Good Lease?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 03:36 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Good Lease?

I can lease an new RL for $499/mo.plus tax/48mos./12K with $2500 down. Is that a good lease?
Old 06-30-2005, 04:51 PM
Advanced

Good Lease Part II

Here is the final #'s. Negotiated price is $42,500 ($7,170 off of MSRP). They are giving me $24,000 for our '02 Lexus ES300/Navi/Mark Levinson/31K miles.
Lease payment with taxes(7.5%) and fees = $532.87/mo.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know if it is a good price or not, but I would say go for a three year lease, the residuals are higher.

I wish I had waited a week before getting my RL so I coudl have gotten in on the 2500 dealer incentive... i didnt hear about it until today. oh well, live and learn.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:42 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just because the residual is higher doesn't mean its a better deal. Right now Acura is padding the 4 year lease with a residual of 50% plus the money factor is more favorable.

Look at it this way Dano, for every thousand dollars out of pocket is about 20-30 dollars less off the payment.

Look at my numbers from my other post. i am trading in my TL, and my 4 yr 12k lease with just drive off $1000.00 is 579.86 including ca tax.

push harder for themto go dowm on the RL. Let them know you are aware of the 2500.00 holdback acura is giving on th RL. They have room to play. just push a little more.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:51 PM
Advanced

I went to the dealer to see the RL all cleaned up and in the end I backed out on leasing the RL. Instead I am purchasing a TL-Satin Silver Metallic/Ebony with Navi. I have spent the last 2 weeks looking at cars, ever since my wife had the urge to trade in her '02 Lexus ES300.
We first looked at the BMW330i then the Audi A4 and A6. Then we drove a TL and thot that was it. We also had heard alot about the new Avalon and GS300's, so we drove both of them, great cars but we went back again to drive the TL. By now we are totally confused.
Then the dealer calls and tells me about the great lease we can get on an RL. We negotiated pretty hard on the RL lease #'s and were ready to pull the string on the deal. We drove over to the dealer to see the RL all spit-shined and take it for one more drive but for some reason that I cannot explain we both were underwhelmed with the RL and kept looking at the TL's on the lot. My wife asked me if I was leaning away from the RL and I said yeah, I think we would be happier in the TL and she said good, that is what she was thinking too. Now I'm not knocking the RL at all. It is a great car and the price on it right now is great but we just decided to get into something a little more sportier, thus the TL. The dealer is trying to locate one like we want so as soon as I get it I'll post my thots on it.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:54 PM
Instructor

you can't go wrong either way. The TL is an amazing car. If the wife is in agreement about any car, you know which one you got to go with

Congrats.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:49 AM
Suzuka Master

I agree you can't go wrong with teh TL. It is an amazing vehicle for the price. I believe you will love it

After being through the three four door sedans acura offers...in less than two years, I can say that the TL and RL are very closely related in terms of the interior. While the RL is, of course superior in quality, the TL is amazing and you cannot beat it at the price point.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:53 PM
Racer

i am looking at the TL and the G35 as 2 cars that i love and seem to be in the "right" price range for me and my wife and soon to be child. i love both the G and the TL for very different reasons.

anyway, i would much rather be comparring the M45 and the RL, but alas, not in my budget.

i keep seeing these awsome, affordable lease deals on the RL w/ monthly payments that i can afford, and it tempts me that much more. i would loooooove to own a RL.....by buying it outright after it is up.....

smoke and mirrors smoke and mirrors! i am dying here! own a TL with higher monthly payments then leasing a RL???? hmmmmm....i know a lease is far from owning and the residuals that are there when the lease is up, but damn, that is some tempting stuff
Old 07-05-2005, 01:43 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Here is the final #'s. Negotiated price is $42,500 ($7,170 off of MSRP). They are giving me $24,000 for our '02 Lexus ES300/Navi/Mark Levinson/31K miles.
Lease payment with taxes(7.5%) and fees = $532.87/mo.
I *think* I just got a very good lease deal on the RL -- I will
leave it to you guys to let me know.

