Goodbye Honda

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 12:40 AM
2007 BMW 550i sleeps in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Latest from Russian carmag with respect to Genesis. (They don't have V8 model for Russian market, so only V6 used):
Won it's first battle against "russian 2nd tier" Cadillac CTS, Volvo S80 and Lexus GS300
[Pls note, those links takes time to translate]:
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...rUrl=Translate

They liked it so much, so Genesis, was put against the Big German 3 [Tier 1], and performed very well there as well:
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...rUrl=Translate

I guess, for some reason, after all of that, this car still not very popular in Russia, amazing...
Old 08-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by bkw
As of Friday afternoon and after two decades of owning over 20 Honda, our love affair is over (for now).

We traded in our 2005 RL with 128k on Friday for a Genesis, and our 2008 MDX for a Wrangler Unlimited.

The MDX had minor issues, but was an all around solid car. I just didn’t like being the 'soccer dad', and since my daughter is now in a booster and our son will be forward facing shortly, I thought it was time to get something that daddy wanted

The RL on the other hand had some serious issues near the end. I had posted about a month ago about issues with the settings in the MID and some of the features stopped working, like the side view mirrors and auto lights. I had brought the car into the dealership and they 're-flashed' the ECU. This fixed the auto lights and the seat position, but the mirrors did not work, and shortly after we realized that the moonroof stopped, then our Navi would freeze often. Back to the dealer she went and we were told we would need a brand new ECU and that Acura would not cover it since we were out of warranty.

After some squabbling with the dealership and then to client services, we had enough. This was not the first time we were at ends with the dealership and client services, and with the lack of cars that 'turn us on' (thanks Cadillac); we decided to sever our relationship.

We had every intention last week to find ourselves an E350/550 wagon, but something in me wanted to go check out the Genesis again. As we pulled up to the dealership, we saw that they had just received three units. A black, silver, and a white one. The black is almost sexy and svelte - but screams livery cab (we live in NY). The silver was a bit too bright and kinda boring. We felt that the white accentuated the lines of the Genesis and made it look like it had a nice wide stance - not to mention that our RL was white too

We got a fantastic deal on the white tech V8 Genesis, a third of the price of the MB. So far we love it. The power delivery differences between the 6 and 8 are dramatic. It pulls just as hard as my old 06 LS430. While there are tons of things we like about it, there are a few things we don’t like the super skinny 18's, and the seats. The seats feel a tad small in width and length, of which would be totally fine if there were bolsters, but alas, there aren’t. Compared to the RL seats, they’re the same - but once again when compared to our LS430, they’re lacking.

Will have pics soon since I applied multiple coats of Zaino but did not have a chance to pull the images from the camera.

Perhaps when the next generation RL arrives we'll be back.. until then happy motoring!
This thread would be believable except for trading a 2008 MDX for a Wrangler unlimited. Such a switch is so absurd that its laughable
Trade what is arguably the world's best SUV for what is undenyably the absolute worst? The whole concept is so absurd, that if true, it would be a sure sign of Acute Stupidity Syndrome better known by its acronym, ASS

Last edited by RL06tech; 08-11-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
No need to be rude to bkw, he had VERY good reasons for what he did, it was clear the dealership turned him off.

If you read his post, he WANTED a Wrangler. Nothing wrong with that. The MDX is a luxury SUV, the Wrangler is a truck for someone liking an outdoors-type lifestyle.

Move along, nothing to see here....

You buy what fits your lifestyle.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:32 AM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I considered the Genesis as a replacement for my '06 RL when my lease was up in February. I *loved* the seats, they were magnificent, and the stereo was absolutely top notch. The Navi was decent, the and power and RWD delivery were great. I drove both models, and the V6 had plenty of kick, and didn't feel underpowered at all, while the V8 was blindingly fast.

BUT -- the deal breaker for me was the horrific handling. The thing drove like an 80's Buick. It was floaty, the steering was numb, and there was absolutely no sense of being connected to the road. I tried to love that car, I really did -- I could have gotten a screaming deal on it, it looked good, it was comfortable, it had all the toys. But I just could not live with a car that felt so disconnected from the road.

I guess that would appeal to your typical Lexus buyer, or someone looking for their first "luxury" car... if you were the kind of person who liked a Toyota Avalon, you'd love the Genesis.

A sport package would make that car killer. Hyundai, go hire someone from Lotus, fix the suspension, and you'll own the world.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I test drove the Genesis V6 and loved it. However the the lady said it was too big for her. After a year of looking, we ended up with the 09 Maxima. Not a RL but good value for the dollar. I remember the Genesis being really smooth for a car so big.

I myself test drove the new TL and dang if I did not bring that thing home! I hated the styling on it, but the car drove so nice compared to my TSX I had to have it. A little paint on the beak and a rear panel and it actually looks ok now.

I hope the next Gen RL is a much better design car, I will be back home in a heartbeat. The RL was the best car I ever had. There is a lot of RL in the 09 TL. For now it will have to do.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:10 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RL06tech
This thread would be believable except for trading a 2008 MDX for a Wrangler unlimited. Such a switch is so absurd that its laughable
Trade what is arguably the world's best SUV for what is undenyably the absolute worst? The whole concept is so absurd, that if true, it would be a sure sign of Acute Stupidity Syndrome better known by its acronym, ASS
Yeah thanks for that.. perhaps it's because we enjoy offroading and enjoying top down summer driving that I decided to get a Wrangler? Have you tried taking your MDX offroad? I think not.

As for the Genesis, it's doing great. Wife has put on about 3k miles and I just swapped out the fluids for some amsoil. I havent had that much seat time in it, but will probably get some in the near future.

I've got a ton of pictures and will post them shortly.

The Wrangler is doing great too. Lifted it, picked up some 35's, and some armor. Supercharger and gears are next on the list.

oh, and I guess the topic of this thread is no longer valid since I picked up another S2000, but a shell this time to build over the winter.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Welcome back!

Cool, please post pics. An interior comparo of the Genesis with the RL would be an interesting study.

Making a track beast S2000, eh?

Originally Posted by bkw
Yeah thanks for that.. perhaps it's because we enjoy offroading and enjoying top down summer driving that I decided to get a Wrangler? Have you tried taking your MDX offroad? I think not.

As for the Genesis, it's doing great. Wife has put on about 3k miles and I just swapped out the fluids for some amsoil. I havent had that much seat time in it, but will probably get some in the near future.

I've got a ton of pictures and will post them shortly.

The Wrangler is doing great too. Lifted it, picked up some 35's, and some armor. Supercharger and gears are next on the list.

oh, and I guess the topic of this thread is no longer valid since I picked up another S2000, but a shell this time to build over the winter.