CD-RW MP3 discs in the '05 RL?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 10:40 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CD-RW MP3 discs in the '05 RL?

I ran a search on this and didn't find anything...I seem to remember reading that th RL will play MP3 files from CD-RW discs. Am I remembering incorrectly, does it just play MP3 files off of CD-R discs (which I have gotten to work)? I don't have the manual handy to check. If anyone has gotten this to work, please post the details of how the CD-RW was formatted, etc.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:13 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I use CD-Rs and CD-RWs all the time in RL. Both low speed (4x) and high speed (10x) CD-RWs do just great. I use them as regular Audio CDs and as MP3/WMA CDs. Don't know what can be wrong with yours.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:26 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the reply. What software do you use and on which OS (i.e. Nero, EasyCD Creator, etc.)? How do you prepare a new CD-RW when you want to use it for the first time? I have tried formatting using Nero's InCD 4.3.0.5, which seems to work fine. I then copy my MP3 files over without a problem. When I put the disc in the RL it tries to read it for a while and then says "NO DISC" (I think that's the error, it's been a couple of days).
Old 04-20-2005, 06:32 PM
Instructor

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by larryka
Thanks for the reply. What software do you use and on which OS (i.e. Nero, EasyCD Creator, etc.)? How do you prepare a new CD-RW when you want to use it for the first time? I have tried formatting using Nero's InCD 4.3.0.5, which seems to work fine. I then copy my MP3 files over without a problem. When I put the disc in the RL it tries to read it for a while and then says "NO DISC" (I think that's the error, it's been a couple of days).
I use Nero.
Frankly, I don't remember how I prepare them for the first time. I have a bunch and use them all the time. Don't think I did anything special, like formatting. I don't use InCD though. I just make regular Data CD with Nero and usually close the session. Woah, may be that's what confuses it in your case!? I bet InCD doesn't close the session!
Old 04-20-2005, 06:59 PM
Advanced

Ah. I guess I was hoping that the RL would support packetized (sp?) data on the CD-RW. I'll give the regular burning method a shot, I think I'd still be able to erase the CD-RW and re-burn if I want to, but I'm not positive.

I was hoping to automate my podcast downloads and burning so that I can just grab the CD-RW in the morning and listen to the new casts during my commute. Too bad the RL doesn't read SD or CF cards.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:59 PM
Cruisin'

DVD-Rs?

Along the same lines, can DVD-R / DVD-RW be used for MP3 discs? You could fit all sorts of MP3s on one of those.

Ian
Old 04-20-2005, 07:05 PM
Cruisin'

Never mind, I searched and found that it will not play DVD-R/RW:

"The RL has a 6-disc in-dash changer that can play DVD-Audio, CD, MP3 and WMA media. DVD audio is the next step in audio reproduction technology. Many new releases are being issued in this new format, and many older recordings are being re-mastered and reissued to take advantage of the superior sound that DVD audio offers. With over 500 times higher resolution than CD audio, DVD audio delivers smoother, fuller and far more accurate sound. (The system will not play DVD movies, DVD-Video or DVD-R/RW.)"

Link
Old 04-20-2005, 07:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by larryka
I'll give the regular burning method a shot, I think I'd still be able to erase the CD-RW and re-burn if I want to, but I'm not positive.
Sure you can! That's what I always do.
I'm not sure if Nero has command line interface or otherwise scriptable, but
I'd be damn surprized if it doesn't.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:30 AM
10th Gear

dvd video and dvd-R?

hi i have a one question for RL... i have Rl but it doesn't play dvd video and dvd-R is there anyway i can make it to play dvd video and dvd-R? without adding any other screens or parts in a car... if there is some kind of parts go into the wires or something.. u know what i mean? i like to make my car inside clean.. i like to watch in RL navigation... i hope i can get it.. tell me if u guys know please~~~~
Old 04-23-2005, 08:57 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by konst_ms
Sure you can! That's what I always do.
I'm not sure if Nero has command line interface or otherwise scriptable, but
I'd be damn surprized if it doesn't.
I was able to use a CD-RW in my RL on a long drive I took yesterday. As you said, the trick is using it as a regular CD-R. I was also able to erase it and re-burn files to it and the RL was fine with that. Thanks for the input.

I'll let you know what I end up doing with the scripting. I recently got the rss2imap perl script working so I can now read and synchronize my feeds on multiple machines easily. I'll probably automate the podcast pulls and burns in a perl script on my Linux box as well.