Acura RL - 1996-2010 R.I.P.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 09:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
Acura RL - 1996-2010 R.I.P.

My Acura advisor told me that 2010 is the last year for the RL.

A new model will be leading the line up in 2011.

She would not tell me what it is...

She did say that a Hybrid is coming in 2 years.

she was also the one who told me I got brembo brakes... so maybe it's just a false alarm.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Randy is the Future

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Damn, hope if its true it will be replaced by a new flag ship that will put it in a better class. I love my RL and want to keep replacing it with Acura's. I would be heart broken if they give up on this segment......
Old 04-17-2010, 09:18 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The new flagship needs to be a LEGEND!

I would be ready to buy a nicely-equipped and nice-looking 2012 LEGEND hybrid in a hot minute. Except...if they make it fugly like the current TL , or price it high to compete directly with the uncontrolled-acceleration luxo brand (L$ 460), count me out. In that case, I'll just drive my '06 till the PAX tires fall off. Then I'll probably have to get a Benz or something.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:33 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
We'll just have to wait and see.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
No offense 037, but I will believe when I see it in writing from Acura. Their employees seem to say a lot and it ends up here in the forum, but most of it is just talk.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:42 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by plastikman
No offense 037, but I will believe when I see it in writing from Acura. Their employees seem to say a lot and it ends up here in the forum, but most of it is just talk.
I mean...the RL was supposed to have a V8 and rear wheel drive two years ago. So a grain of salt is necessary when it comes to things like this.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:09 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by plastikman
no offense taken...if you read my entire post...there's a note of sarcasm on the very bottom there...
Old 04-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I won't believe it until it's in writing from Acura HQ. As 037 implies at the end of his post, this could be yet another example of my favorite automotive saying....."Dealers know nothing (or little)" and they often find out stuff only shortly before we do.

We at AZ occasionally are told things things from higher up the food chain, though, and I'll let you know if that happens.

In any case, if true, we already know which model leads the Acura lineup for the 2011 MY, and that is the ZDX, which Acura executives have already said on the record is the top-of-the-line Acura right not.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:08 PM
Randy is the Future

Originally Posted by neuronbob
In any case, if true, we already know which model leads the Acura lineup for the 2011 MY, and that is the ZDX, which Acura executives have already said on the record is the top-of-the-line Acura right not.
i hope not..... there are features in my RL that i don't even think are in the ZDX.....
Old 04-19-2010, 02:57 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by nore03
i hope not..... there are features in my RL that i don't even think are in the ZDX.....
such as...?

my ZDX is more loaded than my RL.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:08 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Richbum
such as...?

Yea, I don't beleive the RL has anything the ZDX doesn't have. In fact, the RL is getting old and doesn't even have many things the new 09/10 TL has! It was state-of-the-art in 2005 but now it seems below average in terms of features and capabilities. Now with the new Infiniti M that just came out with all it's new refinements and technology, the RL looks very tired.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:18 AM
Safety Car

not tired enough...I burnt Civic Si yesterday.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
The ZDX is the top-line Acura, but the RL has things it doesn't have. Let's start with a grille that's not stupid-looking, and then we can talk about rear visibility versus blind spots before the ever-valuable near-anonymity factor. The ZDX is way off the back on all those.

The 2011 Legend SC was just announced with a 3.7liter, supercharged six, producing 415hp. Oh, maybe not.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
The ZDX is a 2010 model.

Per the Acura.com website of the 2010 RL:

DON’T JUST TAKE OUR WORD FOR IT.

As the flagship of the Acura fleet, the RL not only commands attention, it has earned some distinguished awards. Here’s a taste of some of the honors and accolades the RL has received....

http://www.acura.com/RatingsReviews.aspx?model=RL

By definition, a flagship is the latest, greatest rendition of a brand or fleet at the time of launch. It retains this title until the vehicle or vessel named is retired or replaced with a next generation.

In perspective, flagship cruise vessels, are often superseded by newbuilds of larger size, newer technology and grander amenities, but still retain the flagship status.

Of course a dealership will throw the crown to whatever product can drawn potential sales energy, but the simple fact is the RL, by Acura's own publication remains the flagship of the brand.

Check out the video interview on TOV, where John Mendel speaks of Acura's direction and eludes to a next generation RL.

