Acura Advance/TV Commercial?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 09:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Acura Advance

Right now, Battlestar Galactica is being being broadcast on Universal HD. The broadcast is being sponsored by "Acura Advance." Does this mean Acura is trying to build their brand? Perhaps "Acura Advance" will define Acura as a high-tech car brand, and aiming at tech geeks is how they're going to do it.

Comments?
Old 01-06-2007, 09:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Good for Acura! Going after us geeks.

"Acura Advance" refers to the technological features our cars are jammed with. I guess they want to be known as a luxury car company that caters to geeks, or those at least with passing interest in technology.

Not a bad place to start. Now show the RL in some of those ads and you might get some interest...
Old 01-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back in 2005 it was true. These days, several competitors have traffic navigation, bluetooth, etc. Acura even took a step back with the removal of telematics by On-Star.

SH-AWD is awesome, but if that's the only technology Acura has over competitors while the competitors have other, more interesting advances, I would not be sanguine about Acura improving sales.

Just to name a few:

Free Traffic Nav as opposed to extra cost subscription
Telematics
Night vision (not a big deal, but definitely high geek factor)
Heads-up display
Active cruise control that actually brings the car to a complete stop in traffic
8-speed transmission
Better audio systems
Lane departure warning (not something I'd want, but it'd help sell the car to a geek)
Blind spot warning (again, not something I'd want)

When it comes to advanced technology, Acura has fallen behind from their position at the head of the pack in 2005.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Interesting. I guess that's the problem with selling a car based on electronics, it is hard to stay ahead of the curve. Maybe Acura is hyping up how much gadgetry they offer FOR THE PRICE?

What type of gadgets do people wish Acuras had? Personally, I wish the RL came with a hard drive and a USB port. I also wish they could play SA-CDs and the audio from a DVD-V.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:44 AM
Advanced

Back in '04 when the new RL came out, I joked that "In 10 years, a Hyundai will have that technology." Well, Hyundai already has Bluetooth, and I wouldn't be surprised to see traffic nav and the rest in a Hyundai in just 2-3 years. Seems the joke was on me.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Michael Dell has a theory that all consumer electronics eventually become commodities. Following the Dell Theory, it makes sense that the consumer electronics features of a car will eventually be available in less-expensive cars as those features become less expensive to implement. That being said, the fact that certain consumer technologies is not enough. We also need to consider HOW those technologies are implemented. Personally, I consider myself more a technology enthusiast than a driving enthusiast, and I chose the RL because of HOW the technology in the car was integrated. For example, the way you can look up an Italian restaurant with the navigation system by simply saying "Find nearest Italian restaurant" and then you can tell the navigation system to call that restaurant if a phone number is available. A BMW has a navigation system and I'm sure Hyundai has one (or will soon), but I don't think other navi systems are implemented in that way with that level of integration.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:23 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The problem is that people buying Benz and BMW don't care about NAV and all the tech goodies. They want a unique car.

Acura lost out big when they modeled the RL to the U.S. Accord. On Saturday, a 2006 Honda Accord was parked next to my 05 RL. I spent 10 minutes looking at both cars

Both cars lines, headlamp shape, front grill height, etc.. is screaming Accord, its like the RL is that super-hot cousin... Acura can't get away with this because its not Lexus...yet. Besides, the GS, ES and Camry are all the same with the GS looking totally different.

i got an RL and love it. The tech toys are amazing and a great implementation. Kudos to Acura, now lets see the car on Nip Tuck or Desperate Housewives or something...hehe
Old 01-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
Right now, Battlestar Galactica is being being broadcast on Universal HD. The broadcast is being sponsored by "Acura Advance." Does this mean Acura is trying to build their brand? Perhaps "Acura Advance" will define Acura as a high-tech car brand, and aiming at tech geeks is how they're going to do it.

Comments?

I was watching that show also. My thought was why doesn't Acura also include some performance shots, or add to the tech info with something enhancing other than the tech stuff? There is a limited market for the tech approach.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:41 PM
Advanced

What they need is a LONG ad rather than many short ones.

How about two ultra-rich guys comparing one guy's RL to the other guy's Rolls-Royce Phantom?

Both guys in the back of the RR: "I gotta call my wife." Chauffeur dials a cellphone manually, almost crashes while doing so. The guys in the back are jostled around. Finally, the chauffeur tosses the cellphone at the back seat occupants and it hits one in the head, bounces to the floor where clicks shut just after we hear the wife on the other end "Hello?"

Cut to the same two guys in the front of an RL. The driver makes a simple call to his wife using Bluetooth. The passenger is red-faced.

Later, same two guys, same two cars, they decide to race from the country club to the golf course. The Phantom is seen stuck in a sea of traffic with the chauffeur apologising while the RL driver sees the problem on his traffic nav and bypasses it.

