Defend the RL!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 10:42 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Defend the RL!

Ok. That title may be slightly misleading, but what I'm looking for are you as the owners to say why I would want a TL or to address the things I see as a concern.

I'm considering another Sedan to compliment our M35, and the RL could be it... or the GS... or even an M5, but I'm not looking to compare those.

Ok, here's what I like about the car:

AWD is awesome.
I like the subdued looks. It's nice, but not flashy which appeals to me.
Comfortable.
The stereo is solid for factory.
Nice nice nice Nav system and voice recognition.
Good blue tooth features.
All around good package and picking up an '05 for $42K is an excellent deal.

Ok, here are my concerns:

1) Leather: Does it wear as poorly as the TL's leather or is it different? We had a '05 TL and the leather wears very poorly. Wrinkles, etc. I was very disappointed.

2) Lack of DVD video of any kind. I have a 2 year old. No entertainment system of any kind? My M35 plays DVD video in the nav screen while you're parked. There's also a rear option. And you can plug in RCA jacks to a rear set of plugs that will go through the system and the nav screen (external DVD player or game system, etc.) There is a hack I did that allows you to view while driving which comes in handy w/ my passenger and/or kids.
Is there a way in the RL to enjoy video DVD's? I really like listening to video DVD's myself while driving... like Seinfelds that I know so well, that the screen action doesn't matter, just the audio.

3) No cooling seats... WTF? Nothing to defend here, but I can't believe they don't have this. I live in Houston... it's a big item.

4) Back sensors or camera? I saw the sensors as an add-on. Is that a dealer installed option? If so, that's a negative.

5) Resale... I'm imagining it's very bad since the new car sales are slow w/ the RL

6) Build quality... our TL had a lot of rattles as do a lot of TL's. Is the RL in the same boat?
Old 11-13-2005, 10:51 PM
Racer

One other thing that's huge...
If you can play a DVD Video while driving, you can listen to live concert DVD's and just not watch for obvious reasons, but you can enjoy great music. I have several video concert DVD's that I can listen to in the Infiniti.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Scott in Houston
1) Leather: Does it wear as poorly as the TL's leather or is it different? We had a '05 TL and the leather wears very poorly. Wrinkles, etc. I was very disappointed.
It still wears, but not nearly as much as the TLs (I had an 05' TL for 6 months before it was totaled)
2) Lack of DVD video of any kind. I have a 2 year old. No entertainment system of any kind? My M35 plays DVD video in the nav screen while you're parked. There's also a rear option. And you can plug in RCA jacks to a rear set of plugs that will go through the system and the nav screen (external DVD player or game system, etc.) There is a hack I did that allows you to view while driving which comes in handy w/ my passenger and/or kids.
Is there a way in the RL to enjoy video DVD's? I really like listening to video DVD's myself while driving... like Seinfelds that I know so well, that the screen action doesn't matter, just the audio.
You can get an adapter like www.avelectronic.com (there are a few others) to allow this. You can also use this same adapter and put in headrest monitors.
3) No cooling seats... WTF? Nothing to defend here, but I can't believe they don't have this. I live in Houston... it's a big item.
Yeah, next year it will probably show up.
4) Back sensors or camera? I saw the sensors as an add-on. Is that a dealer installed option? If so, that's a negative.
Sensors and backup camera are options - dealer installed.
5) Resale... I'm imagining it's very bad since the new car sales are slow w/ the RL
Likely to take a hit - but if its over 3-4 years it won't be so bad.
6) Build quality... our TL had a lot of rattles as do a lot of TL's. Is the RL in the same boat?
No. I had a few rattles in my TL. I have one in my RL - and I believe it is from the rear sunshade.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:50 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you have made up your mind already. No reason for me to defend the RL.. it is nice to not see another RL everyday
Old 11-14-2005, 06:10 AM
'06 RL

My RL is a rattletrap. Been to the dealer 3 times now for continuous loud rattles in the dash area, and it's still not right. Build quality on this car is sorely lacking, and it really surprises me that a car that's assembled in Japan rattles around like an old pickup truck.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:37 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by WhitePearl_RL
I think you have made up your mind already. No reason for me to defend the RL.. it is nice to not see another RL everyday
Not true at all. I'm not sure if I want to get either: RL, Infiniti M, or GS
along with a nice track car like an Elise or S2000.

OR

Get an M5.

I'm truly not sure which way I'm going to go. I've done similar searches on the GS as well. Since we own an M35 already, I'm not on those boards doing this.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Well, I just drove the car - and it seems in the cold weather the dash is making rattling noises.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:35 AM
Instructor

Ok. That title may be slightly misleading, but what I'm looking for are you as the owners to say why I would want a TL or to address the things I see as a concern.

