AC Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 09:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
AC Problem

It's only been two weeks since I bought my 05 RL and today was the first day I wasn't pleased. For about an hour this evening the car was blowing out the same air as outside (75 degrees and humid), but after a while the ac kicked in and started to blow really cold air. I have heard of AC problems some of you have had in the passed, what were your exact issues?
Old 08-31-2007, 10:47 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by briny319
It's only been two weeks since I bought my 05 RL and today was the first day I wasn't pleased. For about an hour this evening the car was blowing out the same air as outside (75 degrees and humid), but after a while the ac kicked in and started to blow really cold air. I have heard of AC problems some of you have had in the passed, what were your exact issues?
I have a 2005 RL I bought new. I had problems with the a/c about 8 months ago and they replaced the blower motor. Last month the compressor went and they replaced that, and it now works okay.....even though I was over 50,000 miles they did not charge me.....it was listed as "one time goodwill" on the bill. I think the a/c is a known problem and you should do further checking.......good luck!
Old 09-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it only on the 2005 RL's? I have a 06 and sometimes it doesn't feel real cold. Anyone have issues with a 06 RL?
Old 09-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the two replies but come on guys it's been 24hrs since I started this thread. Those of you who have had AC problems I want to hear from you.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:03 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That happens to me when it is set to AUTO, when it lets air in from outside. I'm in FL, and that is not a good thing! I've opted to always push the recirc button to make sure that does not happen, even if I forgo some of the auto niceties by doing so.

Good luck,
Old 09-02-2007, 05:57 AM
Pro

I run my AC on areally low temp so it does not have the ac clutch go in and out as it tries to keep the temp perfect on auto, this should make my ac clutch last a lot longer. However I give up the auto feature.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:14 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by kirbyflorida
I run my AC on areally low temp so it does not have the ac clutch go in and out as it tries to keep the temp perfect on auto, this should make my ac clutch last a lot longer. However I give up the auto feature.
Ditto. I just need max cold, recirc on. When the weatherdrops below the 90s, I just set the Temp higher.

Everytime I used AUTO, it would blast me with hot outside air when making temp adjustments, I would wonder, WHY is it doing that? I prefer to make the AC decisions for myself... ON AND LOTS!!!
Old 09-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I've used the auto setting on all three Acuras I've owned. All display similar behavior. When you turn on the car on a warm day, it blows warm air for less than 30 seconds, then chilly air. I have responded to this by opening the windows to release the hot air already in the car when I get to it, and wait a minute before turning on the AC if it's off. If it's already on, I just let it do its business.

I'm on auto 70 during the summer, and 72 during the winter. Works for me!
Old 09-02-2007, 04:28 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I've used the auto setting on all three Acuras I've owned. All display similar behavior. When you turn on the car on a warm day, it blows warm air for less than 30 seconds, then chilly air. I have responded to this by opening the windows to release the hot air already in the car when I get to it, and wait a minute before turning on the AC if it's off. If it's already on, I just let it do its business.

I'm on auto 70 during the summer, and 72 during the winter. Works for me!
Yep, another great invention. Can't imagine why anyone would choose not to use it. "Climate Control Full Automatic....." The only way to drive.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Yep, another great invention. Can't imagine why anyone would choose not to use it. "Climate Control Full Automatic....." The only way to drive.
I've been using manual mode A/C since my first Legend Coupe (which had a neat manual override behind a little folding door).

I prefer to start the car with the A/C off and then bring up the fan speed, rather than face the inevitable high speed fan blast of air. I keep the A/C in recirc all the time. As I approach home, I turn the A/C compressor off and set the temp back to max cold.

Maybe I'll try a week of auto mode and see how it works. Doesn't auto mode keep the compressor on all the time?

Rob144
Old 09-03-2007, 08:33 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by Rob144
I've been using manual mode A/C since my first Legend Coupe (which had a neat manual override behind a little folding door).

I prefer to start the car with the A/C off and then bring up the fan speed, rather than face the inevitable high speed fan blast of air. I keep the A/C in recirc all the time. As I approach home, I turn the A/C compressor off and set the temp back to max cold.

Maybe I'll try a week of auto mode and see how it works. Doesn't auto mode keep the compressor on all the time?

Rob144
Mine does what you described automatically. In other words, when the system is on auto it does not just come out full blast when you start the car. The fan ramps up only when the air coming out is cold enough to make a difference. Usually takes about 30 seconds.

