Am I the only one that actually likes how the current RL looks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 03:20 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno, I thought the simplicity and the styling was just right, graceful and subtle with a hint of boldness. Only thing that threw me off was the interior (I guess I was used to growing up with like couple hundred buttons in the center console etc. from all the mercedes and BMW's).
Old 12-02-2007, 06:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
"Am I the only one that actually likes how the current RL looks?"

I don't think you're alone. If we didn't like the way it looked, we probably wouldn't have considered it in the first place. I'm very happy with mine and get compliments all the time.

LL
Old 12-02-2007, 07:35 AM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

To me the RL is almost the perfect car for the money. I do like the exterior and the ride of the Lexus ES UL better. Other than that, the RL wins every catagory.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:09 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love the exterior of the RL. I fell in love with it when I first saw it in sept '04 but already had a 2004 TL so I waited until this year to get a nice low mileage 2005 RL. My only gripe is the lack of trunk space. I went on a day trip yesterday 100 miles from home Christmas shopping and had to take my company car (2006 Impala) because of the large trunk. It's easily 50% larger than the RL!

I get lots of compliments on the RL. People comment to me at gas stations, parking lots, even at toll booths! Of course, most people don't know what it is since Acura really doesn't market the car.

Seems to me, other than advertising sales events, the only vehicles they do market are the MDX a to a lesser extent, the RDX & TL. That's why it seems so funny to me that they bemoan the lack of RL sales yet do nothing to "push" the car. Aesthetically speaking, I think it's one of the most beautiful cars on the market today. I think that virtually all of the Lexi (plural for Lexus?) look alike, from large to small and other than the G37 coupe, I find the Infiniti models to be very boring from a design perspective. I had a bad ownership experience with Nissan products before and could never own another anyway. Been driving Hondas & Acuras since 1991 and the experience has been virtually perfect when it comes to design, reliability, and performance. I've come close to buying BMW's and MB's over the past few years (I had several of each in the 70's and 80's) but the reliability issues scare me away every time.

In general though, I think that the RL is one of the best looking cars out there today.

johnnykuz
Old 12-02-2007, 08:38 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The car has a exterior style that can last years. Its subtle but very refined. I really like the design and have no complaints on why I bought it. Considering the $60K+ you can pay for a BMW 5 or Mercedes E, it also makes me happy that a few extras $$ were left in the wallet.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:58 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
From certain angles it's ho hum.(Direct side view)

But from the front...any angle is sweet!
Old 12-02-2007, 09:31 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ganplosive
I dunno, I thought the simplicity and the styling was just right, graceful and subtle with a hint of boldness. Only thing that threw me off was the interior (I guess I was used to growing up with like couple hundred buttons in the center console etc. from all the mercedes and BMW's).
I love my RL. It's the finest car I've ever owned. The electronics is awesome: Bluetooth, best Navigation system on the planet for a commercial car, HDL, DVD-A, Homelink, heated seats, auto-lights, keyless entry, Triptronic, etc.........

I do like the way our RL looks, but I must admit I find the BMW's, Mercedes, and Jaguars more attractive.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
The RL looks great from any angle except the rear 3/4 view, I think that part of the rear needs reworked a little. From the front, side, and rear, this is a stately yet muscular car. I certainly like it!
Old 12-02-2007, 10:26 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Nah, you're not alone. The RL is a really nicely-styled car, with well-integrated, flowing lines and no "out-of-place" styling elements.

Most cars have at least one thing about them that makes you wince, but I think the RL is a rare exception to that rule. Nothing really sticks out as something that doesn't belong.

I think it's a shape that'll hold up far longer than most.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:55 AM
Cruisin'

I think the RL looks great - elegant and understated, would be the description I'd use.

My wife works for a US federal govt. agency - she wanted to drive a nice, well equipped (luxurious) and competent (sporty) car that did not bring attention to itself (the latter being a key requirement, indeed). The RL satisfies these functional requirements in full.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I think the RL is a beautiful car. The first time I saw a picture of the production 2005 RL I knew I would buy one. I agree that there may be an angle where the car looks a little generic but I think the car looks donwright aggressive when viewed straight-on from the front. I absolutely love the front grill. I think adding the rear lip spoiler totally changes the view of the rear end - I had it on my 05 and will add it to the 06 right after I add the steering wheel and rear camera.

The car is also stealth enough that cops hardly ever give it a 2nd look as well.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Intermediate

Like lland said. We would never consider it in the first place. I just got my RL and I love it! Its not like i dislike BMW, Lexus or MB's, its I see many of them around. Its also Honda/Acura most luxuriest car right now. The look will last us for years.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Asian07RL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lumpulus
From certain angles it's ho hum.(Direct side view)

But from the front...any angle is sweet!
100% agree.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:10 AM
Asian07RL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AsianTL
100% agree.

