Buying 2007 rl

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 07:48 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying 2007 rl

Hi awesome RL owners it's my first post. I'm planning on buying a 2007 RL in pretty good condition with 73000 miles. The asking price is 16000 flat. I was wondering if I'm getting a good deal or should keep looking around. 3 tires and one tire pressure sensor needs to be replaced.

I hope I didn't break any rules with this post! I read the sticky...

Anyway thanks ahead of time for reading.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
That may actually be a little low, but we have been getting newcomers here rather frequently posting as low as $12k. I would still be willing to spend $23k on an '07 w/ 30k in perfect condition, so it all depends on the quality of the product. How are the interior/exterior and maintenance records?
Old 01-27-2012, 12:28 AM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
Maintenance records are lacking, but he did get a pre purchase inspection from an Acura dealer.

Alignment needs to be done.

Dealer found slight shimmy during high speed braking, said it was minor and didnt necessitate a replacement of the rotors, but he said that'd solve it.

The drivers side headlight does not initialize when you turn it on (i.e. doesnt do the sweep), but seems to turn otherwise with the wheel. Also, no codes or errors indicated by the MID.

other than that, differential fluid change needs to be done.

involved in a minor front end collision. rad support is slightly bent. matching VIN stickers visible on all other panels.

Interior not too bad, small tear in the arm rest. I guess clean for 70k some odd miles.

I helped doublex look at the car at the dealer. It seems pretty nice for the price, and inspection wise it doesnt seem to have a lot wrong with it.

Carfax came title clean but with one accident in 2009.

my TL had no service records at 52k miles. Got it inspected and I fixed the semi major things they found. I havent had a major failure yet after 14k or so miles *knock on wood*. No records isnt a deal breaker, but do your best to inspect the car before purchase.

Last edited by ez12a; 01-27-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
only the passenger side headlights swivel on start up. the driver side does not move.
The following users liked this post:
ez12a (01-27-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 05:46 AM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts
should test drive it to a mechanic you know and have them take a look at the area that had the collision and the car in general (assuming you're not a mechanic already haha)..I would look for other RL's with no accidents in the meantime..you never truly know the extent of the damages from it.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:07 AM
the overexplainer

Originally Posted by ichi d
only the passenger side headlights swivel on start up. the driver side does not move.
Weird, good to know. When we pointed it out to the service manager he wasnt too sure himself.

for clarification, i didnt do the inspection, i met with doublex at the dealer to look at it with him.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:39 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ichi d
On mine you can hear the driver side motor on start up. Or that is what it sounds like to me.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts
With those miles and the condition issues (and the lack of solid maintenance records) I would have an independent PPI from a knowledgeable Acura mechanic, at my own expense. You shold also be able to get records from the Acura files if past work was done at Acura (remember, maintenance codes can be cleared)

The shimmy may be brake deposits on the rotor from poor break in of new pads. No offense meant here, but it doesn't sound like either of you have deep knowledge of the car, it's history, or how it should really work. Get some expert advice--it's money well-spent!!

My 2007 is at 67,000+ and doesn't have any of those issues, plus I have full maintenance records with reciepts, so I wonder about the care taken with the car in the past.

Just sayin'. Good luck.

Oh, and I'm suspicious of dealers in general (and don't EVER accept a PPI from the guy seeling it to you--or a guy he recommended), and the price they are asking. Used sales is where they make some serious profit so be ruthless and walk if you don't get your price.

Last edited by DanL07RL; 02-04-2012 at 12:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DanL07RL:
ichi d (02-04-2012), Ken1997TL (02-04-2012)
Old 02-04-2012, 12:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Definitely get a second opinion.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Jdm.CL7
On mine you can hear the driver side motor on start up. Or that is what it sounds like to me.
Only the passenger side headlight swivels on startup. RTFM.
ichi d (02-04-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 07:19 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by ez12a
Weird, good to know. When we pointed it out to the service manager he wasnt too sure himself.
Exactly my point above--get adult help here! You won't regret it.
HEAVY_RL (02-05-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 10:57 AM
the overexplainer

btw deal has been made DoubleX has had the car for just over a week. No problems, minus a differential fluid change which we just did yesterday (6 service). The bolts were pretty hard to take off and took both myself and Doublex to remove, but we got fresh fluid up in there now.

