HELP: Is it OK for new car to have 450 miles on delivery???

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006 | 11:59 AM
Cruisin'

HELP: Is it OK for new car to have 450 miles on delivery???

Hi,

Need help and advice....located a color that I really want in the RL. The other one I have on hold has only 11 miles (carbon gray pearl color).

The one that is my #1 choice (Black w/ Ebony) has 450 miles on it...same price as the other Carbon Gray one. Main difference is 439 extra miles and I have to travel 3.5 hours to go pick it up.

Is there any harm in ppl ragging the car during the test drives? She assured me that it was not a demo...

Please help as I need to make a decision today.

thanks!!!

Soon to be RL owner...
Old 11-27-2006 | 12:06 PM
Safety Car

That one may have been used as the demo driver. At $0.10/mile usage fee that translates to only $45. If it is the one you want I would bargain some more for the reason that you don't know how the car was treated for those 450 miles. I bought a 2004 TSX with 320 miles on it and was hesitant about the mileage - dealer knocked another $750 off of the agreed price. I did not have any problems with the car, mechanically related, for the 76000 miles I had it.
Old 11-27-2006 | 12:14 PM
Safety Car

Although I did not go for the deal, I had a choice of two slightly used cars, 700 miles and 1800 miles. The dealer would make a 50 cents per mile allowance.

Radley Acura in Falls Church, VA.

Hey, for $ difference, I would have rather had a new one with 8 miles on it.
Old 11-27-2006 | 12:47 PM
06 RL - Carbon Gray Pearl

I assuming you are going to take a look at it first before making the decision, right? I would ask for a lower price for the black RL. The fact is you have a car on hold for the same price (brand new) and it only has 11 miles. When we test drove the RL, I have to admit, we drove it to its limits. The sales rep told us to punch it and that we did. Will I buy the car we test drove? Most likely no. The point is I am buying a NEW car and I don't expect a new car to have more than 15 - 20 miles.
Old 11-27-2006 | 12:54 PM
Advanced

If you're already getting the best deal possible, you may not be able to get a better deal due to the miles.

It might be that the car was traded from another dealership around 440 miles away. If so, the original dealership will be listed on the window sticker. If that's the case, and the original dealership is around 440 miles away from where the car sits, I wouldn't worry about it. An extra 440 highway miles in an RL is just helping you with the break in process. It's not like it's a Corvette that was likely to be thrashed on its way to the new dealership.

Before taking it home, I'd spend a lot of time examining the car inside and out and also a long test drive to make sure nothing's wrong.
Old 11-27-2006 | 01:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Is this new? technically yes if never titled. Is it a demo? Maybe... or as someone else pointed out, maybe just driven to this dealership. Nonetheless, I also would negotiate for a lower price. In would not pay full price for something over a few hundred miles. Maybe consider the Carbon Grey.... it is a beautiful color and much more easier to maintain.
Old 11-27-2006 | 01:23 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the input!!! My wife was slightly concerned w/ the higher miles on the Black one.

I'm doing the math now too....

Out the door Carbon Gray (11 miles) $41,581 (inc. wheel locks and mud guards)

Out the door Black (472 miles) $40,813 (no wheel locks and No mud guards)

So that is almost $700 difference....(i'm sure locks and guards are cheaper---just worried about the 472 miles) though it would be fully under warranty.....

Now if it became $1000 difference....if i call her back....that is a whole new ballgame. I've already got her to waive the processing fee.....she said no accessorries can be included , since she will be "losing money".

Again, any input would be appreciated!

Thanks.
Old 11-27-2006 | 01:26 PM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

if u cant make up your mind just just wait for another new one to come in or go try another dealer
Old 11-27-2006 | 01:35 PM
06 RL Lakeshore Silver

I got my 06 RL with 135 miles on it because they had to drive it in from Wisconsin. I checked for chips and there were none. I did have an agreement with the dealership that I did not have to take owernship of the car if I felt in anyway that it had damage. The car was totally clean.
Old 11-27-2006 | 01:37 PM
Advanced

If the dealer is telling the truth that it's not a demo (as proved by the window sticker showing a dealership around 400 miles away) and it's not damaged, I think you'd be crazy to miss out on the color you want in a $50,000 car because of $90 in miles at $.20/mile.

Looks like they've already sweetened the deal, so this is a no-brainer to me. If you want accessories, offer to pay cost.
Old 11-27-2006 | 01:39 PM
Senior Moderator

If $1k would make the deal easier to take. Call your salesperson and give them that feedback. Tell them this is your bottomline and will be in today to purchase the car if they can meet you there. if not, you will investigate RL's at other dealerships.

See what they say and hold your ground. I doubt $300 would make them lose the sale and a potential long term customer. If they don't meet your demands, give it a day and wait..... if they dont call you back, take them up on your original offer.

