Car-buying factors changing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 10:12 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Question Car-buying factors changing?

I'm in a quandary of sorts. My TL - which I was already a little dissatisfied with - got badly damaged by hail, and now that it's out of the shop I'm almost ready to trade it for something else.

Okay, just a few short years ago my priorities were good looks and a quick 0-60 time. But now I find myself with these changed priorities:

- good looks,
- quick 0-60 time,
- quiet cabin
- good ride (I'm "over" sport suspensions)
- good handling
- excellent navigation system
- Bluetooth and voice recognition

So am I getting more sophisticated, or has Acura (and to some extent, Infiniti) just spoiled me? LOL.

See, I can get a Mercedes at employee pricing, and a nice E350 or 500, or maybe even an ML-class, would make a great ride. But after Acura's nav system, I find the M-B nav to be dismal. No, worse than dismal. And believe it or not, I'm actually ruling out those otherwise excellent cars just on that count. I won't consider a Bimmer again, either, for the same reason ... crummy technology implementation.

I'm thinking the only other real option I have is an Infiniti G35. It's nice-looking, quick, and has (IMO) the 2nd-best nav system in the business, marred primarily by that cursed, stupid, in-motion lockout. I have had an M45, and I think I can live with the lockout again, although I'd rather not.

I already have an RL, so I don't want another one, and I'm not terribly excited about driving an SUV day in and day out, so the MDX isn't really calling out to me.

Funny thing is, I think I'm so hung up on the nav system that it's driving my decision process. Do these car companies realize how big a factor technology has become? Apparently M-B and BMW haven't!

I'm not asking anyone to make my decision for me, but I am wondering how many of you have also changed your buying priorities since owning your RL? How big a factor is a given car's technology in your decision these days? How about luxury?

Old 06-02-2007, 10:46 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I have a CLS coupe, had Legend coupes before. One of my main reasons for staying with Acura is reliability. BMW may have the best skidpad times, or best 0-60 for another brand, whatever; but when it comes down to real life ownership I do not want to spend 1 second worrying if something's gonna break and then be dealing with dealers and repairs, free or not. And the higher prices for Euro lux cars would make me demand even more reliability than an Acura has, and that ain't happenin'.

Plus the Jp electronics are always a few gens ahead of the Euros IMO.

No, I don't have an RL, but maybe in the near future, and same applies.
RL yes, for the reliability, tech, some lux, safety, and price.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:05 AM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I'm not asking anyone to make my decision for me, but I am wondering how many of you have also changed your buying priorities since owning your RL? How big a factor is a given car's technology in your decision these days? How about luxury?
Long ago and far away, I had a 1988 Saab 9000 turbo. Wonderful car, and it came with heated seats. I vowed after that I'd never consider owning a car without seat heaters.

Numerous cars followed -- all with heated seats!

In 2003, I bought a Honda Accord Coupe with V6/Nav (and heated seats....) The navigation system was a neat toy I thought I'd get on a whim, since I was "economizing" buying the Accord (getting out of a Saab 9-5 lease) I figured I'd just get one totally loaded.

After driving that car I vowed I would never again drive a car without a navi system.

When I bought my 2005 RL, I looked at all the competition. The Nav system was the deciding factor, hands down. Nobody else out there had a nav system as good as the one in my Honda coupe at that time... and yet the RL's was better. It was clearly superior in every way to everyone else's system, and the voice control was simply astounding. And the nav traffic put me over the top -- even though it turned out to be pretty useless.

When I got out of my '05 because of the problems with it, I had the option of going into something else. I didn't -- I went right back to an '06 RL, because of the nav system, and this time I got a backup camera too - -and decided that I needed one of THOSE on all my cars in the future.

If I had to buy a car today, I really don't know which way I'd go. I'm with you, Mike, I hate SUV's purely for their fat-assed driving dynamics. The Mercedes electronics are embarrassingly bad -- it's ridiculous to think about pulling off the road and futzing with a little JOYSTICK to set a destination, after just hitting a button on the wheel and telling the car where to go.

For a second car, I'd probably think about buying a car without factory nav, and then getting a good aftermarket nav system... although I don't know if I could deal with a Garmin Nuvi or TomTom after the RL's system, either.

OK, I've been of no help to you at all. But I agree that the nav system is probably, for me, the single biggest factor after 4 wheels and 4 doors.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:17 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would have to agree -- Acura RL all the way. I was just in the market for a new vehicle looking to trade my '05 TL. Looked at all the options (Lexus, BMW, MB, Audi, etc.) and the RL won hands down. Wish the RL had a little more initial kick (0-60), but I was looking for more of a performance-luxury feel and a few more toys (Nav, backup camera) which were the deciding factors. I can get more of a performance feel when I want by using the paddle shifters.

There were only two close contenders. The Audi A6 was too expensive with similar options. I had one before and that's when I grew to love AWD. The G35 is looking better with recent body adjustments but everyone has one around here, and I wanted something unique.

Good luck is your search! It will be hard to beat Acura.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:22 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by jftjr
The Mercedes electronics are embarrassingly bad -- it's ridiculous to think about pulling off the road and futzing with a little JOYSTICK to set a destination, after just hitting a button on the wheel and telling the car where to go.
You know I never really put that much thought into it, but you're right. I've become so spoiled that I'd be pretty annoyed if I had to deal with that.

