reply: How does the RL handle real world snow/winter driving??