Am I crazy? Trading RL for an RDX.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 08:43 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I crazy? Trading RL for an RDX.

Ok I posted this over on the RDX forum: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876 but I wanted to get the RL owners oppinion.

I enjoy the RL, but I really like the looks and the utility of the RDX. So with that, what are peoples thoughts? Is the RDX going to compromise on the technology and gadgetry that the RL has? The RDX seems to be more finished along the lines of the TSX, which actually might be ok with me as I find the leather in the RL so-so. However, I really love all the gadgets the RL has and the decent power and agility, will I lose this in the RDX?

I have to say I got my RL in gold and have never really been fond of it -- not to mention it's not the greatest riding car. I'm not looking for all out performance in a dd, but something that is comfy, somewhat upscale (I don't want to scream anything like with a benz or bimmer), and has all the gadgetry of my RL -- plus the added utility of a mini-SUV.

For my go-fast car I have a 505hp Z06, so sedate and practical is ok by me!
Old 01-19-2007, 08:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
The purpose of the RDX is to be a sporty car with some utility. I think it largely succeeds in that regard. The purpose of the RL is to be a luxury car with some sport. I think it largely succeeds in that regard. The tech is similar; it makes sense when you consider that the tech in the new RDX was tested in the RL first (SH-AWD, MID, new navi system for starters).

I think you are giving up luxury for sport, but that's OK, everyone's needs change. At least you're staying in the Acura family.

EDIT: there are quite a few features not in the RDX that are in the RL, and you have to decide whether you want to give them up.

As far a being "soul-less", there are some mods you can make to change that.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just drove an RDX as a loaner for a few days and I could not get used to it. My wife drives an 06 Murano and I like that better. The turbo has way too much lag, even though it makes the RDX jump off the line. It also has all the gadgets of the RL but some of the locations are awkward and impractical, ie cd/dvd changer, a/c controls, etc. This one had the rearview cam and the quality/viewing angle made it really hard to see.

Just my 0.02.

Good luck!
Old 01-19-2007, 09:01 PM
Racer

To answer the question part of your post.....yes.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jfprl
Old 01-19-2007, 09:13 PM
Instructor

Thanks gents!

Just to expand a bit on the "soul-less" statement: there is not one thing on the RL that I find infuriating or even out of place. The car just functions, and everything you want is where you expect it. However, it's just a sort of characterless car. Really, just a great practical mode of transpo -- but it's not something that gets me to feel passion or my heart racing. But that's ok in my book.

I plan on driving an RDX this weekend. I have read that in a few reviews that the turbo is no linear and there is some lag -- not to mention this is a 4cyl motor lugging around a 4K lbs car! So I'll have to see how I like driving it. For me one of the biggest considerations, of course, is the size and ability to carry stuff that a mini-suv offers (the RL has a great trunk, but it's not like I can haul furniture in it).

Although I do feel the RL is slightly underpowered, it really can move and the awd really keeps it very well footed.

It will be interesting to see if the interior of the RDX is more utility and less luxo (I honestly never really see the RL has a luxo car).

Please throw some more oppinions on the fire here -- interested what people think.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jfprl
You sound like the guy in 4th grade who would giggle when the teacher mentioned sperm whale.

It's all good in the hood tho!
Old 01-19-2007, 10:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I kind of went in the opposite direction...

I had originally planned on buying an RDX and went to the dealer with every intention of doing so. My salesman was pretty busy so he threw me the "key" and told me to come back later. The relativley long test drive convinced me that the RDX was not for me.

The engine, while strong, sounded strained. I didn't like the lack of memory seats or auto headlights. The back seat was very uncomfortable and the folding mechanism seemed extremely cheap. The ride was a little to "sporty" for me...harsh and jittery.

I would have looked at a TL but wanted AWD and would have bought an '07 MDX (took it for a long test drive and loved it) but I already have an '04 which I will probalby trade for a new MDX within a year or two.

This left the RL. It had just about everything I wanted (and a lot more), drove well, looked good, was quiet and comfortable, and since it was the last '06 on the lot, I got a good deal as well as a fair deal on my trade-in.

I wouldn't tell you not to get an RDX, but take it for a good, long drive before you decide.

LL
Old 01-19-2007, 10:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lland
I kind of went in the opposite direction...

I had originally planned on buying an RDX and went to the dealer with every intention of doing so. My salesman was pretty busy so he threw me the "key" and told me to come back later. The relativley long test drive convinced me that the RDX was not for me.

