Didn't buy an RL - bought a PORSCHE

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

I had lurked here and posted a LONG time. I went back and forth on what kind of car to get - the TL-S, the RL, I test drove both extensively. Was in dealerships haggling pricing...but I could never get myself to pull the trigger.

I really wanted a third car for fun. I looked at the S2000, RX8, and boxsters.

i got off on teh porsche b/c my dad has one - and i had borrowed it a few times and loved it. Neuronbob here has an S2000 and I liked his idea of a third fun car.

my daily driver that I was going to sell/trade is a 1999 Volvo S70 T5. totally loaded up model - very good condition, just high miles, but well maintained, i've had it since almost new..and i took good car of it. so rather than sell it, i spent a little bit of money to fix up the stuff that annoyed me - new tires, new brakes, fixed the A/c. and then dad told me he was selling the boxster.

he made me an offer that was well below wholesale - almost a trade in price. his car is a 2000 base model 2.7L. VERy highly optioned. 18" wheels, 5 speed, full leather interior (seats, door inserts, dash), upgraded stereo, factory upgraded suspension setup called M030 (super stiff great hadnling..kind of like Porsche's version of Aspec), and a bunch of other stuff. it's beautiful. it has 73k miles on it..but he just put new tires and brakes on it..so it's in awesome condition. dealer looked it over and gave it a thumbs up on it's condition - no hidden problems that neither of us knew about. no sales tax - interfamily.

i paid a VERY fair...too fair..of a price and now have a beautiful ocean blue exterior, black interior boxster. the sound that this car makes as you rev it past 5k, with the tpo down - is undescribable. i can't link to the video from work as youtube is blocked out - but if you go to youtube and search for "boxster fabspeed exhaust" if will pull up ONE video of the same car I have a 2.7L boxster. the sound in that video is identical to what my car sounds like...it's awesome. i don't know what kind of lateral G's this thing pulls, but it must be a lot! It corners so hard....

ever see that Jeremy Clarkson video when he test drives the ariel atom, and makes all kinds of squeels, laughs, and calls it driving nirvana... that's how i feel when I blast around in this thing. i love it.

my parents wound up buying a 2007 RL witht he aspec wheels. VERY nice car. so I get to keep driving my daily driver, have a bad a$$ toy for the weekends that I love, and when my parents are up I have a chance to drive their RL from time to time. when my daily driver finally dies, the 2nd gen RL is going to be the replacement. for now, I'm enjoying top down Porsche driving.

snapped a pic of it as my wife took it off for a spin. my old faithful DD in the background...

Old 10-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
B-E-A-U-tiful!!! Nice Porsche, too.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:35 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boxter S or no?
Old 10-10-2008, 12:38 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
None S.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:43 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
niceeee. I'm thinking about getting one of these next summer. Looks really clean
Old 10-10-2008, 12:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Niiiiice. I refuse to knock anyone who turns down an RL for a P-car. Two of my colleagues have those and love them.

At least you get to drive your parents' RL occasionally.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Drifting

Mine is NOT an S, but it's a very very nice base. lots of options on mine - it cost more than a "standard" S model due to all the extras.

besides, my dad made me a deal I couldn't refuse and he only had one to sell - this one.

if you are going to look into a used boxster, or any porsche, do your homework. www.986forum.com is a good site with lots of info about the boxster. you should not just go out and buy one w/out doing homework. you need to know what to look out for, and educate yourself. these cars can be a lot of fun, but they can also be expensive and cost you an arm and a leg - and if you go into it half cocked - you can get shafted. do your homework, buy the right car - and then enjoy it.

even the base model like mine is a pile of fun and quite "quick" even compared to the larger motor "S" or 911. the 2.7L engine in my car has 217hp, weighs about 2800 lbs, but it has just about 200lbs of torque. for comparison, i test drove an s2k which has 240hp, and the Honda felt quite a bit slower due to the weaker torque rating. i'm sure on a race track where you are running at max rpm nonstop, the higher hp S2000 would outrun my base boxster, but on the street, where you are often at a lower rpm - the torquier motor feels faster.

this is an absolutely amazing and fun car. for a weekend toy it is perfect. It's also funny all the attention you get from friends/coworkers who see that "you bought a Porsche!". most people have no clue the difference between a 2000 boxster or a 2008, and have no clue what they cost - they just think that a porsche is a very expensive car and they assume you are rich, driving a big $$ car. Theer are plenty of hondas and toyotas in my work parking lot that cost TWICE what my boxster is worth - but no one does a second look at those, and I get people asking for rides.

living in so cal - with nice weather, the top down, and a twisty road - this car is the ultimate prescription for fun! if you are having a bad day, a quick drive in this car will put that smile right back on your face.

do you guys remember how you felt when you were a little boy and you got your very first bicycle..and went for a ride. that's how I feel in the boxster. it's fun!
Old 10-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 23109VC
do you guys remember how you felt when you were a little boy and you got your very first bicycle..and went for a ride. that's how I feel in the boxster. it's fun!
That's exactly how I feel in my S2000. Especially with the tach above 5k, accelerating onto the freeway. Lack of torque in that car is made up by staying in the power band.