What is the ultimate luxury car? Can you afford to spend your time in traffic? How much less stress would you have in your life knowing that a particular route is free of traffic?

As Lexus proved with the back-up camera on their SUV, you don't have to be the first one or the only one with a technology to convince people you are and cash in. (MDX had it long before but never advertised it. Once the Lexus back-up ads were a hit, Acura figured they'd look silly doing the same ad)
Old 01-08-2007, 12:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by static808
The problem is that people buying Benz and BMW don't care about NAV and all the tech goodies. They want a unique car.

Acura lost out big when they modeled the RL to the U.S. Accord. On Saturday, a 2006 Honda Accord was parked next to my 05 RL. I spent 10 minutes looking at both cars

Both cars lines, headlamp shape, front grill height, etc.. is screaming Accord, its like the RL is that super-hot cousin... Acura can't get away with this because its not Lexus...yet. Besides, the GS, ES and Camry are all the same with the GS looking totally different.

i got an RL and love it. The tech toys are amazing and a great implementation. Kudos to Acura, now lets see the car on Nip Tuck or Desperate Housewives or something...hehe
Take the 3-pointed star off a Mercedes and tell me how unique it looks. Lexus' business model was based on making a car that resembles a Benz. Honda tried it with the previous RL and it sold even worse than the current RL.

The RL and the US Accord were designed by the same people to be sold in Japan as luxury cars. in Japan, the Honda Inspire (our Accord) is just one step below the Legend (or RL). That is part of the reason for the resemblance. Also, Japanese culture is far more detail oriented than our own. They can tell differences that we can. And trust me, THEY have no trouble telling the difference between a Legend and an Inspire.

The RL is not meant for the US. It is just that simple. We need a car that is obnoxiously different (Chris Bangle's BMWs) or we need a great big emblem on the car. That's the only way the well-paid people in our country can tell the difference, that's the main reason why the BMWs and Mercedes sell so well. People are brand whores, period.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Qest
What they need is a LONG ad rather than many short ones.

How about two ultra-rich guys comparing one guy's RL to the other guy's Rolls-Royce Phantom?

Both guys in the back of the RR: "I gotta call my wife." Chauffeur dials a cellphone manually, almost crashes while doing so. The guys in the back are jostled around. Finally, the chauffeur tosses the cellphone at the back seat occupants and it hits one in the head, bounces to the floor where clicks shut just after we hear the wife on the other end "Hello?"

Cut to the same two guys in the front of an RL. The driver makes a simple call to his wife using Bluetooth. The passenger is red-faced.

Later, same two guys, same two cars, they decide to race from the country club to the golf course. The Phantom is seen stuck in a sea of traffic with the chauffeur apologising while the RL driver sees the problem on his traffic nav and bypasses it.

What is the ultimate luxury car? Can you afford to spend your time in traffic? How much less stress would you have in your life knowing that a particular route is free of traffic?

As Lexus proved with the back-up camera on their SUV, you don't have to be the first one or the only one with a technology to convince people you are and cash in. (MDX had it long before but never advertised it. Once the Lexus back-up ads were a hit, Acura figured they'd look silly doing the same ad)
The big question is whether Acura has the resources for that kind of advertising. Acura is almost like a step child compared to the FCX fuel cell vehicle, the HondaJet, that damned Asimo robot, etc.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:01 AM
Senior Moderator

People are brand whores, period.
Are we Americans that dumb? I suppose some are, even provided empirical data comparing cars in this class they still go with the big blue and white emblem. Nothing wrong with BMW or Lexus, they are simply better at conveying the luxury message. So was Acura, back in the late 80's and early 90's.

I can't see the resemblance between the Accord and the RL. I can tell the difference between the two pretty easily. I'm sure the brand whores can, too, they just want that cachet that goes along with BMW, Lexus, and MB.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:13 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
The latest issue of Architectural Digest has an RL advert in it. It mentions it would be the ideal vehicle for a CTO of a company.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:18 AM
Racer

TV Commercial?

I was at the local Applebee's yesterday during the Patriots/Jets game. They ran a nice ad on the RDX touting the SH-AWD. It was a cool commercial.

Anyway, later I caught a glimpse of another Acura ad that looked like the RL but I'm not sure as it was just a quick "glimpse".

Did anyone see the commercial and was it for the RL?
Old 01-08-2007, 09:21 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
I was watching the Patriots/Jets game over at a sports bar yesterday and Acura was all over that game. Saw several commercials. I couldn't make out the voice over but one was a new one of the RL, and another was of the MDX. The one where the road banks as the MDX approaches (read: SH-AWD).

Funny, if I was watching at home I probably would have missed them since I watch almost everything through TiVo and I end up fast forwarding through commercials.

