CMBS/PAX Limitations?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 10:28 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CMBS/PAX Limitations?

I am considering a 2007 RL. Does the CMBS/PAX option restirct the ability to change to aftermarket wheels and tires on the RL (e.g. 19")?

Thanks -

John
Old 03-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
There are some differences in some parts of the suspension between the standard and PAX equipped cars but my guess is that they wouldn't create a big problem if you want to get rid of the PAX. You will have to get a spare tire, trunk insert, hold down bolt, new wheel nuts, and a few other small parts if you change wheels (I prices it all out at just over $500). You may also need a new set of tire pressure monitors.

I'll probably change wheels/tires when it's time to replace the PAX tires.

LL
Old 03-16-2007, 11:54 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The owner's manual states that the car was designed to work specifically with the PAX tire system. I take it this means suspension and TPMS. I do not know whether the swapping out of wheels would do anything you'd notice.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:26 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by JWadle
I am considering a 2007 RL. Does the CMBS/PAX option restirct the ability to change to aftermarket wheels and tires on the RL (e.g. 19")?

Thanks -

John
The hub assembly is completely different on CMBS/PAX model. You can't even get a factory A-Spec kit with the CMBS/PAX.

If you want to swap wheels, get a tech package.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:04 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Actually no. You can get aftermarket wheels but you have to change the settings for the wheel size in the computer. The non US RL's all have CMBS and do not use PAX wheels. Its a simple setting adjustment done through the nav system. If the overall wheel diameter doesn't change you don't have to adjust anything. However the new rims must have TPMS sensors.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
While I have never tried it, the dealer assures me that changing wheels and tires from PAX is expensive, but can be done. The thing that cannot be done is to play with the suspension, specifically substituting the A-Spec suspension. The rears are different in some way, which can be confirmed by the different part numbers for rear springs and shocks in the PAX equipped cars, versus the non PAX equipped cars. So if you want to do mods, it is safer to get the non ACC/CMBS/PAX equipped cars. But I do love my ACC.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:59 PM
A Saitama Garage

Originally Posted by RL06tech
Actually no. You can get aftermarket wheels but you have to change the settings for the wheel size in the computer. The non US RL's all have CMBS and do not use PAX wheels. Its a simple setting adjustment done through the nav system. If the overall wheel diameter doesn't change you don't have to adjust anything. However the new rims must have TPMS sensors.
Anyone know how to get to this setting?
Old 02-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck091279
Anyone know how to get to this setting?
Via the hidden diagnostic menu. Hold then Map-Menu-Cancel buttons simultaneously for like 5 seconds and the menu will pop up.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:22 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by black label
The hub assembly is completely different on CMBS/PAX model. You can't even get a factory A-Spec kit with the CMBS/PAX.

If you want to swap wheels, get a tech package.
This is incorrect. The hub assemblie(s) are exactly the same. I know because I purchased an RL compact spare for my CMBS/PAX model, which I use now for tire rotation, and it fits the front and back hubs perfectly. The only difference is that standard wheel lug nuts are required for attaching the compact spare.

Saw the spare on E-bay for a really good price and bought it in anticipation of probably switching to standard wheels when the PAX wore out. So far, however, they seem to be wearing like iron and it appears they'll last at least 40K miles -- rotated every 7500.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jackzilla
This is incorrect. The hub assemblie(s) are exactly the same. I know because I purchased an RL compact spare for my CMBS/PAX model, which I use now for tire rotation, and it fits the front and back hubs perfectly. The only difference is that standard wheel lug nuts are required for attaching the compact spare.

Saw the spare on E-bay for a really good price and bought it in anticipation of probably switching to standard wheels when the PAX wore out. So far, however, they seem to be wearing like iron and it appears they'll last at least 40K miles -- rotated every 7500.
I agree. This is what my dealer parts guy told me when we were researching the A-Spec suspension for the CMBS/PAX car.

We checked out the part numbers that interfaced with the A-Spec suspension, and they were all identical to the non PAX cars. The front suspension parts that the A-Spec suspension replaces were identical part numbers in the non PAX and the PAX car. The rear suspension parts that the A-Spec suspension replaces were slight different. The rear springs were identical part numbers, but the rear dampers were different part numbers. In addition, the hubs on the non PAX cars and the PAX cars appeared to be identical part numbers.

And yes, the PAX wheels use different lug nuts from the non PAX wheels, but the same studs.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chas2
I agree. This is what my dealer parts guy told me when we were researching the A-Spec suspension for the CMBS/PAX car.

We checked out the part numbers that interfaced with the A-Spec suspension, and they were all identical to the non PAX cars. The front suspension parts that the A-Spec suspension replaces were identical part numbers in the non PAX and the PAX car. The rear suspension parts that the A-Spec suspension replaces were slight different. The rear springs were identical part numbers, but the rear dampers were different part numbers. In addition, the hubs on the non PAX cars and the PAX cars appeared to be identical part numbers.

And yes, the PAX wheels use different lug nuts from the non PAX wheels, but the same studs.
That's my understanding too.

The only thing that's different about PAX system cars is how the TPMS works if there's a low pressure detected on one of the wheels. When this occurs, the TPMS system goes into a milage accumulation mode -- counting run-flat miles up to the limit of 125. At that point, if you haven't been able to get the car to a repair facility, the system goes into some emergency warning mode -- telling you to STOP and have the car towed to prevent unrepairable damage to the tire.

There's a procedure for resetting the PAX tire warning system after the repair is made. This is, as far as I can see, the only thing that would be different about PAX car with regualar tires -- resetting the computer if a low pressure condition was detected.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Safety Car

I wonder if that is the computer setting RL06tech talked about up above? I also recall, but cannot confirm, that the PAX TPMS part number is identical to the non PAX TPMS part number.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jackzilla
That's my understanding too.

The only thing that's different about PAX system cars is how the TPMS works if there's a low pressure detected on one of the wheels. When this occurs, the TPMS system goes into a milage accumulation mode -- counting run-flat miles up to the limit of 125. At that point, if you haven't been able to get the car to a repair facility, the system goes into some emergency warning mode -- telling you to STOP and have the car towed to prevent unrepairable damage to the tire.

There's a procedure for resetting the PAX tire warning system after the repair is made. This is, as far as I can see, the only thing that would be different about PAX car with regualar tires -- resetting the computer if a low pressure condition was detected.
I wonder if that is the computer setting RL06tech talked about up above? I also recall, but cannot confirm now, that the PAX TPMS part number is identical to the non PAX TPMS part number, at least in the 06 models.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chas2
I wonder if that is the computer setting RL06tech talked about up above? I also recall, but cannot confirm now, that the PAX TPMS part number is identical to the non PAX TPMS part number, at least in the 06 models.
As far as I know the TPMS wheel transponders are the same for both PAX and non-PAX equiped cars. If the low pressure for which a warning is issued is different for the two systems that would just be a matter of coputer programming.