Clock Display Out- Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018 | 05:17 AM
Racer

Clock Display Out- Need Advice

Hi once again guys. For the longest time, I have been having an issue where my clock display totally goes out. I've had AcuraCare up until the end of 2017. Of course when it came to replicating the issue to the dealer, the clock stayed lit. But now, 2 months after my AcuraCare warranty expired, it's finally out for good and I was finally able to replicate the issue for the dealer. They said I needed a new LCD clock display. We called AcuraCare and they would not touch it. The warranty was still well worth it though as I got a propeller shaft, both door handles, and a new nav screen out of it. The Service Rep called his district manager and he said he would split the cost with me. The part they said was $6xx and was charging me $3xx for it and installation. We then proceeded to call Acura itself to see if they can goodwill it. At first they said they can't do anything because the DM was meeting me halfway. I then told them my wife and I both own Acuras and we both had the warranty. But most of all, I told them that I have been complaining about this problem for like 2 years but the dealer was never able to replicate it; however they made a note of it. I also said that I just had warranty work done on the car at the end of December so it's not like this is the first time it came up or that this happened 6-12 months after the warranty expired. So the telephone rep finally said, do the work at the dealer, pay the $3xx, submit the bill and part # to Acura, and they would consider it for Goodwill.

So I wanted to know if anyone else had a similar predicament and what was your attempted solution & outcome. I'd of course welcome any input and advice either way though. Thanks as always!
Old 03-02-2018 | 06:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SSjTrunks112O
Hi once again guys. For the longest time, I have been having an issue where my clock display totally goes out. I've had AcuraCare up until the end of 2017. Of course when it came to replicating the issue to the dealer, the clock stayed lit. But now, 2 months after my AcuraCare warranty expired, it's finally out for good and I was finally able to replicate the issue for the dealer. They said I needed a new LCD clock display. We called AcuraCare and they would not touch it. The warranty was still well worth it though as I got a propeller shaft, both door handles, and a new nav screen out of it. The Service Rep called his district manager and he said he would split the cost with me. The part they said was $6xx and was charging me $3xx for it and installation. We then proceeded to call Acura itself to see if they can goodwill it. At first they said they can't do anything because the DM was meeting me halfway. I then told them my wife and I both own Acuras and we both had the warranty. But most of all, I told them that I have been complaining about this problem for like 2 years but the dealer was never able to replicate it; however they made a note of it. I also said that I just had warranty work done on the car at the end of December so it's not like this is the first time it came up or that this happened 6-12 months after the warranty expired. So the telephone rep finally said, do the work at the dealer, pay the $3xx, submit the bill and part # to Acura, and they would consider it for Goodwill.

So I wanted to know if anyone else had a similar predicament and what was your attempted solution & outcome. I'd of course welcome any input and advice either way though. Thanks as always!
So to be clear are you talking about the "pod" near the windshield? If so I had same issue with mine flickering and such popped it out and re-soldered all joints and all good. I am not the only one with this and there is a thread on this issue. I dont remember part being that expensive so we may not be talking the same thing.
The following users liked this post:
SSjTrunks112O (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018 | 07:13 AM
Racer

Just re-fixed mine yesterday.....follow the previous DIY. When you take it apart you will see a green connector. This is usually where the issue is. Re-solder ALL the joints where the connector attaches to the circuit board. Be sure to use flux to clean the joints before and after resoldering. I did not when I first did it 8 months ago and the flickering returned.
The following users liked this post:
SSjTrunks112O (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018 | 10:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 08KBP_VA
So to be clear are you talking about the "pod" near the windshield? If so I had same issue with mine flickering and such popped it out and re-soldered all joints and all good. I am not the only one with this and there is a thread on this issue. I dont remember part being that expensive so we may not be talking the same thing.
Yeah the pod in between the nav and windshield. I tried to search for a thread and nothing came up though.
Old 03-02-2018 | 10:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Walfunk
Just re-fixed mine yesterday.....follow the previous DIY. When you take it apart you will see a green connector. This is usually where the issue is. Re-solder ALL the joints where the connector attaches to the circuit board. Be sure to use flux to clean the joints before and after resoldering. I did not when I first did it 8 months ago and the flickering returned.
I tried to search for it but nothing came up. I'll try again.
Old 03-02-2018 | 12:50 PM
Racer

@SSjTrunks112O try here: https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-a...ay-fix-957702/
The following 3 users liked this post by Walfunk:
projektvertx (03-23-2018), RL09 (03-03-2018), SSjTrunks112O (03-02-2018)
Old 03-23-2018 | 12:56 AM
Cruisin'

Mine goes out once in a long while. I just give it a good hard tap on top and it comes back on.
Old 03-23-2018 | 07:34 AM
Racer

It will eventually stop responding to a tap...gets very annoying. The fix is easy and no more tapping.