Decided to go w/ a GS

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 02:11 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Decided to go w/ a GS

Hi Guys,
After months of debate, and countless nights of lost sleep i have decided to go w/ an 06 GS. Don't flame, I had 3 acuras prior, but these tranny problems are just downright scary.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:35 PM
8-)
...just another stooge...

Heck, you've been more loyal to Acura than me! This is my first Acura.

Enjoy your new ride!
Old 02-16-2005, 02:49 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
What was your impression of the GS? Just curious to see how the RL stacks up against the competition from people who've driven the cars, rather than reading commentaries armchair quarterbacks.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:57 PM
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by frebay
Hi Guys,
After months of debate, and countless nights of lost sleep i have decided to go w/ an 06 GS. Don't flame, I had 3 acuras prior, but these tranny problems are just downright scary.
Have you had any tranny problems with your Acura's? Did you drive the GS yet or just getting it and have you driven the RL also? I have Acura's and no tranny problems on either a 2001 CL and a 2003 TL. Just got a 05 MDX. I can't worry about what will happen, if it will happen some day.

Well anyway, good luck your your new car.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Legend/RL trannies are better...

Originally Posted by frebay
Hi Guys,
frebay, does your Legend have tranny issues? Why you keep thinking those failed TL/CL trannies are related to RL's?

My 94 Legend is perfect... and their trannies ain't the same as TL/CL's....
Old 02-16-2005, 04:07 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, I saw your new GS over on that "other" forum. No flames here. It's a very nice-looking car. As Phile said, we're very curious to hear your unbiased impressions of the GS vs. the RL. I haven't looked at the GS yet, but I did look at the M and I didn't see anything that would take me away from the RL. I'm really curious to see what the GS "edge" is.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:27 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I love the feeling to get a car 2 weeks in advance... but why dealer could sell it??

Yah, I saw his posts too with pic... I wonder how he could drive without the insurance...

But that car looks good so far... I will see it tomorrow in person...
Old 02-16-2005, 04:51 PM
Instructor

in CA there's this law that has ur insurance roll over for 30 days and covers your new car, otherwise i wouldn't be driving the sucker.

i test drove the GS and RL twice. Although the RL handled better around turns, it felt a lot heavier. My legend doesn't have tranny issues, but 3 of my friends have TLs and 3 of them had tranny problems. I love my legend. Also the 3 people on these forums w/ awd/tranny problems were scaring me.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:50 PM
has been here awhile

Does Lexus not offer a wheel/tire upgrade package for the GS300? Overall, your car looks great. When it comes time for my family, it's going to be a VERY hard choice. The new GS looks nice, indeed, but so does the RL. I don't know what to think of the M35, however.

PLEASE, stay on this forum as well. Keep us updated with your GS. Would you mind posting some pictures here? What are some of the things that you like better about the GS compared to the RL? What else did you drive besides the RL and GS? 530i, A6, E320/350? Was it just down to AWD models?

I know you'll be happy with the GS...so congrats.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I believe frebay got 06 GS300 RWD version. The most interesting part so far is he said that Bluetooth could sync the phone book out of his T610... I wanna know more, please.

Btw, once again, Legend/RL's trannies ain't TL/CL's trannies... don't mix them together, please.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:20 PM
Instructor

i got the 300 rwd w/ mark levison and navi. i know the RL and TL trannys are different...but the TL tranny failures, along w/ new SH-AWD from a car company that made the same TL tranny worried me.

i can sync the entire phone book, there is a function that says send entire phone book or something like that.

photos can be seen here:
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151170
Old 02-17-2005, 01:15 AM
Racer

Nice car. Hope you will keep us informed of your experience with GS.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:39 AM
Racer

I just bought an 05RL and previously owned an 04Tl and before that, and 2000 TL. Did not have any tranny problems with either, but didn't keep the O4 long enough to have any.

The GS is a nice car and hope you enjoy it. I'm glad everyone doesn't want the same kind of car - what a boring world it would be and what sorry cars we would have with no competition.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:57 AM
Spinnin' Protons!

