Fair price to install decklid spoiler by dealer??

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
Fair price to install decklid spoiler by dealer??

i just ordered the decklid spoiler for my 2006 RL.

not sure if it is an easy DIY install - with double stick tape or if it requires drilling of the trunk.

i ordred it through my dealer's ebay site - $285. which seemed like a decent price. I may have them install it just to get it covered under my factory / CPO warranty... and make sure it's done right.

what would be a fair price to have the dealer install it??

i'm off to get my windows tinted this afternoon... the car is going to be looking GOOD...
Old 08-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have never been too mechanically inclined myself, so I also went the dealer's route for installing my rear deck spoiler & wood steering wheel. Definitely a good idea if you want to drill/bolt on the rear lip, you also get the peace of mind of the 12month/12k mile warranty with the install. My dealer charged me $150 for both install, so I don't know what the exact breakdown was.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:28 PM
Drifting

just called my dealer. they want $275 to install it - seems kind of high to me. that's JUST the spoiler....

they also said there were optional springs to install to deal with the extra weight of the spoiler..i can't imagine i need new "springs" or stuts on my trunk to deal with the weight of a little decklid spoiler?!?!?!?
Old 08-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Burning Brakes

The springs = support strut are included in the OEM rear deck spoiler. $275 is a total rip! I can fax you my invoice for install, but anywhere from 100-125 would sound reasonable?

Here is the installation instruction if you go the DYI route:

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/AI/BII27035.pdf
Old 08-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Rhlieu
The springs = support strut are included in the OEM rear deck spoiler. $275 is a total rip! I can fax you my invoice for install, but anywhere from 100-125 would sound reasonable?

Here is the installation instruction if you go the DYI route:

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/AI/BII27035.pdf
+1. I bought the spoiler from an Acura dealer on eBay and I paid $100 for the local dealer to install it. There is some drilling required into the deck lid, though some here have DIY'd it (I think Neuronbob did) with heavy duty 3M double-sided tape only.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I DIY'd it with 3M double-sided automotive sticky tape. It took 15 minutes to install. It stuck through hot summers and below-zero temps with no trouble. I didn't bother with the new struts and it didn't bother me that the trunk popped open less than before. HTH!
Old 08-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
If you don't feel comfortable with the DIY, then I recommend you call around to a few different dealers, there is no real set price, all dealers are different.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by 23109VC
i just ordered the decklid spoiler for my 2006 RL.

not sure if it is an easy DIY install - with double stick tape or if it requires drilling of the trunk.

i ordred it through my dealer's ebay site - $285. which seemed like a decent price. I may have them install it just to get it covered under my factory / CPO warranty... and make sure it's done right.

what would be a fair price to have the dealer install it??

i'm off to get my windows tinted this afternoon... the car is going to be looking GOOD...
What website?
Old 08-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Drifting

i went to ebay to look for online vendors, and there are quite a few Acura dealerships that sell the parts online. I found my local dealer selling online.

DCH Acura of Temecula, CA. has an ebay site where they sell OEM accessories for various Acura models. they don't appear to sell/stock every item, for example, I did not see a listing for the Aspec suspension or body kit, ,but they did list the more commmonly purchased items like decklid spoiler, all season floor mats, trunk tray, etc.

Their price was not THE lowest price onilne, but it was within $20 of what I found to be the lowest price, and since I could avoid shipping, and just pick it up from them, and have htem install it too - Iordered it from them.

now I find out they want $275 to put it in, which I think is high. Actually, the guy said if I want the "springs" installed too then the labor charge is more like $400~!!!!

the $275 rate was JUST to put on the spoiler and NOT put on the springs.

I'll look at the spoiler and see if I can do it myself. it's not like i'll be hanging off the thing, so I would imagine that having it just stuck on with the 3M double stick auto tape would probably be enough... but it would be nice to have it installed by the dealer...just for peace of mind.

maybe I can grab another accessory and get htem to do them all at the ame time for a "reduced" rate... ?

the other stuff I'd like to add would be the backup camera, ipod adaptor.

i'm not planning on any performance stuff, like aspec suspension intake, exhaust, etc. i bought the RL to be a comfortable cruiser car to go to work in, and act as a secondary family car... we have an MDX and we are putting too many miles on it, so the RL will double as our second family car, so the kids will ber in it a lot and I don't want it bumpy, stiff riding, or loud. I have an older boxster in the garage for "aggressive" driving...so I can leave the RL for purely being relaxing and plush.

i am not a huge fan of the stock wheels..I can live with them..but I'd like some 18s with a better looking design.. the aspec wheels are nice...those wheels that were on the visionary racing car are gorgeous...something lke that would be cool... that's about as far as I'd go for "performance".... i'd still want the car to ride smooth... but slightly upsized wheels would probably enhance handling slightly w/out doing much to hurt ride comfort...

anyway.... my spoiler should be here next week...i'll get it on, and upload some pics.

the window tint turned out very nice. I added 3M to all the windows - sides, rears, and back window. not sure the exact %..it wasn't the 5%/limo stuff, but it was the next darkest.. 20% or 35% something like that. in direct sunlight, if you look at it from the front/sides you can sort of see through to see sillouettes..etc.. from the back it looks fairly dark. in bright bright sunlight you can still see though it, in indirect light or shade, it looks reallyh dark. if i put UP the rear and side sunshaes, it makes the rear look like limo tint...

overall, adding the tint made the car look 10X better... the spoiler will look even sweeter. it reallhy is a nice looking car.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Burning Brakes

I tinted my RL a few months ago. The tint shop suggested a 15% tint (I believe that is the next level up from the limo) since I have a white RL with "light" parchment interior. However after a couple night session of driving, I kinda regret tinting it so dark!

