Door dimple

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 09:30 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Door dimple

just noticed today that my passenger side door will not lock if I touch the dimple. It will unlock, but not lock.

Called the dealer and they said that they might try to reset the computer first to see if that works. If not, they'll need to replace the handle.

Does anyone know how to do the reset? It's really not a big deal, just trying to avoid a service visit.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Disconnect the battery for several minutes; have your radio and nav codes handy.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:23 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you just go through a car wash? There was a recent thread about the door handles not working properly after an automatic car was.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by gavine
Did you just go through a car wash? There was a recent thread about the door handles not working properly after an automatic car was.
I went through a touchless a couple weeks ago and it sat in the garage for close to week. It did rain last night, but I would hope that isn't what caused it.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:32 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by gavine
That is the truth! I was washing the car yesterday, and had the key fob in my pocket. The car was going crazy any time a stream of water from the hose hit the dimple on either side of the car! Beeping, headlights and interior lights on off, etc.

Bottom line, don't keep the key fob with you when the hose is on.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Chas2
That is the truth! I was washing the car yesterday, and had the key fob in my pocket. The car was going crazy any time a stream of water from the hose hit the dimple on either side of the car! Beeping, headlights and interior lights on off, etc.

Bottom line, don't keep the key fob with you when the hose is on.
I usually avoid that by leaving the FOB in the cupholder.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by GoHawks
I went through a touchless a couple weeks ago and it sat in the garage for close to week. It did rain last night, but I would hope that isn't what caused it.

This happens to me all the time. Since you car was in a garage, it might not have dried out. I never have any problem with the passenger side. I think the pressure for the touchless wash is what is causing the prolem. The next time I go, I am going to wrap a rag around the handle to see if the helps.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm probably about to show how stupid I can be but here goes...

My "dimple" (didn't we have a recent descussion about what this should be called?) would work on and off, about half of the time. I had it in and the dealer could find nothing wrong. I ended up "diagnosing" and fixing the problem myself.

Turns out that about half the time, I used the dimple with my thumb. Unfortunatley, while pressing the dimple, I held the rest of my fingers inside the door handle like I was going to open it. Sensing my fingers, the car didn't know if I wanted to lock the door or open it so it did nothing. Now that I know to keep my fingers out of the wayt, I find it works 98% of the time.

LL
Old 01-05-2007, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by lland
I'm probably about to show how stupid I can be but here goes...

My "dimple" (didn't we have a recent descussion about what this should be called?) would work on and off, about half of the time. I had it in and the dealer could find nothing wrong. I ended up "diagnosing" and fixing the problem myself.

Turns out that about half the time, I used the dimple with my thumb. Unfortunatley, while pressing the dimple, I held the rest of my fingers inside the door handle like I was going to open it. Sensing my fingers, the car didn't know if I wanted to lock the door or open it so it did nothing. Now that I know to keep my fingers out of the wayt, I find it works 98% of the time.

LL
You must not be the only one. My sales rep made a point to specifically show me how to open the door without touching the dimple so the situation you described wouldn't happen to me.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I wouldn't say it's the water, but the pressure on the handle from the carwash.... just a theory.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Intermediate

So wait, I'm confused. The door dimples are supposed to lock the car too?
Old 01-05-2007, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by clangjr
So wait, I'm confused. The door dimples are supposed to lock the car too?

Touch the door dimple to lock. There are also sensors on the inside portion of the door handles so that when you grab them the doors unlock.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by synth19
I wouldn't say it's the water, but the pressure on the handle from the carwash.... just a theory.

I think you could be right, but I can't unerstand while it only happens with the dirvers side and not the passenger. I am going to wrap a rag around the handle(driver) and test your theory
Old 01-05-2007, 03:13 PM
Advanced

I have similar issues with my driver's side handle. It will always unlock the door but the dimple doesn't work when it is raining or even damp out. However, the passenger's side door works all the time, wet or dry. I have mentioned it to my dealer but unless I take it up there when it is raining, I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to convince them that something is wrong.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Meteor06RL
I have similar issues with my driver's side handle. It will always unlock the door but the dimple doesn't work when it is raining or even damp out. However, the passenger's side door works all the time, wet or dry. I have mentioned it to my dealer but unless I take it up there when it is raining, I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to convince them that something is wrong.

