Gave up the RL - leaving the Acura family

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 01:39 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gave up the RL - leaving the Acura family

Finally decided to let her go (’05). Was the wife's DD and treated us very well for the last 8 years. We kept it immaculate, but a few cosmetic issues started to emerge that were personal deal breakers for keeping it any longer.

We tried to stay in the Acura family but are just too underwhelmed by the current portfolio. I really can’t make sense of the business decisions they’ve made over the past 5-6 years. From styling to powertrain, it seems like they’ve done just about everything possible to turn us off the brand.

And so ends our 20+ year loyalty to Honda/Acura products. Started with a Civic and Prelude and then onto the 1st and 2nd Gen RL's. Looked at BMW, Audi, Infinity, Lexus and Acura. Ended up going with a 2014 CPO Lexus GS350.

The GS is a very nice car, but it does demonstrate what a great job Acura did with the 2nd Gen RL 10 years ago. Tech wise, it was ahead of the game for the era/price point. Not as quick as the GS, but hands down a better ride. Even with all the toys on the Lexus, I still miss the refined and understated execution of the RL. From both a performance and styling point of view, they just got so many things right on the early 2nd Gen cars.

Enjoy them while you have 'em. They still turn my head when I see one on the road.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,692 Likes on 6,706 Posts
nice choice!!! GS is a sexy car
Old 11-16-2015, 01:44 PM
Be a better driver

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Very well said, I completely agree. Great choice, and the GS rides a little firmer but you will get used to it.

I never see RL A-specs but that car with the lip kit looked so amazing. Wish they had made a manual.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:22 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Originally Posted by RedRyder
Very well said, I completely agree. Great choice, and the GS rides a little firmer but you will get used to it.

I never see RL A-specs but that car with the lip kit looked so amazing. Wish they had made a manual.
ive been toying with the idea of dropping in the 6MT from the 4G TL.
would be sick!!
Old 11-16-2015, 03:11 PM
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts
Congrats. It was between a GS and the RL when i got my RL. Will probably try the GS next.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:41 PM
Be a better driver

Originally Posted by justnspace
ive been toying with the idea of dropping in the 6MT from the 4G TL.
would be sick!!

Whichever manual trans works. I don't know that I've seen any RL's swapped but then again I haven't really looked. I'm sure someone has. If there is a manual that will swap though, that would be an amazing car.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:29 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by berner73
Finally decided to let her go (’05). Was the wife's DD and treated us very well for the last 8 years. We kept it immaculate, but a few cosmetic issues started to emerge that were personal deal breakers for keeping it any longer.

We tried to stay in the Acura family but are just too underwhelmed by the current portfolio. I really can’t make sense of the business decisions they’ve made over the past 5-6 years. From styling to powertrain, it seems like they’ve done just about everything possible to turn us off the brand.

And so ends our 20+ year loyalty to Honda/Acura products. Started with a Civic and Prelude and then onto the 1st and 2nd Gen RL's. Looked at BMW, Audi, Infinity, Lexus and Acura. Ended up going with a 2014 CPO Lexus GS350.

The GS is a very nice car, but it does demonstrate what a great job Acura did with the 2nd Gen RL 10 years ago. Tech wise, it was ahead of the game for the era/price point. Not as quick as the GS, but hands down a better ride. Even with all the toys on the Lexus, I still miss the refined and understated execution of the RL. From both a performance and styling point of view, they just got so many things right on the early 2nd Gen cars.

Enjoy them while you have 'em. They still turn my head when I see one on the road.
if you don't mind me asking, did you trade your car or sold privately and what was the number?
I've been testing market for many and haven't really found something i really like/comparable to RL.
not impressed/interested in RLX either.
also can't justify what dealers been offering on my car as trade-in everytime i go in for service.

only way i'll part with my RL is if it gets totalled and insurance pays me.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by xc1097
if you don't mind me asking, did you trade your car or sold privately and what was the number?
I've been testing market for many and haven't really found something i really like/comparable to RL.
not impressed/interested in RLX either.
also can't justify what dealers been offering on my car as trade-in everytime i go in for service.

only way i'll part with my RL is if it gets totalled and insurance pays me.
I feel the same exact way, we are a dying breed, though. I feel like I have a diamond in the rough. That said, I wish I had a rear camera and the new blind spot recognition is pretty nice, but none are enough to get me to move my RL.