Did they cut a spot for the 3rd brake lights in the rear windows?
Old 08-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Drifting

I tinted my RL a few months ago. The tint shop suggested a 15% tint (I believe that is the next level up from the limo) since I have a white RL with "light" parchment interior. However after a couple night session of driving, I kinda regret tinting it so dark!

Did they cut a spot for the 3rd brake lights in the rear windows?
YES. perfect rectangular cut out for rear brake light in the window...

also,, i called a few more dealers and got a quote to install the decklid spoiler for $170.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
$60
Old 08-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Burning Brakes

^^^

Phil, I won't even try to ponder what type of deals you had to do "under the table" to get such a fab deal!
Old 08-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Burning Brakes

^^^

Phil, I won't even try to ponder what type of deals you had to do "under the table" to get such a fab deal!
LOL.... like it says, "under the table"..... the tech at the dealership can do that with their eyes closed.... that's what they do best.... I remember when I got my Type-S front underbody spoiler for my TL, I was wondering how I'm gonna cart it home with the huge box and everything.... ended up one of the tech come up to me and goes "Phil, I'll put it on for you for $20 cash".... now, how can I turn down a deal like that.... the rear deck spoiler is a bit more time consuming due to drilling, cleaning, sealing, matching (they got the ready made template, so it's a breeze), and all kinds of "ing"... so, $60 is fair and it's "professionally" installed!!!
Old 08-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Drifting

the dealer who quoted me $172 balked and claimed those were "TL" prices, and that the RL spoiler was more work - he said it's $250.

got another dealer to quote me $235 and he said he'd give me 15% off - making it right about $200 even.

I looked at those instructions and I can see why it's a PITA. you have to put four holes through the trunk, and I can imagine if your holes are OFF at all - the spoiler will look crooked. that woudl be an expensive DIY mistake!

i could just use double stick tape like Neuron Bob did.... would that adequately hold it on? i'd be worried that some day I'd be on the freeway and see my spoiler fly off the back of the car!!!
Old 08-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 23109VC
the dealer who quoted me $172 balked and claimed those were "TL" prices, and that the RL spoiler was more work - he said it's $250.

got another dealer to quote me $235 and he said he'd give me 15% off - making it right about $200 even.

I looked at those instructions and I can see why it's a PITA. you have to put four holes through the trunk, and I can imagine if your holes are OFF at all - the spoiler will look crooked. that woudl be an expensive DIY mistake!

i could just use double stick tape like Neuron Bob did.... would that adequately hold it on? i'd be worried that some day I'd be on the freeway and see my spoiler fly off the back of the car!!!
if you heard them saying "TL price" and "RL price" you know they are pulling your chain.... to them, it makes no difference.... just that they know RL is a more expansive car and they wanna milk more $$$ from you.... trust me, both RL and TL spoiler proper installation require drilling holes on trunk lid (the lid is aluminum alloy, easy to cut, drill, and easy to mess up.... and expansive mess up).... you def. need template to locat the proper drilling spot and make sure you seal it right.... and if you go to your service advisor, of course they r gonna rip you a big one.... they need to make living too.... it's the everyday hard working joe doing the actual work in the background that you need to get to know
Old 08-05-2009, 02:22 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Diy ftw
Old 08-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Drifting

blazing GT - you ever install one yourself? I've looked at the Acura instructions, and honestlly, I think I could do it... but I'm sure to do it right, it woudl take me a good 3-4 hours.

it's a question of "what if" i goofed it up. I could always just resort to 3M double stick tape and cover up any holes I misdrilled if it turne dout the holes I drill were crooked... although teh kit comes iwht templates to assist you in drilling in the right spots.....

my local dealer has agreed to do it for $200 even. th ecar has a weird noise coming from the A/C, so I have to drop it off for that anyway, as well as a newly discovered broken trim piece..the black trim that lines the front windshield appears to have about a 1/4" section broken off up near the top of the windshield... as I just boght the car and htis was probably there when I bought it - I ccan't imagine in a few hundred miles I somehow I did this.... it's a trim piece, so not sure if they will agree to fix it, but they should as it's likely a problem the CPO process missed..

anyway, as I have to take the car in for that stuff, I'm leaning toward coughing up the $200 and letting the "pros" put on my decklid spoiler. if it turns out crooked, they get to buy me a new one, new trunk, etc... instead of ME having to foot the bill for a goofup...

now I have to convince my wife that I also need 18 or 19" wheels and aspec suspension...