The handles will need replacing. As you said, the dealer will have to see the problem.
WE had the exact same problem until the handle just stopped working. With the new handle it works wet or driy. Only when going through the laser wash does the drivers side stop working. A day later, then back to working all the time.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:31 PM

Now it's working. I have an appointment scheduled for Monday morning that I may now have to cancel.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:12 PM
Intermediate

Now it's working. I have an appointment scheduled for Monday morning that I may now have to cancel.
My embarassing story:

I always wash the car with the key FOB away from the car to avoid these issues. Last week after washing I was trying to park the car inside the garge. The ignition would not move to position 1. I thought the steering had got locked and tried couple of times... At last I figured the key FOB was outside. Sometimes I just think the good old ways of car starting is good. Atleast you wont try to start it without the keys.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I wish the fob unlocked the doors as you approached and locked them as you departed. The dimple is a pain to use right.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rexorg
I wish the fob unlocked the doors as you approached and locked them as you departed. The dimple is a pain to use right.
My 06 miata locks the door as you walk away. Very nice feature. My TSX seems so old fashioned compared to my RL and Mazda,
Old 01-11-2007, 09:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Rexorg
I've thought about that one, too. I figure you've got to touch the door handle anyway to open the car, so having it unlock when you grab the handle isn't too bad.

I did discover that the whole area above the dimple also locks the door. The upper part of the dimple zone is sensitive. You don't have to be so accurate to press the dimple itself.

Rob144
Old 01-11-2007, 10:32 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Try this, my dealer suggested brushing the back of your hand across it rather than pressing your thumb on it. When I remember to do that it works, but habit has me pressing the dimple with my thumb. Incidently, I've had my driver side door handle replaced twice.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:01 AM

It started acting up again so I just took it in. Made the appointment last night to take it in this morning. Went in the morning and the SM told me that she ordered the door handle last night requesting overnight delivery, hoping it gets in today so I can pick it up tonight.

Now is that service or what?

Anyway, she said that this is is a known problem (no surprise to us). While it has happened with all colors, lighter colors seem to be more prone to it.

She also said that replacing it is the first step and she hinted that it may be temporary. My guess is that they're trying to redesign the handle, and I would bet this is why the MDX didn't get this feature. All I can say is I'm glad I bought the extended warranty as these handles I heard are about $400 a piece.

On the bright side, they put me in a new MDX. I'm not sure what the cost of it is since the window sticker says "AHM DEMO VEHICLE, NOT FOR SALE". It is the tech version.

I only drove it from the dealer to work, but in that short time, here are my thoughts.

- Steering is much firmer than the RL. Almost too much. Maybe it'll take some getting used to.
- Nice firm ride, definitely doesn't feel like a SUV
- Nice dash layout, although I think I still like the RL better
- Doesn't "feel" any faster than the RL, actually slower, but then again it had 464 miles on the odo, so maybe it's not fully broken in.
- What's with no auto-dimming mirror? I know it's na option, but with all the toys in this thing, the absence of that feature really sticks out. I'm sure it'll be standard in a year or two like the back-up camera in the RL.
- Definitely see design similarities (interior) between the RL and MDX. If Acura North America has issues with the RL interior styling, it isn't reflected in the MDX.

Overall I was impresssed. If I was looking to downsize from our Land Cruiser, I would definitely (strongly) consider the MDX over say a 4Runner. The MDX is definitely more driver oriented.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:25 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This door/dimple has been going on for ever. The replacement handles aren.t a fix, only a pacifier. A money maker for the dealer'd service dept .

Just like the extended trany issue on the TL's (1999 thru 2003?). They dont't have a fix. So if you own one of these cars and keep it beyond the 7yr/100M extended
warranty be prepared to pay for a tranny.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Racer

This door/dimple issue has been going on for ever. The replacement handles aren't a fix, only a pacifier. A money maker for the dealer's service dept .

Just like the extended trany issue on the TL's (1999 thru 2003?). They dont't have a fix. So if you own one of these cars and keep it beyond the 7yr/100M extended
warranty be prepared to pay for a tranny.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:10 PM
Racer

My passenger handle is acting up also. I already had the driver's one replaced when the car was fairly new. The pass. side always worked fine until now. This is an issue. I guess I will have that repaired aslo on my next visit. Good thing I use the driver one more.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:28 AM

I'm not worried about it. This isn't as serious as the tranny issue, and like the transmissions, after several attempts they finally figured it out. Acura isn't the first one to use these types of handles. Until it's figured out, they'll have to continue replacing them. I have 88K miles left on my warranty. I'm guessing they'll figure it out by then.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:27 AM
Pro

Could the problem be related to high pressure washes such as a car wash?
Old 01-21-2007, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by kirbyflorida
Could the problem be related to high pressure washes such as a car wash?

I think you may be right as I tend to use those High pressure touchless washes a bit.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:58 PM
Racer

I think you may be right as I tend to use those High pressure touchless washes a bit.
Very seldom problem in car washes.
Mainly when I wash my car my self then when I do a final rinse without the nozzle attached is when I the issue re-occurs. After a couple of days all is ok.

I find it easy to just lock the door as I am getting out of the car. Never have a problem unlocking /