Originally Posted by mtam08
Now if it became $1000 difference....if i call her back....that is a whole new ballgame.
Old 11-27-2006 | 01:43 PM
2014 SH Advance/2006 Tech

Yeah,
I would agree on that ..to talk to dealership and they would be happy to have a customer rather to loose one for a car which is having 450 miles. On the other hand even if the car is a demo car..with that strong build..nothing would have happend to the car in the test driving...as no sales man in the dealership would allow any test driver to bang the car.......That being said...i would not hesitate to go for the color you wanted...
Old 11-27-2006 | 01:48 PM

mtam08 -

You have NOT seen the car (black) yet, right? Even if she says the car is flawless, you obviously have to see it in person and make your own judgement. So before making an offer on the phone, I think you should make the trip first, then decide...
Old 11-27-2006 | 01:54 PM
Advanced

I missed where the dealer said the black car is "flawless." I'd call and confirm the deal and that the car is flawless. Make sure the dealer knows you'll be spending significant time making sure it's flawless when you arrive before you sign the papers. If the dealer is reassuring, I'd then make the long drive and buy the car. Don't forget to bring everything you need to buy it (ask the dealer for a list - driver's license, insurance card, blank checks...etc.).
Old 11-27-2006 | 01:58 PM
Senior Moderator

My RL had 140 miles on it at purchase. Still bought it without flinching as it was in stellar condition.
Old 11-27-2006 | 03:29 PM
Cruisin'

Hi,

Thank you all for your valuable input!!!

Yes, I asked her about the condition and she went out and inspected it herself before calling me back.

She said that all the miles are from the Test Drives. The only problem is I can't make the trip till the weekend. i could go on blind faith and put a deposit down....and then I would have to let go of the Carbon Gray Pearl RL that I have on hold now.

That is the dilemma....wish I could just skip work and head down there

I found some pics of the CGray online...it's actually pretty nice looking. It's just such a hard decision at this point in time. Plus, i'd have to be a bit of a dick to back out of my original deal over the weekend (BUT i'm sure he'll be able to sell it, since he was SOOOO confident he could sell it for much more than I am paying (THAT IS WHAT HE COCKILY proclaimed)).
Old 11-27-2006 | 03:43 PM
Senior Moderator

This is where dealers get you. DO NOT feel guilty whatsoever if you back out. This is your hard earned 40k, you need to walk out feeling 100% happy.

Plus, i'd have to be a bit of a dick to back out of my original deal over the weekend.

Don't believe this "walk around" claim. I've had 3 people claim the car was mint, and even had two salesmen do a similar "walk around." Both cars ended up being less then perfect, so I backed out of the deals. The third guy (private party) claimed the car was perfect, when I got there I noticed scratches on the bumpers. It's an '06 with 8k miles, so I was expecting some issues. Instead of paying 35k, he knocked down $500, and I ended up paying $34.5k for the car. I figured the $500 I saved would be more then enough to have my bodyshop guy get the car looking perfect again.

Maybe I'm picky, but I notice EVERYTHING. nicks, chips, scratches, and swirls. I would also be worried that the black car has tons of swirls since it's probably been washed multiple times with that kind of mileage.

Give them your bottomline price on the black; tell them you won't even come in unless they meet you at that price pending it's as good as they claim. If the salesperson gives you slack, ask to speak to the sales manager and use words they like such as "done deal." You also want to emphasize they will gain a long term customer.

Don't give them a deposit unless it's refundable. ONCE they agree to the price (and I'm confident they will), purchase it this weekend. For some reason the car isn't "perfect" consider the grey or go home. Be patient!
Old 11-27-2006 | 03:49 PM
06 RL Lakeshore Silver

Hi,

Thank you all for your valuable input!!!

Yes, I asked her about the condition and she went out and inspected it herself before calling me back.

She said that all the miles are from the Test Drives. The only problem is I can't make the trip till the weekend. i could go on blind faith and put a deposit down....and then I would have to let go of the Carbon Gray Pearl RL that I have on hold now.

That is the dilemma....wish I could just skip work and head down there

I found some pics of the CGray online...it's actually pretty nice looking. It's just such a hard decision at this point in time. Plus, i'd have to be a bit of a dick to back out of my original deal over the weekend (BUT i'm sure he'll be able to sell it, since he was SOOOO confident he could sell it for much more than I am paying (THAT IS WHAT HE COCKILY proclaimed)).

Just make sure the deal isn't binding if the car isn't to your satisfaction. My guys were awesome to deal with and made it very clear to me that they would bring it in from Madison, WI and that I could walk the car with their Customer Service manager and Service manager. They said you are no legally bound to buy the car if you are not 100% satisfied.
Old 11-27-2006 | 03:51 PM
Advanced

Test drives can be hard miles. You should definitely get get a special deal for a car with that many test drive miles. Sometimes dealers throw in an extended warranty in these cases.

Still, it's an Acura RL. If you're going to have problems, they'll likely be electronic, not having to do with driving hard, and of course, you do have the warranty.

It's a tough call. I think black is only good for people who keep their car very clean by hand. The Carbon Gray will look a lot better than the black dirty or after a lot of automated car washes.