Talking I am one of the Three

I am still having a tough time with my tranny. It may be more than just the tranny. I will be taking her back to the dealer poss. today. I will let you al know.

I like the Lexus. Great Choice Frebay! Congrats and Enjoy!!!

C.J.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:29 AM
office monkey

cool!

Any chance you could post those pics here? I'm banned from clublexus.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:26 AM
Pro

It's good to see that RL owners are so supportive of other brands. That generally isn't the case in the other forums.

Frebay, I'm most interested in your impressions re: the nav display and the sound system. I owned 2 GS300's with Lev/Nav, and I didn't care too much for the graphics or the touch screen. Have they improved? How do they compare to those in the RL? Does the display for satellite radio show the entire artist name/title? Also, how's the ML sound system w/ surround?

Sorry for all the questions, but I trade quite often, so I never rule anything out. (Life is short.) Don't have any plans to do anything for quite a while, but I'll probably check out the new GS this weekend. Very interested in your feedback in the interim. Also, feel free to post pics here for Rob L's sake.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:45 AM
Drifting

Not a bad choice at all. How much more is a comparably equipped GSAWD to the RL?

I must admit that the GS is tempting me as well.

I must also say that using the tranny issues as a reason not to choose the RL is pretty dumb!
Old 02-17-2005, 11:18 AM
Instructor

Have you checked out the new m45?
Old 02-17-2005, 12:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hemants

I must also say that using the tranny issues as a reason not to choose the RL is pretty dumb!
How is this dumb? There are a couple people w/ RLs on this forum w/ tranny problems already.

My msrp was 50209 w/ navi, awd was 1500 more.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ClnOB
Have you checked out the new m45?

i really wasn't interested in the the exterior or interior of the m45. my main choices were the RL, GS, E, and 5.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

frebay, what do you mean sync phone book??? Thanks..
Old 02-17-2005, 12:49 PM
Instructor

Here are some things I noticed...

BT doesn't allow call waiting, haven't figured out how to transfer calls yet. You can't dial by voice like in the RL or TL, it's 1000 dealer option. Stupid IMHO.

Things that can easily be changed on the RL and TL need to be changed by the dealer (for example, how doors lock, how long headlights stay on after u turn off the car etc...)

Interior is all LED just like the RL.

ML sound system is far superior, plays DVD movies (ebrake needs to be on, but i'll figure out how to disable that. it has 14 speakers, and plays DVD-a's, does not play mp3s. It's the gen 4 navi, so you can change screen background colors etc...no traffic feature though. satelite is a 200 dollar dealer option, and i haven't added it yet. but the radio does have RDS, so that displays rolling text.

there's ventilated seats, and smart key is just like the RL.

TPMS doesn't display individual tire pressure.

Originally Posted by dseag2
It's good to see that RL owners are so supportive of other brands. That generally isn't the case in the other forums.

Frebay, I'm most interested in your impressions re: the nav display and the sound system. I owned 2 GS300's with Lev/Nav, and I didn't care too much for the graphics or the touch screen. Have they improved? How do they compare to those in the RL? Does the display for satellite radio show the entire artist name/title? Also, how's the ML sound system w/ surround?

Sorry for all the questions, but I trade quite often, so I never rule anything out. (Life is short.) Don't have any plans to do anything for quite a while, but I'll probably check out the new GS this weekend. Very interested in your feedback in the interim. Also, feel free to post pics here for Rob L's sake.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rets
frebay, what do you mean sync phone book??? Thanks..

i can sync the ENTIRE phone book from my phone to my car. So all the phone numbers in my phone are on my car.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:57 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by hemants
Not a bad choice at all. How much more is a comparably equipped GSAWD to the RL?

I must admit that the GS is tempting me as well.

