Finally Test Drove an RL (TSX owner)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 11:09 AM
VSA Rocks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally Test Drove an RL (TSX owner)

As an owner of an '05 TSX 6MT for 1.5 years, I've been getting the itch to sell it and have been eyeing Acura's flagship for sometime now. While I'm sure nothing will beat the fun of my aspec package and mods on the TSX, I'm being real with myself that I've probably outgrown the car and might be done with stick-shifts altogether.

I decided to give the RL a test drive during my lunch break yesterday.

Big mistake.

Expectations
Before even getting behind the wheel. I was already getting expectations of a huge, heavy, and unresponsive boat. I was thinking somewhere along the lines of a Buick or something. I also heard bad reviews on the shifter paddles. People were saying that it was very slow to shift and made you feel disconnected.

The percieved way the car handled and the functionality of the shifter paddles always made me concerned to even look at the RL.

Interior
Thomas Acura in Covina has to be one of the worst dealerships in the country. You would think that Acura's flagship that had the tech package and the other one (forgot the name) would be a nice car to display in immaculate showroom condition.

Not this dealership.

This RL was flithy. The carpet was dirty with shoe prints, the floormats were just tossed aside in the backseat, and the car stunk -- no new car smell. It looked like it was 4 years old. I figured, oh well -- at least I have an idea what the car will look like 5 years from now.

Aside from the dirty interior, I was able to see all the gadgets that my TSX doesn't have like one-touch sunroof controls, memory seats, XM traffic navi, rear sunshade, side sunshades, rear A/C vents, and others. The rear seats had plenty of room compared to my cramped TSX where my 2-year-old son can literally kick my head when seated in his child seat. Additionally, the center armrest in the back was a nice touch with a slide-out cup holder.

In some areas, I found the the styling either odd or cheap-looking. It seemed the climate control adjustment rocker swtiches were from an Infinity or something. While it's difficult to explain, some of the characteristics looked like the designers were trying to hard. I also didn't care much for the parking brake pedal that was very truck-like as opposed to a lever/button found in most sedans.

Overall, the interior rivaled some cars that were priced over $60k.

Test Drive
As soon as I got behind the wheel, I immediately placed the gear into sport shift mode to try the shifter paddles. At first, I was hesitant to push the pedal to full throttle and wanted to see how the car behaved during cruising situations. The car was feeling like it was worth every penny more than the harshness of my TSX.

When I found a stretch of open road. I floored it and took every gear near redline. The first thing I noticed in 1st gear was a definate lag before the engine spooled up. At 4000+ lbs, it really takes awhile for the 290hp to reach the road through the AWD system. I pulled back on the paddle shifter and was pleasantly surprised to feel the shift immediately take place. While certainly not SMG, I found it much more responsive than anticipated. The other auto trannies I've drove in the Acura lineup were VERY unresponsive with the worst being the TL's sportshifter.

While taking turns, I found the car to have minimal body roll. One negative was the steering response and feedback as I found myself frequently running over the lane markers. I was also surprised to feel every bump in the road.

In summary, here are the pros / cons I found with the RL:

PROS
* Well laid-out and luxurious interior
* Doesn't feel like a heavy 4000-lb car in the turns
* Minimal body roll and understeer
* Aggressive looking front-end
* Plenty of room
* Responsive paddle shifter
* Gadgets galore

CONS
* Some buttons and switches looked cheap or seem they will break
* Parking pedal as opposed to lever gives the "grandpa's car" vibe
* Poor steering feedback
* No 3-spoke steering wheel with thick 10 & 3 o'clock positions
* Acceleration lags at low RPMs
* Poor gear ratios - Acura should have paired the J35 with a 6AT or even 7AT.
* Cheap-looking 17" stock wheels - they could almost pass for hubcaps

Overall, the car really impressed me enough to have a conversation with my wife on perhaps buying a CPO. It all depends on how much I could get for my TSX right now.

Just thought I'd share and compliment you current RL owners on a great car.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:17 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Fair and Balanced

I believe my title sums up my feeling of your excellent review. Refreshingly "real"!
Old 10-31-2006, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
black 6 speed, I'm sure you'll do well if you sold the TSX... they seem to hold their value quite well.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
You forgot to mention how good the audio system is. Second best only to the Audi 8.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by synth19
black 6 speed, I'm sure you'll do well if you sold the TSX... they seem to hold their value quite well.
Not his. He's experimented on it so much that it's only a few mods away from being the ultimate franken-TSX.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:26 PM
VSA Rocks

^^ didn't even play the radio. I wanted to hear the engine and cabin noise.

