View Poll Results: Which car should I get.
09 Infiniti G37x
76.47%
10 Nissan Maxima SV Premium
11.76%
10 Nissan Maxima SV Sport
11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Going from an RL to...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 06:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Going from an RL to...

Some of you may remember a few weeks ago I started a thread looking for an opinion on what to replace my RL with. After considering buying, leasing, new used. And every possible option except the new buick. I'm not 65, 55, or 45, or even 35 so I can't drive a buick.

My ideal car (not dream car) would be a Infiniti M45x but I need a lower payment not a higher one.

So the top two choices are:
09 Infiniti G37x Loaded
10 Nissan Maxima SV Loaded - Premium OR Sport package (I can't decide).

So fellow Acura brothers and sisters HELP me decide. Which car does someone who's been in an acura for over 6 years pick?

The Maxima is $96 cheaper per month including ins gas etc.
The Maxima is has a bigger backseat for my 5 year old.
The Maxima will be the same speed and handle worse than my RL.
The Maxima is similar in size to my RL.
The Maxima has a so so interior.

The G37 has AWD.
The G37 will be faster and handle better than my RL.
The G37 is an Infiniti so the dealer service will cost more should be nicer.
The G37 is a lot smaller than my RL.
The G37 has a decent interior.

Given the economy and the fact I work for a mortgage company I'm thinking save $96 per month. I just which the maxima had AWD then I don't think I'd be thinking so hard.

Help...

Last edited by briny319; 11-18-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:05 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
i choose the infiniti.
because no way possible im going from a RL to a Maxima
Old 11-18-2009, 08:32 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
i saw a new Maxima on the road recently... it was pearl white, tinted windows, decklid spoiler...it appeared to have at least 19" wheels... it looked REALLY nice/sporty. it looked sportier than the RL for sure.... although knowing it's a Nissan, I was prettys ure it wasn't nearly as nice as my RL... but I did think it looked cool. if i wer in the car market, and that car was in the price point, i'd give it a look.

if i was looking for a fun four door sedan right now, and I could tolerate something smaller than an RL, I'd geta 335i. you add an ECU upgrade and those things are beats! 400hp easy.... you can find them used for probably less than that new Maxima...and it would be CPO...

or just say F*** it all and get a Porsche. you could grap a used Cayman S or Boxster S for similar money. if you think a Maxima is fun, try a P-car. OMFG...
Old 11-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Burning Brakes

That was probably the sport pkg maxima. Yea it looks really cool. But sitting in it is a little disappointing, and driving is also just so so. But it has lots of features and a really low payment. I'm really liking the maximas payment. It would be about $120 less than my RL. But I'm fighting with the thought that I know I'd be happy with the G37 but it's 50/50 that I'll be happy with the maxima. So is the saving the $120 worth the risk...

I wouldn't get a used BMW or porsche as my daily driver due to poor reliability and expensive repairs. Plus porsche has no room for my 5 year old... But I've often thought I'd like a used boxster...
Old 11-18-2009, 11:18 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
Can't you just buy out the RL? If you're wanting to save money, this would be your best option. There's no way maintenance would cost more than the amount put into getting a new car, no matter what people say. Unless you really desire a new car, I would think this is the better financial option.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Had a new Maxima as a rental through Hertz, hated the CVT. Why not an used 09 TL? Put a Ron Jon grill on and you'll be good to go.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you need snow traction? Do you really need AWD?

I had a Maxima (Sport model, very few options) before my RL and i can tell you that with 4 nice snow tires, this FWD handled very very well any snow or ice condition. I've been to the mountains during bad snow storms and without chains, and car felt solid. My 03 Maxima did not even have traction control.

Other than the traction, consider the interior noise, the seat comfort and the gadgets you'll need everyday (blue tooth, navi, sunroof, heated seats, stereo). I am pretty sure that a fully loaded 2010 Maxima will NOT be much worse than a G37 when it comes to these basic features. After all, both the Maxima and G37 are cars made by Nissan - you'll find lots of identical parts, components and materials. A loaded Maxima will keep you happy when you know that you are saving $100 every month and you still have all the basic toys and very similar power. With the nice VQ35 engine, the Maxima will be fun to drive. More useful torque than the RL!!
Never tried the CVT transmission in a Maxima but i am sure that you'll get used to it in a week and it won't bother you.