The deal was $499 for 36 months.

$4832 down

With taxes it comes to $528.94 per month

Plus, I had them INCLUDE about $846 of extras into that
price including INSTALLATION (Wood Knob, Deck SPoiler, All-Season
Mats, Splash Guard, Wheel Locks).

If I had purchased the RL I would have gotten it for about $44K
The dealer estimated it would have cost me close to $800 for
60 months.

Do you think I got a good lease deal?
Old 07-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Instructor

By the way...

My apologies to Dano. I am not trying to muscle in here. I just
didn't want to start a whole new topic.

Please everyone, let us BOTH know if our lease deals are good ones.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:20 PM
Racer

see all these "per month" is what i keep looking at and am drooling! that for me is affordable. but i guess it is like renting an apartment vs owning a home.

i would love to be able to afford an RL. buying it and having a $700-800 a month payment would not be an option. but looking at these leases it is somewhat an option.

i guess i dont entirely "get it" when leasing.

i mean, i know when the end of that 48th month comes, *woof* no more car and now you need one, but you can always "buy that car outright" and that would always be more then what it currently is worth, so to speak.

i am 24 years old....and am obsessed with these lux models. i know i should "pay my dues" and wait till it is more pratical, but i am willing to pay in the $500-$600 for my next car, but not $700-$800 a month
my only fear, is what if i was to lose my job or somthing happened and i could no longer afford the car? then i would pay penalties for early termanation and be w/o a car....but that is a little extreme
Old 07-05-2005, 02:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Why not lease and buy out at the end? That is what I am doing. It keeps the the monthly payments lower - and while you will pay more in the end it leaves the freedom to jump out of the lease at the end if you want (say something new comes along or you get in an accident and it has problems).

Originally Posted by Minarets
see all these "per month" is what i keep looking at and am drooling! that for me is affordable. but i guess it is like renting an apartment vs owning a home.

i would love to be able to afford an RL. buying it and having a $700-800 a month payment would not be an option. but looking at these leases it is somewhat an option.

i guess i dont entirely "get it" when leasing.

i mean, i know when the end of that 48th month comes, *woof* no more car and now you need one, but you can always "buy that car outright" and that would always be more then what it currently is worth, so to speak.

i am 24 years old....and am obsessed with these lux models. i know i should "pay my dues" and wait till it is more pratical, but i am willing to pay in the $500-$600 for my next car, but not $700-$800 a month
Old 07-05-2005, 02:59 PM
Instructor

Do you guys think Dano and I got good deals here?
Old 07-05-2005, 03:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by vp911
Why not lease and buy out at the end? That is what I am doing. It keeps the the monthly payments lower - and while you will pay more in the end it leaves the freedom to jump out of the lease at the end if you want (say something new comes along or you get in an accident and it has problems).

see, to me, it seems that easy.....but is it?
Old 07-05-2005, 03:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by NJRonbo

$4832 down

60 months.

You got about the same deal that I got my parents. Their car only came with splash guards and wheels locks though, and they only put $4000 OTD.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Do you guys think Dano and I got good deals here?

I think you did, but I am not a lease expert. I paid 577/month for 36 month, 12k miles, no addons like you have, 4k down. About 3 weeks ago. I could have done better - obviously - as you did - but I didn't.

I think your deal is pretty good though, I would take it.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:45 PM
Suzuka Master

see, to me, it seems that easy.....but is it?
Yes. At the end of the lease call Amer Honda Finance and say you want to buy out.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:29 PM
Advanced

$4832 down

60 months.

