Advice Please!! Paint Or don't Paint!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 12:55 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Advice Please!! Paint Or don't Paint!

Hi everyone,

I need some advice, I bought my RL about 2 months ago and love it but there are a few things that bother me, the previous owner has scraped the bottom of the front bumper (probably on a few curbs or somethin of that nature) and it is a little out of alignment with the fenders, nothing too noticable but I can tell. Also I'm not sure about your cars but my front bumper, fenders and hood seem to chip pretty easily I'm always touching them up.

I plan to put a new A-spec package on the car by the end of the year so my question is since my A-spec Package will be newly painted do you think I should get my front bumper, hood and fenders painted as well? One other reason I want to paint my hood is becuase I want to get the 3M paint protection film put on don't see the point putting it on now with the stone chips there.
One other concern I have is my colour is the Pearl White, I've been told that they will be able to match the colour as close as 95% which to me isn't that bad, can anyone atest to this?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 04-06-2008, 08:56 AM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I, personally, would live with the stone chips rather than risk getting a paint job that isn't close to the factory one. Especially one that's pearl, in my experience few body shops do that right.

Plus, when it's resale time, any dealer will be able to tell that the front end has been painted.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Racer

Don'tt get the hood, fender, bumper repainted unless you want to have a hit on value at time of trade-in or resale.

If those parts are repainted, no matter what you say, people will have a hard time believing it was repainted because you wanted to put on the 3M protection film..

My
Old 04-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Asian07RL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with both of you.
You can install the front A Spec underbody to cover bottom front bumper scratches.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

DO NOT PAINT a WHITE PREMIUM PEARL RL if you can help it. My White RL was in a serious rear end collision last winter and they ended up having to paint the entire car (except the roof) because the color just wouldn't match. They did an excellent job with the paint, but the paint thickness is now about 9microns instead of the factory 4-5, and all car dealers use those digital paint thickness depth gauges so they will know it was repainted if you ever trade it in.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Agree with no repainting because of the digital gauge issue.

Why does my NBP RL's hood look like it's been sandblasted after a mere 15 months? Guess everyone else's does too, unless they were smart like Neuronbob and put on the clear bra. I keep mine waxed, to no avail.

Our paint stinks.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Asian07RL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2007AcuraRL
DO NOT PAINT a WHITE PREMIUM PEARL RL if you can help it. My White RL was in a serious rear end collision last winter and they ended up having to paint the entire car (except the roof) because the color just wouldn't match. They did an excellent job with the paint, but the paint thickness is now about 9microns instead of the factory 4-5, and all car dealers use those digital paint thickness depth gauges so they will know it was repainted if you ever trade it in.
I guess that the shop did not strip the old paint to the primer and applied the new paint over the existing one with just slightly sanding. That is why the new paint thickness is 9 microns