View Poll Results: What has been your experience with the CMBS system based on the year of your car?
06 Owner: Stage 1 initiates well in advance of impact and triggers Stage 2 if I don't quickly react
62.50%
06 Owner: Stage 1 initiates at the last possible opportunity to avoid an impact.
12.50%
07 Owner: Stage 1 initiates well in advance of impact and triggers Stage 2 if I don't quickly react
12.50%
07 Owner: Stage 1 initiates at the last possible opportunity to avoid an impact.
12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

CMBS Poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Well, I tried everything to resolve this complaint with Acura. But in the end, they confirmed it was working properly, but did not agree it performed significantly different then advertised from their initial tv commercials and ads back in 2006.

A legal firm in L.A. reviewed my complaint and agreed with me. A suit has been filed in California courts and we will be trying to get it certified for a Class Action in the coming months.

The law firm doesn't need anymore class representatives, however, they are looking for experiences from other owners as they gather facts and build the case. If you feel you have something significant to share, or want to learn more about the suit. Contact Payam Shahian as shown below.

Initiative Legal Group LLP
Payam Shahian
310-556-5637
PShahian@initiativelegal.com
www.initiativelegal.com

Thanks to everyone who worked with me to try and solve this issue. I still love my RL. I just hate the fact that I paid $4000 for a CMBS system that doesn't work anything close to how it was advertised.
Spicy, what exactly are you looking for from Acura with regard to the CMBS system and how it actually performs?

Are you looking to have them re-program your system so it activates as you believe the TV commercial illustrates? Or, do you want them to refund the cost of the system because it doesn't live up to your expectations?

Just wondering, because as cases like these wind through the courts, most of the people on this forum who even own RL/CMBS cars -- as well as among the general Acura owning public -- won't even still have their cars by the time any settlement is reached. Assuming even a favorable outcome.

This is not simply rhetorical, because as you know, I am also the owner of a PAX/CMBS RL.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:39 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackzilla
Spicy, what exactly are you looking for from Acura with regard to the CMBS system and how it actually performs?

Are you looking to have them re-program your system so it activates as you believe the TV commercial illustrates? Or, do you want them to refund the cost of the system because it doesn't live up to your expectations?

Just wondering, because as cases like these wind through the courts, most of the people on this forum who even own RL/CMBS cars -- as well as among the general Acura owning public -- won't even still have their cars by the time any settlement is reached. Assuming even a favorable outcome.

This is not simply rhetorical, because as you know, I am also the owner of a PAX/CMBS RL.
Well, my expectations from Acura have changed over the last 6 months as this has evolved.

At first, I sincerely thought my particular car was "broken" and I just wanted them to fix it . That took 3 months, but I eventually was convinced by Acura that it wasn't broken, but simply didn't work as I expected. In that 3 months of back-and-forth with acura, I learned, and they confirmed, that the system was modified at the last minute before production and the user sensitivity adjustment setting was removed from the car. It evidently is now "hardwired" to the lowest sensitivity setting. The user adjustment feature worked just like the Adaptive Cruise sensitivity setting works. Acura's own RL Service Manual still refers to it, but Acura confirmed the feature isn't there on the car

After that phase, then I simply wanted them to adjust my car to be at the highest sensitivy rather then the lowest sensitivity. That would have made me happy. Instead they told me that wasn't possible and also tried to convince me that my expectations and interpretation of their advertising was just plain wrong.

Well, that just made me mad and I then decided to go the legal route. At this point, the lawsuit primarly demands that American Honda a) stop advertising this feature as a 3 stage "early warning" system, and b) give me me my money back (with interest) for the cost of the CMBS package.

The CMBS system was the primary reason I bought the car and feel totally hustled by the advertising and commercials I saw before I bought it. Do you remember the TV commercials they used to run back in 06 hyping the CMBS system? I particularly remember the "fog" commercial that made the CMBS system seem like this great early warning system to help you safely recognize danger ahead with a series of alerts. If you don't remember it (or never saw it) you can still check it out on the ad agencies website. Kind of hard to get to it, but here's how you can view it.

- Go to www.rpa.com
- skiip past the intro page
- use the Navigation bar at the top to scroll the timeline back to October 2005 (10.2005)
- Look for the "2006 Acura RL Campaign"
- Click on the thumbnail that is on the far right showing the fog scene.

Watch that commercial and tell me if your car works ANYTHING like that depiction. I understand ads will puff up and exagerate products they are selling. But this is so far from how the system really works, I feel Acura should be held responsible.

This is now an active legal case so there's not much more I can talk about besides this. If you want to learn more, you can PM me, or call the law firm directly.

Hope that explained it better.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Just got back from out of town and found this. Sorry to hear you have to take things this far, Mikey.