If you have after market 18" wheels, it will enhance the side view a little bit better.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

I for one, really like the 3/4 view.

When you compare the dimensions between the GS350 and the Infiniti M these cars are within fractions of an inch in most dimensions - including the trunk volume but they really appear a lot different in size because of some of the proportions.

I cant get over how unappealing the side view on the Infiniti M is, even with the 2008 "restyle" it's so porky looking. The GS looks so milquetoast, maybe because there are so many of them. Like Mike_TX said - the RL does not have anything out of place and that makes it blend nicely and I also agree that it will age gracefully.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:52 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by F.Rizzo
I for one, really like the 3/4 view.
Yeah, Bob - what the hell's wrong with the 3/4 view?

Old 12-02-2007, 07:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,431 Posts
IMO, the RL looks good if you want a car that looks much more subtle, but with a dash of sportiness and a few shakes of luxury. The RL's headlights are very nice, but the front end needs to be a little more aggressive, esp. the hood line. The area behind the rear-windows needs to be reworked, to flow better with the car a bit. The rear of the car is a bit to simple, the tails are beautiful with their array of LED's shown. Overall, the RL is a good looking car, but it needs some reworking to stay afloat, acura stuck a bit too much to the older RL's lines.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Retired and Loving It

I really don't notice the RL much when it's parked in the garage. But when I see my wife back it out of the garage and drive down the street I realize what a beautiful car it is. Wide stance and beautiful lines. BTW, if you don't like the rear 3/4 view, get the OEM spoiler, it makes a lot of difference.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I love the front, rear could use some work.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:09 PM
Instructor

It's just that the MMC that the dealers have been talking about that got me wondering what exactly it is that the dealers want changed. Numerous reports stated that it's not "aggressive or bold" enough, and that it's not "in your face" but looking at the RL's competitiors i.e GS, 5 series, etc. isn't it a good thing that it's more subtle? It's so graceful and yet with the right modifications (I've seen the SPOON RL) this car is downright attractive from head to toe. I'm too young to be in a RL but if I were 5-6 years older I'd be in one in a second. Maybe a 3G RL...
Old 12-02-2007, 11:17 PM
Instructor

BTW I meant for this question to be directed towards ones who are boarder line getting one but decided not to because of looks / exterior etc. Those of you whom have one, I didn't mean to question you guys' choice ahah
Old 12-02-2007, 11:17 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Love the look of the RL. It's like a cross between an E-class and S-class Mercedes, but more integrated. Beautiful, classy, substantial and subtle design that will outlast practically all others. And my favorite view is the rear 3/4 view (that should be rather obvious because it reminds me of a beautiful woman's, er, ah, oh never mind...).

Every time I see another RL on the road it takes my breath away. Don't know what those dealers are complaining about.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Yeah, Bob - what the hell's wrong with the 3/4 view?

The butt sags a little. e.g. the character line on the rear quarter panel should be reshaped a little. It's a minor detail as in all other angles the car is rather attractive.

Hey Ganplosive, we don't feel like you questioned our faith. Like any car, the looks are pretty much a "like it" or "leave it" proposition, and we here for the most part like it as you do.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:42 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Beautiful car. It begs a second look everytime I park it.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I think the car looks good from almost any angle. At first glance, it is a somewhat conventional shape, but when you look at it you see how tightly wrapped the body is.

I even like the 3/4 view -- kind of sets the style of a car leaning forward on its haunches. It all works to my eyes. I'd like to be able to have a fully chromed grille on my Silver RL, just to set it apart.

Like most Honda designs, I expect it to age well and still look good 10+ years from now.

Rob144
Old 12-03-2007, 12:27 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised by all the love of the RL body, but it is an RL forum. It seems the refresh is hoping to address 'complaints' about the small size and styling. The front is nice, the overall stance is very good, the rear is lesser. Personally I like the smaller size of the car, as I don't need a large sedan. I'm a coupe lover so most sedan styling can't win me over anyway.

A dramatic improvement happens with aftermarket rims. The stock rims really dull the sophistication of the car. The local dealer's service manager has an 05 Lakeshore with non-stock rims that really alter the entire look of the car, better than the A-specs, not sure of the rim brand.
I hate the stock rims! Acura always uses cheesy cheap rims but on a $50k car it deserves better or at least, more options.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:49 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by neuronbob
The butt sags a little.
So does mine, so I guess I consider that a "character line".

Old 12-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Senior Moderator

So does mine, so I guess I consider that a "character line".