I'm already pretty annoyed that the voice control in our Toyota SUCKS. Actually its worse than that. It's non-existant. Everytime I get in it, I'm annoyed by that the BT isn't voice activated and that I have to input a navi hack so that I can use it while it's moving (well thank God there's at least a hack),
Old 06-03-2007, 09:57 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by jbtcole
I would have to agree -- Acura RL all the way. I was just in the market for a new vehicle looking to trade my '05 TL. Looked at all the options (Lexus, BMW, MB, Audi, etc.) and the RL won hands down. Wish the RL had a little more initial kick (0-60), but I was looking for more of a performance-luxury feel and a few more toys (Nav, backup camera) which were the deciding factors. I can get more of a performance feel when I want by using the paddle shifters.

There were only two close contenders. The Audi A6 was too expensive with similar options. I had one before and that's when I grew to love AWD. The G35 is looking better with recent body adjustments but everyone has one around here, and I wanted something unique.

Good luck is your search! It will be hard to beat Acura.

Ditto.

And I had the same priorities as Mike listed. I too am 'over' the sport suspensions, especially when it upsets the TLs cabin to make it sound like it was coming apart on all but the smoothests roads. It very much dilluted my perception of the TL as a premium automobile. I would add assembly quality of the RL over the TL was also a major lure. I am very pleased and it has affirmed my gripes on the TL assembly.

The RLs Navi is tough to beat. I thought I would miss the touch sreen of the TL. I missed it for about 15 mins. Aside from better, more extensive Voice Recognition in the RL, I personally find the interface knob a breeze to operate. In retrospect trying to point and touch the TLs screen was difficult when driving...especially typing on the keyboard. I would always miss the letter I was aiming for. And the joystick? A joke when the car is jiggling to and fro while driving. Was it faster, more athletic? Yepper. Did I need that for everyday driving? Nope. Does the RL address my spirited dirving needs when desired? Indeed.

The A6, GS and 5 series were on my short list. The RL was a clear winner for me. I have no regrets. It is a good thing too...Acura almost lost a repeat buyer.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Expectations rather than priorities

Hi Mike,

I gave your post a great deal of consideration since I still haven’t replaced the RL with an 07, but also nothing seems to fit my expectations of what transportation should be and then it hit me, I have certain “expectations” of what I will and will not accept. I have always liked Honda/Acura because it just fit me. The ergonomics and the economics were what I expected of a car. I have Chevys because they are reliable for most of my driving needs, but they don’t fit my expectations and I buy them knowing they will not fit what I expect, they just suffice.

So my thought is that nothing you look at fills the expectations of what you believe you should be driving as well as the RL. Yes, there are short comings, but not enough for you to say brand XY car has neough over the RL that i would consider it to replace the TL

You “expect” the navigation and stereo and creature comforts to be of a certain level and since nothing on the market meets your expectations better than the RL, you are comfortable with that choice.

In years past I had expectations that what ever I purchased would give me a sporty ride or handle the mountain passes so that driving was a challenge, or an exhilaration and that getting from point A to point B was more of an adventure. Now I want to get from A to B in relative comfort and safety without having to deal with the kids who wear their baseball caps in the car or have the woofers so loud I feel my teeth rattle or slam on my brakes do avoid an accident because the person that just “has” to pass me can’t wait for a passing zone.

I’m not certain that your “priorities” have changed so much as your expectations. For example the jerk that drove over your bumper with their truck in the parking lot. You have a certain expectation that there is a certain amount of respect that drivers should show one another and parking so that you get your bumper crunched violates that expectation.

I couldn’t buy the MDX because it didn’t meet my expectations of what an “Acura” SUV should be. Yes, it is marginally better than a Chevy/Ford/Dodge, but it isn’t what I have come to expect from Acura. I haven’t bought another RL because I want CMBS, but have no want for PAX and not really convinced that laser cruise control will be worth the added expense.

So, not to be so brash and bold as to tell you what is going on in your brain (We’ll let Bob work on that one) , I believe that your expectations have not yet been met by anything else.

Just an old farts
Old 06-03-2007, 11:24 PM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

If you want bells & whistles & fast conider IS 359 but it is too small for me STS also gives you all the bells & whistles. New C Class also looks pretty good.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:00 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I notice that you haven't mentioned Lexus... How about the IS350 or GS350? Still have the motion lockout on the Nav...but the touchscreen is nice, the HP is up over 300 and the 07 Nav is MUCH better than their 06 Nav. I guess it's a matter of getting past the tiny trunk and lack of headroom. But looking at your list... they've got the looks and 0-60 times
Old 06-04-2007, 09:21 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by NavyDoc333
I notice that you haven't mentioned Lexus... How about the IS350 or GS350? Still have the motion lockout on the Nav...but the touchscreen is nice, the HP is up over 300 and the 07 Nav is MUCH better than their 06 Nav. I guess it's a matter of getting past the tiny trunk and lack of headroom. But looking at your list... they've got the looks and 0-60 times
Well, I've already tried the IS350 ... had it for all of 3 months before I sold it.

You're right, it IS too small. But more than that, it has a ride that will pound your teeth to chalk dust. And I didn't have the Sport Pkg., either. The only way I could handle the ride was to run the tires down to 28psi, but then the TPMS would sound off every time there was a cool morning and the pressure relaxed a little (not to mention that put the rims about a half-inch above the pavement).