I've had my 05 since 08, it has 110 on the clock and I got it with 43k. I'll reevaluate it in 2018, and I'd lean toward a cpo A6, just don't like that maintenance is harder to do on that car....need computer to compress rear brake Pistons to change pads, for example. Lexus is nice, but there are so many of them. I like that the RL is pretty limited.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by rlerman
I wish I had a rear camera and the new blind spot recognition is pretty nice, but none are enough to get me to move my RL.
You know there's a really neat OEM (and another aftermarket) rear camera installation available for our RL's, right? I got the OEM one for my '06. It takes about 2 seconds to take over the screen when I shift into reverse, but then it works neat as you please. Wasn't a hard installation, either -- could DIY it if you're handy (I wussed out and paid an installer about $150).

The blind spot detection, lane warnings, and other new nannies are really the first items on new cars that have made me feel the RL is no longer fully contemporary. In other ways, it's remarkable how far ahead of its time this decade-old design was. The SH-AWD is still more modern than some new AWD designs being touted as fresh advancements today. People have criticized the graphics of the nav as outdated in appearance for years, but it works just fine, and with its excellent voice recognition and intuitive controls it's far easier to use than a lot of the CUE or MyFordTouch mess that's come out since. Carmaker after carmaker is touting that they've added the active noise cancellation and the laminated glass. The brakes are still top-spec merchandise. The engine delivers a still-respectable 290 hp and does it without troublemakers like turbos, cylinder deactivation or direct injection.

If I piled up my RL tomorrow and had the money to replace it with the most comparable available package of comfort, performance, luxury and reliability, I think the GS would be a terrific option, and of course I'd gain some new toys in the process. But the RL speaks to my personal sense of style more, while doing the tricks that matter most to me. As long as I don't mess up this thing, I'm driving it until the wheels fall off.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:30 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by RedRyder
Whichever manual trans works. I don't know that I've seen any RL's swapped but then again I haven't really looked. I'm sure someone has. If there is a manual that will swap though, that would be an amazing car.
The "easy" part would be bolting up the SH-AWD 6MT transmission. Wiring on the other hand would be wild.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyCD
You know there's a really neat OEM (and another aftermarket) rear camera installation available for our RL's, right? I got the OEM one for my '06. It takes about 2 seconds to take over the screen when I shift into reverse, but then it works neat as you please. Wasn't a hard installation, either -- could DIY it if you're handy (I wussed out and paid an installer about $150).

The blind spot detection, lane warnings, and other new nannies are really the first items on new cars that have made me feel the RL is no longer fully contemporary. In other ways, it's remarkable how far ahead of its time this decade-old design was. The SH-AWD is still more modern than some new AWD designs being touted as fresh advancements today. People have criticized the graphics of the nav as outdated in appearance for years, but it works just fine, and with its excellent voice recognition and intuitive controls it's far easier to use than a lot of the CUE or MyFordTouch mess that's come out since. Carmaker after carmaker is touting that they've added the active noise cancellation and the laminated glass. The brakes are still top-spec merchandise. The engine delivers a still-respectable 290 hp and does it without troublemakers like turbos, cylinder deactivation or direct injection.

If I piled up my RL tomorrow and had the money to replace it with the most comparable available package of comfort, performance, luxury and reliability, I think the GS would be a terrific option, and of course I'd gain some new toys in the process. But the RL speaks to my personal sense of style more, while doing the tricks that matter most to me. As long as I don't mess up this thing, I'm driving it until the wheels fall off.
Forgot to mention the 30mpg I get in the highway and 24 suburban during warmer months. Drops down 2-3 mpg in the winter, much better than advertised.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 109 Posts
Congrats! If I were looking into a new ride I would most likely go the same route you did.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:43 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by xc1097
Couple of data points on this, and I trust both will reinforce you're position (as it's a completely reasonable one). One is our car, the other a friend's who sold about 6 months ago. Both '05's w/ between 120K - 130K on the clock.

