Clicking sound from the shifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Clicking sound from the shifter

I noticed there's a clicking sound coming from the shifter when I start from a complete stop AND when I come to a complete stop. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 01-11-2011, 11:14 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
I recall this being discussed before. If I remember correctly there is a solenoid in the shifter that prevents you from shifting the car into reverse while moving. The clicking you hear is the solenoid opening/closing, engaging/disengaging, etc., ehatever term you want to use.

I don't believe it was supposed to make the noise, but it does develop. Mine has done this for several years now . Annoying at first, but I hardly notice it any more.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Agreed, it's the solenoid.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Drifting

I tried searching the forum for this but didn't see anything. Thank you guys for the quick replies. Is this something that needs to be addressed or just a minor annoyance?
Old 01-11-2011, 11:46 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by thephantom
I tried searching the forum for this but didn't see anything. Thank you guys for the quick replies. Is this something that needs to be addressed or just a minor annoyance?

I do think it's a minor annoyance. I have 77K miles on mine and I've noticed it for at least a couple of years and it hasn't developed into any sort of failure or anything. I guess I could have the dealer look at it since I do have the AcuraCare warranty up to a 100K miles, but I tend to be cautious on what I bring up. My dealer at least charges a $100 "diagnostic fee". If the problem is legitimate they don't actually charge you for it, but they will if they come back and say that there's no issue.

Since I have some time left on the warranty and it's a minor annoyance (to me), I've lived with it. As I said I barely notice it any more.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:56 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts
I have also noticed this sound, and that it also occurs when the car is in Park and I cycle the brake pedal. Before I saw the thread it sounded to me like some kind of interlock moving in and out, like the interlock that keeps you from shifting out of Park without your foot on the brake. Maybe the same interlock serves the same purpose.

I wanna hear from someone who has talked to the dealer about this.

I think I'm going to squak it to the dealer and see what they say.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I went to my dealer before and they said it's the solenoid lock locking/unlocking. At first I didn't buy it so I took it to another dealer and they said the same thing as well. My understanding is that a little bit of sound during locking/unlocking is normal, but it shouldn't be "too" noticeable. (i.e. when the radio is on)

I was also told the 08 model uses a different mechanism so it doesn't have the sound, but since mine is 06 I don't know if that's true.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I opened this thread about this issue: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=clunk

But I have a conclusion which is that a very energetic tech found the problem and fixed it.

With my first visit, it was deemed "normal", and they said that the other RLs in the shop and on the lot did it, and the TL, and the TSX.

At a later visit, I spoke with the service manager and felt that while it was "normal", the brands top-line luxury car shouldn't be making a noise like this, especially when it didn't when new. Seeing my point she had the tech look into it, and he dug in deep.

This being more than a year ago, I recall that some lubrication that degraded in some sort of interlock-related plunger or plastic and that caused the clunk. They ended up replacing some white plastic bits in that assembly, greasing it perhaps, and the problem went away (for now). There's still a click when pressing, but the clunk while accelerating and braking has abated.

Rob144
Old 01-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rob144
I opened this thread about this issue: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=clunk

But I have a conclusion which is that a very energetic tech found the problem and fixed it.

With my first visit, it was deemed "normal", and they said that the other RLs in the shop and on the lot did it, and the TL, and the TSX.

At a later visit, I spoke with the service manager and felt that while it was "normal", the brands top-line luxury car shouldn't be making a noise like this, especially when it didn't when new. Seeing my point she had the tech look into it, and he dug in deep.

This being more than a year ago, I recall that some lubrication that degraded in some sort of interlock-related plunger or plastic and that caused the clunk. They ended up replacing some white plastic bits in that assembly, greasing it perhaps, and the problem went away (for now). There's still a click when pressing, but the clunk while accelerating and braking has abated.

Rob144
Thanks, Rob! It's only a light tick sound right now, but I'll keep an eye on it and see if it gets louder.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:58 AM
06 RL - Carbon Gray Pearl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got the clicking sound too..

With my radio off this morning, I couldn't help but hear the clicking sound coming from the shifter over and over. When you come to a full stop, you hear it. When you accelerate...at 5 mph, you hear it again.

Reading this thread it does not seem to be a problem. But if you have to wonder why wasn't the sound there when the car was new?

I guess the next time I go to the dealer I will have them check it out. Get them to at least document it.