That brings up a great point. TiVo has a feature where a product will get advertised. They include a couple commercials that you can view. I've seem BMW, and Lexus leverage that. Acura could do that and include a longer commercial that truly showcases the technology in their cars.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by gavine
I was at the local Applebee's yesterday during the Patriots/Jets game. They ran a nice ad on the RDX touting the SH-AWD. It was a cool commercial.

Anyway, later I caught a glimpse of another Acura ad that looked like the RL but I'm not sure as it was just a quick "glimpse".

Did anyone see the commercial and was it for the RL?
Yep, saw the same. I posted it over in the Acura Advance thread.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Will merge the two threads shortly just for efficiency's sake.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:17 AM
Intermediate

I saw the tail end of the RL add on Fox last night,,,looked to me to be a carbon gray RL,,,have seen the the other 'Acura Advance' adds but this is first RL one.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Tivo=best invention ever.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Here's one. Not a bad ad.

http://www.kewego.com/video/iLyROoaftJOH.html
Old 01-08-2007, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by neuronbob
For some reason.... Blocked at work.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:31 AM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
all I see is LEGO Star Wars game.... is it a wrong link?

Old 01-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Not a bad little ad. About two years to late but I guess better late than never.

Hope they keep it up.

LL
Old 01-08-2007, 11:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Are we Americans that dumb? I suppose some are, even provided empirical data comparing cars in this class they still go with the big blue and white emblem. Nothing wrong with BMW or Lexus, they are simply better at conveying the luxury message. So was Acura, back in the late 80's and early 90's.

I can't see the resemblance between the Accord and the RL. I can tell the difference between the two pretty easily. I'm sure the brand whores can, too, they just want that cachet that goes along with BMW, Lexus, and MB.
It isn't stupidily, it's vanity. People pay a lot of money for high-status cars because they want EVERYONE to know they paid a lot of money for the car. Mercedes is popular mainly because the brand has universal recognition. Let me put it another way: when I told a friend of mine how much I paid for my RL, she said, "Why didn't you just buy a Benz?"
Old 01-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Advanced

Let me put it another way: when I told a friend of mine how much I paid for my RL, she said, "Why didn't you just buy a Benz?"
Maybe because you want it to actually start every morning?
Old 01-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Maybe because you want it to actually start every morning?
Exactly!

I have another friend who recently started working as a mortgage banker. She says she wants a convertable, and is considering a Mercedes "because they cost more than BMWs." These are the people who drive luxury cars.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Advanced

In general, you do get what you pay for. Unfortunately, cars don't always work that way.

I met one couple who were considering a roughly $50,000 MB in 2005. The horrified looks on their faces as I ran down the pros and cons of that vs. the RL were quite sincere. They agreed never to drive an RL so they'd be happier with their Benz purchase!
Old 01-08-2007, 07:24 PM
Senior Moderator

she wants a convertable, and is considering a Mercedes "because they cost more than BMWs." These are the people who drive luxury cars.

Sorry to be crude, but....what a moron she is!
Old 01-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Sorry to be crude, but....what a moron she is!
Oh, I agree! Unfortunately, these are some of the people who drive luxury cars. And the worse part is that these are "educated" people!
Old 01-08-2007, 10:48 PM
Pro

An "educated" moron --- now, that is an oxymoron. LOL!
Old 01-09-2007, 12:36 AM
Retired and Loving It

I've met a lot of educated people who don't have a lick of sense. Basically clueless about cars and how they work. I once met a college professor who couldn't get the hood open on his BMW, I had to show him.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:04 AM
Advanced

If you're right, we're all morons. Send me out alone to buy my wife a dress and I'd likely pick the one with a designer I recognize, or buy the more expensive one with "you get what you pay for" in mind, and also my desire not to be cheap with my selections for my wife.

I'm a car geek, so I can pick the right car for a person's situation, but ask me about anything from the selecting an apple at the supermarket, to choosing the proper wine, and I'll probably make the wrong choice.

So I'm a moron?
Old 01-09-2007, 04:50 AM
Senior Moderator

So I'm a moron?
Yes, we all have situations in which we are simply dumb. For example, I have no mechanical acumen at all. I have to go to the dealer to have the simplest stuff installed on my car. Coming up with a presentation on the latest advances, and obscure research trials in multiple sclerosis for my colleagues for tomorrow? Easy as pie!

So to me, the person who buys a Benz becaues it's more expensive than a BMW is at minimum hopelessly shallow because they didn't put as much thought into thei car purchase as I did. But that discussion is OT .
Old 01-09-2007, 09:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Back on topic.....

Honda CEO Takeo Fukui made some interesting comments about Acura and its new "Advance" campaign at the NAIAS a couple of days ago. His statement fits this thread because it addresses the new ad campaign that started the thread. He refers to the MDX as a recipient of an "Advance" design style, in addition to mentioning the standard tech stuff we are accustomed to in our cars. He was about to unveil the Acura concept car....a FR format car with V10 engine. Man, can you imagine an RL with a V10..... I'd lose all the points on my license in a month!