Private sale $8.5K, trade-in $5K. With dealers, celebrating or stewing over a trade in number just never made a lot of sense to me. It's the net transaction that matters.

The blind spot detection, lane warnings, and other new nannies are really the first items on new cars that have made me feel the RL is no longer fully contemporary.
All nice to have, but in retrospect I'm surprised how modern the RL really was/is. Kind of disappointed there wasn't more of tech gap between them. I will say the sound system is head and shoulders above the RL. As are the BT integration and climate control options in the cabin. A lot of the other stuff just erodes society's ability to competently operate a motor vehicle in an independent manner...

People have criticized the graphics of the nav as outdated in appearance for years, but it works just fine, and with its excellent voice recognition and intuitive controls it's far easier to use than a lot of the CUE or MyFordTouch mess that's come out since.
Need to spend more time with it, but so far, Toyota's Navi is an exercise in futility (and you can't edit while in motion!). I also like the hard buttons on the RL. Infinity does a nice job with this too on the Q70 (M37x). The Lexus is a very menu driven interface which is taking some time to get used to.

Originally Posted by rlerman
Lexus is nice, but there are so many of them. I like that the RL is pretty limited.
This! How many RL's do you really see? Not a lot and I love that. Around here it seems like there are more Lexus than Corolla's on the road. I hardly ever see a GS, which I like, but 99% of the population can't tell the difference between an ES, LS, IS or GS so they do all kind of look the same.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:04 AM
Instructor

Acura of Boston offered me $6500 for my 06 with 160k miles few month ago.
Now i have about 164k miles and not interested in the number, especially the number they offered me on RLX.

For options on cars in this segment, here are my dilema/options.
A6: C8 due in 2017, out since 2011. closest to RL in driving character, not as reliable
5xx: out since 2011, fun to drive, not as reliable
XF: haven't driven new X260 2nd gen. X250 1st gen was blast to drive, has fantastic sound. Questionable reliability, dated dash/interior. Recent models have been vastly improved and my F-Type is absolute problem free joy ride. Dying to check gen 2.
E class: W213 due in 2016

Might end up w/ CPO Panamera or S6 as well. Don't know yet as RL is still solid as hell and not having monthly payment is HUGE.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:28 AM
Be a better driver

Originally Posted by teh CL
The "easy" part would be bolting up the SH-AWD 6MT transmission. Wiring on the other hand would be wild.
I thought the wiring with my 3.2L/6MT swap was crazy, can't imagine the level of complexity above that. No thanks hah.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:30 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Don't blame you for leaving. The cost of service is outrageous, Acura gouges on parts these days, and many of the systems are not well understood by the dealers. We don't want a RLX because of the cost vs complexity, and clean RL's with low mileage are near impossible to find. Wish it wasn't so but we have pretty much soured on RL's. In fact, I could not fine ONE CPO RL for sale in the USA this week so that makes me think either the dealers don't want them either or Acura has blacklisted them to sell RLX's, orphaning the RL's. Sad day from when the Legend was THE car to own and the RL replaced it. I saw one in the Bay area for sale - 208 days on the market and no buyers - so looks like the public doesn't want them either.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by merlin the wrench
In fact, I could not fine ONE CPO RL for sale in the USA this week so that makes me think either the dealers don't want them either or Acura has blacklisted them to sell RLX's, orphaning the RL's.
just found 7 CPO RL's on cars.com
The following users liked this post:
oo7spy (11-18-2015)
Old 11-18-2015, 09:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
CPO is what, 5 years? If so, you are looking at 2011-2012 models. Less than 1,000 sold. You have to look more than once, and even then, CPO is mainly a gimmick. At best, it's a good extended warranty.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:30 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hello,

I am looking to add an back up camera to my 2007 RL Base model (no nav or tech pkg)

Any chance you could recommend a camera and how you did yours? I searched around and I am getting mixed signals about needing to install navtool and other 3rd part accessories to get it working.

