Design suggestions for future RL's

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 06:59 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Design suggestions for future RL's

In case anyone from Acura reads this forum ...... After owning an '06 RL for a few months, I have a few suggestions for some enhancements in future models. I wouldn't call these admittedly subjective opinions "complaints" because I have no regrets on buying the car. But the RL is in a wickedly competitive market, especially from the Infiniti M35 and often the decision to buy one or the other comes down to minor differences. In fact, car vs. car, I liked the M35 slightly better. I just liked the Acura salesperson better. So in no particular order :

1) The lower portion of the MID should allow display of outside temp + odometer. I find the A & B trip odometers rather uninteresting. (this should be a simple change)
2) Add a simple way to compensate for the compressed frequency & dynamic ranges of XM. Maybe a front panel EQ, or something like a "loudness" button that applied a fixed high freq boost along with maybe some range expansion.
3) How about bypassing having to hit "OK" upon every car start in order to activate the Nav system ? I know the lawyers probably demanded this but it gets old, fast.
4) Speed sensitive voice feedback level ? When I set "Connie" to respond at a level I can hear at high speeds, it's way too loud at low speeds, and vice versa.
5) The rear backup camera should either be standard or available as an option that doesn't sacrifice one's trunk release button, as I have read here.
6) And finally, for a really wacky idea, would it be possible to tie doppler radar displays in with the Nav system ? I know, this one is a pipedream but it wouold really be cool.

Just some food for thought.

Gary
Old 09-11-2006, 08:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jaykimba
In case anyone from Acura reads this forum ...... After owning an '06 RL for a few months, I have a few suggestions for some enhancements in future models. I wouldn't call these admittedly subjective opinions "complaints" because I have no regrets on buying the car. But the RL is in a wickedly competitive market, especially from the Infiniti M35 and often the decision to buy one or the other comes down to minor differences. In fact, car vs. car, I liked the M35 slightly better. I just liked the Acura salesperson better. So in no particular order :

1) The lower portion of the MID should allow display of outside temp + odometer. I find the A & B trip odometers rather uninteresting. (this should be a simple change)
2) Add a simple way to compensate for the compressed frequency & dynamic ranges of XM. Maybe a front panel EQ, or something like a "loudness" button that applied a fixed high freq boost along with maybe some range expansion.
3) How about bypassing having to hit "OK" upon every car start in order to activate the Nav system ? I know the lawyers probably demanded this but it gets old, fast.
4) Speed sensitive voice feedback level ? When I set "Connie" to respond at a level I can hear at high speeds, it's way too loud at low speeds, and vice versa.
5) The rear backup camera should either be standard or available as an option that doesn't sacrifice one's trunk release button, as I have read here.
6) And finally, for a really wacky idea, would it be possible to tie doppler radar displays in with the Nav system ? I know, this one is a pipedream but it wouold really be cool.

Gary
ON #5, they installed a new button on my car to the right...works fine. Not trivial to discover, but not a big deal.

JB

06 RL, one week old...love it
Old 09-12-2006, 09:19 AM
2006 RL - Carbon Grey

good list.

i'd like the XM radio, MP3 CDs, and iPod input to have the choice to go thru the center point surround simulation effect. it sounds "damn" good with regular CDs.

when you are trying to locate something on the nav map using the joystick it is way too difficult. they need to tune the software so its not so jerky and awkward.

an audio input is a MUST (i have read that it is coming).

re #4 - they could make the directions from the nav respond to the volume controls while they are audible (similar to way the volume on the phone works).
Old 09-12-2006, 09:56 AM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
'5) The rear backup camera should either be standard or available as an option that doesn't sacrifice one's trunk release button, as I have read here.'

You dont lose it, they move the button off to the right side. At least thats what the dealer is supposed to do.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:51 PM
Instructor

Talking

Originally Posted by sotiri
'5) The rear backup camera should either be standard or available as an option that doesn't sacrifice one's trunk release button, as I have read here.'