True, it's fast as snot, and the navi wasn't bad because the '06s could still be activated by way of the touchscreen hack. But no one could get in the back seat, and when I tried to reach out the window to use an ATM or toss coins at a toll booth I'd bump my head against the top edge of the door frame (which was about 3/4 inch away at all times ).

So, it's a cool car for young kids, but I couldn't handle it. I ate a few thousand bucks dumping it, but it was still a good move.

GS is nice, but also kinda tight on space and the price tag is out of line IMO.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:41 AM
office monkey

My priorities have changed over time despite me being only 28. I used to be all into quickness and that jazz but now I prefer an overall package and mainly luxury. 0-60 runs do not ever happen when I am driving so I see no big deal over them like before. It is more a stat to slap onto the end of my penis.

Don't get me wrong, I like quick cars but I wouldn't make that a key factor. The RL is quick enough for every single drive I have ever done in it so something way quicker doesn't add anything except bragging rights.

Handling is more important to me than acceleration but even then I am not as big into it as I used to be because it isn't like I am whipping around wide open twisties or tacking my car so I don't need top handling. The RL (especially with the new summer performance tires I have) has as good enough handling as I could ever really need so anything more is not essential.

I simply have matured over the years and know that the comfort inside and junk is the key.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:00 AM
AcurAdmirer

Of course, one of the main factors in all this is that there is so much more available to us in cars these days. When I started driving in the 60's, the main considerations were a radio (AM only, of course) and a heater. Oh, yeah, and if it ran most of the time it was a bonus.

But since there is so much more content available nowadays, we're able to be more discriminating. Even so, there are lots of people who still look at a car as a transportation device, and who couldn't care less about the things I like ... much less the things I consider necessary in a good car.

I still find it interesting, though, that I'm absolutely requiring certain things in a car these days, or it drops out of the competition!

Old 06-04-2007, 10:30 AM
Racer

Mike, I can disable the 'lock out' thing on Infiniti's. When I made that hack on my wife's M, it changed the whole car. My daughter loves watching movies on it too... not sure if the G35 does that part though.

Isn't the G37 around the corner?
Old 06-04-2007, 01:45 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by Scott in Houston
Mike, I can disable the 'lock out' thing on Infiniti's. When I made that hack on my wife's M, it changed the whole car. My daughter loves watching movies on it too... not sure if the G35 does that part though.

Isn't the G37 around the corner?
Hmmm ... are you talking about the hack where you cut the VSS wire and install a switch? I did that on my M45 and it didn't work well. The navi lost positioning if I had it "off" for more than a few seconds, and I had to come to a stop again for it to ever catch up. Tried it on a long trip and it was almost totally useless.

If you have another solution to the Infiniti lockout, PM me - I'd LOVE to know about it!

Yes, the G37 is ccming soon, but I have zero desire for a small coupe.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:54 PM
Racer

Oh, I thought the G37 was going to be both the coupe and sedan.

As for the hack, yes, that's it. It works great for me. If you're turning it 'on' and doing your settings, then turn it 'off' and your position is lost, it can reset itself if you slow to 45 mph. You don't have to stop completely.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:24 PM
AcurAdmirer

Oh, I thought the G37 was going to be both the coupe and sedan.

As for the hack, yes, that's it. It works great for me. If you're turning it 'on' and doing your settings, then turn it 'off' and your position is lost, it can reset itself if you slow to 45 mph. You don't have to stop completely.
Okay. You may remember my reports at FA about that ... on my trip the position cursor got "lost" while I was out west on the interstate and I drove for over an hour with it showing the car 3 or 4 miles south, plowing through rivers and mountains. LOL.

When I stopped for gas and restarted the car, it found itself. Also tried to adjust the clock for a time zone change once and it froze. Even stopping wouldn't cure it, and I had to shut off the car and restart it to get it to reboot. It has a lot to do with how fast you're going when you switch the hack on and off ... the faster you're moving, the more it gets lost. Around town, no problem, but out on the highway at 80, it's a mess.

Appreciate the thought, though!

Old 06-04-2007, 02:31 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by Benush

I couldn’t buy the MDX because it didn’t meet my expectations of what an “Acura” SUV should be. Yes, it is marginally better than a Chevy/Ford/Dodge, but it isn’t what I have come to expect from Acura.
Hey, Ben. Out of curiosity, what exactly did you not like about the MDX?

If I could make peace with the idea of an SUV, it looks pretty darn good ... SH-AWD, 300hp 3.7 liter engine, great dash and instruments (except for that black wood), excellent interior, lots of bells and whistles (and of course, that wonderful Acura Navi!).

Haven't had a chance to drive one yet, but I think I might. But I'd be interested in what you found lacking in it (?)

Old 06-04-2007, 02:36 PM

If I could make peace with the idea of an SUV, it looks pretty darn good ... SH-AWD, 300hp 3.7 liter engine, great dash and instruments (except for that black wood), excellent interior, lots of bells and whistles (and of course, that wonderful Acura Navi!).

Haven't had a chance to drive one yet, but I think I might. But I'd be interested in what you found lacking in it (?)

I drove one and I feel the MDX is everything typical SUVs are not. Plenty of sport, and doesn't handle like a pig. It also has plenty of utility with respect to decent cargo and towing capabilities.

I viewed it as a taller RL.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:59 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by GoHawks
I drove one and I feel the MDX is everything typical SUVs are not. Plenty of sport, and doesn't handle like a pig. It also has plenty of utility with respect to decent cargo and towing capabilities.