On the note of the thread, I agree with everyone here. I have 84k miles and it still runs like a dream! There is nothing like dropping it down to second gear and taking the on ramp around the bend while you can feel the SH AWD doing its thing!

Congrats OP on the Lexus.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Without the DVD nav drive, you will need the NavTool. Although, I am not sure if the nav tool works with the base drive.
danperson1 (11-22-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 10:25 AM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
just found 7 CPO RL's on cars.com
They did not come up in the Acura website when I tried a couple times last week and this. Thank you for the tip. I'll keep my eyes open for one closer and not from a snow / salt state. If we can't find one then we will probably go with the new Fiat 124 Spider unveiled yesterday. Had a '73 124 for years and enjoyed it. But we enjoyed the Legends and 06 RL until things started breaking and the local Acura dealer has problems fixing them the first time.

Last edited by merlin the wrench; 11-19-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:08 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Wait, there's a backup camera mod without NAvtool? more info please! I'm stuck with my rusty RL for a while longer it seems. Could be worse, right?
Old 11-22-2015, 04:33 PM
Senior Moderator

It was a factory accessory, but has since been discontinued. Not sure if another model shares the hardware or not. Should be able to pull a part number off a dealer accessory page though.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:14 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Visiting after being gone for a while...

About three years ago I left the brand too after nearly 20 years due to the underwhelming portfolio and head scratching decisions. I was a diehard Acura fan and still have fond memories and miss my last Acura (2006 RL).

I gave up my beloved RL for a 2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe (3.6L AWD version). I fell in love with the styling, and it was my first return to domestics after 20 years. Much improved over my past experiences with domestics, although dealer network could learn a thing or two from the Acura dealers, at least from my experience.

I only had the 3.6L coupe for a year and a half, because what I REALLY wanted was the CTS-V version.

My experience has been relatively good with the domestics (dealer experience not withstanding), the 3.6L had a couple of minor issues in the year and a half I owned it. The V has only had one, an O2 sensor going bad at around 11K miles.

The electronics in the Caddy though are archaic in comparison to those in my 2006 RL. I still say that Acura does the best job integrating technology into the rest of the vehicle.

I do still miss my RL and smile when I happen to see one on the road.

Attached pictures of my current CTS-V

oo7spy (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 10:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by oo7spy
It was a factory accessory, but has since been discontinued. Not sure if another model shares the hardware or not. Should be able to pull a part number off a dealer accessory page though.
There was an aftermarket one as well, also pretty easy to install. I remember at least one or two other people on this board installed it years ago and even posted pictures. Might have been an eBay item at that time, probably also cross-listed for other models. One thing I specifically remember it had that the factory one lacks is those handy hashmarks on the screen to help you judge where you are. Search the old threads.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GoHawks
Visiting after being gone for a while...

About three years ago I left the brand too after nearly 20 years due to the underwhelming portfolio and head scratching decisions. I was a diehard Acura fan and still have fond memories and miss my last Acura (2006 RL).

I gave up my beloved RL for a 2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe (3.6L AWD version). I fell in love with the styling, and it was my first return to domestics after 20 years. Much improved over my past experiences with domestics, although dealer network could learn a thing or two from the Acura dealers, at least from my experience.

I only had the 3.6L coupe for a year and a half, because what I REALLY wanted was the CTS-V version.

My experience has been relatively good with the domestics (dealer experience not withstanding), the 3.6L had a couple of minor issues in the year and a half I owned it. The V has only had one, an O2 sensor going bad at around 11K miles.

The electronics in the Caddy though are archaic in comparison to those in my 2006 RL. I still say that Acura does the best job integrating technology into the rest of the vehicle.

