Customer Service...is it really that hard to do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 06:59 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Customer Service...is it really that hard to do?

Yesterday, I took my '06 RL Non-Tech in to Prime Acura(formerly Clair Acura in East Walpole, MA) for a Oil change and diff fluid change yesterday because the B16 code showed up on the MID. I made an appointment for 0700(as soon as the dealship opens in the morning) so I would be the first car in. Usually I wait, but since the diff fluid was being done, and I only work less than 1 mile from the dealer I requested the shuttle, and that I wanted to pick the car up at 1130, so I could then go to lunch. Here were my issues...

1. They tried to upsell me on the B16 service($400+, but basically an A16 with a tire rotation) When I made the appointment I specifically asked for ONLY the oil change and diff fliud change, nothing else, so it was $145 for the diff, and $34 for the oil change. When I got my receipt it was 10 pages long, 2 for the work done and price and 8 pages of why I should get the B16 service and dire predictions of how my car will fall apart if I don't replace my brake fluid and coolant immediately.

2. You would think a simple oil change, diff fluid change and car wash would not take 4.5 hours(of course it wouldn't.), but when I called at 1145 to see if the car was ready, it wasn't The service rep says to me, "We were very busy today, with many people coming in without appointments."... EXCUSE ME?!?!?!? so people that do plan ahead and make appointments don't matter to you?!?!?

3. When the shuttle(Honda Odessy minivan with 100K+ miles that has seen better days) dropped me off at the dealer thay again tried to scare me into getting a brake fluid and coolant change.

4. When I call the Service phone # from the Dealer website it never goes straight to service, it goes to a bitchy receptionist that tells me I should have called the service #!!!
Old 12-30-2009, 08:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
With car sales way down, dealers need to do whatever they can to bring in revenue. Unfortunately, some dealers go too far and service suffers. I have no problem with a dealer recommending additional work, I understand it's part of their job, but I also expect them to understand the word "no." My dealer is pretty good at it and seems to be very concerned with getting any rating other than perfect when Acura calls to follow up. I'll always get a call from the dealer first, just to make sure I'm happy.

Looks like your dealer needs to understand that no means no and perhaps it's time to speak with Acura and have them explain it to the dealer. That, or if possible, find another dealer.

LL
Old 12-30-2009, 09:14 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am sorry to say that is the dealer I use also.
When I was scheduled for the B16 and retrieved the car I noticed they hadn't changed the rear diff fluid. The service writer, even after "checking" with the tech said the car had no rear differential!
Acura got it settled and had the fluid changed as a courtesy.
When I went to the Auto Show in Boston a few weeks ago Acura was one of the few with dealer reps at the booths, instead of factory people. They still haven't figured it out.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Indeed, Service Centers are key in dealership profits these days.....which is WHY they need not alienate their customers!

I am thankful for a great Acura dealer and a great relationship with the Service Manager, Advisors and Techs (I feed them! ).

But when you checked in your RL, did you not sign a customer release? This documentation either authorizes what can be done, or what CANNOT be done and at what threshold you must be contacted for approval if additional service is advised?

I believe it is an Acura policy. Your argument with CS should be based on this. It seems your dealership is stretching the policy to corner customers into unwanted services or fees.

It also sounds like the 'appointments' were jockeyed for best profit over appointments and and then drive ups.

Look over your check in paperwork and discuss this with CS. Let us know how it goes.

*Heading South to Amundsen-Scott*
Old 12-30-2009, 10:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Tampa! Lucky bastage on your trip.

lumpulus...doesn't matter what the service people say. You went a la carte on the service based on the manual and their job is to do what you say...and what you are saying comes straight from the service manual, so they have no argument. Don't feel badly about what you did.

End of story.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:29 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Tampa! Lucky bastage on your trip.
Indeed. It is likely colder in your neck of the woods! Drake Passage was eerily calm, so we sailed the western side of Palmer. I'll debark and fly over Ellsworth, and weather permitting will be at the Polar Station for New Year's Eve. Then I can take one step into each time zone and celebrate the New Year 24 times.

Satellite is spotty now, but should be back online upon reach Amundsen-Scott.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Prime Acura (formerly Clair) is the worst - why do you think they changed their name? Acura of Boston (owned by Bernardi Honda) isn't much better.

I've had decent service experiences with my RL at Acura of Auburn and my wife takes her MDX to Herb Connolly in Framingham. Both places will at least do the service requested.

Outside of the car styling problems and the apparent lack of marketing know-how at Acura corporate, the biggest issue with the brand is the lack of a standard dealership experience. Around here, the Honda dealerships are generally newer and nicer than the Acura dealerships - that's a problem.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:22 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
dwboston, problem is, I can walk to Prime from my work(except it's too damn cold now)...and you're right...Boch Honda in Norwood is where I usually go to get my oil changed...you probably already know it's huge(50 service bays in the lower level) and no appointment needed there.

Auburn and Framingham are the wrong way from where I live(closer to First Acura(all the Clair people went there after Prime bought them out, and First Acura is the old Acura of Newport, RI.) LOL Musical Acura Dealerships.

Neuronb...Perish the thought about me feeling bad...I am infamous at most dealerships around here for giving them a hard time. I had the Sales Manager at a dealership tell me once he'd prefer I buy my next car elsewhere after the papers were signed.

This being my 6th Acura in a row since I bought an '89 Integra LS, I've spent some time in many different dealerships for shceduled maintenance, and I can count on one hand the occasions I left a dealership completely satisfied.

Good thing Acura makes great cars.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
When it's time to change the coolant, the MID will let you know, it's a 5 code. You can do it yourself anyway, very simple.

As for brake fluid, it is not a code that will show up on the MID, but the recommendation by Acura is to change it once every three years...06s are now due for it, hence the dealer recommending it. The dealer is right to warn you about it as bad brake fluid is not something you want to drive around with. Take a look at it under the hood, if it looks clear, you should be fine, it if looks dirty or you can see debris floating in it, time for a change. I wouldn't take it to the dealer...any aftermarket shop can do it very simply and almost certainly cheaper, just make sure they use the right fluid, DOT 3 or 4 probably.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
I hate that you can't edit posts here. I should heed my own advice, just looked at my brake fluid and it's dirty. I bought the car with 43500 miles on it back in mid-07, thought they would have changed the fluid as part of a CPO inspection, guess not. BTW, my dealer wants $130 to change it, a local shop wants $60, it's getting done on Tuesday for $60.

I had noticed it was taking more of a push on the brakes to stop the car and I know my pads are fine, this would explain it.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:46 PM
Instructor

In my 06 (56 k miles) I am more concerned about changing the autotran fluid but think I'll get hosed at Prime. I recall there was another thread where that was mentioned (drain and fill 3x, shift into all gears in intermediate test drives) but wonder if I can trust an independent shop. Auburn and Framingham are out of the question.
Could probably buy Honda ATF on-line to save some $$. The trick is to find the right shop in a convenient location and not totally expensive.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Advanced

I take my RL to Acura of Boston, mostly because I work about 2 miles away and drive by the place every day. I've only been in for a couple services, but haven't faced an upsell or hardsell. At my first service, they mentioned that brake pads were worn and could be replaced now or later at my convenience.

I had my previous TL serviced at Acura of Peabody (or whatever it's called) and had good experiences there as well.