BMW X5 4.4I or ACURA RL 3.5

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 05:07 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
BMW X5 4.4I or ACURA RL 3.5

Hello Guys I am trying to decide whether to buy a 2006 BMW X5 4.4I with 24,000 miles for $28,000 315 hp or a 2006 Acura RL Non Tech 30,000 miles for $26,000 . I test drove the BMW at CarMax and I must say i was impressed with the power ride and built of the car, however the interior is bland not Techi like the RL. I have also test drove the RL and it too has power not as solid as the X5, I have a hard time deciding. Will it be about the same in Maintenance for both cars over the life time of ownership. I will be keeping either cars for the next 5-6 years. Any information would be gladly appreciated. Hope to hear from Rob also. How would resale value be on both within six years.

Thanks.

Last edited by Mr.Tea; 05-27-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It depends on maintenance. If you plan on doing any mods to the cars. Both cars are AWD and mileage difference is only about a couple of miles depending how you drive. BMW is V8 and RL is V6. Does the BMW have NAVI? I have an RL myself and I always wanted one. I got it last November and do not regret it. I actually the drive on the RL better than the X5. My wife's cousing has an X5 and I didn't like it as much as my RL. Maybe it is just personal preferance. Actually you are getting a good deal on both for the price. I know one thing the RL edges out in Safety rating from the X5, but it really does depend on you. I was looking at www.kbb.com and comparing the two. You might want to check it for yourself. Hope this helps a little.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.Tea
Hello Guys I am trying to decide whether to buy a 2006 BMW X5 4.4I with 24,000 miles for $28,000 315 hp or a 2006 Acura RL Non Tech 30,000 miles for $26,000 . I test drove the BMW at CarMax and I must say i was impressed with the power ride and built of the car, however the interior is bland not Techi like the RL. I have also test drove the RL and it too has power not as solid as the X5, I have a hard time deciding. Will it be about the same in Maintenance for both cars over the life time of ownership. I will be keeping either cars for the next 5-6 years. Any information would be gladly appreciated. Hope to hear from Rob also. How would resale value be on both within six years.

Thanks.
I have smoked more than one X5 4.4 in my days...and where are you getting the idea that X5 will be as reliable as RL over 5-6 years?

26k for non tech RL is steep. Beat em down to low 20s.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Racer

I never said it was more reliable, I was just stating based on the years i will have both. This will be my daily driver.

Originally Posted by 037
I have smoked more than one X5 4.4 in my days...and where are you getting the idea that X5 will be as reliable as RL over 5-6 years?

26k for non tech RL is steep. Beat em down to low 20s.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Safety Car

I vote RL
Old 05-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Instructor

I agree, I would prefer the RL over the X5.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
RL is bulletproof in reliability compared to the X5. I would vote for the RL every time in this situation. A 2006 RL with only 30k miles is virtually brand new considering we have members with well over 100k miles, and at least one with over 225k miles.

Of course, I'm also not an SUV guy so that figures into the calculation.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Advanced

well having owned a X5, on lease back in 2002, I loved the car. I lease my suv's(for winter)...and every 2yrs, I go back to bmw wanting to lease it again, cause i loved driving it that much, so sporty, yet very capable in the snow, but the lease prices just weren't good everytime I went. But my next suv will be an X5, the only other suv i felt could compete with it was the Fx50 for sporty ride, and sorta the mdx for overall package....but I still think x5 is the best suv, esp. with the bigger engine. Now as compared to the RL, I owned previous body style, not the 2g, so I can't give a fair assesment.

The 3yrs I had my X5, i took it to the dealer 3times( bulb blew out, reprogram window, and cleaned spray nozzle for windshield.) other than that, i had NO mechanical problems. The car was rock solid, like driving a tank.

Reliability will be an issue with any luxury car, I would buy an extended warranty for the Acura or Bmw, and since you say you will keep 5-6yrs, i wouldn't use reliability so much as criteria. pick the car you enjoy driving. I personally would go with x5(love the 4.4 engine)...and knowing i enjoy suv ride too.

but both cars are excellent regardless....
Old 05-28-2009, 02:15 AM
Instructor

i would go for the Acura RL (maybe bias because i'm an acural rl owner) since the safety is superior over all car. reliability is the most importance to decide to buy a car. Furthermore, when you compare the two engine the bmw has v8 engine but only produce 315hp instead of the acura with v6 engine producing 300hp. That's not much to me. ALso, bigger engine means higher cost for maintaining.
Hope this help
Old 05-28-2009, 09:24 AM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

