Another rattle problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 11:07 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another rattle problem

*I've posted the same thread in Audio section coz maybe I posted on the wrong section. Op please delete if necessary, sorry.*

I've searched in this forum but didn't see anyone having the rattles I have.

1. I have rattle coming from the rear, but this rattle is caused by the bass if music is playing. Is this normal? I've read people having rattle coming from the rear sunshade but I think mine is different. The rattle is definitely caused by the bass, but not sure if it's the subwoofer or the rear sunshade that's causing the rattle. Anyone has this issue and a fix probably?

2. The second rattle is from the gear box. It's like a clicking sound and happens when I accelerate or decelerate, so it's not constant. I pressed around the gear box area and I could hear the rattle exactly the same as when I accelerate/decelerate.

I'm due for my oil change this monday and wonder if I should have the dealer fix them. I don't want them to tear apart and cause more problems. I'm ok with the gearbox rattle, but the rattle caused by the bass is really disappointing. I have the lower the bass when I hear the rattle and thus could not enjoy the full clarity and power of the bass. Any thoughts is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:27 AM
office monkey

do you have the bass level set high? Even if you don't, things will rattle in cars with built in subs when bassy music is played. Oh and if it isnt th sunshade it coud be the girll for the sub or could be the driver and if that si the case I'd suggest decreasing the sub volume and/or bass because it'd most likely mean the sub has reached its limit and is distoring.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 421 Likes on 315 Posts
Not sure if this is your rattle, but I wax my car with the stereo on and the rear license plate holder rattles like crazy. I not sure you can hear in th car, but you might want to check it out.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:27 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the center console / gearbox rattle. I bought these little green felt sticky things by 3M and fixed it myself.

Try pulling up on the center place (grey plastic that surroungs the silver shift gate). Easy way to do this is to open the cup holder and pull up on the cover near the lighter.

Try driving around with the cover half off. If the rattling stops, then try mounting the 3M felt things around each corner near the clips, and 2 or 4 felt things where the plastic touches the silver shift gate. Mount the felt things as low as possible so that it doesnt show once you clip the frame back in place.

For help, check out #5 on this >> https://hondacuraworld.hostasaurus.c...5rlashtray.pdf

Good luck!
Old 01-27-2006, 06:50 PM
Racer

I have rattle coming from rear but not from sunshade, not from subwoofer but from cover around sunshade and speakers (rear console). My dealer fixed this problem 1-st time and for now I am ratle FREE!!
Old 01-28-2006, 12:17 AM
Advanced

Rob L - I didn't set the bass level to high, it was rather about 3 bars after the middle range (less than 3/4 of full bass). When I decrease the bass level, the rattle is gone. I guess I'm going to stick to whatever I have right now and lower the bass when listening to music, rather than have the dealer tear it apart and cause more problem later on.

getakey - I don't have a license plate holder and I think my license plate is pretty tight on the screw and it's not causing any rattle from it.

bkw - Thanks for the info, it's a great help. I will try it later on and see if it works.

slawek65 - I think I will need to isolate where my rattle is coming from in the rear. Do you know what your dealer did to resolve your rattle? I can tell the dealer what needs to be done if my rattle is coming from where you have yours, its easier that way. Thanks.

I guess I will not have the dealer fix anything other than my first oil change. On a different issue, I have XM delay info as well, but I'm not bothered by it and will not have the dealer do anything, I'll leave it as that. I like knowing my car is intact and as is, unless problems are beyond extreme.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:01 AM
Intermediate

Rattle eliminated

I had a noise that came from the rear package shelf. It was sort of a buzzing noise. The dealer was able to duplicate it by lightly tapping on the package shelf and eliminate it. It involved something loose under the shelf which meant the shelf had to be removed. In order to remove it, they needed to break some clips that had to be replaced when it was reinstalled. Don't think this is DIY project! Once this was done, the car has been very quiet.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:44 PM
Advanced

bkw - I've tried removing the center place and was only able to pull up the two clips below (clips near the cup holder). I tried using force to pull up the top two clips but it would't pull up. The two clips I was able to remove was easy, but the top two ones are tough.

And also, can you tell me where exactly did you put the felt stick? I peeked inside to see the clips I was able to remove, but not too sure where to put the felt stick. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:37 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The top two tabs are a bit harder to remove. Take a look at #5 on the .pdf above to remind yourself where the tabs are and how theyre situated. I used a rag (my microfiber duster) and a panel remover to pry the panel out. Please remember to be very careful when prying.

As for the felt tabs, I placed two next to the two top tabs, two on the lower sides (near the corner where the cupholder meets the panel, and the last two near the silver shift plate.

If you still cant visualize this, I'll photoshop something quick.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:24 PM
Advanced

Thanks bkw, I think I know where the felts are situated in your case. I'll probably try fixing it today and will update again, hopefully the rattle will be gone.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:49 PM
Advanced

I've managed to pry open the top two tabs. But I put felt pads on the silver gear shift and not on the ones you mentioned. Then I test drove and the rattle is gone. Thanks so much for your help bkw.