Anyone drive an RL simply because it's underrated?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 11:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
Anyone drive an RL simply because it's underrated?

Maybe it's just me but a secondary reason I bought my '05 RL is because it is somewhat underrated and it DOESN'T get as many looks as cars in its class.. Let's be honest, Acura is not up there as far as "status" goes. I'm relatively young for my profession (physical med director for two hospitals) and I hate ppl thinking I have alot of money, too successful, to young, too cocky, or whatever. I like to be kinda low key and not too flashy. Perhaps its in the healthcare environment, but I notice alot of jealousy out there. Yes, perhaps I shouldnt worry about what people think at work, but it impacts interactions and perceptions. I do have a few more levels to go in my profession so I do have to keep this in mind. Again, this is not the primary reason I bought the RL, I love it and cannot see another better value in its class. the "low key" aspect of this car is a PERK to me... whereas, it may not be a perk to others, hence one reason for the low resale.

Thoughts?

(oh, picking up the '05 RL on Saturday: Carbon Grey/Black Interior/19k miles/bought for $33k/1 owner trade/carfax legit).
Old 11-01-2006, 12:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't let what people think get to you. My wife and I are about the same age as you and we just picked up an RL and also own an 02 MDX. If people think you have money let them think that way; just as long as you're not showy or cocky about it. You worked hard for it and sometimes you need to treat yourself. There will always be "haters" out there and thats a part of life. My wife and I get these looks sometimes like the RL isn't our car, but you know what who cares. What I care about is how nice it looks parked in my driveway just my 2 cent...
Old 11-01-2006, 12:24 PM
Senior Moderator

^ I hear ya 100%, not that I care what ppl think, because ppl can think whatever......but what I really care is how these perceptions impact my work life and interactions.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I get a lot of looks in my RL. What are you talking about?

My TL got a lot of looks and comments when new, but now that there are so many, nobody looks unless you've lowered it 2 inches and have 20" wheels and a big wing on it anymore.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:39 PM
Retired and Loving It

Hey Synth19,

I thought you were buying the Black 05 RL w/ebony interior. Was the dealer buyback an issue? Sounds like you got a good deal anyway.

As for the RL, I've said this before, I'm glad there aren't very many out there. It's kind of nice to have people ask me what it is. Most friends are impressed with all the features of the car. My wife says she gets compliments from strangers on the looks of the RL. It's nice not to see yourself coming down the road everyday.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:40 PM
06 RL - Carbon Gray Pearl

I've owned the RL for about 2 weeks now and I swear I've only seen 1 other RL on the road (trust me I am looking). It got me all excited that I waived at the lady. She was starlted and did not know what to do. I live in the DC/MD/VA Metropolitan area so it is pretty congested around here. I see a ton of TL's though.

I do like the fact there is not too many RL's out there.

I got the trunk lip spoiler installed yesterday. I'm getting the tint done this Friday. I will post pictures as soon as I get a chance.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:53 PM
Senior Moderator

It fell through, I cancelled the deal... too much shadyness going on from the dealer. My insticts were telling me something was wrong... also, I checked out the dealer at the BBB site.... 17 negative flags in the past 36 months! Other shady things I noticed about this dealer in my last conversation and attempt to make me buy the car:

"We can fix the carfax report, after you buy the car....this wont be on there."

"Dealer by-backs are crazy, we had a car we bought at an auction that the manufacturer bought back because it was missing a page in the owners manual...the owner insisted he didn't want it....trust me, you're fine"

After looking them up on the BBB....The owner of the company is the SAME person who claimed to be a salesman. However, on the phone from the first call he had to "check with my manager to approve that price you want!" So the owner has to check with someone before he can make a decision?

Originally Posted by Ernie Golfs
Hey Synth19,

I thought you were buying the Black 05 RL w/ebony interior. Was the dealer buyback an issue? Sounds like you got a good deal anyway.

As for the RL, I've said this before, I'm glad there aren't very many out there. It's kind of nice to have people ask me what it is. Most friends are impressed with all the features of the car. My wife says she gets compliments from strangers on the looks of the RL. It's nice not to see yourself coming down the road everyday.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:48 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
I drive it 'cause I love it. Absolutely love it! The fact that it is underated and under-appreciated are pluses in that I don't see a whole lot of them around. Mine gets a lot of approving and curious looks and the when the opportunity presents itself, I get a lot of questions about what is and how good it looks.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:55 PM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drive it because I love the car, and for no other reason. I couldn't care less what someone else thinks about it.... but I have received more compliments on my RL than I ever have on any other car.

