Back from 2,800-mile trip

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 08:26 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Talking Back from 2,800-mile trip

No, this is not another all-encompassing trip report … we’ve had several of those and there’s not a lot new to say. There are a couple of things worth mentioning, though, so I thought I’d comment on those.

Mileage

With a little over 13,000 miles on my RL, mileage around town has improved, so I was interested in knowing how it would do on the highway this time. The whole trip (a bit over 2,800 miles) averaged 25.7 mpg. That includes crawling in traffic, whipping down the highway at illegal speeds, headwinds, crosswinds and the occasional tailwind.

The highest tank average was 29.3, which would have been better except for a stiff crosswind we picked up in western Colorado and into Kansas. I had gassed up in Cheyenne, Wyoming, and after almost 100 miles down I-25 I was averaging an amazing 32.4 mpg. This was with the cruise set at 81 mph, A/C on, and unusually light (for I-25) Sunday morning traffic.

Then we hit Denver and turned east, and soon after, the crosswinds hit and I watched the average erode slowly until we stopped for the night in Hays, Kansas with the trip computer showing 29.3. I attribute the high mileage in part to the fact the gas I got in Wyoming didn’t appear to contain any ethanol, and of course ethanol is known for lower mileage. Most of the other gas I got on the trip contained “up to 10% ethanol” per the notice on the pump.

That crosswind continued on Monday and became a headwind when we turned south on I-35 to head to Texas, so it continued to hurt my overall average.

Overall, though, I’m plenty happy with the mileage. It ain’t Prius territory, but this is way more car than a Prius can ever dream of being. And it’s a couple mpg’s more than the RL did on the highway when new.

(BTW, I had to take a tank of 87-octane mid-grade somewhere in South Dakota when that’s all anyone had. I lost about 1 mpg as far as I could tell, and it burned fine. No detonation, no noticeable reduction in power.)

Performance

I swear my RL is running better than it ever has. I noticed when pulling out of a rest area, for instance, that I was doing 80 when I reached the end of the ramp and got onto the interstate. The RL was pulling strong and I wasn’t even flooring it. And when I would decide to pull around a truck, or pass someone on a two-lane highway, I could spool up to 90 and 100 more easily than I remember being able to on the RL’s first highway trip. It was just really pulling well and it felt lively and eager.

Hmmmm … do I really need that V-8?

Road Noise

While the RL is quiet on “normal” road surfaces, there are a lot of times when coarse pavement or certain kinds of concrete finishes set up a real roar at highway speeds. These include concrete that has that ribbed finish running perpendicular to the direction of travel, roads made up of asphalt with rock embedded in the surface (we call these roads “caliche” in Texas), and similar surfaces. I know the tires are as much at fault as the soundproofing in the car, but a little dynamat in strategic locations could make a lot of difference.

Navigation System

The Acura Nav is without a doubt the best in the business, and it was a treat to use on this trip. Sure, it wanted to take me on somewhat roundabout routes at times, but it was because it figured I would want to take the U.S. highway instead of the slightly shorter state road, etc. So I sometimes ignored the Nav Lady and went the way I wanted. She always eventually gave up and followed me, though, when she figured out I wasn’t going to do a U-turn and go back.

But the main thing is that she took us directly and unflinchingly to places like Mount Rushmore and Devil’s Tower and my brother’s new house in Nebraska and the Baymont Inn in Tulsa and MacDonald’s in wherever for morning coffee. Places I would have had to search a map for or ask directions to. When I wondered what lake that was on the left, or what river we just crossed, or what that big green area on the map was, I would just scroll over and she would tell me its name. And she didn’t complain or lock up or have a headache at the wrong time. I don’t know how I could do without her now. She is indispensable.

Handling

In a word, excellent. A great blend of luxury and sport.

The only tiny imperfection I noticed was a bit of wandering on grooved pavement … the concrete that looks like someone dragged a big comb along the surface while it was still a little wet. That’s the tires again. I love the Michelins, but between the road noise and this wandering, another tread design might be a better match to the car.

I also spent some time watching the SH-AWD display up in the Black Hills. I only got the display to show unequal rear torque one time when I really pushed it (hard enough to make my wife ask me what the hell I was doing). It was interesting, though, to watch it show rear torque and no front torque when coasting downhill. And when I applied a little brake while coasting downhill, that rear torque would go away until lifted my foot off the brake.

And as for the car being “FWD most of the time”, that sure isn’t the case at highway speeds. Virtually all the time I was cruising on flat ground, the display was showing equal torque to all four wheels.

That's it, except to say - I love my RL.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:24 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Hmmmm … do I really need that V-8?
That is excatly my question - I think if they wanted to put more power in it - add on a turbo - not 2 more cylinders - then you would see better performance at altitude.

