Hello to all!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 12:19 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Hello to all!

So if all checks out, Next Tuesday ill be driving back in my first Kb1.
I'm coming from an Acura Legend coupe. I had 2 in the past 15years, prestinely cared for.
Always told myself that the only viable upgrade would need to be a Kb1 and well, here we are.

Im excited for more than a few reasons beyond the obvious. 1. having more excessible options in terms of parts and the JDM market of course. Although it is still a very limited platform in contrast to other more abundant vehicles, it is still a huge plus and perk.

I have a questions, I will search through the forum more when i have the time.

What are our premium exhaust options on these kb1s? With the legend, most people went either Remus or Stromung. The stromung sounds amazing. Not sure if they are available on this platform.

Also another great midway suspension upgrade that wasn't completely street/agressive, but allowed an sublte 'drop' without compromising comfort on the legends, were the Koni-Reds
I noticed on the Koni site, they don't offer a set for the Kb1

my last question is, (May be more fitting for the wheel section, just figured i'd make it apart of my initial intro)

I realize with this platforum the wheel weld space is much larger and allows for more options.

Im wondering, what is the go to wheel size for a clean setup in both diameter and depth that i can run comfortably without poking and or messing with the fenders. Im not looking to tuck nor do i want to get to deep into camber issues, looking to fill the gap and maybe get a clean 1/2" to 1 inch drop to fill the void.

lastly, are JDM power folding mirrors plug and play or does it require heavy modifying due to Japands right hand drive?

Any and all feedback is welcomed and of course thanks in advance.

Glad to be apart of a new Family. The Legend family has been a great and resourceful experience over the last 15 or so years.

Want to keep this thing tasteful and elegant. only mods will be jdm upgrades, lighting, and suspension/wheels.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
5Zigen, Mugen, Tanabe, and Amuze all made KB1 cat backs. Good luck finding any of them. RV6 makes PCDs and a j-pipe for the KB1.

Aspec springs will drop you 3/4". H&Rs will drop you 1.4". Tein Comfort sports, Tein Street Flex, Largus, D2 Racing, and Mugen all make/made coilovers. Check out the suspension section.

Stock wheels are 17"x8". Conservative rule of thumb is stock + 2" for a clean modded look. If you size your tires correctly, the wheel diameter doesn't matter. 8.5" wide will not rub. 9" might rub in aggressive cornering or with a full back seat and trunk. Your biggest hurdle with wheels is the BBK. Specs alone cannot guarantee a wheel will clear the caliper. You need to either test fit or get a guarantee from the manufacturer with optional return.

JDM folding mirrors are not plug and play as there is an extra dash switch which relies on the MCU to control the folding. Titomang made a custom switch, and ChocBoyWonder made a custom circuit that will integrate the JDM switch.
Welcome to the forums!

Last edited by oo7spy; 08-06-2015 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:33 PM
Instructor

Thanks!
On the JDM power mirrors. Isnt there also the issue of the driver side application to the passenger side, where the mirror angle isn't quite right?

Secondly, what brand out of those cat backs you mentioned are still readily available and how do i find references to their looks and sound quality on here... (I'm actually looking into contacting Stromung directly to inquire about custom work)
Also you mentioned HNR springs, you're not suggesting to use them on the stock suspension I'm assuming lol.

Lasty, I'm not one to care much for halo's outside of BMW's but the 2 instances Iv'e seen halos on Kb1 headlights, i was blown away, they may even look better on the Kb1 than the BMW.

Excuse the eyelids....
Old 08-07-2015, 08:16 AM
Senior Moderator

You don't need the actual mirror housing. The US mirrors are the same minus the folding motors. You just need the motors and a mechanism to trigger them.

None of those cat backs are readily available. That's why I said good luck finding them. Search around the forum, and you can find 5zigen and Mugen examples. Use the "search this forum" toolbar in the top right of the forum page.

H&R springs on stock struts will be fine, but your struts are likely old and could use replacing anyway. KYB is the only aftermarket strut option, but any KB1/KB2 stock or ASpec (KB1 only) parts will work.

I'm pretty sure Sniffles had halos in his RL. I don't think it's the best DRL option.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:33 AM
Instructor

Unless numerous people hear can testify to successfully running H&R springs on base rl suspension. I wouldnt even consider it. Pretty sure theyd bottom out. Maybe aspec since those are probably more performance driven. And if all the RL has available for suspension options is KYB thats also pretty unfortunate. KYBs quality has greatly diminished. Im almost positive their systems are being asembled with cheap parts now in Mexico and not Japan.
I gotta send Koni an email and see if we can get something made... konis are the go to with ka8/ka7s(legends) aside from coilover systems
Old 08-07-2015, 02:09 PM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts
PFM mirrors:

You'll need the PFM motors from the 2011-12 RL Advanced. You'll need to create your own wiring harness and buy an aftermarket on-off-on switch. You won't be able to use the OEM switch due to what Spy said, there's a comm line somewhere that the MMC has that the pre-MMC doesn't have to activate the mirrors. Maybe a new MICU unit from the MMC might work but no one has ever tried.

Whatever you do, don't purchase the JDM mirrors as you've said since their RHD the mirror angle is different. Chocboy experienced this and I don't think he liked it very much.