The compliments I like the most? Valet attendants. When a valet attendant at the Borgata tells me that he loves my car, despite the fact that this guy drives ultra-luxury cars all night long, then that really means something, ya know?
Old 11-01-2006, 02:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I like that no really pays attention to the car also. Coming from a head turner car to this one is nice in it's own right. I even sometimes miss seeing other rl's on the road because the car blends in really well.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Instructor

I tend to own 'sleeper' cars. Before the RL I had a 2000 Buick Regal GS and before that, a Toyota Cressida. Quick, comfortable cars that fly under radar seems to be my 'm.o.'
Old 11-01-2006, 03:03 PM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Touge
I like that no really pays attention to the car also. Coming from a head turner car to this one is nice in it's own right. I even sometimes miss seeing other rl's on the road because the car blends in really well.
I hope this applies to police, as well.

Actually, I've been seeing quite a few RL's on the road around here. I always notice 'em and usually give a little wave.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:17 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought an RL because:

- I needed a 4 door sedan that's comfortable
- I wanted AWD
- I wanted something reliable
- Nav, bluetooth, etc
- all standard for under 43k

Now, can anyone of you let me know if I can find the exact same car anywhere else for under 43k? I didn't think so.

Old 11-01-2006, 04:36 PM
Cruisin'

If you mean underSTATED, then that is one of the reasons why I bought mine. I had a TL and loved it. In my world people drive BMW, Lexus or Audi. I wanted something that was not about the logo but about the experience and over-all feel. The BMWs my friends drive suck compared to the RL, they just won't admit it.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:41 PM
Senior Moderator

well said.

Originally Posted by Emmanuel
If you mean underSTATED, then that is one of the reasons why I bought mine. I had a TL and loved it. In my world people drive BMW, Lexus or Audi. I wanted something that was not about the logo but about the experience and over-all feel. The BMWs my friends drive suck compared to the RL, they just won't admit it.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
I bought my RL a few weeks ago because I wanted something different then the TL, I had been driving TL's for the past 6 years, but I wanted to stay with Acura. I wanted to upgrade and the next step was the RL. I really enjoy the features and the overall car
Old 11-02-2006, 01:33 AM
Instructor

Thumbs up

I owned a Q45, then an Audi A6 Avant both were head turners (sort of) but that is not why I bought them. I really enjoy driving, the problem is neither of my cars enjoyed being driven: They were money sumps from poor milage to huge repair bills.

I bought the 06 RL a month ago with 20 miles on it. I'm hoping that Acura reputation of being a reliable car holds true. Edmunds showed it to be the least expensive luxury car to own or (total cost to own). I drove the Toyota Avalon fully loaded, and ended up buying the RL for less than 2k over the MSRP of the Toyota. Obviously no comparison between the two in the drive, and I think style.

I also thought the RL was not a head turner, I don't care to be noticed. Well guess I was wrong there, I've had several thumbsup: and people asking what kind of car and how expensive it looks.. I just tell them didn't cost much more than a Toyota Avalon.

BTW: I thought the 4 wheel drive of the Audi was great, but the SH AWD of the Acura puts the Audi to shame at least on dry pavement. I think all of us got one hellava car for the amount most of us paid.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:34 PM
Instructor

At the time I bought my '05, the RL was anything but underrated. It was coming in 1st or 2nd in every LPS evaluation. But I actually do appreciate the "stealth factor" the car has. Others may get thumbs-up for their RLs, but mine doesn't seem to get noticed.

I was very amused the other day when I drove my wife's Red '02 T-Bird to work. That car ALWAYS generates recognition and a couple of folks kidded me about my nice toy, how my pay must be too high, etc. when I drove it in. Little do they know that my RL was a lot more expensive.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:02 PM
Race Director

I personally dont see the RL as underrated. I come from Charlotte, NC and it has some very high class neighborhoods. I live right next to the country club and see tons of nice cars come out of there from BMW, to lexus, to Mercedes. However in my area I do see a 2G RL once and awhile driving around. I myself have a 2G TL which you dont see that much of although you see the 3G TL everywhere around here. I think the RL might not have the status that a lexus might but it doesnt scream POS either. I do think that some of the upper class people buy them and consider it a status symbol.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:47 PM
06 RL Lakeshore Silver

I tried to research the RL hard before getting it and was pleased by what I was reading. This board was also a good resource to hear from experience RL owners.

The honest fact is, if it wasn't for me attending a Taste of Lexus event in Chicago and driving the new Lexu GS350, I probably wouldn't have bought the RL as it wasn't even on my radar screen. I liked the GS350 that I went to look at buying one. Wow, Lexus dealers are the most arrogant people I have ever met. I was so turned off by their "We are better then everyone else approach" and "We are Lexus, how dare you even ask for us to sell below sticker" that I said screw it.

