Consumer Reports luxury car ratings

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 11:16 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GoHawks
I think the glitches that occurred with the '05s kinda dragged it down.
I confirmed this with one of the Consumer Report's people in a posting on their website- I subcribe electronically. CR hasn't re-reviewed the RL since the 2005 model. CR still has a hangover due to the 2005 issues.

Let's face it people the 2005 RL had many problems- confirmed by the manager of my Acura dealer and by anecdotal evidence. I realize some of you have the 2005 model and have no issues, but there has been a disproportionate amount of trouble with the 2005 model year. It was the first year of the new model and this isn't uncommon for new models, but Honda/Acura has such a steller reputation for reliability I feel that CR hammered them negatively for it.

I just passed the 10K mile mark with my 2007 RL- great car, no issues and the best car I've ever owned.

It's a joke that the Cadillac is rated higher than the RL. It's a friggin' couch on wheels that breaks down all the time.

Like any publication CR isn't the bible. I do think they're the best for rating cars. That doesn't mean that I agree with all their ratings obviously, but thier car testing facility is top notch, they buy cars anonymously, don't accept advertising and generally do a good job.

I excoriated CR on their website and went on a rant about how Honda/Acura makes the most reliable cars and that the 2005 RL problems were an anomoly and that the 2006 and 2007 models had none of those issues. I reminded them that they are a bunch of liberal, quiche eating, Birkenstock wearing, girly men and to their credit they gave me honest replys- no return insults. I repeat, the 2005 model year is what they base their ratings on and haven't tested 2006 or 2007 models. I'll find out if they'll test the 2008 RL. I haven't been here or there in a while.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:59 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree, but

To your point, CR, I assume as a result of the recent reliability survey, upgraded the RL from their first tier recommended status to their second tier, highest, recommended status. This was done without notice, mention, or fanfare by CR.

It is too bad that Acura has not made some modest changes to the RL -- sheet metal, engine transmission, etc -- so that CR and others will retest it against the competition. The competition has continued to improve. Having eliminated some of the quirks and reliability issues of the 05 model with modest improvements, the RL should compare well. At least there should not be the gap between the M35 and RL that they show today. With the lack of visible incremental improvements and invisible marketing, a great car is not getting the attention and notice it deserves. Unfortunately, the sales figures show that.

Common on Acura -- give CR and others a reason to make you a leading competitor -- build on the recent reliablity data momentum.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:33 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by klister
To your point, CR, I assume as a result of the recent reliability survey, upgraded the RL from their first tier recommended status to their second tier, highest, recommended status. This was done without notice, mention, or fanfare by CR.

It is too bad that Acura has not made some modest changes to the RL -- sheet metal, engine transmission, etc -- so that CR and others will retest it against the competition. The competition has continued to improve. Having eliminated some of the quirks and reliability issues of the 05 model with modest improvements, the RL should compare well. At least there should not be the gap between the M35 and RL that they show today. With the lack of visible incremental improvements and invisible marketing, a great car is not getting the attention and notice it deserves. Unfortunately, the sales figures show that.

Common on Acura -- give CR and others a reason to make you a leading competitor -- build on the recent reliablity data momentum.

This is one of the best analysis I have heard.