Let's say you plan to keep the car for 5 years. After a year, the black will look much worse if you didn't take special care of it, and then you'll have 4 more years to frown at swirl marks. At the end, the mileage isn't going to change the residual value. You're buying an expensive car, make sure it's exactly what you want.
Old 11-27-2006 | 04:23 PM

I am with Synth19 on this one. I would not believe them until I see the car for myself. Their standard could be well be different from yours. I think you are expecting a brand new car even though it has 400+ some odd miles, right? So having said that, I would not try to deal over the phone. If you have time, go and check it out and them make an offer. If you can point things out (imperfections, etc) to the sales person, then it would be easier for both parties to negotiate. You know what? Save the hassle and get the black with tech package instead. I think you said they have one in your area, right? Yes, you will pay at a minimum another $4K but at least you got EVERYTHING....or, keep looking for a black non tech with lower miles.
Old 11-27-2006 | 05:05 PM
Cruisin'

FromTLtoRL,

For some reason, i'm seeing lots of carbon gray and variations of gray today, whereever I walk!!!

I think it's a sign from above...b/c I think it's a nice color.....

After talking to some co-workers, who said as long as the car is on the darker shade side, go w/ the 11 mile one. Esp, if all I have to do is drive 15 miles to get there, as opposed to driving 199 miles (1 way!!!).

Also, if i got down there, and there are imprefections, i'd have to have them fix it and that just takes more trips....gas is not that cheap anyways.

I do like the Carbon Gray....it has Ebony interior....the Satellite didn't even work. It was asking for a code, which tells me it really is BRAND NEW.

$41,580 out the door price....I'm going to talk w/ the wife about it tonight....i'll know then, since she is the "boss".
Old 11-27-2006 | 06:28 PM

mtam08 - good luck talking to your wife tonight I hope everything works out. The bottom line is get the RL and you are going to be happy!
Old 11-27-2006 | 07:28 PM
Retired and Loving It

Get the Carbon Gray from your local dealer. It's a beautiful color on the RL. Ask them for a trunk tray to sweeten the deal and save you a long drive. My Boss insisted on the Pearl White on her 05 RL. No matter which RL you get you'll love it. Best of luck on your purchase.
Old 11-27-2006 | 07:48 PM
Senior Moderator

$41,580 out the door price....I'm going to talk w/ the wife about it tonight....i'll know then, since she is the "boss".
COUGH*man lessons!*COUGH

$41580 is a pretty decent deal, I'd go for it, especially if you can llive with the color choice and since it's so close to you.
Old 11-28-2006 | 01:27 AM
Instructor

$41580 OTD is an excellent price unless you don't have sales tax in your state. You will probably get a little better service if you purchase the car from the dealer where you have it serviced. Personally I would go for the 11 mile carbon grey, black looks great the day you have it washed.
Old 11-28-2006 | 03:26 AM
Senior Moderator

its an acura for pete's sake. lol
Old 11-28-2006 | 12:16 PM
Advanced

I have had several gray vehicles in the last few years

And all of them looked great all the time, were not prone to show dirt and all the crap that falls out of the air here in the N/W, and seemed much easier to keep clean than a black vehicle. I have also had many black vehicles , and they require alot more maintenance to keep them looking good. I bought a new Opulent Blue Pearl RL in '05 and it had like 5 miles on it. I am glad to have been the one to break it in carefully, thereby knowing the full history of the car since new. One thing you could do on that high mileage one, would be to pull the dipstick and see how dirty the oil is. If its really black at that mileage, then I would have to presume this car was driven hard and put away wet, so to speak..
I would shy away from it just for that alone. Bottom line, you are asking for alot more work and anguish with the black color, its beautiful, no doubt when clean, but it shows everything . And you may or may not be happy with that extra feature! Good luck, have fun DanF
Old 11-28-2006 | 12:58 PM
Senior Moderator

No offense, but a new RL is certainly not in the same class as a '98 CL.

Originally Posted by asianspec
its an acura for pete's sake. lol
Old 11-28-2006 | 04:19 PM
5th Gear

Thumbs up Should be OK

I worked at an Acura dealership for over 5 years. While it's not the norm it' not unusual. If it was a dealer trade, there's your answer. Try to get a couple $$$ off the price. Good Luck!
Old 11-28-2006 | 10:34 PM
Advanced

It's not a sign from above .. dark metallic grey is the "in" color from just about every manufacturer this year. I love the look of the RL in Carbon Grey, but in the hour it took to drive to the dealership, it felt like every second or third car was dark grey. When the dealer said they could only get my second choice, Lakeshore Silver, I jumped on it. It's like the road less traveled.

They drove it in from PA, 320 miles away according to Mapquest, and it had 404 miles the first time I sat in it. I took a quick test drive and put on another 10 miles in a blink. Not only did I not get a discount for the mileage, I was told I was lucky to get one of my color choices at all. I examined it thoroughly and the finish was perfect; beyond that, warrantee will cover anything that crops up. Absolutely no regrets.