I'm actually shocked that some of you manually control your ac still. I haven't had a car with manual controls since 1995! When I get in a rental (or something else) without thermostat controlled ac, it drives me crazy. I don't miss the old days of setting fan speed and using that stupid slide bar to set the air mixture.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:16 AM
Pro

Not only will I do my climate control on manual, but at times I will actually shift gears by myself, manually. I also turn the ignition starter as I used to just push a button on my S2000.
I even change audio formats manually rather than just talking to the computer, call me old fashion.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:31 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Red face

I like to have my A/C on MAX, constant. It helps me maintain cryogenic freeze. If I thaw, I may begin to walk upright instead of knucklewalking.

I find the RL's AC is fine, cools quickly and when on Manual, no odd fan blasts unexpectedly, which it did when I experimented with the Auto feature.

I just choose to maintain MY choices on some car features. I find it distracting when it does something unexpected, Similarly I did not like CMBS when I test drove a CMBS model. The beepng and flashing was irritating to me and I found distracting from using MY driver's input. A blast of air, hot or cold, unexpected will similarly distract or annoy me, and therefore has less benefit to me.

Heck, I gave up with the programmed thermostat in my house and have regressed to a constant temp setting....and with no impact on my average fuel usage.

Perhaps if Global Warming accelerates us into our next ice age, I will Advance (evolve) to Auto Climate Control.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:37 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Not only will I do my climate control on manual, but at times I will actually shift gears by myself, manually. I also turn the ignition starter as I used to just push a button on my S2000.
I even change audio formats manually rather than just talking to the computer, call me old fashion.
You're lucky, Kirby. On some car forums, that would get you labeled as a luddite.

I happen not to like "intelligent cruise control" systems, and on the Infiniti forums I was informed that I was a dinosaur who hated technology and didn't deserve to live in the 21st Century (and maybe even on Planet Earth).

On this forum, we'll just quietly shake our heads and write you off as hopeless, but at least we won't post it.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:55 AM
Burning Brakes

This is not the issue I am having. My AC was coming out warm on auto low and on manual low. I was able to regulate how much air was coming out but the temp was always around 75 and humid. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 09-03-2007, 10:17 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by TampaRL
Heck, I gave up with the programmed thermostat in my house and have regressed to a constant temp setting....and with no impact on my average fuel usage..
I admit I'm odd, definitely a person who loves to live on the bleeding edge of technology. I didn't mean to imply anyone is in the stone age. My wife thinks I'm nuts with how much I love technology.

Example; Your mentioned your home AC system and how you set temp manually. Here's how sick I am. My homes AC system is a dual system with each system having two compressors (4 compressors total; 5, 4, 3, and 2.5 tons). Air handlers in the house are variable speed and control air flow based on humidity and temperature change. All four compressors can reverse flow and act as heaters as well as chillers (not uncommon in Florida systems). The 4 compressors work together or separately to maximize cooling and heating while using as little power as necessary. This is all controlled by thermostats throughout the house that are not only programable but also learn the heating and cooling patterns of the house and adapt. They monitor temperature and humidity and can control both. It doesn't have a Colision Mitigation System, but, I'd probably buy it if they did

Like I said, I'm wierd.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:20 AM
Go Big Blue!

This is not the issue I am having. My AC was coming out warm on auto low and on manual low. I was able to regulate how much air was coming out but the temp was always around 75 and humid. Anyone else have this problem?
No Briny, I've never had that problem EVER on any car. If my AC was going it would just go. If anything I'd expect it not to cool well when on high speed if the freon was low and causing the coils not to chill down enough. Sounds like time for a service call.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:50 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
I admit I'm odd, definitely a person who loves to live on the bleeding edge of technology. I didn't mean to imply anyone is in the stone age. My wife thinks I'm nuts with how much I love technology.

Example; Your mentioned your home AC system and how you set temp manually. Here's how sick I am. My homes AC system is a dual system with each system having two compressors (4 compressors total; 5, 4, 3, and 2.5 tons). Air handlers in the house are variable speed and control air flow based on humidity and temperature change. All four compressors can reverse flow and act as heaters as well as chillers (not uncommon in Florida systems). The 4 compressors work together or separately to maximize cooling and heating while using as little power as necessary. This is all controlled by thermostats throughout the house that are not only programable but also learn the heating and cooling patterns of the house and adapt. They monitor temperature and humidity and can control both. It doesn't have a Colision Mitigation System, but, I'd probably buy it if they did

Like I said, I'm wierd.
I want that system, cool.

I love tech, however it has to work perfectly for me to use it, for example, that is why I sometimnes shift gears manually.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:44 AM
'10 A5 & '07 TL

I have never experienced that either...not "warm air". Having said that, when I first bought my RL, I thought the air was on the "warm" side and took it in to be looked at. I found myself keeping my car a few degrees cooler than I normally would...like 68 degrees. And I felt like the fan NEVER slowed down or caught up. Anyway, they said that everything checked out and that all the charges where correct.

