Acura RL - 1996-2010 R.I.P.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by VOdoc
Amen bruddah.

Regarding the other marketing parameters: unequivocal lux positioning that is separate from Honda, higher price, V8 and longer wheelbase could have grabbed some market share prior to the current recession. Now the game has changed. Marketing execs are saying that even high-income families have developed a new, permanent pragmatism and frugality. There will always be some people with a need to show off. Lately though, they are not well received by the rest of the world. Personally, I would not spend $70K on a car even if I won the lottery. It's obscene.

A $50K beauty with the right mix of lux, tech and looks, especially a hybrid, would rock my world. I'm torn on the SH-AWD. It's expensive and failure-prone, also hard on gas, but it lets me hold the road in brisk turns when FWD cars can't. I think I would rather have it. The one non-negotiable point: if the new flagship is ugly, then I am gone.
How is SH-AWD "failure-prone"? I don't recall any instances of SH-AWD failures in 4 years of reading the 2nd Gen RL board. There have been the noise issues with carbon fiber propeller shaft, though the driveshaft still worked fine, just loudly. Have there been cases where the SH-AWD system failed?
Old 04-23-2010, 10:39 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
^^^ agree 100%

We are still comparing to brands who's recently released vehicles where in developement 2 years prior...before our culture took a smack upside the head. BMW, MB are already turning away from V8s. Soon, that engine may no longer be the expected baseline engine in even those brands flagship vehicles.

Acura is positioned to respond quickly to this. The current Acura line up was conceived in the age of excess...which for now appears vulgar. And so does Acura's design reflect that.

Expect to see sensible tailored designs, more technology, more safety and efficiency power options via IMA.

I am gambling this market and cultural shift will produce opportunity for the Honda Dual Note / Acura DN-X to bring life in the next LEGEND / RL.

A 3.5 iVtech V6 + 2 IMAs powering the real wheels independently with SHAWD ( I LOVE SHAWD...and know of no failures...just a noisey bearing) producing 400hp while managing north of 35mpg.

Look at the technology features...many of them are already in the RL.

http://world.honda.com/Tokyo2001/auto/DUALNOTE/

This is another opportunity for Honda to make this flagship car a showcase car....with attributes to redefine what a flagship is for Honda.

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 04-23-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:54 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dwboston
How is SH-AWD "failure-prone"? I don't recall any instances of SH-AWD failures in 4 years of reading the 2nd Gen RL board. There have been the noise issues with carbon fiber propeller shaft, though the driveshaft still worked fine, just loudly. Have there been cases where the SH-AWD system failed?
If not for the Acuracare extended warranty, I might have been on the hook for $2000 to fix the SH-AWD propeller shaft last year. That's failure-prone.

Yet, read on. Despite any shortcomings, I love it and would have a hard time settling for less.