I'm considering another Sedan to compliment our M35, and the RL could be it... or the GS... or even an M5, but I'm not looking to compare those.

AWD is awesome.
I like the subdued looks. It's nice, but not flashy which appeals to me.
Comfortable.
The stereo is solid for factory.
Nice nice nice Nav system and voice recognition.
Good blue tooth features.
All around good package and picking up an '05 for $42K is an excellent deal.

scott- In your M35, If you don't have a back seat lcd screen ( and do have the journey/tech packages), can you listen to DVD-video while driving? Or does the car have to be stopped to even LISTEN to the DVD-VIDEO? thanks.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
you can listen to the audio from DVD videos...just no image.

the thing that does suck with the m35/45 is that the dvd-A/player is separate from the 6-disc indash (so in effect, you have a 6-disc changer + 1 dvd audio/video player in the armrest storage).
Old 11-14-2005, 11:39 AM
office monkey

Originally Posted by vp911
Well, I just drove the car - and it seems in the cold weather the dash is making rattling noises.
I have noticed this on almost every car I have driven.

My previous IS300 had no rattles during warm weather but would get one near the driver dash vent in the cold.

Cold weather there? It's been very warm here. This past Saturday it was May warmth.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah it is starting to get cold around here. Snow this week
Old 11-14-2005, 02:50 PM
kgd
Instructor

I had a Legend and 2000 RL previously. The leather in both showed very little signs of wear after 100k and 85k for the two cars, nor did they have any rattles. My 05 does not have any rattles and I am very impressed with the leather. The interior is why I purchased this car. As far as rear seat DVD goes, buy one of the 9" or 7" portables that have the adaptor to hook to the head rest. You can use it in any car or plane also.

One thing not to over look is the safety rating. I was scanning through the media reviews thread and saw that the 05 RL was one of only 5 cars to receive perfect crash test scores from both rating agencies. I also saw a post from someone here who walked away from a horrible looking crash that totalled the car. You don't always think about that when purchasing, but it should play into the evaluation.

Kris
Old 11-14-2005, 02:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kgd
I had a Legend and 2000 RL previously. The leather in both showed very little signs of wear after 100k and 85k for the two cars, nor did they have any rattles. My 05 does not have any rattles and I am very impressed with the leather. The interior is why I purchased this car. As far as rear seat DVD goes, buy one of the 9" or 7" portables that have the adaptor to hook to the head rest. You can use it in any car or plane also.

One thing not to over look is the safety rating. I was scanning through the media reviews thread and saw that the 05 RL was one of only 5 cars to receive perfect crash test scores from both rating agencies. I also saw a post from someone here who walked away from a horrible looking crash that totalled the car. You don't always think about that when purchasing, but it should play into the evaluation.

Kris
I agree with your observation on the safety rating. That was the number one reason I bought this car. The safety of my TL kept me alive during my accident - and the RL is built to do the same, and slightly better. If you have kids, keep this in mind.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:47 PM
Advanced

Not true at all. I'm not sure if I want to get either: RL, Infiniti M, or GS
along with a nice track car like an Elise or S2000.

OR

Get an M5.

I'm truly not sure which way I'm going to go. I've done similar searches on the GS as well. Since we own an M35 already, I'm not on those boards doing this.
Scott, I personally have had great luck with my RL. I to had an 04 TL and it had alot of rattles. Not with my Rl as it has been sqeaky clean of rattles in the 5 months I have owned it. I do wish it had the cooled seats and I would gladly pay the extra if it were an option (San Antonio guy here) Time will tell with the seats but as of today they look as good as when I bought the car.

M5? If I thought I could afford it, I would trade the Rl in a minute. My wife is on here 3rd BMW (3 and 5 serious and now an X3) They drive great and I would love the 500 h/p
Old 11-15-2005, 04:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by johnhayd
scott- In your M35, If you don't have a back seat lcd screen ( and do have the journey/tech packages), can you listen to DVD-video while driving? Or does the car have to be stopped to even LISTEN to the DVD-VIDEO? thanks.
Yes you can listen. It's awesome. I have several video DVD's of concerts, and listen to them while driving. I also love listening to Seinfeld DVD's b/c I don't need to see the show anymore. Just listening cracks me up.

I have heard (ahem...cough cough I did it cough cough) of a hack that allows me to now get full navigation control while driving as well as full video watching of the DVD on the Nav screen while driving. This comes in very handy with passengers in the car.

To all the other responders, thank you very much. I'm going to drive an '05 b/c they are at very good prices! I'm very tempted to get an RL (or GS or M35) and a track car as opposed to just getting an M5 and no track car.