I also have noticed that now that my windows are tinted, that the AC doesn't have to work as hard. I can also jump up to a 69-70 setting and still be comfortable.

Just my .
Old 09-04-2007, 09:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Well the ac stopped working on Sunday but was fine on Monday, now on Tuesday it's warm again!!! Made appt with dealer! Part is on a national backorder it will be a while before I drive my RL again. I love this car and I hate this car. I've only had it for two weeks!!!! Ahhh I just want to the damn door in but then I would be without it yet again for body work.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Correction: Ahhh I just want to kick the damn door in but then I would be without it yet again for body work.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Racer

Tampa....try driving the car with the AC off one time. You'll have much more horsepower and a better ride (do it on a cooler day of course). Since you live in Florida and run it on MAX at all times, you've probably never experienced the engine without the drag of the AC.

Try it once and maybe you'll raise the temp a bit so that the drag will be lessened.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Well the ac stopped working on Sunday but was fine on Monday, now on Tuesday it's warm again!!! Made appt with dealer! Part is on a national backorder it will be a while before I drive my RL again. I love this car and I hate this car. I've only had it for two weeks!!!! Ahhh I just want to the damn door in but then I would be without it yet again for body work.
Briny, your problem might actually be the relay and not the compressor. If the compressor goes, the AC does not blow warm and cold, it just blows warm. If the relay is going, it WILL blow warm and cold on and off, just like mine did. At first, my dealer couldn't find the problem because it was intermittent. It wasn't until the relay completely DIED that the AC blew warm ALL the time. When it didn't blow cold at all anymore, I called and made another appointment, and they determined it was the relay, which on the TSX is about a $4 part with no wait time.

BTW, I just had the relay replaced in the beginning of August. I was without AC for a month in the hottest part of the summer.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by gavine
Tampa....try driving the car with the AC off one time. You'll have much more horsepower and a better ride (do it on a cooler day of course). Since you live in Florida and run it on MAX at all times, you've probably never experienced the engine without the drag of the AC.

Try it once and maybe you'll raise the temp a bit so that the drag will be lessened.
I heard that under full throttle the ac is disengaged.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:43 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Thx gavine, but I do not run the A/C all the time. Only May to September generally. The other months I rarely turn it on, and prefer the compressor not even kick in. So I do notice the engine power drain, but it is very subtle.

From May to September it is nearly 90F everyday, so MAX is all I want. On the rare occaisions it is not so hot (just usual HUMIDITY) I run in on Max , Recirc and just set the Temp higher.

Below 80F, I rarely turn it on.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Briny, your problem might actually be the relay and not the compressor. If the compressor goes, the AC does not blow warm and cold, it just blows warm. If the relay is going, it WILL blow warm and cold on and off, just like mine did. At first, my dealer couldn't find the problem because it was intermittent. It wasn't until the relay completely DIED that the AC blew warm ALL the time. When it didn't blow cold at all anymore, I called and made another appointment, and they determined it was the relay, which on the TSX is about a $4 part with no wait time.

BTW, I just had the relay replaced in the beginning of August. I was without AC for a month in the hottest part of the summer.
Yep, the dealer told me this morning it's the relay or clutch. But it was part of the compressor or something so the whole thing had to be replaced. Mine is currently intermittent I hope it doesn't totally die. How long did yours stay intermittent?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:45 PM
Burning Brakes

I've complained to Acura Client Relations, NHTSA, and BBB Autoline. Let's see if that gets them moving any quicker. Hmmm, I think I will read over my warranty to see if there is a breach of contract.

If you couldn't tell the idea of a nationa backorder that has been going on for over a year really pisses me off.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't see anything in th service contract about how long they have to make a repair, just that it will be done using new or refub genuine honda parts.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Yep, the dealer told me this morning it's the relay or clutch. But it was part of the compressor or something so the whole thing had to be replaced. Mine is currently intermittent I hope it doesn't totally die. How long did yours stay intermittent?
It was intermittent for about 2 weeks. At first I thought I was going crazy and imagining it, but I knew from the TSX forums that the AC has issues. The intermittent thing was really annoying. It would be cold anywhere from 5-30 minutes, then turn warm and humid. And the cycle would repeat every time I let the car rest for a couple hours. After a couple of weeks, though, it went completely warm. I called immediately when I realized this, but couldn't get an appointment for another 5 days, so it was in the 90s and humid and I had to suffer through it with no AC.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Racer

I think the compressor on the RL is a variable stroke/variable load type where, instead of cycling on and off, it runs at whatever load is required. Therefore, the clutch is only used whenever you turn the A/C on and off.

