Acura TL Total Engine Failure!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 05:10 AM
3.2 VTEC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Acura TL Total Engine Failure!!!!!!

Old 06-27-2008, 05:11 AM
3.2 VTEC

Out of nowhere, with no previous symptoms...my TL started to die out on the freeway. No Check Engine light or any other warning of a malfunction came on, as i was slowing down for traffic i pushed in the clutch and started slowing down...instead of the engine going to idle it shut off...i was completely surprised and shocked, i tried restarting the engine but it would only crank and would not start on it's own.

Luckily i had some speed and restarted it manually in 3rd gear, but i was giving it full throttle and nothing happend...seemed like i had ran out of gas. I downshifted to 2nd and got the engine above 3000 rpm...it suddenly sprung to life and started pulling hard...I had to let off because of the traffic ahead, and when i did it dipped blow 3k and stalled again. I still had speed so i managed to restart it manually again, but not for long...traffic quickly became worse and i had to make close to a complete stop and i didn't have enough speed to restart the engine again, neither could i get off the freeway because there was too much traffic.

So i was stuck in the middle lane of the freeway, i got out and went to the shoulder incase someone rear ends it...luckily a cop showed up quickly and blocked a lane so i can push it off the freeway. I called Acura Roadside Assistance and a tow truck came within an hour.

When i got to the dealership they changed my battery and tried starting it again with no luck. Those ***hats claimed they had no loaner at the time and told me to eather rent a car or figure it out...so i was stuck there with no car, great service from my acura dealer

My dad came and picked me up and noone still knows what happened...hopefully i find out today (this happened yesterday at around 3pm). I'm starting to fear it's a problem somewhere in the valvetrain. I had a knocking valve for quite a while now that my dealer said was normal...but i have a suspicion that it might have broken off and hit the piston causing a blowout on one of the cylinders.

The car has 31,500 miles on it and is a 2006...noone, including me believes what happened.

here are some pictures of the my TL before it died...:tear

Old 06-27-2008, 05:13 AM
3.2 VTEC

BTW...sorry to have posted in the RL section...but i tried doing so countless times in the TL section and it would not work, i have no idea why.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:18 AM
Pro

Did you over rev it?
Was the oil EVER low?
Old 06-27-2008, 07:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
AT least is under warranty. There are people who are losing their home and getting laid off. They would love to have your problem.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:56 AM
3.2 VTEC

no i didn't over rev it...it has never been past 7000rpm, especially not that day. and while i was waiting for the tow truck to arrive i checked my oil level and it was a little over the maximum...but it happens everytime i change my oil at the dealer....and the dealer gets the wrong oil in my engine most of the time too.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:59 AM
3.2 VTEC

Originally Posted by dwest1023
AT least is under warranty. There are people who are losing their home and getting laid off. They would love to have your problem.
well i know that but i was just surprised of what happend...i didn't say it's the most horrible problem a person can have. at least it isn't yet lol
Old 06-27-2008, 08:04 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Can moderators move this to the right place?
Old 06-27-2008, 08:08 AM
unofficial HONDA rep

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry to hear about your incident, it doesnt normally happen to a honda or acura but i think after you get it fixed, trade it in and get an RL
Old 06-27-2008, 08:09 AM
3.2 VTEC

Originally Posted by lumpulus
Can moderators move this to the right place?
that'd be great...i have no idea why posting a new thread on the TL section didn't work for me...it kept freezing and i probably tried over 50 times on different computers and internet connections and browsers and time spans...really wierd.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:12 AM
3.2 VTEC

Originally Posted by fredren
sorry to hear about your incident, it doesnt normally happen to a honda or acura but i think after you get it fixed, trade it in and get an RL
lol i like the idea but my only problem is that idk if i can make myself drive an automatic again...

that and the fact that it's more expencive...but mabe with those deals going on it could be worth it...then again i hear 33g for an 08 TL-S and that can be had in a manual so i'm going over my options.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:12 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you broke a valve the engine would have a bunch of horrible noises. This is most likely a sensor issue. Any CELs?
Old 06-27-2008, 09:28 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
no CEL's sounds liek a dead engine to me...probably loss of compression?
Old 06-27-2008, 09:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
It could just be a bad fuel pump. Have you ever run low on fuel?
Old 06-27-2008, 10:53 AM
3.2 VTEC

i have news from the dealership that they found diesel fuel in the gas tank.

i'm confused....it's impossible unless the gas station made a mistake, i have the receipt and it clearly states i filled up with v-power...which is what i always do on every fill up.

so eather they made a mistake or the gas station did.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:01 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe someone is mad at you and put diesel in your car?