The engine, while strong, sounded strained. I didn't like the lack of memory seats or auto headlights. The back seat was very uncomfortable and the folding mechanism seemed extremely cheap. The ride was a little to "sporty" for me...harsh and jittery.

I would have looked at a TL but wanted AWD and would have bought an '07 MDX (took it for a long test drive and loved it) but I already have an '04 which I will probalby trade for a new MDX within a year or two.

This left the RL. It had just about everything I wanted (and a lot more), drove well, looked good, was quiet and comfortable, and since it was the last '06 on the lot, I got a good deal as well as a fair deal on my trade-in.

I wouldn't tell you not to get an RDX, but take it for a good, long drive before you decide.

LL
Thank you LL! I drove a TSX loaner while my RL was in for service and really hated it. The car felt cheap and although more nimble, too darty. I was shocked with what a difference the TSX was to my RL. So in that vain I am keeping an open mind.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Nabbs
Thanks gents!

Just to expand a bit on the "soul-less" statement: there is not one thing on the RL that I find infuriating or even out of place. The car just functions, and everything you want is where you expect it. However, it's just a sort of characterless car. Really, just a great practical mode of transpo -- but it's not something that gets me to feel passion or my heart racing. But that's ok in my book.

Although I do feel the RL is slightly underpowered, it really can move and the awd really keeps it very well footed.

Tint and A-Spec wheels, I have discovered, will give the car a better personality. Driving dynamics improve with a modded suspension. It will put some fun into your daily driver, which is why I did it.

I disagree that the car is underpowered. A little more torque lower in the power band would be nice....eve so, the power is high up in the power band, like in all Honda and Acura products, so you have to mash the pedal to get it. I like the "butch" sound of the engine, so I don't mind doing it. If you really want a little more power, you can try Touge's modified AEM TL intake.

All these changes are cheaper than a new car, but being a fickle person myself when it comes to cars, I can't complain!
Old 01-20-2007, 07:55 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Speaking of power. As I mentioned in my thread about the door dimple, I'm driving a new MDX while they're replacing my door handle.

Even with the few increased ponies the MDX does not seem stronger than the RL at all!
Old 01-20-2007, 08:58 AM
Instructor

Bob -- I have no interest in modding my dd, which the RL is. I've done that enough with other cars. Anyway my complaint isn't really the RLs performance, it's just never going to be an exciting car to drive. Yet, I love it! It's comfortable, quiet, and very sure-footed. To me it's a great sedan. Sometimes predictable and reliable trumps everything else.

When I feel the need to drive something fast (and the weather is compliant) I hop into this:

If the RDX does not meet our expectation, I'll hang onto the RL for another year or so (might look at an S4 down the line).
Old 01-20-2007, 09:54 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
I'm still scratching my head over a Z06 owner saying his RL doesn't have the greatest ride.

After getting out of a Z06, you'd think anything would feel like it rode good!
Old 01-20-2007, 10:00 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What do you do to have a $50K Acura and a Z06 at 30 years old??

By the way, your Z06 is gorgeous and I would keep the RL for another year or two. I'm not the biggest fan of the RDX.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Sclass88
What do you do to have a $50K Acura and a Z06 at 30 years old??

Im not sure what the guy does for a living, but I obviously need a career change !
Old 01-20-2007, 12:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Z06...... .....Z06.......too bad I have to pay student loans and save for baby neuronbob's private school.....
Old 01-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Instructor

2nd Z06 -- first one was an 03. How do I do it? You know the old saying: how do you make a small fortune? Start with a large one.

I run a small government contracting firm. Hence the reason I love the RL -- it's a low-key car. If I pull into the company parking lot with an uber-Benz I'm sure I'd raise more then a few eye-brows. I like to be conservative like that. The Z is not something I would ever bring to work! I might as well tell everyone I wipe my ass with $100 bills and then mention they're not getting a raise.

Mike is right about the Z: it's an exhausting car to drive! I love it, but if you're not careful and attentative 100% of the time you can get yourself in some serious trouble. Anyway, I don't want to hijack my own thread but if you want to read about the Z, here are a couple of posts on some of my exploits (with pix):

New Years Eve: http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104825
Christmass Eve: http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104669

Ok, I'm about to take the RL down to the dealer and I'm bringing the title! I'll let you guys know what happens.