I viewed it as a taller RL.
That's kinda been my impression. And I note Car & Driver (?) tested it and got a 7.0 sec. 0-60, which is not really noticeably slower than the RL. So I'd expect it to get up a freeway onramp with no trouble.

Peeked in the windows of some last night and they look pretty nice!

Old 06-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
That's kinda been my impression. And I note Car & Driver (?) tested it and got a 7.0 sec. 0-60, which is not really noticeably slower than the RL. So I'd expect it to get up a freeway onramp with no trouble.

Peeked in the windows of some last night and they look pretty nice!

I had an 07 MDX Sport w/Navi as a loaner recently. It felt like an RL in crossover form. Drove completely different than my wife's 06 MDX - much crisper handling and more carlike. I really liked it.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:58 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by dwboston
I had an 07 MDX Sport w/Navi as a loaner recently. It felt like an RL in crossover form. Drove completely different than my wife's 06 MDX - much crisper handling and more carlike. I really liked it.
Interesting. I'm gonna have to go drive one, I guess.

AZ doesn't appear to have an MDX forum ... anyone know of another one?

Old 06-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
This gets into "what would I buy if I could do it all over again today"?

The new G35, which wasn't available when I bought my RL, leaps to mind. It seems like a good size, and is both luxurious and sporting. And the IS250 might be a choice (rather than the harsher IS350). The cars I considered when shopping for the RL (M35, GS300) probably wouldn't be in contention today.

If you can hold out, there's the new C-Class Mercedes, and a new Cadillac CTS on the way.

Still, I'd be hard-pressed not to look at an RL again, or a TL (though that is what you're potentially getting rid of).

In some ways, the TL offers a lot of what you're looking for. It isn't the car's fault that it got pinged by hail. Maybe it deserves another chance (or a full orbital buffing when the paint cures).

Rob144
Old 06-04-2007, 04:40 PM

Interesting. I'm gonna have to go drive one, I guess.

AZ doesn't appear to have an MDX forum ... anyone know of another one?

http://www.acuramdx.org/
Old 06-04-2007, 05:47 PM
Instructor

Hey Mike.

it was actually a whole lot of little things. The seats didn't get comfortable until I got to the perforated leather. Until then they seemed less supportive and stiff.

When driving it in the non-sport mode, It was like a 10 year old SUV with wishwashy springs and shocks.

I can't say exactly what it was about the voice commands, but it seemed like the unit was less responsive and often took two or three times for it to get it right.

I really really expected more get up and go from the engine. A friends 2000 V6 Blazer seemed to have more umph. Out on the open road it was quick, but the gearing around town left me wanting to get out and push. Stop and go 5 oclock traffic was frustrating (I tested it in Seattle traffic to give it a real work out). I remember the discussion about the difference between the TL and RL in acceleration and the MDX seemed to react just the opposite of how I wanted it to.

For as much glass as the MDX has, it seemed like the blind spots were in too critical a position, especially when changing lanes back to the right.

It was noisier than I expected. Not as noisy as the Honda Pilot, but close.

Though I "did" sit at a nice high position, the driver's seat never gave me the support of the RL. And the base model MDX had seats that were way to firm without being supportive for this old body. My left leg went numb after about 10 minutes.

I drove the base model through the Sport/Entertainment model and each was different in how they rode, handled and responded.

The ONLY one that was even remotely acceptable was the Sport/Entertainment and it had to be in Sport handling mode all the time to feel like I was in an Acura.

I didn't get a chance to throughly play with the SH-AWD but I would swear that it was completely different than the one in the RL. I guess i would have to say that it reacted slower. I felt MUCH more confident in the vehicles abilities in the RL than in the MDX. I do understand that they are two distinctly different vehicles for two different purposes, but i NEVER felt comfortable in the MDX's ability to perform in any handling situation other than dry pavement going in a straight line and forget Montana in the winter!

I could not find a driving position that I like in the MDX. In the RL I spent about 2 minutes finding my perfect driving position with minor changes between around town and 900 miles on the interstate. In two days i could not find anything nearly as comfortable in the MDX.

Now I will grant you that the loaded MDX was far superior to my 8 year old Tahoe with 165,000 miles, but after driving a new Pilot, I felt that Acura built a slight step up from the Pilot and nothing more.

Another minor thing that really bothered me was that the fit and finish on the MDX was more like a Honda than an Acura and the difference between the RL and MDX is night and day.

The best i can sum up is that the RL feels comfortable and capable and I feel like I have a been enveloped in sophistication and competence where as the MDX feels like it was a pair of shoes designed for someone else. Every Honda and Acura I've ever been in felt like someone had measured me and built a vehicle that I could just get in and drive until the 07 MDX. If I had driven only one MDX I would chalk it up to a lemon, but I drove 4 different models over 2 days time and could not convince myself that I should buy one and I REALLY wanted to.

I know that they (the MDXs) are selling well and so I cannot figure out why I don't like them, but my best analogy is that the RL feels like a custom tailored suit from a top end shop and the MDX feels like a $40 sport coat from the bargain rack on sale for $19.99.

I'm sorry that I can't be more definitive than that, but MDX just doesn't fit my expectations of an Acura.

I did send Vik a PM with my impressions of the MDX and if he still has a copy of it you might ask him to send a copy. I think it has more "concrete" thoughts since it was shortly after driving the MDX that I sent it to him.