The lease would actually cost you $635/month if you put nothing down. All the lease experts say to put as little down as possible and invest the rest and you will come out ahead. They say if you don't invest the down payment then put it where it is accessable (money market acct., etc.) and just draw on it monthly to supplement your payment. That way you make a little interest. Also, with alot of money down you risk loosing it early in the lease if by chance you total the car or it's stolen. The insurance companies only pay the leasing company what is owed on the lease at the time of the vehicle's demise.
So far I have not made my mind up on either the RL or TL. The dealer is being VERY patient with me. If I go with the RL I will probably put as little down (less than a $1,000).
If I go with the TL it will be a purchase.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dano
The lease would actually cost you $635/month if you put nothing down. All the lease experts say to put as little down as possible and invest the rest and you will come out ahead. They say if you don't invest the down payment then put it where it is accessable (money market acct., etc.) and just draw on it monthly to supplement your payment. That way you make a little interest. Also, with alot of money down you risk loosing it early in the lease if by chance you total the car or it's stolen. The insurance companies only pay the leasing company what is owed on the lease at the time of the vehicle's demise.
So far I have not made my mind up on either the RL or TL. The dealer is being VERY patient with me. If I go with the RL I will probably put as little down (less than a $1,000).

You mentioned...
Also, with alot of money down you risk loosing it early in the lease if by chance you total the car or it's stolen. The insurance companies only pay the leasing company what is owed on the lease at the time of the vehicle's demise.

Since I put the clearbra on afterwards - if my car is totaled or stolen, I won't be reimbursed for that? When I picked up the RL I added extra equipment coverage to the RL. Is this a waste of my premium?
Old 07-05-2005, 04:46 PM
Advanced

You mentioned...

Since I put the clearbra on afterwards - if my car is totaled or stolen, I won't be reimbursed for that? When I picked up the RL I added extra equipment coverage to the RL. Is this a waste of my premium?
That is what I have read on other web sites that list the advantages of leasing and/or buying. You are just out the money and options you paid for up front. Sucks huh?
Old 07-05-2005, 05:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Ugh. That does suck. I will take off that coverage from the policy then. No need to waste money there...
Old 07-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Instructor

That was my attitude. Buy TL or lease RL.

I'd hate to absolutely talk anyone into a lease, but that RL is the
most beautiful car I have ever driven.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Advanced

Ugh. That does suck. I will take off that coverage from the policy then. No need to waste money there...
Talk to your insurance agent before you do anything. I am only telling you what I have read several places on the internet. If it's true it still sucks.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:37 PM
Suzuka Master

I will call him tomorrow. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:39 PM
2nd Gear

Hi all,
I leased a 2005 Acura RL today in PA:

Down (incl tax, first month, etc): $1500+
Lease term: 36m / 15k per year
Monthly: $610
No trade-in; the Sales Manager gave me free wheel-locks.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ravipenn
Hi all,
I leased a 2005 Acura RL today in PA:

Down (incl tax, first month, etc): $1500+
Lease term: 36m / 15k per year
Monthly: $610
No trade-in; the Sales Manager gave me free wheel-locks.

Congrats on the new purchase and welcome to the forums!
Old 07-06-2005, 02:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Guess i didn't sign in here......

7/1/2005 signed for a Carbon Grey RL.

$1306 down
$586 / month
+ Accessories
Old 07-06-2005, 12:55 PM
Racer

man, i went home and thought about this all night!
i read the RL literature again for fun (prolly the 28th time)

as a 24 year old i was set on a TL or G35 for affordability reasons as my next car. more specifucally "monthly payments."

now with this, it makes me want more car for less money, even w/o actually owning it!

then the negatives creep back in:

but what happens if i cannot afford a new car when my lease is up? the buyout is more the what the car is worth at the end of the lease. does it matter if i plan on owning till i run it in the ground? i will prolly go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over the mileage set on a lease. the penalty will be severe, $.15/mile is a lot!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2005, 01:01 PM
Suzuka Master

You can always take a loan out to buyout the lease at the end. I know I will be over my miles which is why I will buy out. I wanted the lease incase I happen to get in an accident or total it - then I can just dump it off.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dano
Talk to your insurance agent before you do anything. I am only telling you what I have read several places on the internet. If it's true it still sucks.
Sorry to go back off topic again in the thread. I talked to the ins agent. He said that if the car is totaled under the lease that I am out of the picture and the details are handled by american honda finance (or whomever the leasing company is with other mfgrs) - but if I wanted to get my money back I would tell the adjuster that I am going to buyout the car so I can claim that money back. All I really have in the car right now is the clearbra and radar detector - which the radar isn't even covered under the policy. I don't see myself adding anything else to the car except the spoiler. I don't want the suspension or body kit (not a big fan of the body kit honestly) - nor do I want the wood steering wheel or shift knob. So do I really need the coverage? Probably not. Maybe I should dump it - I am paying $90/year for the coverage.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:16 PM
Instructor

Minaret,

Maybe I can help you.