Sounds like Honda DOES intend a direction for Acura after all.....

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. And thank you for joining us. Last year, we marked the 20th anniversary of the Acura brand by topping 200-thousand units in sales for the second straight year. But we did so with a focus on the future. With a commitment to advanced technology our goal is to help our customers get where they're going more quickly, more efficiently, and more connected to the world.

This commitment can be summed up in just one word, "Advance." This is a statement about Acura's commitment to always be ahead with customer relevant technologies and products that add to the quality of life. As you know the Acura brand was born in the U.S. Many Acura products also are being born here in America. And these products are key to the continued growth and success of the Acura brand around the world.

The next big step for Acura and our U.S. R&D operations is the opening of another design studio this summer, the Acura Design Center. We have been designing Acura products in America for more than a dozen years. With this new design center the Acura brand will have an even sharper focus on creating products that meet the needs of a new generation of luxury consumers.

We are also following a similar strategy with R&D in Japan. Beginning last April, we separated Acura design and development activities. Now, an Acura design studio in Japan supports global Acura design efforts. We also began the global expansion of Acura with sales in China. And we are now preparing for the launch of the Acura brand in Japan.

The Acura TL, exported from America, is one of the first Acura vehicles sold in China. And this year we will begin exporting the new MDX to China as well. Because we have the capability to develop all-new vehicles from the ground up ... this all-new MDX was conceived, designed and developed in America. But the key is not where these operations are based. The key is what we create for our customers. The role of the new Acura design centers in both America and Japan is to set the tone for the Acura brand through emotional design.

I must tell you that my own passion is performance. I spent much of my career in racing, and I continue to follow it closely. We won a Formula One race last year. But the desire to win every race burns inside of me, and our engineers. This same kind of burning desire for performance can be found in Acura products. That is why the MDX that was developed in America was tested and refined on the Nurburgring in Germany. It is why we have added Super Handling All Wheel Drive to three different models - including two sport utility vehicles. The Acura brand will always be a home for people who love to drive.

The first generation NSX is another example of this burning desire for performance. It set new standards in many areas, from its advanced technologies to its incredible performance. Today, we want to show you a new concept car that hints at the design direction of the successor to the NSX. This design was created by our Los Angeles-based team. In a few months, this team will move into the Acura Design Center. But they have already created an exciting Acura Advanced Sports Car concept.

Before I show it to you, I want to emphasize that this vehicle is about more than just great styling. As we advance toward building a car like this, I can tell you it will feature advanced technology matching our passion for performance. This will include an all-new V10 engine that is Acura's most powerful ever. This front engine vehicle will also feature a new high performance, rear wheel drive version of Acura's Super Handling All-Wheel Drive.

Our direction is clear. We plan to Advance, in technology, in design, and in overall performance. This fall, at the Tokyo Motor Show, we will showcase the next stage in our advancement. But today, we have an exciting idea for the next Acura super sports car. I hope you like this exciting new concept, and the direction for the Acura brand. Thank you.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:59 PM

The Acura brand will always be a home for people who love to drive.
You see, this has always been what differentiated Honda products from others. Honda has always leaned towards the DRIVER versus the driver. That's why "Precision Crafted Performance" was their first tag line. They then got confused by trying to compete with Lexus and got "Some things are worth the price" among others.

I have no issues with Acura trying to differntiate themselves from Lexus and make themselves more of a performance luxury marque versus luxury with some performance.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
So I'm watching an episode of "House" my wife recorded a couple of days ago and near the end as I'm fast-forwarding through the commercials, I catch a glimpse of something familiar...I stop, rewind, and watch an RL specific commercial. Relatively short and not all that entertaining but hey, it's a start.

LL
Old 01-12-2007, 09:29 AM
06 RL Lakeshore Silver

G4TV did a special broadcast on the CES show in Vegas. It was sponsered by Acura Advance.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Racer

I saw that short RL commercial too. It basically mentions "real time traffic" and that's it.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:39 PM
Pro

I also saw the commercial on real time traffic. It is not very informative or exciting. Instead, it only has a "zen" feel to it, almost like the old Q45 commercials where you see the rustling of leaves and try to figure out what it is. The new RL commercial shows sunlight filtering into RL's cabin, and then cuts to a quick glimpse of the navi, w/o actually showing the benefits of having real time traffic. Maybe I am a moron because I don't really get the entire picture.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
For those that haven't seen it, I have the Acura Advance on my site for download. It's bundled with our locally produced version (30 sec) and my own interpetation on the theme.

http://satoauto.com/cblog/

Quick Reply: Acura Advance/TV Commercial?