Old 12-04-2007, 08:28 AM
B A N N E D

Old 12-04-2007, 09:02 AM
B A N N E D

car looks great - a little bland to the new observer, but it definitely takes shape the more you look at it.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
It finally dawned on me that the RL is like a fine, tailored suit. At first, it might look like any other suit you could find, but once you experience the comfortable fit and fine details you grow to appreciate the investment.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:15 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by Rob144
It finally dawned on me that the RL is like a fine, tailored suit. At first, it might look like any other suit you could find, but once you experience the [urlx="#"]comfortable[/urlx] fit and fine details you grow to appreciate the investment.
Rob - look at the text of your post above (which I've disabled by adding "x" to "url"). I've noticed before that some of the terms in your posts are hyperlinks that lead nowhere (as in the word "comfortable" above), and I see that they are indeed null links.

I've always been puzzled as to why this happens. Any ideas, or is this something you do for effect?

Old 12-04-2007, 01:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Rob - look at the text of your post above (which I've disabled by adding "x" to "url"). I've noticed before that some of the terms in your posts are hyperlinks that lead nowhere (as in the word "comfortable" above), and I see that they are indeed null links.

I've always been puzzled as to why this happens. Any ideas, or is this something you do for effect?

It's not Rob's fault. It's an advertising service. The hyperlink is supposed to show you a small ad, which you can click. It can be disabled, but when disabled there are errors like the one you noted above. Aggravating, really.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:34 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by neuronbob
It's not Rob's fault. It's an advertising service. The hyperlink is supposed to show you a small ad, which you can click. It can be disabled, but when disabled there are errors like the one you noted above. Aggravating, really.
Ah, so it's a result of the intellitext ads that I've disabled. If it had been keywords like Acura or brakes or wheels, etc., I would have caught on, but "comfortable"? Sheesh. And it shows up only in the posts of a couple of the members here - dwboston's and Rob's, mainly.

Errors are odd things, huh. Wonder if it has something to do with their OS, or some other peculiarity? (Sorry to go OT, but this has always puzzled me.)

Old 12-04-2007, 09:07 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Treblig
Beautiful car. It begs a second look everytime I park it.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Love the "smiley face" front end. Wish the optional spoiler was standard. Wheels are less than you would expect on a $49K car. Yes, the car has a classic shape, but time to move into the 21st Century with a more daring design.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:35 AM
Intermediate

Funny that this thread is here.

I haven't visited this forum in a few months after I bought an M5 instead of an RL, but decided to stop by after seeing a white RL and thinking to myself that the car still looks really good. I always loved the styling of the RL. Now I'm thinking of buying a used one as a second commuter car.

Another one know a good used one for sale?
Old 12-05-2007, 03:23 AM
Instructor

I love the looks of the RL but more important is that my wife does too. When I first talked about looking at an RL, my wife immediately ruled out Acuras. We test drove a first gen RL a few years back and she thought the car looked very ho hum and generic.

Before we bought this car we were in an Audi dealer having yet another repair done to the A6. My wife and I walked around several dealers to kill time and walked into an Acura lot although she didn't realize we were looking at Acuras. She saw the RL from the outside and commented what a beautiful car this was, then we checked out the interior and she fell in love with the car. She asked what kind of car is this to which I snickered and replied an ACURA RL. Yes it felt good.

I of course loved the drive and everything mechanical about it and the rest is history.

BTW she still comments weekly what a beautfiul car the RL is. I comment on what a beautiful driving machine this is.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:05 AM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Originally Posted by poncekim
Funny that this thread is here.

I haven't visited this forum in a few months after I bought an M5 instead of an RL, but decided to stop by after seeing a white RL and thinking to myself that the car still looks really good. I always loved the styling of the RL. Now I'm thinking of buying a used one as a second commuter car.

Another one know a good used one for sale?
I too like the M5. But Its pricing is truely out of my market. Interesting comparison...you bought a car costing almost twice as much.

Are you happy with the M5...is it what you were expecting...what color M5 did you get...if you drove the RL, I am interested in your comparison.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by larrynimmo
I too like the M5. But Its pricing is truely out of my market. Interesting comparison...you bought a car costing almost twice as much.

Are you happy with the M5...is it what you were expecting...what color M5 did you get...if you drove the RL, I am interested in your comparison.
Well, there's really no comparison, and there shouldn't be. M5 is a beast and I still love driving it everyday. It's made me do alot of stupid things I shouldn't be doing. I love the car and I have zero regrets. Only reason I got the M5 was because BMW was running a lease special on the remaining 07s. I basically got a 100k car for 1100/month (no money down) for 3 years and 12K miles. Compare that to leasing an RL, and it was a bargain I just couldn't pass up. I've said it before on this forum, but if you like new cars every 3-4 years, leasing BMWs aren't as expensive as the MSRP would suggest.

I test drove the RL, and while I love the styling, it lacks power and the steering isn't as tight. After driving hondas and toyotas all my life, I've come to appreciate the "german" handling and feel you can't get with japanese cars. I hate idrive and miss the TL nav. There's no comparison. My commute as doubled to 40 miles each way, so I really need a nice comfortable cruiser, and thats why I'm considering an RL.

Quick Reply: Am I the only one that actually likes how the current RL looks?