Actually it was a Lexus sales person who pushed me to Acura. The sale rep told me, "You wanna discount, go next door and test drive one of their cars and see why we don't need to discount." I have a Lexus and Acura dealer right next to each other owned by the same owner. As a 04 MDX owner, I thought I would look at the 07 MDX (Don't like it, reminds me of an FX). There is the show room was a white 06 RL. I ended up getting a 06 Lakeshore Silver Metallic a week later
Old 11-03-2006, 08:21 AM
office monkey

I do prefer that the RL is understated as far as that status crap and attention thing goes. I really dont care much to have attention directed my way as I drive. I got enough of it in my last car which was the IS300. I was driving that the week it debuted and got a ton of looks and junk.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:07 AM
Intermediate

Shock & Awe

I work at a small firm. My immediate boss has a Lexus and the owner of the company from another office has a BMW. I have accompanied them both to various destinations. Recently I drove my RL with both of them with me. Wow was the reaction. Between the voice commands, sound system and handling through a few curves, it wouldn't surprise me to see the owner with a new RL very soon.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
I agree with Rob L. I like the fact that the RL doesn't get too much attention. I contemplated getting a Mercedes E-Class, but I'm really glad I have an RL. In "urban environments," for example, I'm glad my car doesn't have the "bling" factor; in fact, I almost WANT passersby to think my RL is an Accord!
Old 11-03-2006, 10:12 AM
7th Gear

I actually traded my '04 E500 for the RL. Mercedes wanted $800 to make the car Bluetooth compatible. $750 to attach the IPod to the stereo. Heated seats were extra, rear sunshade was extra. The RL has a lot more for a lot less money. I also feel much safer about leaving the RL parked without a guard posted to make sure it stays.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Cruisin'

I also bought my RL because it is under the radar. My clients don't want to see me in a bling car. Loved my TL but wanted a more comfortable car. I've only had the car four days and loving it. This weekend will be the first time I'll get to really play with all the toys.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:06 PM
Greedy Capitalist Pig

I was on the market for a Mercedes E350, Lexus GS300 and an Acura RL. I drove all three cars. I had already had an E320 for the past few years.

Apart from the lower price of the RL, I did like the fact that it was underrated. The RL has more features and is more fun to drive than the E350 and GS300 and it costs less. I think of the RL as a sort of hidden secret. And it also seems that smart people seem to buy them.

This is related to my confusion over why people buy BMWs. I've driven the 5, 3 and 7 series. They are all okay cars, but ugly and expensive. They have absolutely no styling to them. And the features and usability are terrible. But for some reason, people keep buying them. BMW is the ultimate poser machine.

True, people do not notice an Acura as much as they notice a Mercedes. But, who cares. I don't drive to be noticed. I drive for MY fun (and to get places). Frankly, I don't want to be noticed. Because that means COPS will notice me. And I don't want that.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:20 PM
Senior Moderator

The driving dynamics of BMWs are definitely not overrated, and that is the main reason people buy them. Nothing else drives like a BMW--I can admit that even as a long-term Honda partisan. However, I don't think a 5-series is $5-10k (comparably equipped to the RL) better than the feature-packed RL.

Originally Posted by aplato
This is related to my confusion over why people buy BMWs. I've driven the 5, 3 and 7 series. They are all okay cars, but ugly and expensive. They have absolutely no styling to them. And the features and usability are terrible. But for some reason, people keep buying them. BMW is the ultimate poser machine.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Greedy Capitalist Pig

Originally Posted by neuronbob
The driving dynamics of BMWs are definitely not overrated, and that is the main reason people buy them. Nothing else drives like a BMW--I can admit that even as a long-term Honda partisan. However, I don't think a 5-series is $5-10k (comparably equipped to the RL) better than the feature-packed RL.
Okay, the driving dynamics of a BMW are good. I'll admit that too. But that's about it. Their cars are ugly, expensive, and cumbersome to us. The Interior of the new 5 series is hideous.

I still think its the ultimate poser machine. People who don't know any better and want to look rich get a BMW.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
That is the reason with why I went with an Acura. It's not so much that it's underrated but I have an anti-snobist sentiment. BMW and MB are nice but I feel that people generally get them for the name. Lexus is the other luxury nameplate I'd consider, Infinities are too sports oriented for my taste and lacking interior lux. When I was in the market for my 05 TL, that year the IS was a POS, C-class MB is a girl car (no offense to anyone), and the 3-series is for poseurs.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I picked the RL for a number of reasons. I happen to like the styling, which is somewhat low key. While it may not scream luxury/elegance, it says "sporty/elegance" to me. It has no bad angles, which is more than I could say about its competition (GS300 and M35).