Road Noise

While the RL is quiet on “normal” road surfaces, there are a lot of times when coarse pavement or certain kinds of concrete finishes set up a real roar at highway speeds. These include concrete that has that ribbed finish running perpendicular to the direction of travel, roads made up of asphalt with rock embedded in the surface (we call these roads “caliche” in Texas), and similar surfaces. I know the tires are as much at fault as the soundproofing in the car, but a little dynamat in strategic locations could make a lot of difference.

Which tires are you running? The run flats? I noticed the same thing last weekend. Louder then I would like - but tolerable.

My favorite feature is the Adaptave Cruise Control. I am a CC junkie and that is the cat's a--! One dealer I talked to tried to talk me out of it - glad I didn't listen. I think it was because she didn't have any in inventory.

Don
Old 08-27-2007, 09:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Great review, Mike. Excellent mileage.

I passed through Hays myself, both ways, on the way to and from Colorado only a few weeks ago. On the way outbound from Cleveland, we stayed in Salina, our usual first night's resting spot. For anyone doing the math, that's around 900 road miles from Cleveland, and I drive it in one long-ass day. Next time, we are taking the RL instead of the Pilot. I just have to convince the wife to pack lighter; we also won't need the baby's pack and play next trip.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Excellent review, Mike.

I have noticed many of the same things that you mention, and wonder where that ANC is sometimes. I also noted that despite what people say about this being a front wheel drive car, except in very heavy acceleration, where there is more torque going to the front wheels than the back, like 4 bars vs 2 or 3, this car is pretty much AWD all the time. Of course I am also excepting those situations where the car is sending torque to one of the rear wheels, etc, etc, but you understand what I mean.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Thanks for the nice trip log, Mike. One feature I particularly appreciate on cross-country trips is the grade logic (automatic engine braking on a downhill; you tap the brakes to let the car know you'd like to hold a set speed). All Hondas have it so far as I know. It is a great feature, and now that it exists I am done with manual trannies.

That is some spectacular gas mileage.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:29 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Road Noise would virtually disappear if Acura\Honda got rid of Michelins as OEM and switched to Dunlops, and handling would improve.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:06 AM
Pro

I agree, I do not need a v-8 or the low mileage that comes with it, or the extra weight.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:52 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Road Noise

I've noticed something strange too. Like you said, it's normally very quiet. Much better then average. However, when it's raining hard outside you can hardly hear yourself talk. Certainly can't use the Voice system. Even if I close the sunroof screen, it's still very loud. Reminds me of the days when I drove a cargo van in my youth. I think they need a lot more insulation in the roof.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:29 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by Don Melcher

Which tires are you running? The run flats? I noticed the same thing last weekend. Louder then I would like - but tolerable.
Don, I don't have the run-flats, just the regular Michelin Pilot HX MXM4's. Like I said - they're quiet on some surfaces, but noisy as heck on others.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:34 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
I've noticed something strange too. Like you said, it's normally very quiet. Much better then average. However, when it's raining hard outside you can hardly hear yourself talk. Certainly can't use the Voice system. Even if I close the sunroof screen, it's still very loud. Reminds me of the days when I drove a cargo van in my youth. I think they need a lot more insulation in the roof.
You may be onto something, Mikey. My wife's Caddy STS has the same tires as my RL, and her car is quieter on those noisy roads than the RL. So maybe it IS coming in through the roof. I would have suspected the wheel wells or the floor pan, but it might just be coming in the top!

My MDX also has Michelins, but they are a different tread design, and I actually think it is quieter than the RL on coarse pavement. That's why I figure it's the tread design as much as anything, but pad that roof and it might quieten right down.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Go Big Blue!

Only reason I noticed it was because we get those monster thunderstorms around here in the summer. Rain drops are the size of M&M's. It's definitely loader in my RL during Tstorms then any other car I've owned before. I think they missed something in the insulation dept up top. Aside from that scenerio, the car is very quiet. I have those PAX tires which also seems to help.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:55 PM
Racer

Could it be that the top of the car is aluminum and more sound passes-through aluminum than steel? The roof is aluminum, right? I'll have to put a magnet to it to confirm.....
Old 08-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I don't think it is aluminum...excerpt from press release:

BODY STRUCTURE

Light Weight
Producing a lightweight and rigid unit body was essential to making the RL a premium luxury sport sedan.
This is because light weight improves every aspect of dynamic performance and fuel economy, and a rigid structure improves ride and handling.
Specific RL strategies that were employed to reduce body mass include:
Aluminum hood, fenders, trunk lid, and trunk lid frame
Aluminum front and rear subframes, suspension arms and bumper beams
Magnesium cylinder head covers and seat frames
Carbon fiber reinforced composite drive shaft
Old 08-28-2007, 10:49 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Navigation System

The Acura Nav is without a doubt the best in the business, and it was a treat to use on this trip. Sure, it wanted to take me on somewhat roundabout routes at times, but it was because it figured I would want to take the U.S. highway instead of the slightly shorter state road, etc. So I sometimes ignored the Nav Lady and went the way I wanted. She always eventually gave up and followed me, though, when she figured out I wasn’t going to do a U-turn and go back.