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=891301

The only thing that needs to R.I.P. is this silly one-up-manship mentality and gossip.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Ballinger
The ZDX is the top-line Acura, but the RL has things it doesn't have. Let's start with a grille that's not stupid-looking, and then we can talk about rear visibility versus blind spots before the ever-valuable near-anonymity factor. The ZDX is way off the back on all those.

The 2011 Legend SC was just announced with a 3.7liter, supercharged six, producing 415hp. Oh, maybe not.
I'll take a supercharger, thanks.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Wink Lights

such as...?
w/out actually doing research: adaptive headlights are not found on the ZDX which I find rather odd ... It also does not have the auto-leveling lights of the MDX.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:42 PM
Burning Brakes

The 2011 A-Spec kit includes nitrous. Now we're talkin'!
Old 04-20-2010, 07:06 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by TSX69
w/out actually doing research: adaptive headlights are not found on the ZDX which I find rather odd ... It also does not have the auto-leveling lights of the MDX.
Thats interesting that the ZDX doesn't have articulating headlights. Maybe that means they are moving away from the feature. I have it on my RL and find it to be almost useless in the real world. If it were an option, I would never check that box now that I've had it on a car. Maybe survey's and focus groups have shown that to be a general view and they will not be adding it to new models anymore
Old 04-20-2010, 07:56 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Thats interesting that the ZDX doesn't have articulating headlights. Maybe that means they are moving away from the feature. I have it on my RL and find it to be almost useless in the real world. If it were an option, I would never check that box now that I've had it on a car. Maybe survey's and focus groups have shown that to be a general view and they will not be adding it to new models anymore
I find adoptive lighting to be great. Maybe yours doesn't even work?

When I make right turns it lights up the way for me. I do have 8k HIDs so I actually see bluish light when I turn, maybe you can't tell the difference with the stock bulbs.

when I drove my brothers Civic with HIDs I missed the ability to see "around the corner" so I can say that I am definitely using this feature and I think it's great.

It is also the sole reason I did not swap 50w bulbs in my low beams as I would lose this ability.

Adaptive Low beams are a good and useful feature.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:02 AM
Go Big Blue!

^^ In practice, I found they don't turn enough to make that much of a difference. Maybe they improved it after the refresh. I have an '07. If I drove on dark country roads a lot (which I don't) and the beam turned more, it might be worth some extra bucks. Buf for me (personal preference) I wouldn't check it off on an option box if it was more than $100 add on cost. I find the wide spread of the flood lights of more value. I leave them on all the time.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:15 AM
Randy is the Future

such as...?

Without doing any research I know the adaptive headlights aren't on the zdx. I think the adaptive headlights are very useful and hate not having them when I drive other cars. Also the rear sunshades, both the manual ones on the rear doors and the one on the rear window which I actually like and use. I'm guessing they couldn't do the one on the reardoor but at least on the side. I like how you can drop the rear headrest I actually think that is great feature versus any other car. I'm on my cellphone so I can't do any research.

Also I know the zdx has more features just said it is missing stuff from the RL. I'm sure we will see these features in the next RL.

Last edited by nore03; 04-20-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
...Maybe survey's and focus groups have shown...
LOL...Do you think if Acura used surveys or focus groups the current grille would exist?

LL
Old 04-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by lland
LOL...Do you think if Acura used surveys or focus groups the current grille would exist?

LL
Point taken Larry. What was I thinking
Old 04-20-2010, 10:28 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
It Seems Helpful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qMiP...layer_embedded
Old 04-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Safety Car

maybe I should record a video like that...except I don't go quiet that fast.

Now where to find some dark woods in the middle of nowhere with all those turns...
Old 04-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by 037
maybe I should record a video like that...except I don't go quiet that fast.

Now where to find some dark woods in the middle of nowhere with all those turns...
Yea that video makes the feature look very useful. Maybe I'm dismissing this feature too much from my own perspective. If I drove down roads like that I guess it would be a nice thing to have. But, since everywhere I drive is almost always flat, straight, and lit, this feature is useless to me personally and I wouldn't miss it if it wasn't on my next car
Old 04-21-2010, 01:22 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ballinger
contrary to popular belief, grille design and blind spots are not car features. also, what exactly does top-line acura mean?

Last edited by Richbum; 04-21-2010 at 01:27 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:25 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by nore03
Without doing any research I know the adaptive headlights aren't on the zdx. I think the adaptive headlights are very useful and hate not having them when I drive other cars. Also the rear sunshades, both the manual ones on the rear doors and the one on the rear window which I actually like and use. I'm guessing they couldn't do the one on the reardoor but at least on the side. I like how you can drop the rear headrest I actually think that is great feature versus any other car. I'm on my cellphone so I can't do any research.

