Another TL Convert

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 09:50 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Smile Another TL Convert

Howdy All,

I was a TL member in a former life, an now returning as another RL convert. I lurked the board long enough to see clearly, the RL crowd is, like the car, is refined.

I also traded from an 05 TL to the RL late last year. I got mine Labor Day weekend and was routing (while lurking) for my favorite brain surgeon to get off the fence and do the same. A couple other's including Miner exchanged messages with me (elsewhere) as to the attributes and comparos of the RL vs. the TL.

I have no regrets, none, nadda. The RL is very refined, as if decidedly not to stand out in any particular manner. Every button, function and driving trait seemed so familar. Almost as if they started with a competitive parameter and then decided to refine it again and again to what felt right regardless of the industry benchmark. I loved my TL, but honestly I was let down with some assembly issues. The beat roads I drive made it difficult to appreciate the TLs agressive suspension tuning. Rattles, buzzes, glovebox and panel gaps, questionable materials, etc, etc. I nearly walked away from Acura.

When I took my TL in for service, I found the RL selling in the low 40s. THAT was enough to give it a try. I nver looked back. I should have some shame as to how quickly I turned over the TLs keys. I did not.

The RL is clearly better assembled and surprises me each drive as to how it feels engineered to my tastes. I think it will wear well, in style and in build. As much as I like the TL's edgey styling, I think the RL will wear better, long term. It may not get so much attention in our fashionably disposable society, but I expect the RL to have good looks in 10 years, where the TL may be passe. Much as a decade+ old Legends still look handsome to me. I guess I am a LL Bean & Lands End type..classic, understated style, quality material and durably reliable.

I took my RL in for my A1 Service last weekend and got a TL loaner. The TL still impresses me. And I can see and feel subtle differences from my 2005 TL. But what surpised me most was that I had forgotten about the driving feel of the TL. It was entertaining for the day, but as it buzzed and rattled on he drive back to the dealer, I was eager for my RL. The TL, though athletic & flashy, felt crude.

One other point I find odd speaks to the RL's identity. Something I know has been discussed here at length. But I have associates in Japan, Europe, South America and down under. They ALL knew imediately what a Honda LEGEND was. They were all impressed with it as a fine, premium automobile. But so few Americans know what an RL is. They know the Acura moniker, but as to which model, it escapes them. I do keep in mind however the RL is not truly an Acura. It is a Honda LEGEND designed for a world market with hopes (dashed) to have higher sales in the US. Although I agee it was heavily weighted into the design, the LEGEND / RL has to be compromised to hold appeal in the global market. And I have seen the threads about sales totals, but global sales, for the one factory producing our RL / LEGEND, cannot be so pitiful for any particular car model assembled at one plant.

I recently returned from a biz trip to Japan. I got to see where it is built and I have to say the RL / LEGEND is highly respected in Japan. It is widely marketed and the adverts depict details of the features and are informative. They sell the car, not as much an image. And I for one think the RL merits much more praise than it has be offered by critics and those who simply tally feature & metric comparos. I feel the RLs merit is achieved as an experience requiring more than a test drive or a flog by an auto critic. In that experience, the RL makes me smile with each drive thinking how many people never considered it and are missing out on one fine automobile.

I, for one, get more stares on my RL than I did which my now so common TL. I like that. And for the 35K I paid for my TL, the RL at <41K is WELL worth it. Upper 40s, I would have cross shopped further, but months later I think 'man, what a deal!'.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Welcome back!

I recently returned from a biz trip to Japan. I got to see where it is built and I have to say the RL / LEGEND is highly respected in Japan. It is widely marketed and the adverts depict details of the features and are informative. They sell the car, not as much an image. And I for one think the RL merits much more praise than it has be offered by critics and those who simply tally feature & metric comparos. I feel the RLs merit is achieved as an experience requiring more than a test drive or a flog by an auto critic. In that experience, the RL makes me smile with each drive thinking how many people never considered it and are missing out on one fine automobile.
This was well-stated. I don't think the execs at Acura understand what a unique car this RL/Legend is. If they did, they would just forgo the "RL" name and call it what it really is, the 5G Legend, made in Japan for those who appreciate fine automobiles, particularly of a Japanese bent. Then they'd market the hell out of it.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Welcome back!

Thanks Bob.

I see there IS intelligent life out here. I thought I would join in. Oh, and that lobotomy you gave me is holding up just fine. You were right, velcro & duct tape does wonders.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:14 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great car.
How many people know and appreciae the aluminium sub frame, alum suspension comps, aero flaps by the brakes, SH-AWD, alum calipers.
This is one hell of a car that normal people have no idea what it is all about.
My review of recently installed A-Spec suspension coming soon, in a word wonderful, Bob, you were right.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:18 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by kirbyflorida
Great car.
How many people know and appreciae the aluminium sub frame, alum suspension comps, aero flaps by the brakes, SH-AWD, alum calipers.
This is one hell of a car that normal people have no idea what it is all about.
My review of recently installed A-Spec suspension coming soon, in a word wonderful, Bob, you were right.
Not to mention the carbon fiber drive shaft
Old 02-28-2007, 02:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
This is an excellent thread! It really lifted my spirits. Welcome to the forum!
Old 02-28-2007, 03:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Treblig
Not to mention the carbon fiber drive shaft
...until the center bearing goes...

LL