Frebay posted on CL that he paid $54,700 out the door. My understanding is that this is for a GS300 RWD with all the goodies. Not sure about AWD, but I'm sure it would add even more to the sticker. The GS is undoubtedly a great car, but the RL is looking like more of a bargain every day!
Old 02-17-2005, 01:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Thanks for all the info...
Old 02-17-2005, 05:25 PM
office monkey

piiiiiiiiiiiiics

Man, I really want to check out that ML system. I am happy they added dvd-a playback for that system because IMO it would have been a mistake on their part to have it be CD-only. I can't wait to hear the ML system in the new LS whenever it coems out. That thing should be incredible as I am sure the GS system is.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:03 PM
Instructor

how did u get banned from CL? Anyways, here are some pictures

some other cool features, i forgot to mention were:

knee airbags
auto folding side-view mirrors (for parking in tight spots)
both side-view mirrors fold down while in reverse
headlamp washers
power closing trunk
passenger and driver has 3 memory positions
passenger and driver have same seat controls (i think it's 10-way)
auto pollen smog detection (car circulates inside air for 3 minutes before returning to normal mode)
rear view camera
front sonar park assist (senses an object, and instructs you to steer the steering wheel to clear it)
light sensor in the back of the car that adjusts the dash brightness
has is auto-level, and swivel left to right (RL has this)
Old 02-17-2005, 10:05 PM
office monkey

I got banned because I don't orally pleasure 1sicklex and basically told him he is a jackass in a thread that he started to bash the RL.

I like auto folding mirrors and wish the RL had them.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Cool Finally I saw 3...

Thanks for the pics.

Actually, I finally saw GS300/430 today in our local dealer, who only received one of each, GS300, GS300 AWD, and GS430 so far. The interior is the upgrade to 2G GS, but the central console still looks conventional and Lexus-customary. Lexus won't add any fancy or new tech unless it's mature. For the exterior, I still cannot make myself like its front head. The head of 2G has better shape and style. IMO.

The Navi console and its content are pretty much like Prius', and Bluetooth feature isn't as good as Acura's except you can press phone numbers directly on the screen. Navi isn't any better than Acura's yet. However, I expect it'll stay accurate as it has been. Good seats with comfortable environment, but I don't feel quite "enough" for myself. Maybe the interior doesn't quite reach my expectation. The keyfob's Lexus icon/touch/master key seem nice, but the buttons look so-so. The soft-rubber-touch buttons on the door handles look weird. The 3rd-brake is plain-vanilla sitting on the top of back shelf.

The V6 engine seems timid, wish I could test drive it in next 2 weeks. Northeastern dealers used to get allocations of imported Lexus later than Western coasts'. They even cannot believe LA dealers have been selling them and have tons of cars for customers' test-drive and pickup.

I should fly to LA...
Old 02-17-2005, 10:10 PM
Instructor

I have to get this out, and I don't care if another person agrees with me, but I find the new Lexus to be quite unattractive. I wouldn't care if the seats had twenty ranges of adjustments, I just find it so damn ugly.

(Don't flame me please. It's an opinion only, but boy does this thing make me retch.)
Old 02-17-2005, 11:19 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Quite an impressive tech list for the GS. The pic of the gauges look nice, what can you say about them at night? In the one pic I saw, it seems like they're very illegible when the optitron gauges light up.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:24 PM
Burning Brakes

lol, i was at longo yesterday with my cousins. one of them was taking in his rx330 to fix his moonroof. we spotted the white gs in the basement. so... got anymore pics of your legend? i tried emailing and PMing you with no success. and i'm very interested.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rob L
I got banned because I don't orally pleasure 1sicklex and basically told him he is a jackass in a thread that he started to bash the RL.

I like auto folding mirrors and wish the RL had them.
who cares about 1sickidiot
all he does is troll ALL the freakin acura boards
Old 02-18-2005, 12:16 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by DCRL
I have to get this out, and I don't care if another person agrees with me, but I find the new Lexus to be quite unattractive. I wouldn't care if the seats had twenty ranges of adjustments, I just find it so damn ugly.