(see thread in sig for more info on PFM)
The following users liked this post:
Ratheruneeq (08-07-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Can't you use parts sourced in Europe? We do have power folding mirrors since 2005 .
Old 08-07-2015, 03:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Ratheruneeq
Unless numerous people hear can testify to successfully running H&R springs on base rl suspension. I wouldnt even consider it. Pretty sure theyd bottom out.
I've been here almost 5 years, and you've been here almost 3 days. Believe whatever you want.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:41 PM
Instructor

Good point!^ also cant we gut the mechanism from the jdm pfm into the usdm housing?
Old 08-07-2015, 04:08 PM
Instructor

What does the amount any of us have been on a forum have anything to do with basic knowledge on a matter? Im not to measure dick size bud. Ive owned and been in the Acura Legend community for nearly 15 years. Clearly youre not familiar with those cars. We have similar aftermarket options. The alpha touring jdm Honda legend came with pfm and a navi and rear reclining back seats. So calm down sir.
Looking to learn about this new platform and excahnge ideas with folks on a positive and constructive level.

Lowering springs on stock suspension usually spells trouble considering youre changing the oem tube drop rate. So im not sure where your logic sees it as a worthy or acceptable scenario.

Id rather grab coil overs at that point.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:13 PM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts
Good point!^ also cant we gut the mechanism from the jdm pfm into the usdm housing?
You can but why would you do that? The JDM mirrors are more expensive and who knows how the PFM motor is. The 11-12 RL PFM motors are about $130 each, you can get them here, and the motors are brand new.

That is unless you have a pair of JDM PFM mirrors laying around but then again it'll be way more work de-pinning the wires and having to take apart 4 mirrors to do the swap. For me, not worth it.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:12 PM
Senior Moderator

What does the amount any of us have been on a forum have anything to do with basic knowledge on a matter? Im not to measure dick size bud. Ive owned and been in the Acura Legend community for nearly 15 years. Clearly youre not familiar with those cars. We have similar aftermarket options. The alpha touring jdm Honda legend came with pfm and a navi and rear reclining back seats. So calm down sir.
Looking to learn about this new platform and excahnge ideas with folks on a positive and constructive level.

Lowering springs on stock suspension usually spells trouble considering youre changing the oem tube drop rate. So im not sure where your logic sees it as a worthy or acceptable scenario.

Id rather grab coil overs at that point.
The amount of time that I have been here seeing KB1s get modded has a direct correlation to the knowledge I have about modding KB1s. You asked a question, I answered it directly, and your response was, "I wouldn't even consider it. Pretty sure [insert conflicting statement]." Then you go on to say that it's clear I don't know anything about Acura Legends even though I have owned a 1995 and a 2007 for a total of 10 years. In addition to that, Titomang gave you a wonderfully helpful response (as did thomask) which you almost completely ignored and replied with a question about your own way of doing it.

I don't care how big your e-dick is or how big anyone thinks mine is. If you want help here, you can surely find it, but coming into a community which you haven't even been in long enough to be fully registered and questioning everyone's responses isn't going to get you very far. We are a very tame bunch here, and we do a lot to help each other out. When someone offers you their knowledge, you should consider they MAY know what they are talking about before you publicly dismiss them.

If that's not your style, then, as I said, you can believe whatever you want. I won't lose any sleep over how you think a KB1 can or can't be modded.

Last edited by oo7spy; 08-07-2015 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:27 PM
Instructor

But you're still the one who decided to take a confrontational approach. Of course I'm going to question things. Its my money and I only want the best or at the very least a quality and reliable setup. It's common knowledge that running lowering springs on a BASE suspension is inferior.
A-Spec suspension is not BASE, its performance driven. Had you said (The RL's base suspension handles lower springs pretty well or longer than expected I'd feel more comfortable with that response)

Its also pretty well documented across the board that one of the biggest issues with JDM pfm is the angle of the mirrors going on the opposite setups. You made no mention of that either, that was my first indication that you neither were too familiar with them and or didn't have them.

And I also don't need you speaking on behalf of other people or assuming i didn't take anything from their posts.

As I stated you're the one who came out the gate with the douchy response!

My input comes from similarly related exeperiences and my understanding of things, when you come at me on the defensive for no apparent reason, when I've disrespected nobody or called nobody a liar, I'm not the one who needs to take a step back. I'm not arguing, I'ts called reasoning, and someone with your "experience" especially as a moderator, shouldn't be so quick to jump the gun, since you should know that context is hard to decipher via text....

Calm down young sir, we all are in love with the same vehicle, our scene isn't a ricer one and it's a conscious decision!
Old 08-07-2015, 08:29 PM
Instructor

btw this is what I came from....
Old 08-08-2015, 09:21 AM
Senior Moderator

But you're still the one who decided to take a confrontational approach.
Let me help you out there, boss. This is not confrontational. It is 2 sentences made up of a fact and a suggestion.
Originally Posted by oo7spy
I've been here almost 5 years, and you've been here almost 3 days. Believe whatever you want.
You have made several comments showing how much you doubt my knowledge. You are welcome to believe whatever you want.

As I stated you're the one who came out the gate with the douchy response!
Did I? Perhaps you should go back and read the first two posts I made here. I said nothing but helpful things to answer your questions. I even welcomed you to the forums. But I'm the douche being confrontational.

someone with your "experience" especially as a moderator, shouldn't be so quick to jump the gun, since you should know that context is hard to decipher via text....

Calm down young sir, we all are in love with the same vehicle, our scene isn't a ricer one and it's a conscious decision!
If what I have said here is jumping the gun and needs to be tamed down, you have a long road ahead of you on this forum. Good luck.

Last edited by oo7spy; 08-08-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:39 AM
Instructor

Yes sir almighty, omnipotent, infallable Guru!