I do still miss my RL and smile when I happen to see one on the road.
That thing looks awesome, Hawks!

If I might ask, other than the obvious one of acceleration, what stands out to you most in daily use that the newer iron has and the RL lacks?
Old 12-20-2015, 12:12 AM

That thing looks awesome, Hawks!

If I might ask, other than the obvious one of acceleration, what stands out to you most in daily use that the newer iron has and the RL lacks?
I can't really compare it to the RLX since I haven't driven one. Can only compare it to the RL, and even then they are really two different animals.

The V is a flat out performance vehicle that can legitimately be tracked (I've only auto crossed it once). As Neuronbob can attest since he has the wagon version.

Supercharged 6.2L pushrod V8. 556 hp/551 ft. lbs. torque. What the engine lacks in sophistication compared to other more modern engines, it makes up in brute force, although it's no slouch as it has features to support track duty. It's a pretty stout powerplant. There are guys who have modified that are getting 100-200 more hp with the stock internals.

Magnetorheological damper system (a.k.a Magnetic Ride Control) with each shock reading the road surface every tenth of a second and adjusting.

6 piston Brembos up front with two piece vented rotors (14.5 in) up front, 4 piston Brembos out back with solid vented rotors (14.3 in).

What I love about the car is it's dual personality. It can be a comfortable grand tourer or it can be a snorting snarling beast. Just depends on your mood. The Magnetic Ride Control does a great job of disguising the weight of the car (4,000 lbs).

Depending on what you read, 0-60 in in the 3.9-4.0 range. 1/4 is in the 12s.

It does have a 6-speed compared to the RL, but lags behind the RLX with the 8 speed.

From an interior perspective and fit/finish, it really was on par with the RL (can't compare to the RLX, Maybe Neuronbob can provide insight here). Mine has the optional 14 way adjustable Recaro seats. Mine is pretty quiet with no squeaks/rattles.

The acceleration is intoxicating. As I said, brute force acceleration and great handling when you want it, or comfortable cruiser when you just want to relax. Really no compromises aside from gas mileage. The only thing it can't pass is a gas station. Stated mileage if 14 mpg city and 21 highway. Mine OnStar app indicates lifetime mileage at 16. It's also hampered by too small of a gas tank (17 gallons) for a car that gets such minimal mileage. Range is about 250 - 270 miles on a tank. You do feel like you're at the gas station a lot.

But I really don't care. I giggle like a little kid every time I drive it. I feel like a 16 year old.

The electronics in the RL were much more thought out and better integrated. Impressive when you consider that the 2nd gen RL debuted in late 2004 and the 2nd generation CTS was introduced in 2008. The voice commands were much more comprehensive in the RL and more responsive.

I really loved my 2nd gen RL and if the CTS coupe hadn't been introduced, I probably would have kept it. Me jumping ship was more around my disappointment in Acura becoming more like a Buick. They seemed to have lost the "Precision Crafted Performance" aspect of their early years. There just wasn't anything in the lineup that appealed to me.

I was going to say that I'm sure that from a long term perspective, from a reliability standpoint, Acura probably holds the edge, but then again my RL had a few issues over 100K miles, especially the door handles as I had each side replaced at least 5 times, among a few other items. Nonetheless, I consider my 2006 one of the best cars I owned, and I still do miss it.

The new CTS-V is an even more impressive vehicle with 640 hp, lighter chassis and the next generation ride control. MIne had an MSRP with options of $74k, the new one is in the $90K range and could easily top over $100K.

I added a link to one of my favorite video reviews of the lineup. Also added a couple of pictures of the interior of my car.

Attached Thumbnails Gave up the RL - leaving the Acura family-interior1.jpg   Gave up the RL - leaving the Acura family-interior2.jpg   Gave up the RL - leaving the Acura family-ctsv10.jpg  

Last edited by GoHawks; 12-20-2015 at 12:14 AM.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:53 AM
Burning Brakes

I can't really compare it to the RLX since I haven't driven one. Can only compare it to the RL, and even then they are really two different animals.