Also I know the zdx has more features just said it is missing stuff from the RL. I'm sure we will see these features in the next RL.
sunshade screens.. i suppose are features, however:

A) its an SUV, so I think its not very high on the list of important features
B) have you seen the slant of the rear windows? they would have to be redesigned to work with the epic slanting on the rear windows.. if you even want to call the rear ones windows, they're like jail-cell sized.

what i'm trying to say it, everything inside the RL, which was once a tech leader, is just showing its age. model change must happen now.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Cool

contrary to popular belief, grille design and blind spots are not car features. also, what exactly does top-line acura mean?
Sadly, you've just dismissed the ZDX's best parts. They worked hard to make those giant blind spots and the beaky grille! I hope you, at least, appreciate the "split tunnel" view out the rear of the car, or the extra wide threshold adjacent to the rear seats designed for "little people" (we don't call them midgets, thank you).

Top Line Acura means, regardless of the brochure about a car most dealerships don't have, the most-expensive, nicest Acura on the lot. The one with the zoot features and trinkets. The one Acura spends money on to promote prestige and visibility.

Of course, some people just don't love it. You're bad.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:26 AM
Go Big Blue!

This is silly. Acura is clearly in a transition phase. They are growing the linup. Things will get unbalanced . You could argue all you want about what is the top shelf vehicle right now, but price wise, it is the ZDX. The RL probably should be that vehicle but since they are upscaling the lineup right now the RL finds itself in an awkward spot. The current gen is going on 6 years old and needs a ground up redesign soon which will no doubt make it the most expensive vehicle again. But for now, as odd as it seems, that spot goes to an awkward niche CUV called the ZDX.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
I'm completely happy with my 2005 RL.

1) It's paid for.
2) Free XM (never have renewed the service since bought new... knock on wood).
3) High VIN 17XXX and haven't experienced any 1st year bugs (knock on wood again).
4) The style is still timeless.
5) The mechanics (i.e., alum alloy, carbon composites) are superior and the features rival anything brand new $30K and under including a loaded 2010 Accord.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:34 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
^^ In practice, I found they don't turn enough to make that much of a difference. Maybe they improved it after the refresh. I have an '07. If I drove on dark country roads a lot (which I don't) and the beam turned more, it might be worth some extra bucks. Buf for me (personal preference) I wouldn't check it off on an option box if it was more than $100 add on cost. I find the wide spread of the flood lights of more value. I leave them on all the time.
The key is driving on dark roads. When I lived in the Chicago 'burbs, all tghe streets were well lighted and you didn't notice the adaptive headlights. Now that I live in SE Michigan and drive rural roads at night, I notice them more.

Saying that, I too probably wouldn't check the box.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:04 PM
Safety Car

check and check. Adaptive lights is the only thing between me and 50 watt uber blinding low beams.

I wouldn't trade it.

So...anyone want to pick up a full 6,000k 50 watt high beam setup , D2S adapters, and 50 watt lifetime warranty ballasts?

I'll even install em for ya
Old 04-22-2010, 01:59 AM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
This is silly. Acura is clearly in a transition phase. They are growing the linup. Things will get unbalanced . You could argue all you want about what is the top shelf vehicle right now, but price wise, it is the ZDX. The RL probably should be that vehicle but since they are upscaling the lineup right now the RL finds itself in an awkward spot. The current gen is going on 6 years old and needs a ground up redesign soon which will no doubt make it the most expensive vehicle again. But for now, as odd as it seems, that spot goes to an awkward niche CUV called the ZDX.
Well, the RL still does have the highest starting MSRP. However, the ZDX can be optioned out to be more expensive than the RL.

I certainly hope that the next RL doesn't get a large price increase. Increasing the price ceiling is okay IMO but increasing the base price will just doom the RL right from the start, unless it's a 7 series for 5 series money type of deal. Acura really needs something amazing and unique for the next RL if they want to get peoples attention. Otherwise, I can't help but think that even the next RL will be a failure (especially if Acura sticks with the one size fits all mentality).
Old 04-22-2010, 06:48 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
Well, the RL still does have the highest starting MSRP. However, the ZDX can be optioned out to be more expensive than the RL.

