Car-buying factors changing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 04:51 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Good feedback, thanks. I won't even go look at the MB because I'm sure I'll have the same impression. Don't even like the look of it (although I like MB styling in general). Surprised you didn't look at the Lex GX. A good friend of mine has it. I borowed it once for a road trip. Rides nice, and it's a good looker (imo). But of course, the Nav can't compare. Also, tried to use the Voice Recognition. I gave up, it was practically unusable.

OK, we better stop talking about MDX's now or Bob's going to move this thread
Old 06-22-2007, 05:13 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike, congrats on your new ride!!! Did you get a good deal on your MDX? I very much doubt that the MDX gets the same incentives as the RL though.

While at the dealer last month servicing my car, I hopped in a MDX. It handled well for an SUV, but I thought its interior has a bit much plastic, and is not as plush and luxurious as the RL ... perhaps just on par with the TL. Is the MDX nav better than the current RL and TL nav? What about the sound system? Please elaborate.

BTW, why isn't MDX included in acurazine?
Old 06-23-2007, 08:38 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Congrats Mike! If I ever replace the Land Cruiser with anything but another Land Cruiser, then it would be the MDX.

While I've been somewhat critical of the LC at times compared to the RL, it's really a solid vehicle. I toyed with the idea of swapping out the LC for an MDX, and when I floated it by my wife, she didn't go for it.

She loves her truck. It's really a true SUV and she feels so safe driving it. Who wouldn't? Almost 3 tons of metal that was designed for driving through the deserts of the Mid-East.

That said, the MDX is different. It truly adds the Sport in SUV. I drove one for a couple days, and it does feel like a taller RL. I could definitely see one in our future.

Congrats again and good luck, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Instructor

Congratulations Mike :-)

have you guys considered Range Rover v/s MDX in your buying decisions?
Old 06-23-2007, 12:01 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by calvin_hobbes
Congratulations Mike :-)

have you guys considered Range Rover v/s MDX in your buying decisions?
I have heard many bad things about Range Rovers. There was even a thread in car talk about someone wanting to buy one but most people in there said they arent good cars. Plus the resale on them is horrible.

Anyway though congrats on the new MDX. Those are awesome looking cars and like its been said its a lot like the RL so if you like that you should like the new MDX. There is a reason its one of the best selling SUVs in its class.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:55 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Thanks, guys ... been away all day driving the MDX to my brother's place in East Texas - about 100 miles each way. BTW, it makes a great road "car". It is nice and stable at speed (I only took it to 90 ), and it tracks like the RL - straight and true. Roomy inside, and has all the nice features (except there's a dude talking back when I press the phone call button. I'll have to see if I can find the chick - I like her better).

For those curious about gas mileage (like I was), I had only 80 miles on the odo when I left, but it seemed to be steadily returning about 23.6 mpg at 70-75 mph. If it's like my other Acuras, that will improve a little as the engine beds in.

Power-wise, it feels a lot like the RL, except not quite as much grunt. Interestingly, though, the extra torque of the 3.7 engine makes it feel pretty sprightly ... you can jump away from a light ahead of most of the crowd when you want to, and that 4500 lb. behemoth will spin up to 90 on the highway before you know it.

The ride is MUCH better than the TL, and it approaches the RL in overall ride compliance. And it is also MUCH quieter inside than the TL. No tire roar, no exhaust drone. Very serene.

And the Nav is quick! I'd say it calculates routes and does searches close to twice as fast as the RL (which means 3 times as fast as the TL ). Must have a quicker processor. And I have to admit I'm lovin' the navtraffic, after being critical of it at first.

Oh, and kenny5, I have to disagree about the interior comparison with the TL ... I think it's a lot nicer inside than the TL. True, the charcoal-colored "wood" is plood, but it's convincing enough that no one is going to question it. I just wish it were a regular wood color myself. (My wife, however, likes it. Go figure.) Overall, though it has a plush feel, whereas the TL struck me as kind of stern and "hard" ... lots of metallic and hard plastic surfaces.

The sound system is good ol' ELS, which I prefer to the Bose in my RL. It's 410 watts, I think, and it just has a fuller, more natural sound than the Bose - especially at lower volume levels. Nice controls for all the sound elements, including subwoofer. It's very much like the TL's system, and it's nicely tailored to the MDX's interior space.

As for the deal, there is only about a $4,000 markup over invoice, and no factory money at this time. Of course, you never really know what you paid vs. what you got for your trade, since they play with those numbers, but I figure I got within probably $500-700 of invoice and got an Edmunds trade-in price for my TL (which is to say generous). I also got a free 1GB iPod Shuffle. Anyone know to use this thing?

Oops ... sorry to turn this into an MDX thread! Thanks, Bob.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Congrats on the 'X. I tried, but failed to convince my wife to pull the trigger on that instead of the Pilot. Oh well, that's life!