The only really bad part about the Maxima is.... dealer/service experience. Nissan dealers usually(not always) are pretty unfriendly. If the car is reliable, it won't matter to you. If you need to fix it often (warranty or not), it will be very different than your Acura dealer. I am not sure how much better an Infinity dealer would be.

My vote - Go with a fully loaded 09 or 2010 Maxima, maintain it well and save some money! For $600 you can get a set of 4 snow wheels/tires and you'll be set.

Good luck!
Old 11-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
My vote is, keep the RL and buy it out if you are looking to save money. Are you almost done paying for it?

On the other hand, I do understand new car lust, having gone through it earlier this year (see sig).

Of the two options you list, the G37 is the better. Better handling, more lux features, not as far of a fall from the RL as the Maxima. I do like the styling of the Maxima better, though.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by honda_nut
Can't you just buy out the RL? If you're wanting to save money, this would be your best option. There's no way maintenance would cost more than the amount put into getting a new car, no matter what people say. Unless you really desire a new car, I would think this is the better financial option.
Maintenance is part of it repairs is the other part of it. While I've loved my RL I haven't had the best of luck with it during the warranty period and there is no way I'm driving this thing with a loan balance out of warranty.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wcoy
Had a new Maxima as a rental through Hertz, hated the CVT. Why not an used 09 TL? Put a Ron Jon grill on and you'll be good to go.
I didn't like the CVT but I feel I could get used to it since I didn't hate it.
I can't bring myself to buy or lease the new TL, it just looks to ugly. I've been trying to sell myself on it, I have the booklet here next to me. I just can't do it. It's to bad. The TL I think would be closest to the RL. Also the TL lease is $50 more than the G37x and thats for a FWD TL.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by danmm7
Do you need snow traction? Do you really need AWD?

I had a Maxima (Sport model, very few options) before my RL and i can tell you that with 4 nice snow tires, this FWD handled very very well any snow or ice condition. I've been to the mountains during bad snow storms and without chains, and car felt solid. My 03 Maxima did not even have traction control.

Other than the traction, consider the interior noise, the seat comfort and the gadgets you'll need everyday (blue tooth, navi, sunroof, heated seats, stereo). I am pretty sure that a fully loaded 2010 Maxima will NOT be much worse than a G37 when it comes to these basic features. After all, both the Maxima and G37 are cars made by Nissan - you'll find lots of identical parts, components and materials. A loaded Maxima will keep you happy when you know that you are saving $100 every month and you still have all the basic toys and very similar power. With the nice VQ35 engine, the Maxima will be fun to drive. More useful torque than the RL!!
Never tried the CVT transmission in a Maxima but i am sure that you'll get used to it in a week and it won't bother you.

The only really bad part about the Maxima is.... dealer/service experience. Nissan dealers usually(not always) are pretty unfriendly. If the car is reliable, it won't matter to you. If you need to fix it often (warranty or not), it will be very different than your Acura dealer. I am not sure how much better an Infinity dealer would be.

My vote - Go with a fully loaded 09 or 2010 Maxima, maintain it well and save some money! For $600 you can get a set of 4 snow wheels/tires and you'll be set.

Good luck!
AWD would be nice. We get maybe 2 bad snow storms a year so I can live without AWD in the snow but I'd also like it for handling.

I agree with most of your post except the enterior of the maxima is a little cheaper than the infiniti.

I re did my numbers and the maxima is $84/mon cheaper than the g37x.

I'm about 99% sure $84 isn't worth taking the chance that I won't like the car for 3 years.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Perhaps the lease residual payoff on the RL lease is above what can be had on the market for a similar model/mileage/condition? But at least you know how it was cared for.

Also...if you cannot decide on another model just yet, why not extend your lease month to month? You may even negotiate a lower payment if you commit to another year.

I like the Maxima exterior styling and it looks great at night with the LED cues.
I confess I was disappointed with the interior materials and the lack of solid feel of the interior panels. Blame that on the RL's interior which still impresses me with quality, style, fit and materials.

Another suggestion....a low mileage CPO RL can be leased.

I know after attending the last 3 years of Auto Shows, nothing on the market would replace my RL, except another cherry RL.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Burning Brakes

And the winner is.... The 2009 Infiniti G37x Sedan in Black! Picking it up tomorrow.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
congrats!!