V8=torque Torque=your friend. The RL V6's power is too high in the rev range for my taste give me low end grunt.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:52 AM
4th Gear

I just recently traded my 2006 4.4 X5 for an '09 RL. Got hammered on the trade, low mileage cars and SUV's in particular are in very low demand.
These are completely different vehicles. My X5 was great, very reliable, bit I did'nt worry about it because of the excellent BMW 4 year maintenance/warranty plan.
If you need to carry a lot of stuff and like to sit up high, the X5 is the obvious choice. If you want more of a luxury feel and a quieter ride, the RL is better.
The cars feel very different and are in completely different categories, hard to compare.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Safety Car

BMW does not have SH-AWD...

It's used when you refuse to brake in corners and accelerate instead...
Old 05-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Advanced

I have had my '04 3.0L/5-Spd X5 for 5-years/80k miles and love driving it. It definitely has a stiffer ride, tighter steering, handling and braking over the RL, which is of course is a lux mobile. No problems during the free 4-years maint but I've recently had to replace the DISA valve ($180), CCVT valve $160 (both parts only DIY) and AC recharged for $137 at dealer. I am on my 2nd set of tires and brakes, which I did myself. The X5 goes through 6" snow on unplowed CT roads with no problems. I have heard of some problems with the 4.4L engine, so you may want to check it out on the X5 forum. The 3.0L is bulletproof, silky smooth and I get 22mpg on the highway, with the 6-spd. I think 4.4 is a gas guzzler.

I picked up an '06 RL this past January and use it for my daily driver and love it too. The comfort and electronics are better than the Bimmer but this would be a hard decision to make. If you travel far to work I would probably get the RL as the total cost to own and operate is less than the bimmer and I get up to 28mpg on the highway with the RL. It's also better suited if you like to take road trips, like to FL and back. I you didn't have very far to travel to work and really want an SUV then get the X5. If you want to have a real nice car and spend less $$$ then get the RL. If you are still struggling with the decision then get both vehicles, case solved, lol. They are both high end vehicles and fun to drive.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:11 PM
Advanced

BTW... the X5 has better seat warmers.... I think that's my only complaint over the RL.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:20 PM
Racer

Thanks guys for all the answers, I can only afford 1 car at this point :-). I also live in CT I drive to work about 5-6 miles everyday. I will also be attending University in the fall and will be going to school on Sundays for the next 2 years. From CT TO RHODE ISLAND. Not sure if this would make a difference in driving either vehicle. I had a Honda Ridgeline the first year got tired of it was too big and boat like. I bought a brand new G35 coupe Got tired of the rattle and the limited space and hard suspension. I own a 2000 TL and love it very much. So needless to say, I hope I wont be tired of either when I decide. How does the BMW handle in snow? Do i have to do the Oil change at BMW? Or can a Certified Mechanic Do the same.

Originally Posted by pickncrew
I have had my '04 3.0L/5-Spd X5 for 5-years/80k miles and love driving it. It definitely has a stiffer ride, tighter steering, handling and braking over the RL, which is of course is a lux mobile. No problems during the free 4-years maint but I've recently had to replace the DISA valve ($180), CCVT valve $160 (both parts only DIY) and AC recharged for $137 at dealer. I am on my 2nd set of tires and brakes, which I did myself. The X5 goes through 6" snow on unplowed CT roads with no problems. I have heard of some problems with the 4.4L engine, so you may want to check it out on the X5 forum. The 3.0L is bulletproof, silky smooth and I get 22mpg on the highway, with the 6-spd. I think 4.4 is a gas guzzler.

I picked up an '06 RL this past January and use it for my daily driver and love it too. The comfort and electronics are better than the Bimmer but this would be a hard decision to make. If you travel far to work I would probably get the RL as the total cost to own and operate is less than the bimmer and I get up to 28mpg on the highway with the RL. It's also better suited if you like to take road trips, like to FL and back. I you didn't have very far to travel to work and really want an SUV then get the X5. If you want to have a real nice car and spend less $$$ then get the RL. If you are still struggling with the decision then get both vehicles, case solved, lol. They are both high end vehicles and fun to drive.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Safety Car

I'm sorry but the RL handles better and accelerates faster.