The dealer where the inspection took place was chosen by us, Tustin DCH Acura. Inspection was fine. Yes, doublex is also familiarizing himself with the car by reading the manual. I dont know who would really sit and take the time to read the manual during a test drive and were therefore unaware that the RL does not move the drivers side. It moves during driving, as we've seen. Unfamiliar with the RL myself when I saw it first, I wrongly assumed it was like all the Lexus's and BMWs i've seen. You have to admit it's kind of odd and disconcerting to the uninitiated to see only one move.

also got it smogged yesterday to prepare for the title change. No problems there too. DoubleX received compliments on the car from the smog tech.

Let's hope for the best. He's more than happy with his purchase for the time being. We plan on taking some photos soon (OEM car photoshoot? hell yea.)

Last edited by ez12a; 02-05-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ez12a
btw deal has been made DoubleX has had the car for just over a week. No problems, minus a differential fluid change which we just did yesterday (6 service). The bolts were pretty hard to take off and took both myself and Doublex to remove, but we got fresh fluid up in there now.

The dealer where the inspection took place was chosen by us, Tustin DCH Acura. Inspection was fine. Yes, doublex is also familiarizing himself with the car by reading the manual. I dont know who would really sit and take the time to read the manual during a test drive and were therefore unaware that the RL does not move the drivers side. It moves during driving, as we've seen. Unfamiliar with the RL myself when I saw it first, I wrongly assumed it was like all the Lexus's and BMWs i've seen. You have to admit it's kind of odd and disconcerting to the uninitiated to see only one move.

also got it smogged yesterday to prepare for the title change. No problems there too. DoubleX received compliments on the car from the smog tech.

Let's hope for the best. He's more than happy with his purchase for the time being. We plan on taking some photos soon (OEM car photoshoot? hell yea.)
No one is suggesting that he sat there and read the whole manual. What isn't out of the question however, is doing a little research on one's own before buying a car. That way you know if something is a problem or not. The answer, in this case, is plain as day in the RL owner's manual.

Not to generalize, but some folks want answers handed to them when, if they applied themselves, the information is readily available to them. The best way to learn about the car is to read the manual and all the information stickied at the top of the forum.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:36 PM
the overexplainer

Originally Posted by DanL07RL
With those miles and the condition issues (and the lack of solid maintenance records) I would have an independent PPI from a knowledgeable Acura mechanic, at my own expense. You shold also be able to get records from the Acura files if past work was done at Acura (remember, maintenance codes can be cleared)

The shimmy may be brake deposits on the rotor from poor break in of new pads. No offense meant here, but it doesn't sound like either of you have deep knowledge of the car, it's history, or how it should really work. Get some expert advice--it's money well-spent!!

My 2007 is at 67,000+ and doesn't have any of those issues, plus I have full maintenance records with reciepts, so I wonder about the care taken with the car in the past.
I will admit, we do not have a compkete service history of the car. We did what we could ti inspect it and have an inspection performed on the car.

I will disagree that this is not a deal killer, just know that the car may not be problem free and wilk need some work. That said my TL that had really no records at all has beem fine for the 16k miles ive owned it.

Rotors will be replaced. Some gouging that i doubt turning would resolve.

Apologize for the spelling..on my galaxy nex that doesnt spellcheck in this post for whatever reason
Old 02-23-2012, 12:52 AM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
16k is not too bad but 14k or 15k is better because of the 73k...I bought a 2002 RL with 72k for 9,600 last month...I thought it was a decent deal...good luck
JD TL-S (03-08-2012)
Old 02-24-2012, 02:31 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Been away from this site for a while...just saw this thread.If it is any help, i bought my 07 RL tech black/black back in sept. for 18.9K with 82k miles.The car has A-spec wheels w/ new Michellins Pilot sport A/S.Perfect in and out,no dents,scratches,tears in leather,etc.Imaculate Carfax,maint. dead on time,no accidents,one owner.Drives like a dream,very happy with my purchase.Bought it from a MINI/BMW dealer,so no prior Acura inspection was made,took some risk there.The car was owned by a lady that took great care of it and traded in for a bimmer.For a over 5 years old car i think the milleage was right,plus i dont drive my cars much(small town,company car)so the milleage will actualy level or go under the age of the car.I enjoy mine,enjoy yours!