-N
Old 01-21-2007, 03:42 PM
Instructor

Ok, just to keep anyone following this thread up to speed:

I just signed for an '07 RDX w/ Tech for $34,500 with the value of my RL set at $33,500. So drive-off out-of-pocket cost for me is $1,219.75.

Hopefully the car will be here by the end of the week, and I'll trade in my RL.

-N
Old 01-21-2007, 07:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Ok, just to keep anyone following this thread up to speed:

I just signed for an '07 RDX w/ Tech for $34,500 with the value of my RL set at $33,500. So drive-off out-of-pocket cost for me is $1,219.75.

Hopefully the car will be here by the end of the week, and I'll trade in my RL.

-N
You got a fair deal on the RDX. Congrats! Not a bad trade value on the 2005 RL, either.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Racer

how many miles were on the RL? Just curious b/c of your trade number.

PS. I had some fun w/ one of the C6 Z06's in this car:

I couldn't win of course, but I hung better than I expected. Those Z06's are monsters.

Do you track it much? (DE's and such, not drag strips... drag racing is ghey) lol
Old 01-21-2007, 09:43 PM
No, you are a dork.

Originally Posted by Scott in Houston

Those Z06's are monsters.
Yeah, but M5's look sweeter.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:48 AM
Instructor

Scott -- I picked my RL last year as a left-over 05, I actually checked my sales receipt and I paid like 43K for it (Acura was offering $5K cash-back on 05s) -- so that means I lost $9K in depreciation on a 2 year-old car with 10,720 miles on it.

The first day I got the Z, I ran into an M5 on the Interstate. Suffice to say I put about 20 car lengths on him from a rolling start in 2nd gear. The Z06 is just a very very fast car! It goes 65mph in 1st gear, and has so much torque that you can break the tires loose in almost any gear.

Unfortunately, the Z is not the best street car. The massive tires track uneven ground and the runflats provide very poor wet and cold traction. Not to mention that the massive hp can get you into some serious trouble if you are too eager with the throttle.

I am already signed up for a DE with PDA at Lime Rock Park this April.

The M5 is a beautiful and extremely fast car, and I hope you enjoys your in good health.

-N
Old 01-22-2007, 08:34 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Back on topic...I have BOTH an RL and an RDX...well, I have the RL and my G/F has the RDX.

I was originally going to buy an RDX, but my G/F went with me on the test drive and said "I want one of these" after, and I had been bugging her about trading in her 98 Accord for quite some time. She loves it, and so do I....I actually can get a better driving postion in the RDX(I'm 6'8", 250) than the RL.

When we go anywhere together, we take the RL unless we're going someplace "dirty"
Old 01-22-2007, 08:35 AM
Alpha Geek

Originally Posted by yahtzee
Yeah, but M5's look sweeter.
Word to that!
Old 01-22-2007, 09:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
If you're comparing the seats to a TSX, I would pass on that alone. RL seats>TSX.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:32 AM
Instructor

We could debate the M5 vs. the Z06 to death. The Z is a sportscar while the M5 is a passenger sedan -- and looks are absolutely subjective. I will say this: the Z06 is one of most exotic looking American sportscars short of the Ford GT. While an M5 may be confused for a standard 5-series, the Z turns heads left and right. I have some pictures of my Z and a new 430, and I can tell you that both recieved equally attention by the tourists in Times Square and on Wall Street.

The RDX does feel more like a TSX (which I never liked), but the seats and interior are about on par with the RL (save for the lack of memory or power pax seat). Again, the RL is a great car, I'm just really into the utility of the RDX. Not to mention the RDX is actually *shorter* then the RL and even the TSX! This is huge for me as I live in Manhattan, where space is a premium (even in my garage). Unlike the RL it is not as smooth, nor is the power linear. The 4cyl definately feels a little sluggish till the boost comes on, while the RL really accelerates quite nicely off the line. I launch the RL with one foot on the gas and the other on the brake, once the motor is at about 2K RPM, I let go of the brake and the RL takes off like a shot (the AWD will not let the tires spin)! I tried this in the RDX, and while it hooked, it's power was noticably less then the RL (the RL and RDX are similar weight and torque) -- so the power is definately less then the RL. At the end of the day I doubt many new buyers are going to consider the RL or the RDX since they are at least 14K apart in price new.

However, life is short and I plan to drive and own as many cars as I can.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Alpha Geek

No offense, but if a Ferrari was next to a Corvette somewhere where I could look at both, I wouldn't even notice the Vette.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:39 AM
Alpha Geek

At the end of the day I doubt many new buyers are going to consider the RL or the RDX since they are at least 14K apart in price new.