BMW probably has it on braking.

http://www.caranddriver.com/content/...comparo_ts.pdf
Old 05-29-2009, 03:08 AM
Advanced

Of course the X5 is top heavy but for an SUV it handles extremely well and squats down and digs in on the corners. My 2006 RL is more floaty than my 2004 X5. I haven't driven the RL enough in the snow to make a good comparison but the X5 is awesome in the snow... very sure footed. I drove from VT to CT in a snow storm and it didn't slip once and of course you sit up higher with more ground clearance to clear the deeper snow drifts. For inclement weather I would rather be in the X5 but this is a personal choice, partly because I would rather "preserve" the RL and not get road salt on it, lol.

You don't have to bring your X5 into bimmer shop to do oil changes. You can do it yourself or other shop without voiding the warranty, just make sure you use the recommended oil, stick to the intervals.... better yet change more frequently than 15k miles and document it.

If these are the only two vehicles you have it narrowed down to then you are doing good.... you just need to decide if you want an SUV or car. I was considering buying a 2nd X5 as my daily driver because my wife uses the X5 but decided to go with the RL for economy, luxury and reliability and I am glad I did.

Good luck with school.... if you want to come check out my X5 and RL to help you decide, just send me a PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Racer

I noticed that you said : RL for economy, luxury and reliability. The X5 is not luxury or Reliable? would i get a more relaxing ride in a RL and when you say Economy? the BMW is much more costly to be worked on when needed?
Please let me know. The things i love with the RL is the Technology as well the displays and all the lights inside i just lover that.

Oh well i have to make a choice.

Of course the X5 is top heavy but for an SUV it handles extremely well and squats down and digs in on the corners. My 2006 RL is more floaty than my 2004 X5. I haven't driven the RL enough in the snow to make a good comparison but the X5 is awesome in the snow... very sure footed. I drove from VT to CT in a snow storm and it didn't slip once and of course you sit up higher with more ground clearance to clear the deeper snow drifts. For inclement weather I would rather be in the X5 but this is a personal choice, partly because I would rather "preserve" the RL and not get road salt on it, lol.

You don't have to bring your X5 into bimmer shop to do oil changes. You can do it yourself or other shop without voiding the warranty, just make sure you use the recommended oil, stick to the intervals.... better yet change more frequently than 15k miles and document it.

If these are the only two vehicles you have it narrowed down to then you are doing good.... you just need to decide if you want an SUV or car. I was considering buying a 2nd X5 as my daily driver because my wife uses the X5 but decided to go with the RL for economy, luxury and reliability and I am glad I did.

Good luck with school.... if you want to come check out my X5 and RL to help you decide, just send me a PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Red face 2006

I thought that the RLs did not come in non-tech versions until 2007 .... ?
Old 05-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Instructor

It is true but the nontech for 2005 was there wasn't one and for 2006 the nontech is without CMBS with ACC and PAX.

Originally Posted by TSX69
I thought that the RLs did not come in non-tech versions until 2007 .... ?
Old 05-29-2009, 07:06 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
I have both, so I feel I can chime in on this conversation I purchased my '01 X5 4.4 new and purchased my '05 RL CPO'd last year with 45k on it.

Both are really, really nice vehicles. Obviously, there's a huge difference between an SUV and a car. You need to decide what you want. The X5 will probably suck down more gas because its a SUV. Does that matter to you?

The RL comes fully loaded, the X5 has to be optioned out to get all the RL toys. Are the two comparable? Do the options matter to you?

I have to be honest, my 2001 X5 has been very good to me. BMW dealers are notoriously expensive, so you have to be aware of that. Both of these cars out of warranty are very expensive to maintain. Is one CPO'd vs. the other? Can both be CPO'd? I'd make that a serious consideration in buying one vs. the other....

Driving wise, it's really tough to compare. One is an SUV and one is a car. The X5 is definitely a german car through and through. It has great steering, great brakes, and a very good suspension for a SUV. The RL has decent brakes, decent steering, and handles very well for its size. It's not a german car though, and it isn't trying to be one. I love both. You really need to drive them both for an hour or so and make up your mind.

I keep the X5 around because its in great shape (only 40k on it, no major problems yet) and I need to haul stuff. I love the RL because its a car and is a great car for the money.

Both are great, it's a very tough decision. I really think you need to narrow it down between SUV vs. car and if you can get either one Certified so you get a warranty.

