Car starting problem 2006 RL

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 11:21 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car starting problem 2006 RL

I have a 2006 RL, about 2 months ago my battery started dying where I would have to jump the car every morning to get it going.
This battery issue started when it was really cold(31F) outside. I took the car into the dealership and since it was under warranty they replaced the alternator and said that was my issues.
I took the car back last Wednesday because I was having all sorts of Error Messages come up on the dash "VSA" "BRAKE" "SH-AWD". The guy at Vandergriff Acura in Arlington, TX told me that they ran 30 tests on the alternator and there was nothing wrong with it, but I took the car by Auto Zone a day earlier and they tested the battery and said the battery was fine but it did not have charge; they then went on to checking the alternator and said it was putting out only 33amps when it should be at 100amps.

Long story short! The service rep calls me and tells me I need to shell out 770 for the Bluetooth Unit (Honda P/N 39770-SJA-A012-M1) plus 120 labor. I said "I have never used the Bluetooth" he said "great we will unplug it." Since I was at work I had my wife get the car back. When I looked at the unit they gave her and it looks like they broke it out of the car. (should I post pictures?) Also the backup camera I installed last summer displays a green screen.
Should i replace the unit? What should I do about the back up camera?
Old 11-25-2011, 06:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
What the?

OK, #1, post pictures so we can see the unit. They took it out instead of just pulling the fuse to it? Whaaaaaa? At first glance, smells of dealer screwup but we don't have all the facts yet.

#2, This was almost certainly a battery problem. This is common in 2G RLs and there are many, many threads on the issue. They have a weak-ass stock Delco battery. The first thing the dealer should have done was to replace the battery, not the alternator. That would likely have ended your story.

#3. I had the same problem when I had my RL. I had a battery drain they thought initially was because of the Bluetooth unit. It was replaced in warranty for free, but I still had the problem. It was eventually found to be the trunk release the dealer installed at the time of my backup camera install. No more problems after that. Personally, if $890 is a lot of money for an install, you can try to source the BT part from a wrecked RL in a junkyard, or on eBay, then have them install it. IMHO, if you are not using BT, you should be to keep both hands on the wheel when you are driving.

#4, Did the backup camera work before you took it to the dealer? if so, TAKE IT BACK and tell them (firmly but nicely) that you need it fixed.

HTH!