I hope that helps,

Ben
Old 06-04-2007, 08:46 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by Benush
Hey Mike.

it was actually a whole lot of little things. The seats didn't get comfortable until I got to the perforated leather. Until then they seemed less supportive and stiff.

When driving it in the non-sport mode, It was like a 10 year old SUV with wishwashy springs and shocks.

I can't say exactly what it was about the voice commands, but it seemed like the unit was less responsive and often took two or three times for it to get it right.

I really really expected more get up and go from the engine. A friends 2000 V6 Blazer seemed to have more umph. Out on the open road it was quick, but the gearing around town left me wanting to get out and push. Stop and go 5 oclock traffic was frustrating (I tested it in Seattle traffic to give it a real work out). I remember the discussion about the difference between the TL and RL in acceleration and the MDX seemed to react just the opposite of how I wanted it to.

For as much glass as the MDX has, it seemed like the blind spots were in too critical a position, especially when changing lanes back to the right.

It was noisier than I expected. Not as noisy as the Honda Pilot, but close.

Though I "did" sit at a nice high position, the driver's seat never gave me the support of the RL. And the base model MDX had seats that were way to firm without being supportive for this old body. My left leg went numb after about 10 minutes.

I drove the base model through the Sport/Entertainment model and each was different in how they rode, handled and responded.

The ONLY one that was even remotely acceptable was the Sport/Entertainment and it had to be in Sport handling mode all the time to feel like I was in an Acura.

I didn't get a chance to throughly play with the SH-AWD but I would swear that it was completely different than the one in the RL. I guess i would have to say that it reacted slower. I felt MUCH more confident in the vehicles abilities in the RL than in the MDX. I do understand that they are two distinctly different vehicles for two different purposes, but i NEVER felt comfortable in the MDX's ability to perform in any handling situation other than dry pavement going in a straight line and forget Montana in the winter!

I could not find a driving position that I like in the MDX. In the RL I spent about 2 minutes finding my perfect driving position with minor changes between around town and 900 miles on the interstate. In two days i could not find anything nearly as comfortable in the MDX.

Now I will grant you that the loaded MDX was far superior to my 8 year old Tahoe with 165,000 miles, but after driving a new Pilot, I felt that Acura built a slight step up from the Pilot and nothing more.

Another minor thing that really bothered me was that the fit and finish on the MDX was more like a Honda than an Acura and the difference between the RL and MDX is night and day.

The best i can sum up is that the RL feels comfortable and capable and I feel like I have a been enveloped in sophistication and competence where as the MDX feels like it was a pair of shoes designed for someone else. Every Honda and Acura I've ever been in felt like someone had measured me and built a vehicle that I could just get in and drive until the 07 MDX. If I had driven only one MDX I would chalk it up to a lemon, but I drove 4 different models over 2 days time and could not convince myself that I should buy one and I REALLY wanted to.

I know that they (the MDXs) are selling well and so I cannot figure out why I don't like them, but my best analogy is that the RL feels like a custom tailored suit from a top end shop and the MDX feels like a $40 sport coat from the bargain rack on sale for $19.99.

I'm sorry that I can't be more definitive than that, but MDX just doesn't fit my expectations of an Acura.

I did send Vik a PM with my impressions of the MDX and if he still has a copy of it you might ask him to send a copy. I think it has more "concrete" thoughts since it was shortly after driving the MDX that I sent it to him.

I hope that helps,

Ben
Ben, that's a very comprehensive answer, and I appreciate it.

And I think I DO know what you're saying, since I kinda feel that way about my TL. It has just never lived up to my expectations of it, and like you say, it's like a pair of shoes that don't fit right.

Funny thing, though ... one of the car mags tested a Sport model and said they wouldn't recommend driving it in the "Sport" mode! They said it delivered a good ride in non-Sport (Luxury?) mode, but the Sport setting was too harsh. Go figure.

Anyway, that's very helpful info. I'll try to drive one this week if I can work it in, and I'll look for those things you mentioned.

Thanks again.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:52 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by Rob144
This gets into "what would I buy if I could do it all over again today"?

The new G35, which wasn't available when I bought my RL, leaps to mind. It seems like a good size, and is both luxurious and sporting. And the IS250 might be a choice (rather than the harsher IS350). The cars I considered when shopping for the RL (M35, GS300) probably wouldn't be in contention today.

If you can hold out, there's the new C-Class Mercedes, and a new Cadillac CTS on the way.

Still, I'd be hard-pressed not to look at an RL again, or a TL (though that is what you're potentially getting rid of).

In some ways, the TL offers a lot of what you're looking for. It isn't the car's fault that it got pinged by hail. Maybe it deserves another chance (or a full orbital buffing when the paint cures).

Rob144
Thanks, Rob. Actually, I've been looking at the upcoming C-class with some interest, although I'm afraid it's going to be too smallish (even though larger than the current one). And it also has that dreadful Mercedes navi. Ugh. But my buddy at M-B says they'll have one to drive in July and I may hold out long enough to try one.

CTS? I don't think so.

As far as the TL is concerned, it's not just the hail. They fixed that pretty doggone well, in fact. I just haven't been happy with it for a long time. It's just too truckish and coarse for me. IOW, I guess I'm just not in the TL demographic.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:52 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by GoHawks
Thanks!

Old 06-04-2007, 10:02 PM

Ben, that's a very comprehensive answer, and I appreciate it.