But the main thing is that she took us directly and unflinchingly to places like Mount Rushmore and Devil’s Tower and my brother’s new house in Nebraska and the Baymont Inn in Tulsa and MacDonald’s in wherever for morning coffee. Places I would have had to search a map for or ask directions to. When I wondered what lake that was on the left, or what river we just crossed, or what that big green area on the map was, I would just scroll over and she would tell me its name. And she didn’t complain or lock up or have a headache at the wrong time. I don’t know how I could do without her now. She is indispensable.
That's it, except to say - I love my RL.

I couldn't agree more Mike. I am currently in the process of relocating to Michigan as I've accepted a rather nice opportunity with a company out here. I drove out here over two weeks ago and am staying in an extended stay hotel. The drive out here was a joy, and the whole time I've been out here, the NAV has been invaluable.

"Find nearest restaurant"
"Find nearest post office"

etc.

I've used the nav more in the past two weeks as I have the previous year. It's going to indispensible as I get to know my new surroundings.

Today we had a meeting at a satellite office. They're doing construction outside of the office so you have to detour down a couple roads. I'm in the car a couple minutes and my phone rings. It's my boss. He says, "I know you have GPS, which way is it telling you to get towards the freeway. I gave him the directions and he says, "ah that's right, that's the way I should have gone".

Yesterday there was a major accident on the 275 outside of Novi. NavTraffic was dead on indicating the traffic flows and the locations of the incidents.

It's been an incredible co-pilot and has made my getting around much easier.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:15 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by GoHawks
I couldn't agree more Mike. I am currently in the process of relocating to Michigan as I've accepted a rather nice opportunity with a company out here. I drove out here over two weeks ago and am staying in an extended stay hotel. The drive out here was a joy, and the whole time I've been out here, the NAV has been invaluable.

"Find nearest restaurant"
"Find nearest post office"

etc.

I've used the nav more in the past two weeks as I have the previous year. It's going to indispensible as I get to know my new surroundings.

Today we had a meeting at a satellite office. They're doing construction outside of the office so you have to detour down a couple roads. I'm in the car a couple minutes and my phone rings. It's my boss. He says, "I know you have GPS, which way is it telling you to get towards the freeway. I gave him the directions and he says, "ah that's right, that's the way I should have gone".

Yesterday there was a major accident on the 275 outside of Novi. NavTraffic was dead on indicating the traffic flows and the locations of the incidents.

It's been an incredible co-pilot and has made my getting around much easier.

Amen. Yet I still hear people say things like, "Why do I need navigation? I always know where I'm going, and if I don't, that's why they make maps."

I kinda feel sorry for them.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:26 AM
Go Big Blue!

Amen. Yet I still hear people say things like, "Why do I need navigation? I always know where I'm going, and if I don't, that's why they make maps."

I kinda feel sorry for them.

Nav is one of those things that you don't know you need until you have it. I would never buy a car without it anymore. I wouldn't buy a car for my kids without it. Not only is it a great convenience trying to find someones house (or a business address), it's also a great safety feature. No more u-turns on busy streets. No more driving 10mph with people honking at you as you look for a business sign or address (in the dark in the rain!). I use it all the time now, even around town.

The other thing that falls into that category is Adaptive Cruise Control. Once you have it, you don't want a car without it. Turns Cruise Control from a nice feature you occasionally can use on a lonely highway, into a great feature you can always use even in town.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by kirbyflorida
I agree, I do not need a v-8 or the low mileage that comes with it, or the extra weight.
+1. I have always been MORE than happy with the power in the RL. Its as smooth as a V8 and runs as hard as some v8's without the drawbacks. For the money I have not found a better car, V8 or not. I'M still looking too.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:43 PM
Instructor

The other thing that falls into that category is Adaptive Cruise Control. Once you have it, you don't want a car without it. Turns Cruise Control from a nice feature you occasionally can use on a lonely highway, into a great feature you can always use even in town.
My wife has had cruise on all her cars going back probably 20 years now. She seldom used it (as opposed to me where I almost always did - even on city streets - which may be why I have only one speeding ticket in about 20 years )

Last night, she came home and was singing the praises of the RL's ACC and how she used it coming across the SF/Oakland Bay Bridge.