I certainly hope that the next RL doesn't get a large price increase. Increasing the price ceiling is okay IMO but increasing the base price will just doom the RL right from the start, unless it's a 7 series for 5 series money type of deal. Acura really needs something amazing and unique for the next RL if they want to get peoples attention. Otherwise, I can't help but think that even the next RL will be a failure (especially if Acura sticks with the one size fits all mentality).
You could be right, but personally I'm thinking they actually DO need to move the RL up in price, features, and size. It's too close to the TL in all those categories. The boy racer category is covered with the TL and all it's variants. They need a more sophisticated product for the more "mature" buyer. The RL sort of fits that nitch but it needs to go farther I think. Given what we've seen in the last couple years with the linup changes, I see the odds being in favor of a new RL in the 200" length category like the LS and basing in the mid $50's and maxing in the mid $60's. A v8 would be ideal, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Infiniti is trying to move upscale with the M this time around too. I like the car and might consider one this fall, but I think they missed in one category, size. 194" makes it too small to be taken seriously as a flagship sedan in this country. Its shorter and narrower than the TL. That's a problem. Acura needs to not make that mistake.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
Size, shape, and features will be important to a new RL. But I'd take a modest upgrade in features, size, and shape, if they would make more of an effort of making better what they currently already have.

I'd like to see a thicker paint treatment, better leather seats, more sound resistance, glass headlamp covers, etc. In other words, I don't want to pay another $10K for features. I would rather see something that people can id in 20 years and say "damn, I wish I bought one of those when it was new."
Old 04-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Advanced

make it bigger, give it a V8, then make it even more bigger, charge an extra $10,000. pull Lexus LS customers away, ?????? , profit.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:36 AM
Go Big Blue!

^^ I realize you are being sarcastic, but what you said is exactly what I'm thinking they may be planning. It seems Acura is trying to make a move here based on what we've seen happening in the last 24 months. The debatable part is whether it's a good idea or not. In my opinion, if they want to make Acura a true stand alone lux brand they will at very least need to continue separating themselves from Honda at the price point. But they need to do more than that of course. They need to continue to develop unique products for the Acura brand (ZDX, RDX). Although I don't see as much of a problem with rebadging as some (and I see NO problem with platform sharing), I admit it is a drag on the brands image when people realize that the TSX, RL, TL, and MDX are sold in Japan and elsewhere as Honda's. However, I truly believe the biggest resistence to Acura being seen as a true lux brand, is the lack of a full sized blown out sedan. Its no coincidence that Lexus has the LS and has acheived somewhat equality, in the eyes of the consumer, with BMW and Mercedes. I think Acura will need that top shelf product to be seen in that league. It's just not good enough to build a great engineered and valued car (case in point the RL). That sounds illogical but image and prestige are purely emotional rather than logical thoughts. Consider the the new M. It's a great car, but because it's still only a mid size sedan and a rebadged Nissan, it's potential splash for the brand will be limited. They will sell a good number, including potentially one to me, but it won't help them sell any other cars. That's why a car like the LS is so important. They don't sell many, but it elevates the brands image and helps Lexus sell boat loads of ES's to LS wannabe's
Old 04-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Racer

Whatever the new RL is called, I hope that Acura doesn't continue to fail in the styling department. The new body styles (of all Acuras) are horrendous. They need to fire the design team and get someone with 20/20 vision, or at least 20/40...cause these new models are hard to look at.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Originally Posted by fiveoh-tl
Whatever the new RL is called, I hope that Acura doesn't continue to fail in the styling department. The new body styles (of all Acuras) are horrendous. They need to fire the design team and get someone with 20/20 vision, or at least 20/40...cause these new models are hard to look at.
Amen bruddah.

Regarding the other marketing parameters: unequivocal lux positioning that is separate from Honda, higher price, V8 and longer wheelbase could have grabbed some market share prior to the current recession. Now the game has changed. Marketing execs are saying that even high-income families have developed a new, permanent pragmatism and frugality. There will always be some people with a need to show off. Lately though, they are not well received by the rest of the world. Personally, I would not spend $70K on a car even if I won the lottery. It's obscene.

A $50K beauty with the right mix of lux, tech and looks, especially a hybrid, would rock my world. I'm torn on the SH-AWD. It's expensive and failure-prone, also hard on gas, but it lets me hold the road in brisk turns when FWD cars can't. I think I would rather have it. The one non-negotiable point: if the new flagship is ugly, then I am gone.

Quick Reply: Acura RL - 1996-2010 R.I.P.