And I think I DO know what you're saying, since I kinda feel that way about my TL. It has just never lived up to my expectations of it, and like you say, it's like a pair of shoes that don't fit right.

Funny thing, though ... one of the car mags tested a Sport model and said they wouldn't recommend driving it in the "Sport" mode! They said it delivered a good ride in non-Sport (Luxury?) mode, but the Sport setting was too harsh. Go figure.

Anyway, that's very helpful info. I'll try to drive one this week if I can work it in, and I'll look for those things you mentioned.

Thanks again.

I drove the non-sport model for two days, and I had none of the issues mentioned. I do agree that it felt no faster than the RL, even with the extra ten horses. Steering was a little firmer than the RL. Aside from that, I really liked it. Especially when I compare the driving dynamics to a typical body-on-frame SUV like my Land Cruiser. Enough so that if I would SERIOUSLY consider it if I was shopping for another SUV.

As a matter of fact, I have seriously thought about it. I think the MDX would be much more fun to drive than the LC. THe LC is a legendary off-road vehicle, but let's face it, how many people are going to take a $60K SUV off-road?

The only concern I would have is towing my boat. My boat has a "dry" weight of 3,500 lbs. Now add in a trailer, other equipment and any fuel and you're quickly pushing the 5,000 lb limit of the MDX. My Land Cruiser is rated at 6,500 lbs. The MDX might do for the once a year I bring the boat home and back in the spring to get it cleaned up for the season, but I'd be concerned towing it for any long vacation like I did a couple years ago driving from the NW Chicago suburbs to Branson, MO and back.

It seems to have enough room to carry by sons hockey bags, and it definitely would be better on gas.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:16 AM
AcurAdmirer

I guess I'm still on-topic if I say I'm supposed to have a 2007 G35 as a rental tomorrow. I found out the Enterprise at the airport has a couple of them as "premium' rentals, so I have asked to have one for 24 hours.

They say they can't absolutely guarantee me one, though, so if I get there and they're gone it's no dice. Hopefully I'll get it, though, since I figure it's worth the 100 bucks rental to really wring one out on all kinds of roads and driving situations.

We're out of town next week, so I probably won't get to drive the MDX until we get back.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Racer

The rental won't have all the bells and whistles, but it's a good way to test it!
Old 06-05-2007, 12:54 PM
AcurAdmirer

The rental won't have all the bells and whistles, but it's a good way to test it!
Actually, they have some w/navi, and I've asked for one of those. Otherwise, enough stuff is standard that I should be able to tell how much I like it. I def don't want a Sport model, and I doubt the rentals would be Sports, so that should work, too.

You'll probably recall my cruise control issues with my M, Scott, and that's one of the main things I want to test on the G ...

Old 06-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Racer

Actually, they have some w/navi, and I've asked for one of those. Otherwise, enough stuff is standard that I should be able to tell how much I like it. I def don't want a Sport model, and I doubt the rentals would be Sports, so that should work, too.

You'll probably recall my cruise control issues with my M, Scott, and that's one of the main things I want to test on the G ...

Yeah. Good luck. I'll be anxious to hear your results.

My wife's M just had the cruise replaced and fixed. So far, all is well.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:48 PM
AcurAdmirer

Okay, just drove the MDX. On short notice I decided to get the oil changed in the TL, so I did a test drive while it was being serviced.

The one I drove was a non-Sport w/navi. First impression is that it is a very nice SUV. This one had about 35 miles on it, so it was new off the lot, not a demo. It is a tight, well-built vehicle ... not a rattle or buzz anywhere, and I really like the layout of the dash, center stack and instruments. Not crazy about the dark wood (looks like varnished charcoal), but I could live with it.

Seats are very supportive and comfy to me, and it wasn't hard to find a good driving position. Center stack looks a lot like the RL's, only a little more svelt. The controls would be a cinch, since it works basically just like the RL.

Cargo/passenger space is terrific, although getting into the 3rd row would require more flexibility than I like to exhibit. It's for grandkids anyway, so that's no problem.

Ride was supple and borderline exceptional for an SUV. Better than the Tahoes and Suburbans I've been in. It felt like a tallish car 90% of the time, and showed its size and height only in quick maneuvers (and even then not scary at all). I'd be happy to drive this thing on a long road trip.

I'm disappointed it doesn't have the RL's keyless setup. I've gotten spoiled to not having to fish a key out of my pocket, and the touch-to-unlock feature in the RL is the best in the business.

Engine performance was pretty good, considering the weight (4500+ lbs.). I'd say it was about maybe 85% as peppy as the RL. Maybe a little bit more. Which, for a big rig like that, is excellent. I had no trouble hopping onto a freeway and merging right in with 70mph traffic, and that's the acid test. In fact, the way it's set up, it feels pretty lively off the line, right up to normal driving speeds. It's only when you really hammer it that you find it a little "soft". We drove a Caddy SRX V-6 a couple of weeks ago, and the MDX would blow it completely into the weeds at all speeds.

All in all, it's a worthy vehicle. I'm just not sure I'm ready to drive an SUV day-to-day. But the wife is in the market for one (with 3rd row seating), so I can certainly recommend it to her!

Sorry for the mini road test review, but maybe someone else will find it interesting. I'll drive the G tomorrow (if they have it), and then I'll know more.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:53 PM
AcurAdmirer

My wife's M just had the cruise replaced and fixed. So far, all is well.
That caught my eye! What do you mean ... did hers actually "break", or is there some kind of Infiniti "fix" or revision out there?

