driver's side height

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 06:32 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
driver's side height

Does anyone's driver's side have a stance that is a bit lower than the passenger side? I am on stock suspension and the drivers side apeears to be lower. The wheel gap on the rear wheel seems to be less than on passenger side (using the accurate measurement of human appendages{fingers}).
Old 08-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Every vehicle I have owned seemed to have a slight offset in side to side height. I don't know if it is simply the crown of the road or an intentional design to compensate for asymmetric driver's position...maybe both?

I notice it more on taller vehicles. It drove me nuts on my Isuzu.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:37 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Heh. I always assumed it was the weight of my fat ass sacking the springs on the driver's side.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Safety Car

Mike_TX, you may be on to something. To even the ballast maybe I'll throw 5 or 6 sacks of potatos on the passenger side.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:03 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 or 6 sacks of potatos on the passenger side makes you a "spudlugger"
Old 08-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Talking

Originally Posted by miner
Mike_TX, you may be on to something. To even the ballast maybe I'll throw 5 or 6 sacks of potatos on the passenger side.

I'd prefer to have a blonde. But in order to test the weight balance theory, I'll tell her to bring her purse.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TampaRL
I'd prefer to have a blonde. But in order to test the weight balance theory, I'll tell her to bring her purse.
...and the saline bags, too?
Old 08-10-2007, 10:29 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Talking

...and the saline bags, too?
Oh, you KNOW my type miner!
Old 08-15-2007, 10:58 AM
Instructor

Does anyone's driver's side have a stance that is a bit lower than the passenger side? I am on stock suspension and the drivers side apeears to be lower. The wheel gap on the rear wheel seems to be less than on passenger side (using the accurate measurement of human appendages{fingers}).
I recently had the Porsche I auto-cross aligned and corner balanced. Corner balancing is adjusting the ride height of the car so that the weight distribution diagonally is the same - done by putting scales under each wheel. RF + LR weights = LF + RR weights. It is done with the driver in the car (or weight equal to the driver). Because of MY F.A. - the car now sits about 3/8" higher on the left side when I am NOT in the car.

My Porsche group also had a "tech session" at the premier alignment/tire shop in the SF Bay Area - Custom Alignment in Mt. View (which is where I would have had my work done had it been done AFTER the tech session). An interesting thing came up during the session. They mentioned that BMW's must be aligned with a series of specific weights - driver's seat, passenger's seat, rear seat's and trunk I believe, due to the limited adjustments available.

They also had a LOT of interesting information on tires. How the BEST QUALITY of the manufacturer's tires get installed on new cars and you can't get those in aftermarket. That sidewalls can have unequal stiffness, causing the tire to have a cone shape when on the road, thus causing it to pull in one direction. They helped Hunter develop a machine that does Roadforce balancing that will tell them of variations and problems with tires. For example - where to place tires on the car to compensate for the uneven stiffness in the sidewalls.

So my point is - maybe you should seek out a shop that is similar in your area. I would start by finding one that is able to do Roadforce balancing and then ask them to explain to you what that is about. If they hem and haw, find another. Then try to determine their knowledge about alignment.

They should be able to determine if your car has a problem and hopefully correct it if it does. I am not sure what adjustments, if any, are available on the RL for ride height, but expect to pay $200 or more for a good 4 wheel alignment and about that again for corner-balancing, if that is something they can do.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:11 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Good info, Melcher.

But I'm really surprised to hear the OEM version of a mfr's tire is better than aftermarket. We've been led to believe the tires are spec'd by the mfr for various reasons, not the least of which is cost.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:30 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My experience with OEM tires has always been bad. The tires usually never give me the tread life I should expect. Even if I go with the aftermarket version of basically the same tire, that replacement will perform and holds up much better. At least that's been my experience.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
My experience with OEM tires has always been bad. The tires usually never give me the tread life I should expect. Even if I go with the aftermarket version of basically the same tire, that replacement will perform and holds up much better. At least that's been my experience.
My experience as well. In fact, the tires on my '04 MDX just turned 50,000 and still have some life left which is the longest life I've ever had from OEMs.

LL
Old 08-15-2007, 12:05 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That pretty good. I'm not sure what the stated tread life is for that tire but it couldn't be much better then that.

Again, that's just been my general experience. I've heard others say that as well. Like Mike_TX, I was surprised to hear Don make the statement about OEM's being better quality.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
That pretty good. I'm not sure what the stated tread life is for that tire but it couldn't be much better then that.

Again, that's just been my general experience. I've heard others say that as well. Like Mike_TX, I was surprised to hear Don make the statement about OEM's being better quality.
Quality in this context may not equate to longer tread wear. The issue was roundness, stiffness at the ply overlap, equal stiffness of the sidewalls. Basically, things that would affect the ride quality (particularly smoothness) and alignment.

I have had a problem with a vibration at about 72 mph in my full size Ford Powerstroke Van that appeared with the first change of tires. I am now on the third set (original + 2 more). The Big-O store was able to reduce it - but it is still there and getting worse again. My suspicion is that it is tire related (both replacement sets have been Big-O brand). They are getting close to needing replacment and I am going to take it to Custom Alignment (they are a tire rack installer) and probably put Michelin or Bridgestones (or whatever they recommend) on it and see if they can figure it out. They do all of the local police, fire, city and county vehicles and ambulances, and since most the ambulances around here are the same vehicle platform, they should be familiar with it.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Don Melcher
Quality in this context may not equate to longer tread wear. The issue was roundness, stiffness at the ply overlap, equal stiffness of the sidewalls. Basically, things that would affect the ride quality (particularly smoothness) and alignment.

I have had a problem with a vibration at about 72 mph in my full size Ford Powerstroke Van that appeared with the first change of tires. I am now on the third set (original + 2 more). The Big-O store was able to reduce it - but it is still there and getting worse again. My suspicion is that it is tire related (both replacement sets have been Big-O brand). They are getting close to needing replacment and I am going to take it to Custom Alignment (they are a tire rack installer) and probably put Michelin or Bridgestones (or whatever they recommend) on it and see if they can figure it out. They do all of the local police, fire, city and county vehicles and ambulances, and since most the ambulances around here are the same vehicle platform, they should be familiar with it.
I am almost a believer in this. One of our other cars is a Toyota Sienna XLE minivan

The original Firestone tires rode very nicely, and were quiet, but sucked at almost everything else, like traction, for example. I thought the problem was bad tread design and the cushy sidewalls. I sprung for Bridgestone H rated tires in the belief that I could make things better. Six tires later, and my wife threatening to sell the car while I was away on a business trip, I paid through the nose for Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread tires, going back to more of the passenger tire with high ratings for ride and quietness. What a difference. She loves the van again, and frankly, it is not all that bad. But the Goodyears, expensive as they are, are superb in ride and noise, and not bad in handling either. Now of course, she only wants Goodyear tires, but with an 80K treadwear warranty, I hope this is the last set of shoes for the minivan. Those Potenzas did not make it near 40K, by the way, and I threw them out with half the tread left on them.

So I can believe that about the quality of tires going to new cars.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:34 PM
Instructor

Funny - I recently put a set of Bridgestone Potenzas on my Porsche for street & touring tires and love them - more the the Yokohamas I have on the other Porsche (both 69 912s). As they say - YMMV.