I am 42 years of age. Have owned cars all my life.
In fact, it seems every few years I find myself in a
brand new under $20K vehicle. I'm not the type to
run my cars into the ground, and by the time it comes
to trade-in I usually get a few thousand dollars for my car.

Though I have a great job that pays well, the prospect
of paying $800 for 60 months for a $44,000 car is just
out of the question. I could actually afford it, but it would
be complete overkill.

Like you, I knew I could easily afford to buy a TL -- but
after riding in the RL, I knew that was the car I wanted.

I really thought this over hard. Fortunately, I work with
quite a few people who do nothing but lease. I sit and
watch as every few years these guys get into ultra-expensive
cars that are unaffordable to their income.

In my opinion, the two biggest things you have to consider
when leasing is this....

1. Will you keep your driving under 12,000 miles a year? For
me that was easy -- I only drive 6,000 miles per year. The unused
gets rolled over for the next year.

2. Can you deal with essentially "renting" a vehicle that will have
no value for you at the end of the lease?

Keep in mind that you will probably have to plop down $2.5-4K just
to get your foot in the lease.

For me, I decided it was quite plausable. Here I am in a $50,000
car paying only $528 per month for 3 years. This is a car that would
have been otherwise unobtainable. In three years I either refinance
the car to keep or I simply step into a 2008 Acura model and start all
over again.

I look at this as an experiment. If after 3 years I decide leasing is no
good for me, then I go back to buying. I may be in a better financial
position at that point to actually be able to afford that $50K car.

Perhaps in 3 years I'll want a convertable and would opt to lease
an Acura or BMW.

Yeah, I know you don't "own" the vehicle. But so what? You get to
drive a $50K vehicle for a few years at a fraction of what it would cost
to purchase. In three years you may be in a better financial position.

I hate to twist your arm to go ahead and lease. You really need to
fit the motif indicated in #1 and #2 above.

All I can tell you is that if I bought that TL would have forever regretted
not leasing the RL. There really is a major difference in ride and comfort
level between both cars, IMO. I am having so much fun with the voice
commands, guidance and all the bells and whistles that come with this vehicle.

Let us all know what you decide, but do it quick. The $499 per month
lease (plus taxes) special is about over. You CAN talk those guys into
$528 (includes taxes) per month + a nice handful of car dressing accessories
(mats, wheel locks, spoiler, splash guard, wood knob) thrown in. That
was the deal I made with $3800 down.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Think about this also. You are really paying the depreciation of the car on a lease. If you were to buy it today and sell it in 3 years, you would take a loss similar to what you would pay for the lease over three years. The amount will vary a little, but not a significant amount. (Granted this is what the dealer told me, so they may have just been BSing me, perhaps somebody else can chime in here)
Old 07-06-2005, 01:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd drive both before you make up your mind. Having owned a TL for a year and a half (and being 29), I questioned my purchase of an RL as well (don't really like leases much). But I can tell you with experience, the RL is by far leaps and bounds ahead of the TL. It was worth every dollar.

1. Electronic gadgets galore
2. Handsfreelink that actually works and understands you (compared to TL)
3. Robust navagation system (Zagat's review, etc...)
4. No butt print problems (premature wear in the TL due to cheap leather)
5. Fuel economy almost the same
6. Insurance cost almost the same
7. OEM tires light years ahead of the Bridgestones on the TL
8. All wheel drive
9. OnStar
10. Nav Traffic (if you live in the 20 markets it serves....hehehhe...I do!)
11. General quality of materials (feels exactly like a 530iA)
12. Acceleration is off by 3/10 a second from the TL
13. Plainly.....it's cool to drive a REAL luxury car..... NUF SAID!