Old 06-05-2007, 04:30 PM

Okay, just drove the MDX. On short notice I decided to get the oil changed in the TL, so I did a test drive while it was being serviced.

The one I drove was a non-Sport w/navi. First impression is that it is a very nice SUV. This one had about 35 miles on it, so it was new off the lot, not a demo. It is a tight, well-built vehicle ... not a rattle or buzz anywhere, and I really like the layout of the dash, center stack and instruments. Not crazy about the dark wood (looks like varnished charcoal), but I could live with it.

Seats are very supportive and comfy to me, and it wasn't hard to find a good driving position. Center stack looks a lot like the RL's, only a little more svelt. The controls would be a cinch, since it works basically just like the RL.

Cargo/passenger space is terrific, although getting into the 3rd row would require more flexibility than I like to exhibit. It's for grandkids anyway, so that's no problem.

Ride was supple and borderline exceptional for an SUV. Better than the Tahoes and Suburbans I've been in. It felt like a tallish car 90% of the time, and showed its size and height only in quick maneuvers (and even then not scary at all). I'd be happy to drive this thing on a long road trip.

I'm disappointed it doesn't have the RL's keyless setup. I've gotten spoiled to not having to fish a key out of my pocket, and the touch-to-unlock feature in the RL is the best in the business.

Engine performance was pretty good, considering the weight (4500+ lbs.). I'd say it was about maybe 85% as peppy as the RL. Maybe a little bit more. Which, for a big rig like that, is excellent. I had no trouble hopping onto a freeway and merging right in with 70mph traffic, and that's the acid test. In fact, the way it's set up, it feels pretty lively off the line, right up to normal driving speeds. It's only when you really hammer it that you find it a little "soft". We drove a Caddy SRX V-6 a couple of weeks ago, and the MDX would blow it completely into the weeds at all speeds.

All in all, it's a worthy vehicle. I'm just not sure I'm ready to drive an SUV day-to-day. But the wife is in the market for one (with 3rd row seating), so I can certainly recommend it to her!

Sorry for the mini road test review, but maybe someone else will find it interesting. I'll drive the G tomorrow (if they have it), and then I'll know more.

Your opinions are right on line with mine. There's nothing I would change (in the writeup).
Old 06-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Instructor

Hey Mike:

I'm glad that your experience was so much better than mine (and yours too GoHawks) I guess I never felt that the MDX was what I had come to expect from Acura. The four that I drove went from feeling like the same from a domestic supplier like (Chevy, Ford) to Honda Pilot like (the top end Acura I drove), but never seemed to justify the price difference for the quality and comfort. To be honest, I really wanted to like it because the design (especially exterior) did appeal to me and the idea of converting to a single vehicle was what I wanted. It could also be that I was so disappointed in the first 2 models I drove, that my bias carried over into the last two. I also believe that I was so spoiled by the RL, it would be difficult to see anything that could take it's place. So why haven't I just gone out and bought another RL? I decided to wait until the 08 comes out and what it might offer over the 07, If nothing really significant in my view, then the hunt will be on for an 07 (and maybe a fun road trip to go get it!!

Any way, congratulations on finding something that was enjoyable and fun.

Ben
Old 06-05-2007, 04:56 PM
Racer

That caught my eye! What do you mean ... did hers actually "break", or is there some kind of Infiniti "fix" or revision out there?

There was a recall/fix I believe. Lots of M's were having issues.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts

I just drove home in an MDX as I dropped off my RL for some minor leather work.

I could have written this, verbatim.

Although I still prefer my RL, the MDX impressed me more in it's similar ride than in materials. I felt it was a taller RL in ride and features. If I were to get that second vehicle, an SUV, this would be tough to beat.

Where it missed the mark was very superficial and more personal taste:

The styling in bold fore and aft, but boring slab sided.
I like the interior styling and general assembly was better than my TL, but not quite as good as the RL. Most materials were reminiscent of the RL, although the leather felt rubbery and the metallic look plastics felt too plasticky, especially on the steering wheel and shifter. The RL metallic plastics are more convincing. The featurers on the center stack are very similar, but not as easy for me to finger and poke at ergonomically as the RL. The RL allows me to rest my wrist on the shifter knob and reach the interface dial and buttons. The MDX has some buttons too low on the stack, blocked by the shifter. I did not like the color of the plood.

Ride was amazing for an SUV, substantial, but refined. No heaving, abrupt jarring or wallowing. For me...perfect for this type of vehicle. Steering was very good, as was braking, but the pedal was mushy and I found myself hitting the floor holding the brake at stop lights. The MDX brakes smoothly, very much like the RL with no drama. I liked the minimal nose dive that mosr SUVs exhibit. The MDX remined me of the Nissan Murano braking, which I am very impressed with. Pedal positions and dead pedal was not as good as the RL. Engine performance did make the RL feel more spirited and nimble. The throttle response on the MDX was slow and I had to use a heavy foot. Needless to say, the fuel economy was anything but economical...this would be my primary deterrent from owning an MDX.

Last, I have to say the MDX impresses me from the front seats forward. Front seats are comfortable (although RLs headrests are the best ever!) But open the rear doors or look in the rear cargo area, and nothing looks or feels premium. I could be anything but an Acura.

