Exclusive 19" Special Edition Wheels for the 2G RL, Perfect fit!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 09:31 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by petemc
Hou-RL,

If I understand your request correctly, what you want is to reduce the gap above the wheel. If this is true, I believe that this can only be accomplished in a limited number of ways:

1. Lower the car (replace the springs)
2. Increase the overall wheel+tire dimension

For option #1, the whole car will be lower to the ground, and the gap above the wheel will be reduced.
For option #2, while this will reduce the gap, it is not recommended since this will throw off the speedo by a (possibly) large amount, depending on the change in overall wheel dimension. You can calculate the amount that changing the dimension will cause using "plus size" calculators available on some of the wheel/tire dealers websites.

Pete
PeteMC,

I dont want to lower the car even though it would make it appear much more sportier.
I do want to increase the size of the rims and tire dimension but without having the affect of making the car stand taller. I definately do not want to throw off the speedo by any amount. I am not sure if even a 19" rim will make the difference if it will affect the car that much.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:03 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hou-RL,

I believe that the only option you have is to both increase the size of the wheels+tires and lower the car.

Let's try an experiment using the size calculator on 1010tires.com...

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

If you went from stock 245/55/17 (13.8" radius) to 275/45/20s (14.87" radius), you would raise the axle by approximately 1" (14.87 - 13.8). This will raise the whole car by 1".
Now if you lowered the car by 1" using lowering springs, the effective height of the car remains as it was with stock 17" wheels, but, you will have now closed the gap by 1" because the radius is increased by 1".

You can play with the numbers, but watch out for going too high in tire width 'cos you might get some rubbing. You could also look for higher profile tires, but you may not be able to get high performance tires with this option.

Of course this assumes you can adjust the speedo to compensate for the oversized wheels+tires, else you will have a speedo accuracy problem of roughly 7% (speedo will read 55mph when you are really doing 60mph).

Pete
Old 02-02-2005, 10:36 PM
Pro

I guess I will just leave it stock then. What happens if I put the 18" Acura A-Spec rims on it? If nothing really changes, then I should be looking for 18" rims and stay away from anything larger.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:51 AM
Racer

Most who go after increasing the size of the rims look at something called "plus sizing".

A plus one size adds 1" to the rim size, and a lower profile tire is used to keep the overall diameter constant (remember the size calculator on 1010 tires?). A plus 2 adds 2" to the rim, and an even lower profile tire is used. A plus 3 adds 3" to the rim etc.

In our case, the stock wheels are 245/50/R17. a good plus 1 size would be 245/45/R18, and a good plus 2 size would be 245/40/R19 and a plus 3 would be 245/35/R20.

I'm still looking for 19" as my preference, but 18" will do if I really like the rims.

Pete
Old 02-03-2005, 08:19 AM
Pro

Thanks PeteMC for the information. Keep me posted on which option you choose. I really would like to see the effect on someones car if they have purchasd a new rim/tire combo.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:36 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by petemc
When I looked at the option, my first thought that was it was to calibrate the tire sensors, but I can see how it could be used to compensate for wheel diameter/circumference.

I haven't had the guts to try anything out with these diagnostic modes yet, I guess I'm chicken and waiting for others to try it out first. Anyone know a good Acura service technician that can help us?

Even if it did adjust for increased wheel diameter, I'm not sure that trying to compensate for the gap using "oversize" wheels and tires is the right approach. What are you going to run, 20" rims and 275/50/20 tires? This will also raise the car off the ground

If you want to close the gap, lowering springs are the preferred option (IMO), which will also make the car look sportier by lowering the car in general.

Pete
Chicken huh?! Yeh, me too...
I'm looking at 19"s! Twentys, IMO, are horrendously expensive for both wheels and tires, ride quality will suffer, car height issues will be compounded and tire durability will be minimal at best - 20's are overkill for me. Now I realize that 19"s arent much better in the aforementioned categories but at least they make a visible size difference as opposed to 18"s and offer better options when it comes tire wearability and ride comfort...
Old 02-03-2005, 09:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Yeah, we are def doing the wheels in 19" x 8.5" with custom everything, from Bolt patern, offset, centerbore and finish.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:39 AM
office monkey

Originally Posted by Hou-RL
Exactly!! The prototype wasn't driven on a the streets on a regular basis. I have a need for this vehicle to have enogh rubber to compensate for the reduction in diameter. 20's will look really good since they fill up the wheel wells but I have had plenty of experience in knowing that less rubber will affect the ride dramatically. Also, the cost for the tires will be increase greatly simple because they are 20"s. And be assured that I dont roll with just any 'ol tire. I'm just hoping that RonDog will develop an 18" or 19 " rims and then I am going too seriously consider those for the RL. I want my car to remain true and remove any possible error on the speedo. I dont want to forget how fast I am going when I am driving.
Agreed. The whole point of a damn car is to drive it not to sit there and look great in a showroom. Sheesh.

The wheels are pretty sweet looking but I woud want it in 18". Ride quality actually matters to me with my luxury sedan.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:40 PM
Pro

Did anyone see a photo of the RL with the new RonJon wheel on it? I cant find it now but I thought I saw it a little while ago.

RonDog did you giveth and taketh away?
Old 02-11-2005, 06:42 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Hou-RL
Did anyone see a photo of the RL with the new RonJon wheel on it? I cant find it now but I thought I saw it a little while ago.

RonDog did you giveth and taketh away?

I found it but I think it is photo shopped. There is no link to expand on it and I didn't see anything on his site.

Sorry if I got anyone over excited.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Well, I have 3 participants and we just need one more. And for those who want 18", becasue of ride comfort, the 19" go with a 245/40/19 wich is within 0.3% overall diameter of stock rolling diameter, 60mph on the speedo translates to 60.2mph. For those who don't know much about tires, 245/40 is damn near stock comfort. Its not like 35 series tire on most other 19" wheels like the TL and CL. Anyway, I will have images to show of the actual wheel, once we complete the orders for the GB and have them done. just be a little patient, good things take a fair amount of attention to get the R/D right. And I really wouldn't be making anything of a profit on these, I am just trying to bring something to the market for the RL. I was in the same boat as you guys when I first got the CL, there was nothing that fit right. Anyway, thanks for the support