Figure this one out, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Figure this one out, HELP!

I have an 05 RL with 70,000 miles.
Drove home last night with no problems.
Go out today and the car does not acknowledge fob. I had to use the key to open the door. The car would not start normally. I also had to use the key to start the car. It did start. But the horn blew for two minutes before stopping.

Here is what does not work:
Nav screen does not work. No climate, no radio info......blank. Radio does work.
Driver seat only moves when car is running. Pass seat OK.
Power door locks do not work.
All presets on radio are off by one button. 1 is 2, 2is 3, 6 is 1 etc......
Gas guage reads full. The tank is not full.
Push the center Nav knob and only rer speaker work.

Everything else works fine.
It is at the dealer right now.
Any ideas?
Old 04-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
It will be interesting to see what the verdict is. My first reaction is the fob battery is dead, but you should have been given a warning about that. I suppose that you could have worn out the fob battery. I remember that one time, I was sitting in the house, and a car alarm went off the honking. I figured it was in the street, since I was on the second floor. I was later on the first floor and heard it again, only this time it sounded like it was in the garage, and of course it was the RL.

It turns out I had taken the fob off my key chain and gave it to my wife because hers was somewhere else inconvenient. I put it back on the key chain, and apparently the orientation was reversed, and whenever I sat in a certain position, part of the key chain was leaning on the panic button. I suppose you could have done something like that and drained the battery while not in proximity to the car.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmmm, widespread electronic craziness. This is going to be way over the head of any DIYer and very possibly the dealer too. The only single point of failure I can see here is the ECU. My guess is it got cooked somehow.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 421 Likes on 315 Posts
I had the same symptoms when my battery cable was loose after changing the battery
I bet the car battery is very low or loose cable. by coincidence, I have 2005 with 70K miles and I replaced the battery about a month ago
Old 04-22-2008, 02:36 PM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

Hope you have an extended warranty if it is not the battery.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Battery issue, cost 100 bucks for new battery. My battery started to fail this winter which caused a myriad of electronic gremlins. I took it to the Honda dealer and they told me it was fine. The next day it started acting up again. I went to the Acura dealer to pick up our new MDX sport (DREAM SUV STRONGLY RECOMMENDED) and I also picked up a new battery for the RL, problem solved and it was only 100 bucks. Simple DIY job. My acura dealer is 100 miles away so simply swapping the battery myself was a cheaper and simpler proposition. To get your radio and nav systems back you must enter the appropriate codes, if you don't have them somewhere (I keep mine in owners link) simply call your dealer and they will tell you.
Regarding owners link, you can now buy any part for your vehicle direct, it comes to your home in a day or 2. Its an excellent thing to have, you can now have the same ordering mechanism that the dealer has and have it shipped home pronto it saves trips to the dealer. Finding some parts is a little frustrating but still well worth it.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:40 PM
Pro

Rl

I agree, try new car battery and fob, you have nothing to lose, they are old anyway.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Intermediate

Battery is fine. It turned out to be the drivers door handle. They are overnighting a new one and it should be good to go tomorrow. I am only paying for the handle. The 4+ hours of labor they are taking care of. Good deal.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:17 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sometimes a little technology is good....sometimes a lot of technology is a little hell!
Old 04-25-2008, 06:09 AM
3.2 VTEC

Originally Posted by bandchief
I have an 05 RL with 70,000 miles.
Drove home last night with no problems.
Go out today and the car does not acknowledge fob. I had to use the key to open the door. The car would not start normally. I also had to use the key to start the car. It did start. But the horn blew for two minutes before stopping.

Here is what does not work:
Nav screen does not work. No climate, no radio info......blank. Radio does work.
Driver seat only moves when car is running. Pass seat OK.
Power door locks do not work.
All presets on radio are off by one button. 1 is 2, 2is 3, 6 is 1 etc......
Gas guage reads full. The tank is not full.
Push the center Nav knob and only rer speaker work.

Everything else works fine.
It is at the dealer right now.
Any ideas?
all that from a door handle??? not unlocking from the fob...understandable, sounding the alarm...still understandable.
nav, radio, climate control not working...WTF
driver's seat moving...WTFFF
presets rotating 1 position to the right...i think sum1 is fucking with you.
gas gague...yes, some1 is definately fucking with you.

next thing you know, your brakes are gonna be cut.
lol jp
Old 04-25-2008, 06:15 AM
3.2 VTEC

on a second thought you probably slept on your keys and were fob fucking your car all night...in the morning it was all fucked up and cross eyed.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Safety Car

seems odd to me that it was the door handle, but you never know
I would take the battery out and have it tested. A good early warning on the battery going is that the steering wheel stops adjusting when you start the car. I had this symptom for 3 months before replacing battery. Had battery tested - showed good voltage, but failed the load test.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:46 AM
7th Gear

I had the same issue it was also the dirver door handle. The passenger one also had an issue it wouldnt lock when you press the dimple.