(Don't flame me please. It's an opinion only, but boy does this thing make me retch.)
I think so. That's not what I expected after I checked it out in person tonight.

Originally Posted by phile
Quite an impressive tech list for the GS. The pic of the gauges look nice, what can you say about them at night? In the one pic I saw, it seems like they're very illegible when the optitron gauges light up.
It's not that bad when lighting up, but it may take a while to get used to its setup. IMO.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:37 AM
Racer

rets,

Can you clarify your last post... "I think so. That's not what I expected after I checked it out in person tonight."

Are you saying that in person it was nicer than you expected, or that you agree with DCRL?

I'm not sure it's my style, but to each his own....wouldn't the world be boring if everyone always agreed
Pete
Old 02-18-2005, 12:49 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Sorry for not saying it right.

I agree with DCRL.

GS isn't that good, especially after I personally went to the showroom and checked on them. I have 99GS300 and have expected to see something pretty good on 3G GS since the press begins to reveal this vehicle months ago. From the pics, I was not too impressive with its exterior, and I told myself the only way to figure this out is to go to Lexus dealers.

Although I didn't test-drive any of them, I spent an hour on checking/playing them. As I posted above, there are pros and cons, IMHO, and this vehicle isn't that impressive at all. Perhaps, the test-drive in the future would make me feel something interesting.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:16 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I'm not Lexus hater... I have 2G GS, too... but I have to say this...

Btw, did I say I felt something about Pirus while playing around GS's central console... I didn't mean it lowers GS's level, but it seems Prius' system makes Toyota impressive or Toyota is proud of the experimental technology on Prius...

I cannot say it's 100% the same, but their content and the way it displays are pretty similar... especially this phone section.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:20 AM
office monkey

Wont get any flames from me since I feel the same way. Based on pics I dislike the new GS exterior (as well as the interior layout) quite a bit but hey, I'm happy for those who like the look of the car. Back in Dec 2003 the new GS was going to be my first choice for my upgrade but then I saw the unveiling last January and well, I didn't like it so it got put back down my list. Still though, I need to see one in person and test drive it.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

Lookin' good!!

My car is at 70k miles, so I've been getting ready to go through the decision process to get rid of it before 100k (only had one tranny replacement, but don't want to risk it after 100k since I'll have to pay if it fails again). I figure I have 12-16 months before I creep up to 100k.

Believe it or not I am looking at the new TL. I was never a huge fan of it until I saw it with the RonJon bodykit. That is changing my mind. I also love the new Maxima. Drove one a few months back, and that car is fast. Feels much faster then my TL.

I've also been thinking about the new GS, RL or M35/M45. The one thing that gets me on the GS is that the 300 has less power then my '02 TL-S. Not sure if I want to downgrade a bit as I still like the sporty feel, but I don't want a V8. I'll probably drive one just to see if I like it.. b/c I love what I see so far (and the possibilities on this car seem endless for the aftermarket ).

Anyway, we'll see which car I go for. Depends how much money I want to spend... and I still have some time before I make the plunge. I hope you stay on the forum to provide us with your experiences. Even though this is an Acura forum... most of the people here appreciate the other brands as well .
Old 02-18-2005, 09:13 AM
Pro

Well, you will get flames from me because as an RL owner I've gone through the same criticism about the RL on the Lexus and Infiniti boards and it just makes me sick. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but if you don't like the looks, just say it's not for you instead of "it makes me retch". That is just juvenile.

And if you're thinking maybe Lexus owners should stick to the Lexus forum, I'm glad Frebay is here because his comments are the only way I can get unbiased comparisons without having the RL torn apart the way they do it on the other forums. Every one of these cars is on my radar screen, so I welcome other owners here and will do my best to make unbiased comments.

Rob L has often mentioned the "fanboys" that make the rude comments on the other forums. Well, that was a "fanboy" comment if I've ever seen one. Sorry, but I would expect better from an RL owner.

Quick Reply: Decided to go w/ a GS