Chris
Old 05-30-2009, 04:34 PM
Advanced

CFoote put it very well; I agree and feel the same way he does. Sure the X5 is luxurious but the RL seats and supension are softer and the steering wheel is easier to turn and yes, a more relaxing ride. The RL is less expensive to operate and should be less to maintain than the X5 over time. I don't know how the Acura service rates compare with BMW but getting anything fixed at BMW is expensive, so get a CPO vehicle if you can. Once a BMW is CPO is always is, even if the owners change. One thing I found out with the X5 and other BMW's is that they have an Oil Separator Valve that likes to plug up prematurely in cold climates (poor design). I think the V8 has two. It's a pita to get to for replacement and can cost up to $1k to have the dealer do it. It not covered under warranty because they consider it a wear item. I had to replace mine at 77K miles. If you need to make home depot runs or like to load up camping gear or take the dog for a ride then get the X5... but if you love nice cars then the RL is for you.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:01 PM
Racer

Well I agree I have no dog, no kids, single guy with a girlfriend home and she does not drive. I'm the only driver. I guess after driving the X5 once I loved the feel. I guess I will stick to the Rl for now.

CFoote put it very well; I agree and feel the same way he does. Sure the X5 is luxurious but the RL seats and supension are softer and the steering wheel is easier to turn and yes, a more relaxing ride. The RL is less expensive to operate and should be less to maintain than the X5 over time. I don't know how the Acura service rates compare with BMW but getting anything fixed at BMW is expensive, so get a CPO vehicle if you can. Once a BMW is CPO is always is, even if the owners change. One thing I found out with the X5 and other BMW's is that they have an Oil Separator Valve that likes to plug up prematurely in cold climates (poor design). I think the V8 has two. It's a pita to get to for replacement and can cost up to $1k to have the dealer do it. It not covered under warranty because they consider it a wear item. I had to replace mine at 77K miles. If you need to make home depot runs or like to load up camping gear or take the dog for a ride then get the X5... but if you love nice cars then the RL is for you.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:06 PM
Instructor

I've only been an RL owner since Nov 2008, but so far it has been a dream come true for me. I've always wanted one since Acura came out with the new design for the 2005 model year. It really depends on you but if you are going to settle with the RL; you will not regret the choice. I forgot to mention, I got the extended warranty (Platinum package at the dealership) beyond the one they give you when purchasing a CPO. So far no problems with the car, just normal wear and tear which is normal for a daily driver.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Cruisin'

The bottom line is car vs suv. Any site you go to gives the RL much better reliability ratings than any BMW.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:27 PM
2007 BMW 550i sleeps in

Hi,
As the person who has actually upgraded from X5 to 4.4i to RL - I'd recommed to get an RL.
This is what I've originally noticed:
Performance/Handling - no comparison goes to RL - although X5 is perfect for SUV...
Electronics/Build Quality - RL again, although X5 is one of the most reliable German cars (I've owned it for 7 yrs, even after warranty expiration)

Although pls note, I've missed the low RPM power/torque - this is hands down goes to X5. Actrually this is one of the reasons I've switched back to bimmer after all. Also brakes/brake distance/braking feel are better on X5. Also it took me a while (couple of weeks or so) to get used to slight vibration on RL throttle pedal (very well noticable after X5).

Still I'd recommend RL, unless you need an extra clearance/tow capacity.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:50 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
RL wins hands down. You can not beat the value it brings. Doing research and from friends input the German vehicles tend to have more issues over the long run. Albeit both cars are expensive to upkeep you'll probably be going to the shop more often in the German made cars. This is documented information by consumer report.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:39 PM
9th Gear

I’m not sure if Mr. Tea has purchased his car/suv yet. But if he is in the market for an SUV he should test drive the MDX. I recently sold my 04 MDX touring with nav and it was definitely one of the best cars I have ever owned.
If you are in the market for a luxury car with some kickass, then the RL is the choice. Once you have driven an Acura with the SH-AWD there is no going back…
Old 06-18-2009, 12:51 PM
2007 BMW 550i sleeps in

Originally Posted by 05 RL

If you are in the market for a luxury car with some kickass, then the RL is the choice. Once you have driven an Acura with the SH-AWD there is no going back…
Sigh... Unfortunately there is - at least for me. I'd prefer to stay with Acura, I really am - car is just stunning (RL), but extra pwr/trq/6spd auto/rwd draws me to the Dark Side (before RL owned X5 4.4i). I guess it may be a virus, but looks like several board members, incl. neuronbob, have caught it as well.

Last edited by vladfrenkel; 06-18-2009 at 12:55 PM.