FINALLY found the source of the dash rattle!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 08:31 PM
VIP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking FINALLY found the source of the dash rattle!

After almost a year of putting up with the dull rattle that seems to eminate from within the drivers side dash, I found the source of it!

I'll make this short... The next time you hear the rattle raise your left foot until it touches the panel that is directly located above your feet. I've found that it is just loosely held in place and allows the panel to vibrate. Or if you want to test and see if your panel rattles, just kick it lightly and see if you can hear it.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:48 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Congratulations!
Old 01-02-2008, 07:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:01 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my ever-lasting haunting dashboard creaking was actually from the exterior windshield plastic trim right on the A-pillar. It went away if I pushed the pieces around. Incredible, isn't it?
Old 01-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Intermediate

I have a rattle on the passenger side around the a-pillar.. more of a creaking almost on city driving and goes away when on the highway at 60+. So I figured the air pressure at higher speeds must be pushing something to keep it from rattling. ..maybe that windshield trim you mention.. I will have to try it.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Strategr
I have a rattle on the passenger side around the a-pillar.. more of a creaking almost on city driving and goes away when on the highway at 60+. So I figured the air pressure at higher speeds must be pushing something to keep it from rattling. ..maybe that windshield trim you mention.. I will have to try it.
I have the windshield trim rattle. I can reproduce it by pressing on a specific part of the trim. It's more noticeable when it's really cold outside. It's a minor annoyance at this point.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by skiunow
After almost a year of putting up with the dull rattle that seems to eminate from within the drivers side dash, I found the source of it!

I'll make this short... The next time you hear the rattle raise your left foot until it touches the panel that is directly located above your feet. I've found that it is just loosely held in place and allows the panel to vibrate. Or if you want to test and see if your panel rattles, just kick it lightly and see if you can hear it.

I had a rattle in the dash of the car that I replaced my RL with- a 2004 TL. I actually heard it the night I drove my brand new TL home. It turned out to be a loose bolt in the dashboard. Easy fix, but timie consuming. The dealer had to remove the entire dashboard.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:47 AM
Intermediate

I found my rattle. It is in the area above the passenger sun visor, inside the roof area. I can press and hold it and the rattle goes away. Hopefully the dealer can fix it without too much dismantling.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:08 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you tired to do anything to your trim yet?

Originally Posted by Strategr
Old 01-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Intermediate

I found the exact piece that rattles now. It is the inside trim piece of the sunroof. If you were to slide back the sunroof cover, then reach up on the passenger side like you were hanging from a ledge, there is a metal trim or frame piece there. It doesn't feel loose but pushing it gives a rattle and holding it while driving stops the rattle.

I feel screw holes in there, but not sure if a quick turn would do the trick... haven't looked at it closer yet.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still have a rattle by the driver's side a-pillar for 2 years now. If I push on the air vent on the dash, the noise stops. One dealer tried to fix it 4 times, with no success. Another dealer couldn't hear it. It eventually goes away for a while, but always comes back. When it comes back it sounds like a typewritter--very annoying to say the least!
Old 03-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm trying to diagnose a passenger-side dashboard rattle without starting a new thread. This one emanates from the passenger side when going over certain bumps.

It is also a dull-sounding rattle, which has me wondering if it isn't similar to the OP's problem, but on the other side. Has anyone tried removing the passenger-side underdash panel to poke around under there?

I've tried emptying the glovebox, and taking out the brochure tray as the source seems to be coming from behind that area.

Rob144
Old 03-24-2008, 10:52 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the same rattle and didn't do anything about it for about three months until it finally "got on my nerves". So I brought it to the dealer and started tapping on the passenger side underdash which it made that annoying rattle. The dealer put some stuffing which stop the rattle FOR A WHILE as the horrible road conditions in my area losin' it up again. I just keep some trance playing so I don't think or hear about it. Hope you have better luck than me. =)
Old 03-24-2008, 11:49 PM
Proboscis-free zone

I have a tiny rattle in the driver's side B pillar. It seems to be coming from the shoulder harness adjuster.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Search on NavyDoc's rattle fixes

Originally Posted by VOdoc
I have a tiny rattle in the driver's side B pillar. It seems to be coming from the shoulder harness adjuster.
NavyDoc had a fix for this one, I seem to recall that he even had pix on how to fix it.

I have heard something by my left ear once, but could never reproduce it.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob144
I'm trying to diagnose a passenger-side dashboard rattle without starting a new thread. This one emanates from the passenger side when going over certain bumps.

It is also a dull-sounding rattle, which has me wondering if it isn't similar to the OP's problem, but on the other side. Has anyone tried removing the passenger-side underdash panel to poke around under there?

I've tried emptying the glovebox, and taking out the brochure tray as the source seems to be coming from behind that area.

Rob144
Bumping my rattle!

This one seems to be getting worse as time goes on (along with the miles). Has anyone had any luck curing a passenger-side dash rattle that seems to coming from under the dash somewhere?

I took out the passenger underdash panel and added some sticky-back padding to the piece that holds the blue footwell lighting, but no change. Sometimes, it really is hard to tell where sounds are coming from...

Rob144
Old 08-29-2020, 11:48 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Rattle in my 2010 RL seems to be coming from the dash area, from the top maybe when driving over 60 MPH. I have checked the windshield trim pieces and saw that right side is a bit loose and I might need to use some adhesive. I don't really think that the rattle is caused by that trim piece as the sound is on the left side, not the right. I put the phone while recording to the door, lowered it to the left kicker panel, bigger left side vent, to steering wheel and pretty much only top of the dash above the speedometer seems to rattle. I have also read that there could be something loose in the steering wheel such as screws, wires, will check that too.

Here is the video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/uyP1n5Ecm2NfxVYV9 - rattle is heard when I lift the phone to the upper dash