Come to think of it, I forgot to add to the CONS section:
* surprisingly loud interior - I was expecting a MUCH more quieter ride than my TSX. The salesguy let me take it on the freeway and I found it surprisingly loud at 70 MPH. For a moment, I thought my window was cracked open.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:27 PM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Not his. He's experimented on it so much that it's only a few mods away from being the ultimate franken-TSX.
Shhhh!

You're ruining my trade-in value.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:35 PM
Instructor

Black_6spd:

Surprised you are considering this car for purchase. Your CONS list would be enough for me not to purchase the car. Your impression of first gear lag alone would be enough to send me in a different direction (one area I somewhat disagree with you on). Poor steering response, feeling every bump in the road, tranny gear ratios wrong? Your accessment is a bit off in my view, and remember this vehicle is aimed at a different market than the TSX (TSX handles like a go-cart....RL steering bound to feel different). What you describe as CONS might not bother the target audiance (or perhaps a reason why the RL has not done well in the marketplace). With all that in mind, I think once the newness of the car wears off, you might not be very happy with the RL.

Sounds like you might be more content with an automatic TL Navi, with the exception of the rough ride, however that issue was to have been addressed with the '07 refreshing.

Bob
Old 10-31-2006, 02:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bob In Miami
Black_6spd:

Surprised you are considering this car for purchase. Your CONS list would be enough for me not to purchase the car. Your impression of first gear lag alone would be enough to send me in a different direction (one area I somewhat disagree with you on). Poor steering response, feeling every bump in the road, tranny gear ratios wrong? Your accessment is a bit off in my view, and remember this vehicle is aimed at a different market than the TSX (TSX handles like a go-cart....RL steering bound to feel different). What you describe as CONS might not bother the target audiance (or perhaps a reason why the RL has not done well in the marketplace). With all that in mind, I think once the newness of the car wears off, you might not be very happy with the RL.

Sounds like you might be more content with an automatic TL Navi, with the exception of the rough ride, however that issue was to have been addressed with the '07 refreshing.

Bob

I agree. Have TSX and RL. Had 05 TSX. All 3 are different in what they do. The TL was a bit, RL and TSX. For smoothness and comfort, RL hands down. I have no problem with the way the RL scoots. It is fast IMO. The VTEC is much nicer and longer than my TSX. It always amazes me, how such a big car can motor as fast as it does, and smoothly too. The ONLY con I have for the RL is the brakes. The TL has the best brakes of the 3. The RL NEEDS better brakes. FRom 40-45K, there is nothing better out there. Did also say, it looks damm good?
Old 10-31-2006, 02:14 PM
VSA Rocks

Black_6spd:

Bob
Thanks for the comments.

While shopping for my TSX, I ruled out the TL early. The torquesteer nonsense and the amount of them in SoCal turned me off.

Keep in mind that my experience had nothing to do with the "newness" of the car since the car was surprisingly filthy as I mentioned in my original post.

As far as the gearing ratios, lack of acceleration, and harsh suspension goes, I'm willing to sacrifice those things for some of the absolute strong points of the car such as the paddle shifter, the car's behavior while cornering, and overall luxurious look.

The lack of steering feedback may be something I simply get adjusted to since driving an RL is totally different from driving my TSX. My TSX just dares you to beat the crap out of it while the RL is a car that I could enjoy sipping coffee while talking on the bluetooth phone.

Just to give you an idea, I've also driven an E350 and some 5-series BMW's lately and I've decided that neither of those cars are for me. The RL continues to shine after driving other cars in it's class.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:15 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Not trying to change anyone's mind, but the throttle lag at takeoff seems to be a matter of "training" the adaptive transmission's shift logic.

Drive the car spiritedly and it soon begins to respond more quickly. A car that has been sitting on the dealer's lot, or which has been test-driven by different types of drivers, etc., will not have been trained and will probably not be as responsive.

I know mine has gotten to be a lot more responsive than it was when I picked it up.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:19 PM
VSA Rocks

^^ interesting point on the adaptive logic. My impression of a "lag" can also be associated with my unfamiliarity with the RL's "sweet spot."
Old 10-31-2006, 02:58 PM
office monkey

Originally Posted by dwest1023
You forgot to mention how good the audio system is. Second best only to the Audi 8.
Have you tested out every car to know this? Doubt it. I'd venture the LS460's new ML system will be superior to the RLs. The RL's system is damn good though.

As for the OP...I dont notice any first egar lag in my RL so maybe it is that adaptive logic or you just not being used to it.

Oh and I like the climate temp switches.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Black_6spd
^^ didn't even play the radio. I wanted to hear the engine and cabin noise.