The V is a flat out performance vehicle that can legitimately be tracked (I've only auto crossed it once). As Neuronbob can attest since he has the wagon version.

Supercharged 6.2L pushrod V8. 556 hp/551 ft. lbs. torque. What the engine lacks in sophistication compared to other more modern engines, it makes up in brute force, although it's no slouch as it has features to support track duty. It's a pretty stout powerplant. There are guys who have modified that are getting 100-200 more hp with the stock internals.

Magnetorheological damper system (a.k.a Magnetic Ride Control) with each shock reading the road surface every tenth of a second and adjusting.

6 piston Brembos up front with two piece vented rotors (14.5 in) up front, 4 piston Brembos out back with solid vented rotors (14.3 in).

What I love about the car is it's dual personality. It can be a comfortable grand tourer or it can be a snorting snarling beast. Just depends on your mood. The Magnetic Ride Control does a great job of disguising the weight of the car (4,000 lbs).

It does have a 6-speed compared to the RL, but lags behind the RLX with the 8 speed.

From an interior perspective and fit/finish, it really was on par with the RL (can't compare to the RLX, Maybe Neuronbob can provide insight here). Mine has the optional 14 way adjustable Recaro seats. Mine is pretty quiet with no squeaks/rattles.

The acceleration is intoxicating. As I said, brute force acceleration and great handling when you want it, or comfortable cruiser when you just want to relax. Really no compromises aside from gas mileage. The only thing it can't pass is a gas station. Stated mileage if 14 mpg city and 21 highway. Mine OnStar app indicates lifetime mileage at 16. It's also hampered by too small of a gas tank (17 gallons) for a car that gets such minimal mileage. Range is about 250 - 270 miles on a tank. You do feel like you're at the gas station a lot.

But I really don't care. I giggle like a little kid every time I drive it. I feel like a 16 year old.

The electronics in the RL were much more thought out and better integrated. Impressive when you consider that the 2nd gen RL debuted in late 2004 and the 2nd generation CTS was introduced in 2008. The voice commands were much more comprehensive in the RL and more responsive.

I really loved my 2nd gen RL and if the CTS coupe hadn't been introduced, I probably would have kept it. Me jumping ship was more around my disappointment in Acura becoming more like a Buick. They seemed to have lost the "Precision Crafted Performance" aspect of their early years. There just wasn't anything in the lineup that appealed to me.

I was going to say that I'm sure that from a long term perspective, from a reliability standpoint, Acura probably holds the edge, but then again my RL had a few issues over 100K miles, especially the door handles as I had each side replaced at least 5 times, among a few other items. Nonetheless, I consider my 2006 one of the best cars I owned, and I still do miss it.

The new CTS-V is an even more impressive vehicle with 640 hp, lighter chassis and the next generation ride control. MIne had an MSRP with options of $74k, the new one is in the $90K range and could easily top over $100K.

I added a link to one of my favorite video reviews of the lineup. Also added a couple of pictures of the interior of my car.
That's a gorgeous interior. I found the last-gen CTS a little tight for my 6'2" frame, but I always thought that dashboard in particular was really well styled.

Magnetic shocks and 556 hp are hard to argue with. I've thought a time or two about going the supercharger/turbocharger route with my RL, but I can't justify the cost, especially considering the car's basic role is as a suburban grocery getter and highway cruiser. But I've always felt the chassis and SH-AWD could handle the extra power with elan -- too bad Acura never offered higher-powered engine options.

Glad you're enjoying your wheels. We only live once!
GoHawks (12-20-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 11:51 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I would have gotten another RL second generation with low miles. There are a number of them out there right now. If anything happens to my 2006 RL I will be getting another one just like it because there is nothing to compare.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:48 PM

That's a gorgeous interior. I found the last-gen CTS a little tight for my 6'2" frame, but I always thought that dashboard in particular was really well styled.

