Bittersweet day: goodbye ‘05 RL — hello ‘16 TLX

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 06:54 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bittersweet day: goodbye ‘05 RL — hello ‘16 TLX

I bought my RL used in 2012. Due to failed GPS, door rust, headlight sometimes not working, other electrical probs and an anticipated expense of replacing the steering assembly I traded it in yesterday. Last month my mechanic said, “She looks tired.”

I drove it 163k and the engine still sounds great. The AC, heater, heated seats work fine. That seat has molded to my bottom for extreme comfort much like I will be molding into my TLX.

Thank you Acurazine posters for all the discussions that were relevant to my car. I read many of them. In the past year my mechanic installed a new exhaust system and replaced the crank pulley after “it deteriorated.” Once gps drive failed for good (which I trued to fix to no avail), I couldn’t always view radio stations. My top display works intermittently & I would have to whack the dashboard like an old TV. My phone hands-free worked only when I gave verbal commands (which I shouted angrily at times because she didn’t hear my numbers currently such as 5 or 9). When dialing directly from my phone or receiving a call, I would have to reach for the phone to switch to Bluetooth.

My RL trade in value was miserable. They promptly drove it to the back of the lot to hide it. I hope they don’t junk it. I wish it be wholesaled to someone who I could talk to, tell them how I did care for it religiously, go over the minor electrical inconveniences, console then that they made a great buy. Maybe that buyer can find this post and I can tell them personally... RIP my RL.🙏
Old 11-03-2019, 09:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by acurarlowner
I bought my RL used in 2012. Due to failed GPS, door rust, headlight sometimes not working, other electrical probs and an anticipated expense of replacing the steering assembly I traded it in yesterday. Last month my mechanic said, “She looks tired.”

I drove it 163k and the engine still sounds great. The AC, heater, heated seats work fine. That seat has molded to my bottom for extreme comfort much like I will be molding into my TLX.

Thank you Acurazine posters for all the discussions that were relevant to my car. I read many of them. In the past year my mechanic installed a new exhaust system and replaced the crank pulley after “it deteriorated.” Once gps drive failed for good (which I trued to fix to no avail), I couldn’t always view radio stations. My top display works intermittently & I would have to whack the dashboard like an old TV. My phone hands-free worked only when I gave verbal commands (which I shouted angrily at times because she didn’t hear my numbers currently such as 5 or 9). When dialing directly from my phone or receiving a call, I would have to reach for the phone to switch to Bluetooth.

My RL trade in value was miserable. They promptly drove it to the back of the lot to hide it. I hope they don’t junk it. I wish it be wholesaled to someone who I could talk to, tell them how I did care for it religiously, go over the minor electrical inconveniences, console then that they made a great buy. Maybe that buyer can find this post and I can tell them personally... RIP my RL.🙏
huh, I dunno man... from RL into over-glorified TSX lil bucket? TLX is horrible to be honest with you... I am sure you will part your way with TLX fairly soon after you drive it for few months - I cannot explain, but you will see (unless it is 4cyl model with dual clutch transmission - then you should be ok) - V6 is terrible... sh-awd even does not make it better at all...

I think you should have gone for FWD TL 2013-2014 - as that is the only car that could carry over quality, reliability and enjoyment RL gives. I currently have both, so speaking from experience.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:13 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by rl015
huh, I dunno man... from RL into over-glorified TSX lil bucket? TLX is horrible to be honest with you... I am sure you will part your way with TLX fairly soon after you drive it for few months - I cannot explain, but you will see (unless it is 4cyl model with dual clutch transmission - then you should be ok) - V6 is terrible... sh-awd even does not make it better at all...

I think you should have gone for FWD TL 2013-2014 - as that is the only car that could carry over quality, reliability and enjoyment RL gives. I currently have both, so speaking from experience.
OUCH!! What a Buzz Kill!!
Old 11-04-2019, 12:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
I've driven a TLX as a loaner and I think it's a fine car. It doesn't look as "premium" inside as the RL does but it also cost a lot less when new.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by DanL07RL
Yes. No need for that. I share your affection for my own RL, but they are machines and eventually they do wear out. Enjoy your newish car with all its modern systems that work, and I suspect you will.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:38 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Make sure to hang around and visit us from time to time
The following 2 users liked this post by projektvertx:
KB1 (01-19-2020), rlx015 (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 09:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DanL07RL
I guess you can call it a buzz kill... I'd rather call it reality check because there is a reason why TLX is cheaper. Especially early production units '15 and '16.

