3.7 Liter Engine for RL?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 03:34 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
One more question: V8 versions of the Lexus GS, Infiniti M, Audi A6, BMW 5-Series, etc. make up what percentage of overall sales?
I don't think the percentage of sales is important. I can tell you that Audi sells PRECIOUS FEW A6 4.2's because I owned one (a 2002 model). It was so rare the Lexus dealership had no idea what to offer me when I traded it in, and the Audi dealership was the only place I could go for oil changes because no one else carried the oil filters. They sold very few, but the point is it moved the model upmarket.

Think about this... would you rather buy a 6 cylinder version (the best) of a car that also comes in a 4 cylinder model or a 6 cylinder version (the cheapest) of a car that also comes in an 8 cylinder model? Would you rather your IS350 be mistaken for an IS250 or your M35 be mistaken for an M45? What do you think elevates the model's positioning in the market? In the RL's case, it is what it is... no better, no worse.

I hear you on needing to be able to spread the V-8 across models, but basically Honda/Acura needs to decide whether it makes sense to spend the money on a V-8 to elevate the model/brand and potentially sell more (6 cylinder) units or save the money and sell whatever it can at significantly discounted prices. I don't know the answer to that question.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Actually, percentage of sales is important. It's not worth it to go through the hassle of manufacturing a V8 engine to go in 100 cars per month. The A6 can have a V8 engine because that engine also goes into the Audi A8. That helps spread the cost. It's an economy of scale thing. The biggest problem that the Acura RL has is that it is an Acura. The brand itself needs an image boost. Right now, their claim to fame is that they can sell cars with more gadgets for less money than the competition. That's great for the near-luxury segment, but not good enough to push Acura into the true-luxury segment. Right now, common folk put Acura on a level with Volvo. Just like few people are willing to pay over $40K for a Volvo, few people are willing to pay over $45K for an Acura. The brand is caught in a vicious cycle. I think the only way they can break that cycle is not by simply offering a V8 option in the RL. They need two cars above the RL, both with V10 engines. They need a replacement for the NSX and they need a full-sized car to fight with the Lexus LS. Also, they need to be willing to give up the low end. Killing the RSX was a good idea. Moving away from FWD will be another good idea.