And now I apologise for the continued corrupion of this thread.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
I guess I'm still on-topic if I say I'm supposed to have a 2007 G35 as a rental tomorrow. I found out the Enterprise at the airport has a couple of them as "premium' rentals, so I have asked to have one for 24 hours.

They say they can't absolutely guarantee me one, though, so if I get there and they're gone it's no dice. Hopefully I'll get it, though, since I figure it's worth the 100 bucks rental to really wring one out on all kinds of roads and driving situations.

We're out of town next week, so I probably won't get to drive the MDX until we get back.

I had the opportunity to drive a new G35x loaner for a day. It was so new, the temp tags were still on it. It was a blast to drive. Engine was so responsive, handling was great and nice exhaust notes. Ride was surprisingly good for a sporty suspension. As much as liked it initially, I would not buy it. If you love the RL, I'm not sure you will like the G long term. It's smaller than a GS and after awhile I think I would long for more amenities and creature comforts. The G is like a less refined mini M. These are easy to like cars on first drive. My initial reaction was, I want one of these. Then I realize for the type of driving I typically do, I would only want it a couple days a week. I don't know, maybe that fits your needs.

Not like the RL that grows on you like a good pair of shoes. I think the RL is a much better all around car, but admittedly less fun.

As for the MDX, I have pretty much decided to buy a 08 Sport/Ent. It would take a major reversal to change that.

Good luck
Old 06-06-2007, 08:20 PM
AcurAdmirer

Well, I've obviously become hard to please.

I just drove an '07 G35 Journey all day, and I'm not totally impressed (and I really thought I might be). Among it's non-RL-ish traits:

- The G is very high-strung, somewhat like the earlier generation G. That is, the transmission is mapped for aggressive shifts, both up and down. That, combined with a pretty touchy throttle tip-in, makes driving it smoothly and quickly at the same time kinda difficult. Just when you want a little squirt of power to get ahead of that truck, it serves up a humongous downshift that makes the engine zoom way up the rpm scale and the car lunge forward. And the revs hang there for a few seconds, like the car has gone into neutral. Not at all creamy and smooth like the RL.

My initial reaction to this hormonal overreaction is to back off the throttle again, and it then goes back to normal. It's kind of like the car experiences an Incredible Hulk moment when all you want is maybe a little Rocky Balboa jab.

- The cabin noise level is a higher than I expected. the Goodyear RSA's aren't the quietest tires around in the first place, and Infiniti didn't see fit to add the little bit of extra sound blanket that would have taken care of tire noise. The RL can be noisy under certain conditions, too, but it's a lot quieter than the G. Thanks, ANC.

In addition, the exhaust note comes through as a droning sound at partial throttle (which is, unfortunately, where you often end up cruising on 70mph highway runs). Yes, I know lots of dudes think that's a cool sound ... wow, listen to that exhaust note! ... but to me it's the sound of a muffler with a hole in it, and it gives me a headache after an hour or two.

- I also found two related ergonomic flaws in the otherwise nicely-laid-out interior. The cupholder is right at the front end of the armrest, and its lid pivots backward to stand up vertically, parallel to the front face of the armrest. Okay so far. But the armrest itself is a little too short, so it just about caught my elbow instead of supporting my forearm like the RL's does. And because of that, your forearm now rests on the edge of the cupholder lid. So you have an elbow on the armrest and the cupholder digging into your forearm. I'd have to just take the lid off if I got one, since I use my cupholder daily.

- The interior, although 'way improved over the previous G, is still a little plasticky, especially on the door panels. And the "Washi paper" aluminum trim is just a horror IMO. I'd definitely have to have the wood trim, which would limit me to only a couple of interior colors. As we know, the RL's interior is a minor work of art.

- The first impression of the G isn't even the best ... when you release the handle after opeing the door, it sounds off with a hollow metallic thunk, unlike the more damped sound our RL's exhibit.

On the plus side:

- The engine is energetic, although it's pretty noisy and frantic-sounding when you punch it. I'd prefer some sound-deadening there, too. It doesn't feel as much like 306hp as the engine in my IS350 did, but it's a little bit heavier and it's not as refined an engine as the Lexus'.

- Ride was pretty good - I'd say somewhere between my TL and my RL. More nervous than the RL, but not objectionable. The car did bob around in the gusty winds we had today, though. And since the steering is already on the "lively" side, I found myself steering a lot.

- Overall mileage was pretty good - I had a total average of almost 23mpg, but to be fair, most of it was freeway or highway driving. I did do a number of WOT runs, too, though. Probably pretty close to the mileage I get with the RL.

- The car was TIGHT and rattle-free, which is saying a lot for a rental car with 10,000 miles on it. I was really pleased at how tight it was.

- The G is a good size car for me, even though the trunk is a little tight for luggage for a long trip. The RL's is also kinda smallish, but it's better shaped than for luggage the G's.

Overall, it's no RL. But it's also a lot less expensive, as my wife would quickly point out. I could get a comparably-equipped G for probably $10k less than an RL.

But it's also no TL. The G's ride is better, it's RWD, it has more hp, and it's a fresher design. The navi has its drawbacks, but all in all it's a nicer ride than the TL. So it's still on the list.

I'm not about to get rid of my RL, but the TL may be on the block. Trouble is, the day with the G didn't give me any concrete answers about what might replace it.

Quick Reply: Car-buying factors changing?