Come to think of it, I forgot to add to the CONS section:
* surprisingly loud interior - I was expecting a MUCH more quieter ride than my TSX. The salesguy let me take it on the freeway and I found it surprisingly loud at 70 MPH. For a moment, I thought my window was cracked open.
Actually it's the tires that are pretty noisy on the car. The car is very quiet otherwise.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:39 PM
Instructor

Don't Jump Too Quickly

Black_6spd:

I ruled out the TL early. The torquesteer nonsense and the amount of them in SoCal turned me off
Unless you drive like a complete maniac, torque steer will not be an issue in the TL 99% of the time (I owned one for 2 years and rarely felt it). I will agree, there are a lot of them on the road (another Honda success story). Another reason to consider the TL is resale value (better than the RLs).

Keep in mind that my experience had nothing to do with the "newness" of the car since the car was surprisingly filthy as I mentioned in my original post.
I did not mean newness in that sense. I'm sure the car would be spotlessly clean if you purchased it. What I was referring to was more in the sense of the novelty and joy of having a new car.

As far as the gearing ratios, lack of acceleration, and harsh suspension goes, I'm willing to sacrifice those things
You also mentioned not liking the steering feel of the car (response and feedback). Well, you are willing to make some very serious sacrifices, in my book. The electronics are fun and useful, but the true "meat" of the car is what you described as not liking about it. As I mentioned in an earlier response, you will quickly be dissatisfied with this car.

In the RL's price range there are terrific cars out there. Look around and don't jump on this deal too quickly. Best of luck.

Bob
Old 10-31-2006, 03:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I, too, came from a TSX ('04 6MT). In the TSX I found myself anticipating the road conditions and layout because that car just loved to be pushed to the limit. It held the corners very well, out-slolomed a G35 in a track comarison but the brakes just sucked. In the RL I am more at ease and tend to drive like my age. I have 2000 miles on my '06 and have yet to WOT the car. I am enjoying the laid back, yet assertive style of the RL. I by-passed the TL because of the commoness of the car.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:23 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Not trying to change anyone's mind, but the throttle lag at takeoff seems to be a matter of "training" the adaptive transmission's shift logic.

Drive the car spiritedly and it soon begins to respond more quickly. A car that has been sitting on the dealer's lot, or which has been test-driven by different types of drivers, etc., will not have been trained and will probably not be as responsive.

I know mine has gotten to be a lot more responsive than it was when I picked it up.
Can you really train the transmission? Hmm. That is interesting. Could you please expand on this. How does it work? I'm still in my break in period so I am not pushing it. Will my transmission adapt afterwards with how I normally drive? Does it respond better each time I floor it? Will it slow down again if I keep driving like a grandpa?
Old 10-31-2006, 05:20 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by guia x
Can you really train the transmission? Hmm. That is interesting. Could you please expand on this. How does it work? I'm still in my break in period so I am not pushing it. Will my transmission adapt afterwards with how I normally drive? Does it respond better each time I floor it? Will it slow down again if I keep driving like a grandpa?
I think the answers to all those questions is "yes".

An adaptive transmission's computer takes note of how you drive, and it actually adjusts things like shift points and throttle tip-in to match your driving habits. So, if you (for instance) go on a road trip it will, after a few days, adapt to being in 5th gear at highway speeds most of the time and you'll find its low-speed, off the line performance is a little weaker. This is because it upshifts sooner and stays in higher gears for highway economy.

Get back to urban driving and it readjusts itself to stop-and-start, lower speed driving again.

Ditto for more aggressive acceleration ... drive more sportingly for awhile, and it will shift more aggressively, etc. in response.

Honda/Acura isn't the only carmaker to use this technology, and it's been around awhile. That's one reason a new car seems to drive differently until you have a few miles on it. It's still "learning" your driving style. And if you ever have your ECU reflashed, you'll see how big a difference it can make, because it goes back to the original settings!
Old 10-31-2006, 05:28 PM
Racer

Honda/Acura isn't the only carmaker to use this technology, and it's been around awhile. That's one reason a new car seems to drive differently until you have a few miles on it. It's still "learning" your driving style. And if you ever have your ECU reflashed, you'll see how big a difference it can make, because it goes back to the original settings!
Thank you. Wow, I never knew this existed. How long has Honda been using this and where was is first used? Is it only on the RL?
Old 10-31-2006, 06:42 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by guia x
Thank you. Wow, I never knew this existed. How long has Honda been using this and where was is first used? Is it only on the RL?
Someone more knowledgeable will have to answer that one.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:10 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
This learning technology has been around for quite some time. My faithful little 2001 Prelude had this feature and it worked quite well. And my RL, now with 2500 miles on it, definitely responds faster now that it has learned my driving style. At first I thought the slow throttle response was a problem with drive by wire but now, I have no more issues with this. The heavy RL pulls ahead quickly when I want it to. Pretty happy with the acceleration. And I'm comparing it to a far lighter car so I think the RL does pretty well.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:26 PM
Moto Enthusiast

ECU/EMS adaptive technology has been around since the late 80's. The technology was first used in F-1 and then slowly trickled down into production cars. ECU flashing for cars with OBD-II became more prevalent in the late 90's (95 or 96?). My 2001 IS300 had an adaptive ECU which learned the driver's style (I know because Lexus announced a TSB to have it reflashed). As to who invented the technology? Bleh, I don't know, but that's what Google's for.