A safer car for her was one of the main reasons I brought the RL. One of her bad habits was coming up behind someone and then just staying there - too close for my comfort. Hopefully, ACC will stop that habit.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:21 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by Don Melcher
Last night, she came home and was singing the praises of the RL's ACC and how she used it coming across the SF/Oakland Bay Bridge.
Yep, as odd as it sounds, the HEAVIER the traffic, the better it is.

The most draining type of driving is that slow moving 30-40mph stuff you do at rush hour. Brake-gas-brake-gas while you're staring at someones bumper the whole time. After 45 minutes of that you feel like you've driven 3 hours. Turn on the ACC and let the car drive itself. Just worry about steering. It makes everything so much more relaxing. I also don't get as stressed by the a$$holes on the road when using ACC.

Highly recommend it!
Old 08-30-2007, 01:31 AM
Instructor

Nav is one of those things that you don't know you need until you have it. I would never buy a car without it anymore. I wouldn't buy a car for my kids without it. Not only is it a great convenience trying to find someones house (or a business address), it's also a great safety feature. No more u-turns on busy streets. No more driving 10mph with people honking at you as you look for a business sign or address (in the dark in the rain!). I use it all the time now, even around town.

More than anything I wanted Adaptive cruise control, but I was freaked out by the inaccurancy of the Acura dealer stating that it was almost 800 per wheel to replace the run flat tires. Plus I didn't want to pay and extra 3-4k. I wish Acura had offered ACC as a separate option for 1k like Lexus does.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:07 AM
Racer

How about aftermarket? Is there an ACC kit that can be added?
Old 08-30-2007, 08:23 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by gdevine
More than anything I wanted Adaptive cruise control, but I was freaked out by the inaccurancy of the Acura dealer stating that it was almost 800 per wheel to replace the run flat tires. Plus I didn't want to pay and extra 3-4k. I wish Acura had offered ACC as a separate option for 1k like Lexus does.
Yea, $800 per tire is not true. More like $300 now.

I agree ACC should be offered separate (or at least on the tech package) However, eventhough Lexus offers it as an "add on" option, try and find one with it on the lot I tried when I was shopping for a new car. There was zero availability unless you wanted an LS
Old 09-02-2007, 02:38 AM
Instructor

Good point Spicy, I never really looked but I do know that on the Avalons they also offered it with a complete package. I almost bought an Avalon until I looked at the RL, and realized that I could buy the Rl for about 4k more. Thank god I didn't rush to get the Avalon cause of the price.

Good point Gavine does anyone know of an aftermarket ACC?
Old 09-04-2007, 07:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Great review, Mike. Excellent mileage.

I passed through Hays myself, both ways, on the way to and from Colorado only a few weeks ago. On the way outbound from Cleveland, we stayed in Salina, our usual first night's resting spot. For anyone doing the math, that's around 900 road miles from Cleveland, and I drive it in one long-ass day. Next time, we are taking the RL instead of the Pilot. I just have to convince the wife to pack lighter; we also won't need the baby's pack and play next trip.
900 miles in one day!!! Wow!!! I once drove 776 miles from Denver to Albuquerque and I thought that was a long day. No way would I be able to drive 900 miles.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:24 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by gdevine
Good point Spicy, I never really looked but I do know that on the Avalons they also offered it with a complete package. I almost bought an Avalon until I looked at the RL, and realized that I could buy the Rl for about 4k more. Thank god I didn't rush to get the Avalon cause of the price.

Good point Gavine does anyone know of an aftermarket ACC?
ACC requires some sort of radar or laser system in the front. It's really not an after market add-on type feature.

Regarding the Avalon; I test drove an Avalon once out of curiosity. I think it has good value for the right buyer, but it's definitely not a "drivers" car. It handled like a sack of $hit mounted on a tricycle. The suspension system was definitely not up to the challenge of this stretched Camry. Ton of room in the back seat as I recall. I can see a realtor using this to drive prospective buyers around town looking at houses, etc.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rexorg
900 miles in one day!!! Wow!!! I once drove 776 miles from Denver to Albuquerque and I thought that was a long day. No way would I be able to drive 900 miles.
We drive from NJ to Disney straight-through every year. It's almost exactly 1,000 miles. It takes us between 16 and 18 hours, depending on how long we stop to eat (fast food vs. sit-down).

Never did it in the RL though because it's usually six people so we take the wife's 7-seater. I can say, it would be a pleasure making the ride in the RL though. One of the years, maybe.