ATF-Z1 and Direct Replacements

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATF-Z1 and Direct Replacements

I have a couple questions re: ATF-Z1 and a direct replacement, if any exists since I've looked on the web (ie. www.bobistheoilguy.com) and this forum for ATF-Z1 information and the information seems to be lacking. So here goes:

1) I know that the ATF-Z1 formulation is unique. Has anyone heard of a direct replacement? I know believe Amsoil and Royal Purple say that their ATF is suitable for uses where ATF-Z1 is used, but is it a direct replacement?

2) What is the pour point for ATF-Z1? I've read it's not a synthetic but it has a low pour point.

3) Has anyone used another tranny fluid (synthetic) in their RL's transmission, transfer case (if it exists), and the rear differential where I believe all the fancy clutches are successfully?

I ask since I'm waiting to pull the trigger on a RL, where I plan on using synthetic motor oil, I'm hoping to use synthetic tranny fluid where ATF-Z1 is used, if it's a direct replacement and people have used it successfully....
Old 03-01-2008, 08:32 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With virtually zero failure with standard oils, I would not be one to use synthetic in this application.

I am a big fan of synthetics...I use mobile one in all of my vehicles...cars, vans, trucks, 4 stroke boat engine, even specially formulated synthetic in my motorcycle.

You have to be carefull using synthetics on motorcycles and areas using wet clutches as it will cause these clutches to slip under extreme tension.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by larrynimmo
With virtually zero failure with standard oils, I would not be one to use synthetic in this application.

I am a big fan of synthetics...I use mobile one in all of my vehicles...cars, vans, trucks, 4 stroke boat engine, even specially formulated synthetic in my motorcycle.

You have to be carefull using synthetics on motorcycles and areas using wet clutches as it will cause these clutches to slip under extreme tension.
Doesn't hurt to ask though.. Hence my questions, and still looking for answers....

Like you, I'm a fan of synthetics. I use M1 as engine oil. Just can't justify the cost of Amsoil oil.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:17 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Honda does not release information about its automatic transmission fluid to additive suppliers or the public (unlike GM, Ford and Chrysler), so any aftermarket fluid is going to be a shot in the dark. In addition, universal ATFs, theoretically, are impossible as different friction materials will respond differently to a particular fluid.

Recently, there was an SAE paper published about the importance of using an approved service fill:

As a result of raised awareness regarding the proliferation of individual OEM-recommended ATFs, and discussion in various forums regarding the possibility of "universal" service fill fluids, it was decided to study how divergent individual OEM requirements actually are by comparing the fluids performance in industry standard tests.

A bench-mark study was carried out to compare the performance of various OEM automatic transmission fluids in selected industry standard tests. All of the fluids evaluated in the study are used by certain OEMs for both factory and service fill. The areas evaluated included friction durability, oxidation resistance, viscosity stability, aeration and foam control. The results of this study are discussed in this paper. Based on the results, one can conclude that each ATF is uniquely formulated to specific OEM requirements. In addition, the results show that a customer should not deviate from the automatic transmission fluid specified in the vehicle's owners manual.
http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/2007-01-3987
Old 03-02-2008, 08:34 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SodaLuvr
Honda does not release information about its automatic transmission fluid to additive suppliers or the public (unlike GM, Ford and Chrysler), so any aftermarket fluid is going to be a shot in the dark. In addition, universal ATFs, theoretically, are impossible as different friction materials will respond differently to a particular fluid.
Assuming that automatic transmissions operate on the same principles, the transmission fluids must be able to operate in a range of conditions. I suspect that one of the universal fluids should operate in that range. It's just a question of which one.

However, if I can't find a suitable synthetic, then ATF-Z1 it is. I'm still interested in the pour point though as I wonder how much wear will occur in the diff, transfer case, and trans under extreme cold conditions.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by geronimomoe
Assuming that automatic transmissions operate on the same principles, the transmission fluids must be able to operate in a range of conditions. I suspect that one of the universal fluids should operate in that range. It's just a question of which one.
Which is what universal ATFs are, jack of all trades, master of none, at least with regards to the frictional performance. Some transmissions may be more forgiving than others, so it may work better in some than in others.

However if you purchase the paper, you'll notice that with the General Motors friction test using Borg Warner friction material, the various OEM fluids perform very differently in the second midpoint graph.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you guys heard of LE607?? I used it in my s2000 but dont know if its suitable for our acuras
Old 03-02-2008, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by fatty
Have you guys heard of LE607?? I used it in my s2000 but dont know if its suitable for our acuras
Should be OK for the transfer case. I prefer a 75w-90 though, and I think Amsoil makes a pretty good one. (Severe Gear)