Later.....

man, i went home and thought about this all night!
i read the RL literature again for fun (prolly the 28th time)

as a 24 year old i was set on a TL or G35 for affordability reasons as my next car. more specifucally "monthly payments."

now with this, it makes me want more car for less money, even w/o actually owning it!

then the negatives creep back in:

but what happens if i cannot afford a new car when my lease is up? the buyout is more the what the car is worth at the end of the lease. does it matter if i plan on owning till i run it in the ground? i will prolly go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over the mileage set on a lease. the penalty will be severe, $.15/mile is a lot!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2005, 03:12 PM
Racer

damn, you guys! i am almost waiting to have someone on here talk me out of it! convince me it is a bad deal!

question regarding the mileage. as NJRoonbo mentioned....i def will not qualify on the mileage aspect of a lease. for starters, if i had a RL, i would drive it all the time, besides the fact i have an 80 mile a day commute (which i love, and would really love driving that car everyday)

if it is set at 15,000 mile/year for 3 years, which brings your total to 45,000 miles....do you get penalized for driving, say, 20,000 the first year as long as you give back under 45,000?.
is it as long as you stay under 45,000 after 3 years? or is it truely no more then 15,000 a year? i mean do they check every year?
Old 07-06-2005, 03:15 PM
Suzuka Master

damn, you guys! i am almost waiting to have someone on here talk me out of it! convince me it is a bad deal!

question regarding the mileage. as NJRoonbo mentioned....i def will not qualify on the mileage aspect of a lease. for starters, if i had a RL, i would drive it all the time, besides the fact i have an 80 mile a day commute (which i love, and would really love driving that car everyday)

if it is set at 15,000 mile/year for 3 years, which brings your total to 45,000 miles....do you get penalized for driving, say, 20,000 the first year as long as you give back under 45,000?.
is it as long as you stay under 45,000 after 3 years? or is it truely no more then 15,000 a year? i mean do they check every year?
It is the total number of miles at the very end of the lease when you turn it in. Not per physically per year. They do not check every year. If you are going to be driving a lot, and you know you want to buy it out at the end of the lease. Go with the fewest number of miles possible on the lease - so your payments are lower. Then just buy out at the end. Not many of us are going to talk you out of the deal . If you are really financially unable to take the car, then you can't. The TL is still an amazing vehicle. But, if you can afford the RL. I say go for it. You will enjoy every aspect of it.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:17 PM
Instructor

No, they do not come and check every year.

You are given 12,000 miles per year or 36,000
for 3 years. What you save one year gets rolled
into next. What you abuse one year comes off next.

Driving 80 miles per day is going to kill you on the deal.

If you want that car, and you think you can stay within
the requirements, go lease it. If you can't stay in the limits,
pay it off after the lease by refinancing. I would hope they
still have the great $499 RL promotion.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:57 PM
Racer

i didnt even know they were offering the $499 deal you mentioned. i had seen the 599 deal, but not the $499

also, what if i was to put tint on it? im sure the lease has clauses for that type of stuff. straight out of pocket i would assume. eh, thats minor

problem is i am not looking to jump in till the end of the year....by then the 06's will be out and i can kiss the "good deal" goodbye. i want to pay my wife's car off first.

either way, its obvious that it is more "affordable" to lease then to buy....at least monthly

sounds like you alreayd took the plunge NJRonboy? lets see some pics
Old 07-06-2005, 04:01 PM
Suzuka Master

You can probably get your dealer to roll the tint into the lease. An extra couple bucks a month - thats what I did.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:09 PM
Instructor

Minarets,

Click Here
Old 07-06-2005, 04:17 PM
Racer

Minarets,

Click Here

MAN! i was just looking through that thread before you posted it.....

ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNND you have the color combo that i want! Celestial Silver/Ebony!!!!!

man i am jealous! looking good, very good i mights say

Quick Reply: Good Lease?