This is not confirmed but in cars that cycle on and off, you can feel it happening. In the RL, I can't feel it going in and out but I can tell that the load is heavier when it's very hot or when I first start-out and the cabin is smoldering from sitting in the sun so this is why I assume its a variable stroke/load.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:08 PM
Pro

I think the compressor on the RL is a variable stroke/variable load type where, instead of cycling on and off, it runs at whatever load is required. Therefore, the clutch is only used whenever you turn the A/C on and off.

This is not confirmed but in cars that cycle on and off, you can feel it happening. In the RL, I can't feel it going in and out but I can tell that the load is heavier when it's very hot or when I first start-out and the cabin is smoldering from sitting in the sun so this is why I assume its a variable stroke/load.

I would like to know if this is true, anyone have positive proof?
Thanks
Old 09-07-2007, 06:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

I do not believe this to be accurate. I don't feel the ac kicking in and out on my tsx either and I know is cycles on and off. I just think its the engineering of the RL, why you don't feel any load on the engine.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:14 PM
Racer

So why does the load feel "heavier" when the AC works harder (very hot out or just starting out) and less "heavy" when the cabin has cooled down or at night? Even under the light load, I can still feel less drag once I turn-off the A/C.

There's definitely such thing as "variable stroke compressors" used in luxury cars so why would the RL not have it? My 1997 Audi A4 definitely had one.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:22 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dwest1023
I do not believe this to be accurate. I don't feel the ac kicking in and out on my tsx either and I know is cycles on and off. I just think its the engineering of the RL, why you don't feel any load on the engine.
Gavine is correct in that the RL compressor is a variable capacity unit eliminating the on-off surge of cycling. The compressor operation is described in detail in the factory (Helms) RL service manual.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by dadcat1
Gavine is correct in that the RL compressor is a variable capacity unit eliminating the on-off surge of cycling. The compressor operation is described in detail in the factory (Helms) RL service manual.

Thanks for the info. This is the first of I have heard of this type of compressor. I will have to research this.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:00 AM
Go Big Blue!

Yes, it's true the A/C system uses a variable speed compressor and runs continuously instead of the alternative method of simply turning the compressor on and off periodically. My houses' cooling system works the same way. It's a more sophisticated (and modern) way of accomplishing basically the same thing.

Here is the description of the Continuously Variable Capacity Compressor from the Service manual:

When the shaft rotates, the slope plate rotates by means of the lug plate which is attached to the shaft. This rotational movement of the slope plate is converted through the use of shoes to the reciprocal movement of the pistons, which in turn take in, compress, and discharge the refrigerant.

The inner pressure of the slope plate chamber is controlled between low to mid range, and the pressure determines the slope angle, determing the piston stroke as well, and further controlling the discharge amount, resulting in continuously variable capacity.

The amperage to the variable capacity control solenoid valve is controlled to obtain continuously variable low pressure, further achieving the continous control of variable compressor capacity resulting in the continuous control of the cooling capacity.

Constant On/Off of the compressor clutch is eliminated in this system, hence no shock of the clutch engaging/disengaging, and the engine idle speed remains stable.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:06 AM
Pro

ac

Thanks for the definitive word on the on/off cycle.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:30 PM
'05 RL 300K Miles

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
I like to have my A/C on MAX, constant. It helps me maintain cryogenic freeze. If I thaw, I may begin to walk upright instead of knucklewalking.

Perhaps if Global Warming accelerates us into our next ice age, I will Advance (evolve) to Auto Climate Control.
Now THAT is funny!
Old 09-18-2007, 03:40 PM
Burning Brakes

AC was finally fixed on Thursday. I got a call from a case manager at american honda everyday my car wasn't working with can update. The dealer had the car back to me the same afternoon the part came in. While I am pleased it didn't take 3-5weeks like some other people had to wait, it is still unacceptable for a part to be on a national backorder for over a year. I am still going to persue my complaints in hopes of a warranty extension of some kind for everyone who has a 05 RL.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:18 PM
Advanced

This is exactly the reason I am trading my '05 RL in. I know that it's only a matter of time before the A/C goes out again, and that it will likely be a very costly out of warranty repair. Not a risk I am willing to take given the likelihood of it failing a second time. Sadly, it doesn't appear that Acura is paying enough attention to this, as they seemed *very* uninterested in looking into this issue further.

Sadly, I think the only way to get this resolved will be to get everyone here that has had these A/C issues and contact a class-action attorney who specializes in these types of things.

Quick Reply: AC Problem