Magnetic shocks and 556 hp are hard to argue with. I've thought a time or two about going the supercharger/turbocharger route with my RL, but I can't justify the cost, especially considering the car's basic role is as a suburban grocery getter and highway cruiser. But I've always felt the chassis and SH-AWD could handle the extra power with elan -- too bad Acura never offered higher-powered engine options.

Glad you're enjoying your wheels. We only live once!
Thank you. I agree that the RL most definitely could have handled more power than what it was given, especially with SH-AWD.

Adding forced induction afterwards is always a gamble since the car wasn't designed for it from the start. There are other considerations such as heat management, braking upgrades and such.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by 06RL/NBP
I would have gotten another RL second generation with low miles. There are a number of them out there right now. If anything happens to my 2006 RL I will be getting another one just like it because there is nothing to compare.
As for me, I don't regret my decision one bit. I am loving the V and at this point am considering keeping it for a very long time.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:51 PM
Senior Moderator

^I'm willing to bet he was responding to the OP.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:47 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks 007, your are correct.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:30 PM

Lol. Is he still around?
Old 12-20-2015, 07:06 PM
Senior Moderator

His last activity was 12/13/15.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:37 AM
Cruisin'

Lol. Is he still around?
Still around I guess, checking in occasionally.

Originally Posted by 06RL/NBP
I looked for a low mileage replacement in parallel while researching new cars. There weren't any around in acceptable condition, that's the issue. Can't stand the 'beak' on the '09 and later cars and low mileage examples of the KB1's are virtually non existent in our area. Even including the mid model change years, Acura just didn't move enough units to develop a healthy pre-owned market. Keep in mind that for North America, Acura sold less than 380 RL's in 2012. I suspect most owners will hold on to these cars for the very reason we all like them. If you're willing to drive/fly someplace to pick one up, you might get lucky.
oo7spy (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 07:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Do you have any good pics of the GS?
Old 12-23-2015, 09:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts

Cadillac CTSV Vs Ferrari California Drag Race - Top Gear USA - Series 2 - YouTube
GoHawks - if this is the color I am thinking of your exterior pics dont do this color justice it is absolutely stunning when the light hits it just right.

Congrats and enjoy!
GoHawks (12-24-2015)
Old 12-24-2015, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by 08KBP_VA
GoHawks - if this is the color I am thinking of your exterior pics dont do this color justice it is absolutely stunning when the light hits it just right.

Congrats and enjoy!

You got it! The color is called Black Diamond Tri-Coat. At night or on a cloudy day it just looks black, but when the sun hits it, or under lights it looks like tiny flecks of glass under the clear coat. Like you can sink your arm into it up to your elbow.

Thank you.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:25 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I went the other way. I had a '10 CTS which was a total money pit, traded it before something else went for a '11 Dodge Charger which wasn't much better and ended up with a '07 RL which I think is a keeper.

My experience with GM dealers has been avoid the dealer at all cost, even if it's under warranty. Every single time I would bring it in with a problem, they would do some half ass job to fix it which didn't even fix it and break something else. Then the next time I would bring it in, they wouldn't have the staff to work on the car or give me some bullshit excuse until my warranty expired and they're off the hook. I even tried different dealers. GM did nothing to make it right either. Lesson learned: I will service with the mechanic I've for 15 years, and would have been better off bring it to him and paying for it.

Honestly, I paid more in gas driving back and forth to the nearest GM dealers than I would have paid him to fix it right the first time and that is the honest truth. I would never let any of the GM dealers within 100 mils touch my car ever again. I also have a few backups if he's busy that I can use as well.

Good luck. I hope yours is much better than mine.

I was just thinking about this on my way home from work on Thursday. The electronics on the RL were far ahead of the newer CTS, but I had a '05 STS prior to the CTS and the electronics in some ways were more advanced. You could configure that car to turn heated or cooled seats on when you remote start the car (I believe it was based on outside temp) and lots of little things like that. The RL will auto-reset trip A when I get gas though.

Quick Reply: Gave up the RL - leaving the Acura family