You dont lose it, they move the button off to the right side. At least thats what the dealer is supposed to do.
1. Better iPod GUI...the current one is awful.....it should look like the inherent Apple one (pay Apple Honda....just do it). We can handle the A/C, AM/FM, and Nav. We can handle the iPod.

2. Better (smaller) keyfob with valet option to attach a tag.....

3. Sport mode on tranny/ECU....better HP for worse mileage...added to users...call it an ASPEC software upgrade/interface option. Make sure it can be added to all user's cars....keeps people happy. Worth a lot in the big picture....

4. Variable oil settings based on synthetic/mix/dino....so you have reality measurements (is this already there?).

5. A sporty wheel. The stock wheel is a bit lame. The wood wheel has better grip/looks, but some of us don't want a wooden/plastic wheel. Take a look at the TL (type S), RDX, a BMW sport wheel, and the Audi RS4 (European). Give us that. I'll pay for the option....add better shifter on the steering wheel. Copy the ones on the Lexus IS series. Those blow away the Acura stock one.

6. I'll test #1 and #5 Acura if you read this.

Thank you.

jb
Old 09-12-2006, 10:52 PM
Cruisin'

Address Book

Would like an option so that both driver 1 and driver 2 can share the address book.
I have about 30 addresses in my book and most will have to be retyped for driver 2 (my wife) since the book is not shared...pure pain in the butt to enter the data twice !!! Also not necessary.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:21 PM
Advanced

A few adders:

1) If you support DVD-Audio, you might as well have the system play SACDs and those crazy DualDiscs that use Dolby Digital encoding. Universal players have been out there for years, so just add that to the audio system, please.

2) When I start the car, put the driver info. display back to where it was. Why should I have to push a button to see the the fuel mileage, range, or other item I had on the display when I shut the car off.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:55 PM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cwdonahue
A few adders:

2) When I start the car, put the driver info. display back to where it was. Why should I have to push a button to see the the fuel mileage, range, or other item I had on the display when I shut the car off.
Also, provide a way to BLANK the display. I hate having the display up when I'm not immediately checking something, I find it distracting. Yet once I check something, I'm stuck with the display until such time as I turn the car off.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:48 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by cwdonahue
A few adders:

1) If you support DVD-Audio, you might as well have the system play SACDs and those crazy DualDiscs that use Dolby Digital encoding. Universal players have been out there for years, so just add that to the audio system, please.

On the second item, my display is the same when restarting unless the other driver uses the car.

Does everyone have this problem?
I have a 2005 RL.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:08 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jaykimba
In case anyone from Acura reads this forum ...... After owning an '06 RL for a few months, I have a few suggestions for some enhancements in future models.

Gary
Service, Service, Service. Quality, Quality, Quality.

Less buffeting in the cabin with the sunroof open. I've quit opening mine. My '94 Honda has practically no buffeting all rational speeds which has occasioned many miles of pleasurable cruising at all speeds in that automobile...still at 459,000 miles with that one since I'm driving mostly the RL these days.

Better quality and ventilated leather seats. My driver's seat has a horrible wear area.

I agree with some other posters here. The sound system should be compatible with more than DVD-Audio for surround mode...these disks are just too hard to find out in the boonies.

More usable trunk space.

All options on the car should be factory installed, including back-up camera.

Did I say anything about service? Service, Service, Service. Not exactly an improvement in the car itself, but I'll mention what will eventually cause me to leave the brand. I'm still of the opinion that Honda should take back control of their Acura service network, sell the car through their Honda dealers where service and personnel would be upgraded to more professional personnel and luxury levels consistent to what Lexus owners brag about. Honda should develop a few high level and high quality Acura dealers in major markets. My own personal experience is that there is "rot" in the service network for this car (YMMV), and if Honda expects to compete in the luxury car market, they'd better clean up their act. Honda might well take the cue from that old Butch Cassiday and the Sundance Kid movie...and take a look over their shoulders at what is approaching from behind. Very soon indeed, servicing, or the lack of it, will begin to determine which automobiles do well in the market...if it's not already happening.

Fred

'05RL with somewhere over 45,000 miles.