The Japanese kick the Germans in the ding ding when it comes to electronic toys and gadgets in their cars. I am only considering BMW's 5 series b/c it has a V10... lol. I would take the RL, M35/45, or GS over the other 5 series almost all the time.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:27 PM
Instructor

Scott,
Is your 996 TT your current track car? I had considered a '03 X50 996 TT as a daily/weekend track car but decided to go with a 2LZ C6 Z06 instead.

Goodluck with your decision
Old 11-15-2005, 09:49 PM
Racer

Scott, my humble opinions are in parens, for your enjoyment and/or rebuttal.

AWD is awesome. (yes, it is, especially when sparring with a G35 coupe)
I like the subdued looks. It's nice, but not flashy which appeals to me. (a classic sleeper car, IMHO)
Comfortable. (the seats are fantastic for long trips, and the rear is equally comfortable according to my passengers)
The stereo is solid for factory. (best I have had in my 30+ years of owning cars, and I am an avowed audiophile with a very nice home system)
Nice nice nice Nav system and voice recognition. (best in the industry, much better than the competition, IMHO)
Good blue tooth features. (works great with the right phones)
All around good package and picking up an '05 for $42K is an excellent deal. (it's the best bang for the buck on the market in this category)

1) Leather: Does it wear as poorly as the TL's leather or is it different? We had a '05 TL and the leather wears very poorly. Wrinkles, etc. I was very disappointed. (can't tell after only 5k miles)

Is there a way in the RL to enjoy video DVD's? I really like listening to video DVD's myself while driving... like Seinfelds that I know so well, that the screen action doesn't matter, just the audio. (check out the other threads that discuss this)

3) No cooling seats... WTF? Nothing to defend here, but I can't believe they don't have this. I live in Houston... it's a big item. (I live in Socal and have not noticed this as a problem this past summer)

4) Back sensors or camera? I saw the sensors as an add-on. Is that a dealer installed option? If so, that's a negative. (camera looks like it will be a relatively easy add-on using the 06 camera and an aftermarket i/f unit; sensors is even easier and potential DIY for those that are so inclined)

5) Resale... I'm imagining it's very bad since the new car sales are slow w/ the RL (only relevant if you plan to own the car for just a few years, which I am not)

6) Build quality... our TL had a lot of rattles as do a lot of TL's. Is the RL in the same boat? (by far the best fit and finish of any car I have owned or test driven, bar none)
Old 11-16-2005, 04:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by WhitePearl_RL
Scott,
Is your 996 TT your current track car? I had considered a '03 X50 996 TT as a daily/weekend track car but decided to go with a 2LZ C6 Z06 instead.

Goodluck with your decision

Yes, I track my 996TT. The problem is, it's expensive, and I've been doing it a while which means I'm faster, and that is scary. I need to get a car I care a lot less about if I go off in the wrong place.

The new Z06 is a nice car. It's performance is amazing. I'm not a fan of the looks or the interior though. GM just can't ever seem to get those things right for me. For the money, you can't beat it.

Acurafox, nice stuff. Thanks!
Old 11-16-2005, 08:35 PM
Instructor

I bet it is expensive to track that 996TT! I had bought a 1989 944 S-2 new and drove it till 1998 when I gave it to my son. You should see the stack of receipts I had for that car... it did everything from AutoX, SCCA, road challenges and back and forth to work. I was one of the few to drive their car to the track events. Good too see another true enthusiast
Old 11-17-2005, 11:18 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I have heard (ahem...cough cough I did it cough cough) of a hack that allows me to now get full navigation control while driving as well as full video watching of the DVD on the Nav screen while driving.
Scott, I don't know if the forum rules allow it,
but I would sure like to know how the hack can
be done.

Maybe you can private message me on this?
Old 11-19-2005, 04:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
you can listen to the audio from DVD videos...just no image.

the thing that does suck with the m35/45 is that the dvd-A/player is separate from the 6-disc indash (so in effect, you have a 6-disc changer + 1 dvd audio/video player in the armrest storage).
Why does this suck? Some might consider two machines an advantage.

For Scott in Houston: This is a great site for a pro-RL perspective and nothing wrong with that. For a site with a pro-M perspective visit www.infiniti-driver.com

Both cars have their advantages and disadvantages (there is no such thing as a perfect car). Continue your research and do extensive test drives in both to determine which one best addresses your own unique needs, wants, and budget with the fewest compromises. Good luck
Old 11-23-2005, 03:41 PM
Racer

msu79, thanks!

I see you're in Katy. I'm in Sugar Land.
I own an M, so I'm familiar very familiar and fairly active on an M board. Thanks for the recommendation!

I have until late January to decide, so I'll really take my time in the research. Right now, the GS, M, and RL are so close, it's a tough call! I think the price for the RL makes it very attractive though.