Deck Lip spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 08:41 AM
Randy is the Future

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Deck Lip spoiler

Has anyone else ordered this off the internet and had it installed by a dealer? I just got mine in the mail and i wanna get it installed. 1 dealer said it was about an hour job so it would cost me about 75 for the labor but when i called them back someone gave me a price for 150. Also other stuff came with the package that i'm not sure if it belongs. i dont know wat its called but i'll take a pic of it in a sec. I just wanna know if anyone can give me an idea of how much i should really pay for an install of my spoiler.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:50 AM
Randy is the Future

Old 04-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I would say an hour labor should be enough. I paid $295 for mine installed but later found out the price sheet was wrong.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by nore03
Has anyone else ordered this off the internet and had it installed by a dealer? I just got mine in the mail and i wanna get it installed. 1 dealer said it was about an hour job so it would cost me about 75 for the labor but when i called them back someone gave me a price for 150. Also other stuff came with the package that i'm not sure if it belongs. i dont know wat its called but i'll take a pic of it in a sec. I just wanna know if anyone can give me an idea of how much i should really pay for an install of my spoiler.
I just did this - I bought the spoiler from an eBay Acura dealer and had it installed locally. The Acura dealer here charged me about $100 for the install. The rear spoiler package should include new trunk struts - the upgraded ones are needed to support the additional weight of the lid with the spoiler installed. You don't have to install the new trunk struts - but the lid won't stay open on its own without them.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
You can use 3M double-sided tape, do it yourself, and pay roughly $3 for the install. Many of us have done this and have had no issues. The new struts that come with the spoiler are not necessary, either.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Asian07RL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
You can use 3M double-sided tape, do it yourself, and pay roughly $3 for the install. Many of us have done this and have had no issues. The new struts that come with the spoiler are not necessary, either.

I agree. Why drill holes into the rear deck.

I used heavy duty exterior 3M double side tape to install my rear deck lip spoiler. After one year, it is still intact and no gap at all.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
It really depends on how picky you want to be about the install. When you drill holes, you know for sure it will not come lose. My dealer tried the easy way by double side tape, but it came lose in 2 weeks and they had to redo it. But some folks have had no issues by using the tape.
With the stronger struts, once again, it's you preference. I know my dealer didn't put mine on and I'm really dissapointed about it. Because my trunk used to pop up about 4-6 inches when I open it, now it just unlocks. I don't know if after 5 years, the trunk will stay open by itself with the standard struts.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by lausy
It really depends on how picky you want to be about the install. When you drill holes, you know for sure it will not come lose. My dealer tried the easy way by double side tape, but it came lose in 2 weeks and they had to redo it. But some folks have had no issues by using the tape.
If the dealer's installers used the wimpy tape that comes with the spoiler, then yeah it will come off. If they had used the 3M double-sided tape, it would've worked out fine. I've had mine on since last year and it's gone through both hot and frigid weather and it simply stays put. No issues at all if you do it right.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Burning Brakes

If the dealer's installers used the wimpy tape that comes with the spoiler, then yeah it will come off. If they had used the 3M double-sided tape, it would've worked out fine. I've had mine on since last year and it's gone through both hot and frigid weather and it simply stays put. No issues at all if you do it right.
My 05 RL came with the spoiler - it was drilled and taped and the tape came loose, so they replaced the whole thing. I just don't trust the tape only with the extremes of heat and cold we get up here.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Asian07RL

You can DIY and save $.

Here is the thread DIY.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4428
Old 04-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dwboston
My 05 RL came with the spoiler - it was drilled and taped and the tape came loose, so they replaced the whole thing. I just don't trust the tape only with the extremes of heat and cold we get up here.
Again, the tape that comes with the spoiler is not good enough. The 3M double-sided tape really works. We get worse extremes here in Cleveland than you do in Boston, and it has worked fine for me.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Randy is the Future

Well my dealer will be charging me $200 to install the lid. They say they have to install the knew trunk struts so thats part of the job. I guess i have no choice but to get it done that way. I will set up an appointment next week to have them do it.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Again, the tape that comes with the spoiler is not good enough. The 3M double-sided tape really works. We get worse extremes here in Cleveland than you do in Boston, and it has worked fine for me.
I'm sure it works, but I just don't trust using only tape over the long term. And I think you underestimate how extreme the weather gets here. Ever heard of a Noreaster?