As to the RL, I'm with you on the lag thing. I have an '05 and I've put about 20k miles on it, but it still seems laggy coming out of first. Maybe it's because sometimes I drive like an old lady (it saves gas) and the ECU's confused to hell because other times I'm a lead foot. Anyhow, I find the car accelerates much better when I just leave it in auto and don't mess around with the paddle shifters.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:33 PM
06 RL - Carbon Gray Pearl

Is it true another way of "resetting" is by disconnecting the battery connection?
Old 10-31-2006, 07:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes unplugging the battery's negative will reset the ecu.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Nice review, I agree with many of the pros and cons. Some of them are fixable:

CONS

Didn't have this issue with my car.

Yeah, I thought Acura got rid of this after the 2G TL (which I also owned). I miss the e-brake in the center of the car.

* Poor steering feedback

A-Spec fixes this (thank goodness!)

Disagree with this one, I like four-spoke steering wheels, but I do miss the thick 10 and 3 bolsters of the TL's steering wheel

Training the tranny fixes this!

This is only an issue when asking for passing power on the freeway, but is fixable by pressing the go-pedal a little harder!

A-Spec fixes this. Too bad there are few aftermarket wheels that fit the RL's odd bolt pattern and offset.

I would add the mushy brakes, they suck as I have to push REALLY hard for braking power. But I'm used to that now.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rob L
Have you tested out every car to know this? Doubt it. I'd venture the LS460's new ML system will be superior to the RLs. The RL's system is damn good though.

As for the OP...I dont notice any first egar lag in my RL so maybe it is that adaptive logic or you just not being used to it.

Oh and I like the climate temp switches.
Yes I have. Have not heard the one in the new Ls460, it just came out. I do have a test drive scheduled. I have heard the ML system in the 430? and it is not as good as the RL.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:40 PM
VSA Rocks

Black_6spd:

Unless you drive like a complete maniac, torque steer will not be an issue in the TL 99% of the time (I owned one for 2 years and rarely felt it). I will agree, there are a lot of them on the road (another Honda success story). Another reason to consider the TL is resale value (better than the RLs).
While agree that the TL's torque steer will come into play only untilhard driving conditions, my main gripe is the fact that it doesn't reward you for pushing the car to it's limits unlike my modded TSX or a BMW 330i. While the TL is definately faster, it's strongpoints are under cruising situations IMO.

I bigger reason I'd never consider the TL is because it reminds me too much of my TSX (if that make any sense). I was eyeing the RL because of it's contrast to the other Acuras -- not it's similarity.

I did not mean newness in that sense. I'm sure the car would be spotlessly clean if you purchased it. What I was referring to was more in the sense of the novelty and joy of having a new car.
You have a good point. I will attempt to be objective as possible in this decision.

You also mentioned not liking the steering feel of the car (response and feedback). Well, you are willing to make some very serious sacrifices, in my book. The electronics are fun and useful, but the true "meat" of the car is what you described as not liking about it. As I mentioned in an earlier response, you will quickly be dissatisfied with this car.
If my priorities in a car were similar to what it was 2 years ago, I'd stick with my TSX. Now, I'm leaning more toward a more luxurious auto without sacrificing all of the driving pleasures.

In the RL's price range there are terrific cars out there. Look around and don't jump on this deal too quickly. Best of luck.

Bob
I've considered many other cars out there including a CPO E46 M3, E350, and 335i for sometime now. When I take into account my needs for a family hauler with occasional spirited driving, the RL is looking the best at this moment.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Black_6spd
CONS
* Poor steering feedback
I can't say I see these as cons. The buttons don't look cheap to me and they especially don't feel cheap either. Coming from a 3G TL, they are a great improvement.

The parking pedal I could live with because our MDX has it as well. Although it's uses a different method to release the parking brakes (gotta pull a lever instead of pressing the foot pedal down again), atleast I use my foot to apply it. I always had problems with it when we had an 03 TL and 04 TL because when we switch cars, I always press on a phantom foot pedal on my 04 TL.

I have no problems with the steering feed back. It's fine for my needs.

I also prefer the 4 spoke wheel. I like to put my hands on the bottom of the wheel. I can't do that on our MDX.

I have not had a chance to punch it yet with the car so I can't say anything about the acceleration. Waiting for the break in period to pass. It seems fine though.

As for the stock rims. I like it better than the A-spec wheels. I actually had my dealer swap my wheels out because they had the A-spec wheels on. To me, chrome makes it look cheap.