After they changed boith handles I am now having a problem while driving it seems as thought the locks try to lock periodically. This happens when I drive for a while and it will just try to lock on its own.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Safety Car

there was a TSB on 05s regarding the doors locking periodically while driving. It was one of the very first issues.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:45 AM
Intermediate

Well the handle came in. Wrong part in correctly numbered box. Next day the handle comes in. I pick the car up Sat. While driving the doors try to lock themselves a couple times, Nav screen does not save settings when you turn off car and restart, gass guage doesn't work.
Take the car right back. I egt some problems fixed, but get two new problems. My dealer in an hour away and I am getting frustrated. It was last summer when I waited 5 WEEKS for an AC Compressor.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by bandchief
Well the handle came in. Wrong part in correctly numbered box. Next day the handle comes in. I pick the car up Sat. While driving the doors try to lock themselves a couple times, Nav screen does not save settings when you turn off car and restart, gass guage doesn't work.
Take the car right back. I egt some problems fixed, but get two new problems. My dealer in an hour away and I am getting frustrated. It was last summer when I waited 5 WEEKS for an AC Compressor.
The problems you describe could indicate either that the car needs a reboot (more likely, and a 15-minute process at the most including driving your car in and back to you) or the battery is going bad (less likely given you didn't have these issues prior to your repair).

I'm surprised that when you brought it back, they didn't just do the reboot. Were they closing when you brought it back?
Old 04-28-2008, 06:22 AM
Intermediate

Service closed at noon on Sat.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:02 PM
9th Gear

yes i have the same problem and my car is going to dealer next week just because they had to order the driver door handle. all this problems just because of a door handle
Old 07-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RL06tech
Battery issue, cost 100 bucks for new battery. My battery started to fail this winter which caused a myriad of electronic gremlins. I took it to the Honda dealer and they told me it was fine. The next day it started acting up again. I went to the Acura dealer to pick up our new MDX sport (DREAM SUV STRONGLY RECOMMENDED) and I also picked up a new battery for the RL, problem solved and it was only 100 bucks. Simple DIY job. My acura dealer is 100 miles away so simply swapping the battery myself was a cheaper and simpler proposition. To get your radio and nav systems back you must enter the appropriate codes, if you don't have them somewhere (I keep mine in owners link) simply call your dealer and they
will tell you.
Regarding owners link, you can now buy any part for your vehicle direct, it comes to your home in a day or 2. Its an excellent thing to have, you can now have the same ordering mechanism that the dealer has and have it shipped home pronto it saves trips to the dealer. Finding some parts is a little frustrating but still well worth it.
I am highly interested in this owners link statement. I am aware of registering with MyAcura.com and being able to purchase OEM parts and have them shipped to your home. But in actuality, the order is processed by your closest Acura dealership and you pay as much as when you went directly to the dealership. It is simply a more convenient. A

Are you referring to an alternate method of ordering OEM parts? If so, would you achieve any savings vs. using the dealership/MyAcura.com method?

I am searching for a way to buy OEM parts directly and bypassing the dealership mark up. I honestly do not know if this is possible. I would predict that Acura protects the dealership from this happening.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
There are several official vendors in this forum and several OEM vendors online that will almost ALWAYS be less than you dealership (even with shipping). Of course for many accessories, Ebay is also worth a shop and many Acura Dealers are found there.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:00 PM
2017 TLX AWD Adv FBP/EB

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by stevesrl
I am highly interested in this owners link statement. I am aware of registering with MyAcura.com and being able to purchase OEM parts and have them shipped to your home. But in actuality, the order is processed by your closest Acura dealership and you pay as much as when you went directly to the dealership. It is simply a more convenient. A

Are you referring to an alternate method of ordering OEM parts? If so, would you achieve any savings vs. using the dealership/MyAcura.com method?

I am searching for a way to buy OEM parts directly and bypassing the dealership mark up. I honestly do not know if this is possible. I would predict that Acura protects the dealership from this happening.
Steve, not sure if you can by-pass, but there are a couple of sponsor dealerships on AZ that discount parts/accessories. I just bought some floor mats for our '05 MDX and Kaleb gave me a good deal on them. I cut and paste his Sig, you can search the forums to find his posts.

Kaleb Cunningham __________________
---WholesalePartsGuy
Show'n the luv to Acura Enthusiasts!
Always 20% off for Acurazine Members!

Shop online at:
http://www.prestigeacura.com/estore_parts.htm
Note: eStore pricing does NOT reflect Acurazine Member Discounts.

Prestige Acura
707-578-3960
kcunningham@hanselauto.com
Old 07-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
interested on the outcome of this one please keep us updated
Old 07-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
BigKat, First and foremost: I love your RL.

I appreciate the lead. I will be making contact as I have a small list of things I need. A few items are really specific like a new front undercarriage splash shield.