Boston:
Avg high temp in July - 82*
Avg low temp in Jan - 22*

Cleveland
Avg high temp in July - 81*
Avg low temp in Jan - 19*

Looks like a wash to me.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Asian07RL

Most cars nowaday use 3M tape for side moldings.
Two years ago I installed OEM side molding on MDX for my younger brother and it came with double sided tape only. The moldings still intact and have not changed at all.
If you use enough double sided 3M tape, it will not come off because the deck lid spoiler is not that heavy.

Note: we live in Northeast too.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Safety Car

Well my dealer will be charging me $200 to install the lid. They say they have to install the knew trunk struts so thats part of the job. I guess i have no choice but to get it done that way. I will set up an appointment next week to have them do it.
Word of advice from me who had dealer install spoiler. Look ove rthe car carefully before leaving. I had a number of cosmetic issues arise:

1) Tech drop bolt into trunk lid BUT did not fish it out. Each time I opened and closed trunk bolt rattled around.

2) Trunk liner was creased where it was bent down during removal plus it did not fit flush with trunk along the edges.

3) A small dent was somehow put on my trunk lid during installation.

4) tech did not reattach the interior trunk light when liners were replaced.

5) Two tie-downs loops were left under the liner.

All were rectified by dealer at the cost of time to me.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AsianTL
You can DIY and save $.

Here is the thread DIY.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4428
Thanks AsianTL for providing the link. This is why I documented my experience. You can do it if you have the guts to "drill".....I drilled and used the 3M tape. Just take your time and you'll be fine, but then again....I'm a DYI kind of person. Took me about 2 hours from start to finish. The alternative, you can just pay the dealer to install it.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Touche. All I know is that I'm grumpy that winter isn't over here in Cleveland yet. It feels awful. (Bob thanks wife for making him stick around in Cleveland , not his first or even third choice of residence)

Originally Posted by dwboston
I'm sure it works, but I just don't trust using only tape over the long term. And I think you underestimate how extreme the weather gets here. Ever heard of a Noreaster?

Boston:
Avg high temp in July - 82*
Avg low temp in Jan - 22*

Cleveland
Avg high temp in July - 81*
Avg low temp in Jan - 19*

Looks like a wash to me.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Touche. All I know is that I'm grumpy that winter isn't over here in Cleveland yet. It feels awful. (Bob thanks wife for making him stick around in Cleveland , not his first or even third choice of residence)
I hear you. We're here because both of our families are here. I'd much rather live somewhere like Vegas or Phoenix or San Diego.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:54 AM
Safety Car

Yes, i know what you guys mean about winter. Today in Houston it was 83° but cloudy. Don't you just hate clouds?
Old 04-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just don't think the deck lid spoiler on the RL does much (for me). if it made the car look sportier, that would be nice, but I don't feel it does. pretty vanilla styling.

of course, if it was about $100 total i would probably do it, but for $200-300 or more..no go
Old 04-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
p.s. IMHO, i would never just trust adhesive on something exposed to the elements, car wash chemicals, vibration, and travels at 80mph at times..... probably comes down to application... if molding is installed with adhesive, it is probably done in an enironementally monitored room, at the right temperature, and allowed to cure for the correct period of time.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I have seen MUCH heavier and larger spoilers secured by heavy duty 3m tape. The deck lid spoiler for the RL is like a feather in comparrison. I definitely would recommend the 3m tape as opposed to the dealer install.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by synth19
I have seen MUCH heavier and larger spoilers secured by heavy duty 3m tape. The deck lid spoiler for the RL is like a feather in comparrison. I definitely would recommend the 3m tape as opposed to the dealer install.
It's such a "feather" that it needs heavier-duty trunk struts to hold the lid open when it's installed. I wouldn't be "recommending" the DIY option to anyone over the approved installation method. The 3M tape is an option but it's a bit ridiculous to imply that it's the preferred method. It's the method that some here have chosen - that doesn't make it the best method. Why doesn't Acura just secure it with the 3M tape then? It can't be just to ensure service $ for the dealers - they charge $150 for a cabin air filter replacement that takes 5 minutes and no tools without batting an eye. The tape is the option if you insist on DIY and don't want to drill into the lid, but there's no way the tape is as secure as the drilling and tape method, especially over the long-term.

I'm not suggesting paying a dealer ridiculous amounts of $ for an install, but $100 for a dealer install and the warranty that goes with it are worth it to me.