My G/F paid $37k for her RDX Tech, I paid $41k for my 06. Both were new.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:49 AM
Racer

That isn't too bad of depreciation on the RL. Nice!

Last comment on the hijacked portion... I never expected the M5 to be a sports car. Porsche and Lotus have filled that void for me, but neither are as fast as that Z06. For some reason though, I just can't do Chevy... even that car. No logicial reason why... it's just pure emotion.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scott in Houston
That isn't too bad of depreciation on the RL. Nice!

Last comment on the hijacked portion... I never expected the M5 to be a sports car. Porsche and Lotus have filled that void for me, but neither are as fast as that Z06. For some reason though, I just can't do Chevy... even that car. No logicial reason why... it's just pure emotion.
Hey Scott -- Don't mind the hijack; love to talk cars! I must say you are not alone in your assesment of the Corvette. Chevrolet did a good job of stealing a fair share of European sports car buyers (as well as even making a strong showing in Europe), but the Corvette is by no means on par with the materials used in the interior of a Porsche. However, it has some very impressive comfort and utility features (nav, heads-up display, dual climate, etc).

The Porsche Turbo is a great car -- and one that is considerably more drivable then the Z. Despite the performance and better interior material, just as you feel about the Z, I have never been able to feel passion about a Turbo (maybe its because I see more 997TTs then I do Z06s?).

Right now I have to say that I am absolutely in love with the Aston Martins -- they are beautiful! Hopefully if the stars and planets align right, one day I will pick one up.

Just as a final aside: my Z06 does not say Chevrolet anywhere it is, in fact, a Corvette Z06.

-N
Old 01-22-2007, 01:07 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I had a 07 RDX loaner while getting my RL detailed at the dealer. While it was OK, it was not at all on a par with the RL in quality of materials, ride, noise, or handling. I suspect the MDX is more comparable.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:35 PM
Banned

Ok I posted this over on the RDX forum: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876 but I wanted to get the RL owners oppinion.

I enjoy the RL, but I really like the looks and the utility of the RDX. So with that, what are peoples thoughts? Is the RDX going to compromise on the technology and gadgetry that the RL has? The RDX seems to be more finished along the lines of the TSX, which actually might be ok with me as I find the leather in the RL so-so. However, I really love all the gadgets the RL has and the decent power and agility, will I lose this in the RDX?

I have to say I got my RL in gold and have never really been fond of it -- not to mention it's not the greatest riding car. I'm not looking for all out performance in a dd, but something that is comfy, somewhat upscale (I don't want to scream anything like with a benz or bimmer), and has all the gadgetry of my RL -- plus the added utility of a mini-SUV.

For my go-fast car I have a 505hp Z06, so sedate and practical is ok by me!
Are you crazy? Absolutely! Get the 07 TL. $32,000 for a four-cylinder SUV???...and might I add a ugly SUV! Go with the 07 TL base or even the Type S. Besides the TL will smoke a RDX anyday, both base and type S.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TriniBwoy
Are you crazy? Absolutely! Get the 07 TL. $32,000 for a four-cylinder SUV???...and might I add a ugly SUV! Go with the 07 TL base or even the Type S. Besides the TL will smoke a RDX anyday, both base and type S.
I'm not looking for another sedan right now. Furthermore, I'm a cash kinda guy, so I'm not looking to minimize monthly payments by getting a "cheaper" car. Additionally, I like nav, XM, hids, etc. As such, I would see going to a TL as a backwards slide for me. Not to mention that AWD is a requirement for me.

Basically I am looking for something with a little more space then the RL. Unfortunately, the MDX is too big for my city dwelling, so it is out. The only vehicles that meet my requirement are the RDX, X3, CX-7, CRV, LR3, and some of the smaller suvs. The problem is that they are either to minimalist (I don't want a CRV or CX-7) or they are just too big! The only other runner-up was the X3 but a stripper version invoices a few grand over what I am paying for a fully-loaded RDX.

The second dealer called and offered 33,750 for my RL and 34,500 for the RDX making my out-of-pocket expense slightly under a grand. So for 1K I'm going from an 05 to an 07.

I know this is going to go over like a fart in a church saying I'm backing out of an RL to something else. I just really want something that is more useful for my life -- the RL just isn't what I need right now. Since my Z06 is completely impractical, my dd has to be pretty flexible.