Have fun, the Boxster is an awesome ride!
Old 10-10-2008, 11:38 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

I'd take an S2k over a base Boxster anyday.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I envy you guys that can have your weekend car. With the way the market has been recently I may need a wheelchair lift for my RL so I can get to work in my later years.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by miner
I envy you guys that can have your weekend car. With the way the market has been recently I may need a wheelchair lift for my RL so I can get to work in my later years.
I sold my S2K (I could not fit in it! ) and was just about to find a new weekend toy when the market tailspin began. I am glad I waited.

I too expect my RL to be a long term fixture in my garage. The bright side is, I expect it will hold up nicely and with an extended warranty to cover electronics. I may be changing my ways aquiring a new vehicle ever 3 years.

Should I get another ride, it likely will be a small efficient commuter and the RL will be my weekend toy!
Old 10-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
I too expect my RL to be a long term fixture in my garage. The bright side is, I expect it will hold up nicely and with an extended warranty to cover electronics. I may be changing my ways aquiring a new vehicle ever 3 years.

Should I get another ride, it likely will be a small efficient commuter and the RL will be my weekend toy!
The RL will be paid off by year end, and normally I would be starting to look around for a replacement. But this economic turn has put the new car routine on the back burner or off the stove completely. I will also be keeping the RL longer than I had expected, at least by a couple of years. Not exactly a sacrifice
Old 10-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 23109VC
It's also funny all the attention you get from friends/coworkers who see that "you bought a Porsche!". most people have no clue the difference between a 2000 boxster or a 2008, and have no clue what they cost - they just think that a porsche is a very expensive car and they assume you are rich, driving a big $$ car. Theer are plenty of hondas and toyotas in my work parking lot that cost TWICE what my boxster is worth - but no one does a second look at those, and I get people asking for rides.
That's quite true. I just finished residency and I started work at a community hospital. There's this black Boxster I see in the parking lot that I think a radiologist drives. One day, my secretary assumed it was mine and was gushing about how nice it was. When I told her I drove an Acura, she seemed disappointed. After my TL is paid off this year, I'll probably get a fun car several years from now. The beauty of the Porche is that the design is timeless and it's hard to differentiate between a 2000 or 2008. Sort of like the mini cooper.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:01 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

An interesting thread but the base Boxter does not impress me plus the way they do the battery/dipstick/storage seems limiting. The S version has good torque but is pricey. I still think the S2000 has the reliability, handling, power, fuel economy, and the ability to mod far more so than the Porsche. I'd take a used 911 if I had to go with Porsche but too many image problems with that car for me personally.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Pro

The guy posted the thread because he is a happy new owner. Why is it that these type of threads turn into comparisons, thread crappers, etc? I could go on and on and talk about the S2000 in a negative sense along with every car out there owned by the each of you as well as myself but what purpose does it serve? Congratulate him and send him off to Rennlist.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
nice!!

have fun at the service dept
Old 10-13-2008, 11:46 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by CL6
FINALLY something we can agree on.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Senior Moderator

C'mon guys, can't a brother just enjoy his Boxster? He got a good deal from his dad and he took it. Can't we leave it at that?
Old 10-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
Congrats! How roomy is the Boxter compared to the S2k?
Old 10-14-2008, 12:20 PM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too many people on here have such an antieuropean bias. Almost as funny as going to bmw boards and read how every other car is inferior, instead it is you got ripped off for buying German. Just different strokes for different folks.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Racer

As I've said before, I'm always happy for anyone with a new car purchase, it's very exciting, so congratulations!! Everybody has different tastes in vehicles, sometimes saying nothing at all is the best post.... I think I learned that in Kindergarten.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Pro

I wish I could own every other car out there; finances persuade otherwise but I do try to pickup what I can ,have fun, and sell it some other time. Europeans, Asians, Domestics all have flaws and strengths. Only a handful of cars I really look down upon due to safety, reliability issues such as the Yugo, etc. So many nice cars out there. I had a Fusion once and though I'm not trying to knock it, the best part of the entire experience was that it was in the shop for 10 none scheduled issues for repair and I was able to drive a different rental each time.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:21 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

http://www.time.com/time/specials/20...658545,00.html
Old 10-16-2008, 10:16 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CL6
Not if you had the deal I did.

My car had over $10k in options - including a factory upgraded suspension system that handles better than a standard Boxster S or the S2k. Full leather interior - seats, doors, dash. Very nice looking.