Either way, I think the title you chose for your post is pretty poor. It sounds as if you worded it so someone will click on your thread to read about how crappy Acura engines might be. Which they're not. At this point it doesn't sound like an Acura problem at all, and you knew even less than that when you first posted.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Race Director

Uh oh if thats the case prepare to see a big repair bill.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:12 AM
3.2 VTEC

lol the title is somewhat overexadurated but when i thought of it i was in shock of how my car left me in the middle of the freeway with no prior signs, i had no idea of what it could be and couldn't think of anything besides an engine failure causing this.

i know of noone that cud do this around me, i generally don't have many ppl mad at me...and besides, noone has access to my car anyways and the only place i park it is work (which i can see it at all times), and home in the garage....so it's pretty much impossible that someone would do that.

damn idk...they want $400 just to drain the tank which i think is outrageous....and i'm pretty sure is not the problem. i fear it's something that broke internally because of the cranking sound of the engine...it's very unusual....so the problem is they gonna drain my tank of premium, find out it's not the problem, and i'll be around $600 short from then on. (with them changing out the spark plugs and all)
Old 06-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm hesitant to post this because I don't want to start a flame war, but vincethe1 has repeatedly shown himself to not be the sharpest crayon in the box. I'm not terribly surprised by anything I'm reading here.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:17 AM
3.2 VTEC

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
I'm hesitant to post this because I don't want to start a flame war, but vincethe1 has repeatedly shown himself to not be the sharpest crayon in the box. I'm not terribly surprised by anything I'm reading here.
really?

please explain those repeatedly shown acts of dullness....and how this is my fault.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Although, I am a bit confused at posting this in the RL forum even if the TL forum wouldn't allow it. That would be like me making a post about my dodge here because I couldn't find a forum as cool a AZ elsewhere.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:13 PM
Instructor

If it is indeed diesel fuel in the tank and you managed to start the engine a couple of times, then you have diesel throughout the entire fuel system. Draining the fuel tank will likely be only the biginning of the the items that need flushing and/or complete replacement.

Diesel in gasoline injectors ruins them, so expect the expense of a new set of injectors. Likewise a new fuel filter and probably a new fuel pump. Also, the cost of completely flushing the entire fuel system -- not too inexpensive I understand.

I would check back with the station where you last fueled up. It is not unknown for a fuel delivery truck to put the wrong fuel in an undergroung tank. If that happened at this station then there are no doubt others who have had the same problem. And, if that's the case, then the station is liable for dispensing the wrong fuel and for the subsequent damages.

In the winter there are frequent stories of people who fill their kerosene cans with "gasoline" (put in the kerosene tank by mistake) and having a fatal explosion when they use it a kerosene heater. In these cases it's clear who is liable.

Good luck on it possibly being a station error.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:23 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by vincethe1
i have news from the dealership that they found diesel fuel in the gas tank.

i'm confused....it's impossible unless the gas station made a mistake, i have the receipt and it clearly states i filled up with v-power...which is what i always do on every fill up.

so eather they made a mistake or the gas station did.
sorry to hear that. I was on the dealerrater.com website looking at the acura dealer ratings. I was reading Lehigh Valley acura's rating. Someone posted how they had problems with their TL and the LVA service dept. found it also had diesel. The person compliment the dealer on the amount of time they took to fix the problem and how they did not overcharge him. Good luck
Old 06-27-2008, 12:52 PM
'06 RL

It's really tough to put diesel in a gasoline car -- the diesel pump's fuel filler won't fit in the neck of your RL, which has the "unleaded only" restrictor plate mandated by federal law. You'd really be hard pressed to fill it manually without using a funnel.

So, either the diesel pump's filler neck was illegal, or they somehow mistakenly put diesel fuel in the tank for premium unleaded in your gas station.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dwest1023
What does anything you just wrote have to do with his problem? This site is called ACURAZINE not Mortgagezine or Jobzine. Discussion about car related problems is totally acceptable.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
This is OT, belongs in the Problems forum on TL.

Unfortunately, we cannot move threads across forum lines. I have no idea why you couldn't post in TL.