-N
Old 01-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Racer

Nabbs, I'm a mod at 6speedonline where I do most of my talking about my "fun" cars.

I wasn't a turbo guy either until I got the 996TT. I don't really have a desire to part with the money they want for the 997TT. I was disapointed that it wasn't more of an improvement over the 996. It's awesome, but not enough more-so to get into it.

My little Elise gives me the NA fun, but just not the horses. It's sure a blast to drive though.

Cars are great! I just wish I hated them. I'd probably retire a lot sooner if I did.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by kmcheney
I had a 07 RDX loaner while getting my RL detailed at the dealer. While it was OK, it was not at all on a par with the RL in quality of materials, ride, noise, or handling. I suspect the MDX is more comparable.
Had an 07 black RDX loaner when my oil was being changed on the RL last month. I felt the interior quality of the RDX was much cheaper than the RL and the turbo lag was annoying, especially since I do a lot of stop and go driving. I feel that the RL picks up quite nicely from a stopped position and has smooth acceleration up to 30-35 mph. I also felt that the interior layout of controls and the dashboard were not on par with the RL. RL just seems a lot more "luxurious" and at the end of the day I was happy to jump back in to my baby.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Intermediate

Drove an RDX for two days and was not pleased with it. I'm not saying it's a bad vehicle, but it did not seem like an Acura. The engine was outrageously loud at any driving speed, the response didn't seem at all smooth, the fit and finish seemed spartan at best, and overall I found it less comfortable and engaging than even a Nissan Murano. The only thing it had going for it was a sound system that could rival the RL's; otherwise, I found nothing to convince me I'd ever want to own one.

Your mileage may vary, of course!
Old 01-29-2007, 03:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by cliffbig
Drove an RDX for two days and was not pleased with it. I'm not saying it's a bad vehicle, but it did not seem like an Acura. The engine was outrageously loud at any driving speed, the response didn't seem at all smooth, the fit and finish seemed spartan at best, and overall I found it less comfortable and engaging than even a Nissan Murano. The only thing it had going for it was a sound system that could rival the RL's; otherwise, I found nothing to convince me I'd ever want to own one.

Your mileage may vary, of course!
When I test drove the RDX, I was impressed with the 4 cyc. engine. I liked it for what is what intended for. I did not find the RDX audio system ho be anywhere near the quailty of the RL. I could tell its amps had much less power than the RL. As I have said in many threads, I have only found the Audi 8 to have a better sound system than the RL.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:06 PM
Retired and Loving It

When the RDX came out I went down to look at them. None had power seat on passengers side. Salesman said it wasn't an option. Manuel passangers seat on RDX, can anyone confirm this? I looked at Acura.com and all they mention is the 10 way power drivers seat! I can't believe Acura could build a performance SUV and not provide the passanger a power seat.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:32 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ernie Golfs
When the RDX came out I went down to look at them. None had power seat on passengers side. Salesman said it wasn't an option. Manuel passangers seat on RDX, can anyone confirm this? I looked at Acura.com and all they mention is the 10 way power drivers seat! I can't believe Acura could build a performance SUV and not provide the passanger a power seat.
Yes, no power seat on the pax side. I agree with you, absolutely outrageous to build an Acura with neither memory nor power pax seat!

dwest -- actually I find the audio system in the RDX is on-par to the RL. The RL has great sound and excellent clarity, as does the RDX. Furthermore the RDX can play DVD-As, which I am not sure the RL can handle? Regardless, both the RL and RDX are hampered by the fact that neither has good setup for an iPod. This is the only major thing missing from the Acura line-up.

Well I picked up the new RDX last night and dropped off the old RL! If anybody is looking for a deal on an 05 RL, they have a gold one on the lot of Curry Acura

I have pix and a write-up comparing the RDX to the RL here: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=933

Definately two very different cars, and not anywhere in the same class. The RDX is just alot more fun to drive. Yes it is slower, yes it doesn't brake as well -- but it's more agile and smaller. Since 90% of the time I am driving by myself, the RDX is much more suited to my needs then the RL was.

-N
Old 01-30-2007, 09:49 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
dwest -- actually I find the audio system in the RDX is on-par to the RL. The RL has great sound and excellent clarity, as does the RDX. Furthermore the RDX can play DVD-As, which I am not sure the RL can handle?
-N
Definitely does handle DVD-A. Have several in my changer.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy? Trading RL for an RDX.