On a track- running at WOT / max rpm around every turn - I would suspect that an S2k would probably outrun my "base" boxster. Although having test driven both cars - I think on the street (which is where I drive 100% of the time) the boxster is actually faster b/c it has more torque. When you are cruising in third gear at 3500 rpm, and have to punch it to zip past a slow poke in the lane next to you - you have more power on tap with the larger engine in the boxster. In my extensive test drives, despite a higher hp rating and roughly equal curb weights - the torquey "base" boxster feels faster.

The S2k is the clear winner/better car if you consider bang for the buck and cost to maintain. No arguments here. If you compare prices - you can get a newer lower mileage S2k for less money than a comparable boxster. Shop for a boxster S and you'll pay a bit more. Either way, if you get a boxster you will pay more

BUT - if you are like me, and your dad wants to be nice to you, and wants to quickly unload his car - you get the deal of a lifetime - which is what I got.

NO sales tax - interfamily. Dad even agree to carry the loan - so I just cut him a check. a very very small check.

One thing that I absolutely love about this car - the sound it makes. you'd have to drive one to truly appreciate it. I found this youtube video - and despite the fact that this guy has an exhasut - his car and my car sound virtually identical. if you sat in my car and I took you for a spin - this is what you woudl hear. I LOVE it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POUsNGY-Lbw

In the end - it's very subjective. Both are great cars. the s2k is a monster on a track, ultra reliable, and affordable. The Porsche is roomier inside, feels more luxurious, and has more storage. the sound, power delivery and handling is similr in that both are GREAT, but different in how they deliver it.

For me - I preferred the boxster. others would be the exact opposite. no right or wrong answer - it just depends what you want.

i went back and forth on whether I should get the boxster or the s2k. my practical side liked the honda, but my heart was with the porsche. both are great cars.

inj the end - when my dad made the offer he did - at the price he offered - it was a no brainer. he knocked about 5k off what it woudl retail for..hard to say no.

watch that video - even if you love the S2k - i think that sound is intoxicating. it's even better in real life.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:40 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

They are different kinds of cars. S2K works best spun up to max RPMs and it has a tight cabin but it goes goes goes. If you've got the $$$ to tune the Porsche can perform very well but, for me, Jap is best unless I had the cash to go ALL out then I'd go German but I think I'd go aircooled 911 SC.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:20 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CL6
They are different kinds of cars. S2K works best spun up to max RPMs and it has a tight cabin but it goes goes goes. If you've got the $$$ to tune the Porsche can perform very well but, for me, Jap is best unless I had the cash to go ALL out then I'd go German but I think I'd go aircooled 911 SC.

I haven't driven the older 911s... I have seen youtube videos and they sure sound cool!

I did drive my bro in law's 1999 996. It's really nice - 18" sport design wheels, 6 speed, short shift kit, factory aero kit - it's a nice looking car. although, honestly, after driving both that car adn my boxster back to back - I'd rather have the boxster. for top up driving - the 911 is better - but once you put the top down on the boxster - it's way better.

there is something about top down driving that is just FUN.

I'm not THAT old (36), but as I've aged, I've become less obsessed with all out speed and more interested in a "fun" car. I've had some "fast" cars - and honestly, at this point in my life, I'm having more fun zipping around in this base model boxster than I would be if I had a Vette...

once thing that's funny about having a porsche - I get all these 'wow you bought a porsche" comments from co-workers. the average person, who knows very little about cars, has no idea what the specs are on a boxster, no idea that used 2000 boxstes are worth 15k or so - and they have this misconception that I bought a $50k supercar. kind of funny. I haven't told anyone what I paid. it would spoil the image..

i am just hoping my motor doesn't blow or any other expensive item breaks. these cars ARE very expensive to fix. i was told if the motor goes it will be a min of about $12k-14k to fix. ouch! a small percentage of boxsters had total motor failure..long story, but mind fits the criteria of cars that should NOT hve the problem..so I'm not too worried.

only upside to motor failure is that if you spend the money to fix it, you can (for about the exact same price as the stock motor) swap in the 3.4L or 3.6L motor from the 911 and make your "old" boxster into a 300-350 hp screamer.

if I keep this car long enough - and it eventuallyneeds a new motor and I want to hang onto it even longer - i may do that.

for now, i'm enjoying sunny so california top down driving. i drove it to work this morning and was loving every minute of it.

that analogy - a kid on his first bike - is exactly how it makes you feel. life is too short to NOT have something fun like this - especially if like me - you are one of those peole who truly draw enjoyment from a car.

enjoy your cars guys!! i will keep checking this site..eventually i may get myself an RL...depends how long my current DD lasts..
Old 10-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This whole thread is really not appropriate for this forum IMO.

It would be if I started one, did not buy a 09 RL, bought a "whatever" instead.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:00 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Title of thread:

Originally Posted by kirbyflorida
This whole thread is really not appropriate for this forum IMO.

It would be if I started one, did not buy a 09 RL, bought a "whatever" instead.