Friend of mine lost close to 10k because of TLX, so knowing the story closely with all details and seeing Acura miserably FAIL to address issues, it is simply obvious that TLX as a model was Acura's FAIL... V6 sh-awd / fwd is definitely not a car to get. 4cyl powertrain I have not heard or seen anything bad about, so if it is 4cyl, should be ok (still buggy infotainment, but at least engine trans is ok)

For RL, definitely not glorifying it, yes, better car... But if loving the car that much, you can find super deals on RLs for 10k these days...

I personally will not be continuing with Acura family because they do not have a model worth considering (v6, sh awd, non vcm crap) ...

Still love my RL and plan to keep it until the end of its days

Good luck w TLX anyway, hoping you have no issues with it...
Old 11-05-2019, 09:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TonyCD
Yes. No need for that. I share your affection for my own RL, but they are machines and eventually they do wear out. Enjoy your newish car with all its modern systems that work, and I suspect you will.
If it saves someone thousands of $$$ or even better prevents the potential buyer from dealing with issues TLX is prone to, would it be a buzz kill then? I'd say no...

So yeah, advisory on forum is not about sugar coating and talking fairytales (not doing buz kills, etc.), but saying honest opinion to help owners consider all and come to conclusion to make the right call, whatever that call of theirs is 👍👍😉😉
The following users liked this post:
bluetl04 (01-26-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 09:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any Acura is a good Acura

I don't get how some one can own a v6 sh awd single disc clutch (slow shifting rl) awd bash a v6 sh awd with twin disc clutch (faster shifting tlx) I love that he stuck with the brand period , I love my rl but would buy a new Acura no problem , I wouldn't be satisfied with performance of a 4 cyl tho mite as well save sum $ and get a Accord sport if u like 4 cyl
Old 01-18-2020, 09:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 168 Posts
If all that stuff had gone wrong with my car, I think I'd fall out of love too. Best of luck and many happy miles with your new TLX.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by jodeyjo559
I don't get how some one can own a v6 sh awd single disc clutch (slow shifting rl) awd bash a v6 sh awd with twin disc clutch (faster shifting tlx) I love that he stuck with the brand period , I love my rl but would buy a new Acura no problem , I wouldn't be satisfied with performance of a 4 cyl tho mite as well save sum $ and get a Accord sport if u like 4 cyl
Actually, only the base engine TLX has the dual clutch, with 201hp engine and it's FWD only. The SH-AWD version is the V6 with the 9 speed auto.
rlx015 (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 02:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jodeyjo559
As far as new Acuras, last model was TL 2014 FWD that did not have VCM - and that is what I would call the last Mohican... all other models so far either have ruined great engine v6 3.5L (by adding VCM), and/or have (some models in addition to that) 9-speed worst ZF transmission ZF has ever made... that is why I am awaiting to see what Acura brings new: hopefully Type S concept will have V6T or V6TT with SH-awd combo and hopefully either 8spd dual-clutch, or 10spd - as far they can get from 9-spd ZF!

Only sign Acura is sort of kind of realizing now, is 2019+ Acura RDX and an in-house built 10spd transmission... still, one can make a point that newest RDX model is still overpriced for it's class of a cross-over/smaller SUV - especially when you can get 2019 Highlander XLE/SE or limited/platinum with naturally aspirated V6 with timing chain and 7 or 8 seats...

I guess it all depends to what extent we are ready to make a compromise
bluetl04 (01-26-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 10:52 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
^The VCM has so many people annoyed that a simple disable is about 90$ away
Old 01-30-2020, 09:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by projektvertx
^The VCM has so many people annoyed that a simple disable is about 90$ away
I would be doing that myself for sure if the price of the car was right... but I think the pure principle of paying a car 30-35-40k or more, and then having to install $90 gadget to disable something for me is a deal-breaker - not because disabling does not work, but because Acura is ignorant of pushing BS onto buyers and still expect their cars to sell, etc.