It is a bit of a wallflower. Someone pulled up after me at a friend's house in their black tinted GS300 with chrome wheels, and it got all the attention while my "poor" RL sat behind it unnoticed. At least I could fit in the RL.....which brings me to my next area:

I'm 5'11" and I found interior comfort of the RL to be better than the competition as well. The RL has a centrally positioned driver's seat, which equates to lots of elbow room and a feeling of spaciousness lacking in the GS, anyway. The M35 was roomy, but the controls and interior quality are just a notch behind the RL. None of those two cars has a driver's seat as comfortable as the RL.

It certainly represented a very good value at the prices they've been going for.

As for the 3 series bashing -- at the beginning of my car search, I drove a lightly used 2003 325 coupe, and I have to say that driving it put a smile on my face almost immediately. It rode and handled very nicely while being quiet and composed. It was almost as if someone merged my departed 95 Legend and 92 Miata in a car blender. It really was a treat to drive in a way that the RL really isn't (though pretty close on a twisty road with SH-AWD doing it's thing).

It could be that some buyers simply pick the car because of the name, but from a driving dynamics standpoint they are getting a nice machine. Of course, they may not realize or appreciate it, but that's the nature of things.

Rob144
Old 11-08-2006, 09:05 AM
Instructor

I liked the look of the RL when I first saw it at the fall car show in 2004, but balked at the $50K price. Bought the TL instead. Recently traded for an RL due to great pricing on the '06s. I think the RL is a beatiful car, however step more than 20 feet away and it starts to looks sort of bland and uninspired. Perhaps part of the reason it photographs so poorly unless very close to the vehicle.

I am one who likes to drive something that I don't see at every corner, however the RL appears to be virtually invisible to the general public. Not sure I want to be that stelthy. By comparison, the TL has styling that reaches out and grabs you. I don't really want that either, but perhaps a little more in that direction.

Bottom line is I did not buy the RL because it is underrated, I bought it because of its value and because when I see it close up every morning, I think it is beautiful.

Bob
Old 11-09-2006, 06:21 AM
5th Gear

Umm, no

I did not think for a minute the RL was underrated. When I came back from Iraq in 2004 I was determined I would buy me a BMW, even if I could not afford one. After shopping around, I realized the RL was the cat's pajamas, so much better than anything out there in the performance/luxury sedan market. I bought my RL in July 05.

All too many of my neighbors stop to tell me how they just love my car. I live in a neighborhood where the average house is worth $500K+, so there are BMWs, Mercedes, Lexus, et. al. aplenty, but my RL is the block darling. I'm used to getting compliments from poeple at the gas station, the drive through, wherever.

In fact, this guy stopped to ask directions in a BMW 7series while me and my neighbor were chatting on the sidewalk last week. As hes driving away, I told my neighbor I wished I had one. She said she liked my car better!

One last thing, if someone gives you lip about being too young for your car, remind them you could be dead tomorrow, why wait? I'm 39, and I don't feel guilty at all for being successful. I started out with $45 bucks in my pocket when I came to the US in 1995, worked real hard to be where I am, and earned everything I have. Anyone who would criticize me for achieving early what took them a lifetime is just jealous and unworthy.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:35 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Saving $8500k off sticker on a $50k car (18%) was a pretty good deal in my mind - especially one as reliable (knock on wood) as my RL.

So if "understated" or "underrated" = "good deal" then I'll take it.

I do wish the car had a bit more prestige and/or sharper looks but I'll take what the RL offers right now.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:27 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm not willing to pay extra money just for a badge. I agree with you.

Dang, that initial review of mine is turning into a book. I hope to be able to post some impressions of this "underrated" car soon. It's been almost two months!
Old 11-15-2006, 05:58 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
very good point. I am 29 and I drive an RL, and no one has ever said anything to me. I haven't gotten any compliments either, though. I guess it's because there are too many expensive cars around where I live.

Originally Posted by LtChemEng
I did not think for a minute the RL was underrated. When I came back from Iraq in 2004 I was determined I would buy me a BMW, even if I could not afford one. After shopping around, I realized the RL was the cat's pajamas, so much better than anything out there in the performance/luxury sedan market. I bought my RL in July 05.

All too many of my neighbors stop to tell me how they just love my car. I live in a neighborhood where the average house is worth $500K+, so there are BMWs, Mercedes, Lexus, et. al. aplenty, but my RL is the block darling. I'm used to getting compliments from poeple at the gas station, the drive through, wherever.

In fact, this guy stopped to ask directions in a BMW 7series while me and my neighbor were chatting on the sidewalk last week. As hes driving away, I told my neighbor I wished I had one. She said she liked my car better!

One last thing, if someone gives you lip about being too young for your car, remind them you could be dead tomorrow, why wait? I'm 39, and I don't feel guilty at all for being successful. I started out with $45 bucks in my pocket when I came to the US in 1995, worked real hard to be where I am, and earned everything I have. Anyone who would criticize me for achieving early what took them a lifetime is just jealous and unworthy.