2013 RL Previewed

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
I hate to break it to you guys but the standard RL will likely be FWD. By using electric motors to power the rear wheels the car will do without a rear drive shaft and differential. That means that to make the base model AWD they would be adding in more mechanical parts and increasing the cost of development and production. Notice they include the "Hybrid" lingo in with the SH-AWD. It is most likely that the base model will be a FWD non-hybrid model priced about the same as the outgoing RL. This allows them to keep the entry level RL price lower and leaves room to increase the price of a fully loaded RL by making the AWD drivetrain an option. Yes, it is possible they would bring it out in a standard hybrid AWD across the board but unlikely. Once they put all the effort and money into putting the electric motors and all into the rear end of the base model the costs associated with the simple computer programs that would turn that setup into this "Sport Hybrid SH-AWD" are negligible. At that point they would just make the "Sport" part of the equation standard on all models.
I tend to agree with you, but wondering whether the new NSX shown in Detroit have a rear drive shaft? If it does not, then I think you are right that standard will be FWD.
My bad - I forgot the NSX is RWD, but that gives hope to standard RL being AWD without the electric engine

Last edited by getakey; 01-26-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I knew all RLs were made in Japan, my question was if we knew if it was going to be still made there or they were moving production to the US like the NSX. Its more expensive to make the cars in Japan which is one of the reasons the current RL has the price it does.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
Getakey, remember the NSX is a mid-engine car, so there is no need for a drive shaft. The NSX and RL will likey be the exact same drivetrains facing different directions.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:11 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by oo7spy
Getakey, remember the NSX is a mid-engine car, so there is no need for a drive shaft. The NSX and RL will likey be the exact same drivetrains facing different directions.
Yeah - I realized that after the fact.
So, FWD it is on Std model
Old 01-26-2012, 06:09 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vybzkartel
Might go...on a weekday tho. Too crowded on the weekend!

Then again, seeing that pics and info will be available on the interwebs before the show is open to the public, I most likely won't see the need to go.
'06 was the last time I went!
+1 on going during the week as opposed to the weekend.. 2009 was my first one..

LoL @ the ghey wave/hug & the cat pic btw..
Old 01-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Type-S RPh
I knew all RLs were made in Japan, my question was if we knew if it was going to be still made there or they were moving production to the US like the NSX. Its more expensive to make the cars in Japan which is one of the reasons the current RL has the price it does.
Wouldn't be surprised if it's announced at NY auto show, when the concept(prototype?) is revealed.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 037
Bob, I'll see what I can do about the photos, especially cause it's got some Genesis genes

sorry, I couldn't hold off on that one.
Well, I personally think the Genesis copied it's body lines from the RL first. So technically, the new RL is going to have similar body lines like the current RL/05-08.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:57 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
Originally Posted by oo7spy
Exactly. The NSX definitely came out on top in that design study.

My biggest concern is that it's been mentioned now by two different columnists that the next gen RL will heavily resemble the current RL. That's pretty unfortunate considering the current RL is one of the oldest designs in the industry having been first released in late 2004 and only receiving a mild face lift over the last 7-8 years. Not that I expected Honda/Acura to go off the deep end on the design, but at least make sure it's revolutionary and not evolutionary. Given Honda's recent "evolutionary" models: Civic, CR-V and after seeing the next gen Accord prototype...I'm actually a bit concerned.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:59 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
Originally Posted by sleepinxlionhart
Well, I personally think the Genesis copied it's body lines from the RL first. So technically, the new RL is going to have similar body lines like the current RL/05-08.
Hyundai copying somebody else's designs? Blasphemy!
Old 01-27-2012, 02:32 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by sleepinxlionhart
Why would any car manufacturer copy a car that sells barely a 100 units a month?

When they launched the Genesis the VP of product development said...

"Hyundai Vice President for Product Development, John Krafcik, described Genesis as the boldest statement yet of Hyundai’s philosophy of its “unrelenting quest to deliver the value every car buyer deserves.”

“Genesis offers the performance of a BMW 5-Series, the interior packaging of a 7-Series at the price of a 3-Series,” he declared."

They are not worried about Acura or even trying to compete with Acura.

In Dec 11 Hyundai sold almost 2,500 Genesis, Acura sold 50 RLs. Maybe Acura should be copying the Genesis?
Old 01-27-2012, 03:00 AM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
All is conjecture from what I have heard about what you will or won't do. Wait until the car comes to the dealer and take it for a drive. The drive will tell everything if Acura got the car right or wrong. My guess is that a lot of engineering went into this car to make it mechanically a better design and getting rid of a $2000 drive shaft. Knowing Honda, they ran those electric motors until they failed and went in and rebuilt them to a better standard. There is to much reputation on the line to screw up their flag ship car. Styling has always been short in the RL. Let some of the Art Design students have a go at some concept designs for a new sedan.
After driving our RL for 45,000 miles since we acquired it a year and a half ago, I am more than pleased with the car, is an understatement. I now have my B mileage recording my overall gas mileage...23+ I don't baby the car, but I am easy on the throttle and use cruise control a lot. If the new RL comes out in the high 20's and has the same performance or better than what I am getting now, I might look at trading up but only in 2013 when the 2nd year models come out and I have read up on consumer reports.
The following users liked this post:
2011TL (01-28-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 09:38 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
that pic looks like the next Accord with SH-AWD
Old 01-27-2012, 12:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
That IS an Accord. The picture is from a press release some months ago in which Honda discussed changes to SH-AWD. This particular Accord was a test bed.
oo7spy (01-27-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 01:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by kssod
that pic looks like the next Accord with SH-AWD
You have a sharp eye!
Old 01-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Why would any car manufacturer copy a car that sells barely a 100 units a month?

"Hyundai Vice President for Product Development, John Krafcik, described Genesis as the boldest statement yet of Hyundai’s philosophy of its “unrelenting quest to deliver the value every car buyer deserves.”

“Genesis offers the performance of a BMW 5-Series, the interior packaging of a 7-Series at the price of a 3-Series,” he declared."

In Dec 11 Hyundai sold almost 2,500 Genesis, Acura sold 50 RLs. Maybe Acura should be copying the Genesis?
The RL sold that few units at the end of its life because Acura stopped marketing it, stopped producing it in meaningful numbers, and had made minimal changes to a design that debuted in late 2004. The RL was ahead of its time in 2004 — not so much by 2011.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:22 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Rocket_man

If a car doesn't sell well, doesn't mean it doesn't look good.

I put this together, so you can see them side by side. See the similarities now?

Of course, they won't be exactly alike, but the amount of similarity of the Genesis to the RL is uncanny.
oo7spy (01-28-2012)
Old 01-28-2012, 04:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Meh. Hyundai is not really copying just Acura as pointed out above, and are having great success doing so.

Acura is not really copying anyone with the RL. The RL is meant to be a test bed for new tech. That has been IMHO its sole reason for being. I don't think Acura particularly cares that it sells few copies, or it would have been pulled long before now instead of just lingering in dealers, collecting dust.

Honda, as always, marches to its own drumbeat even if we don't completely understand it. Sometimes that drumbeat leads to stellar success (Accord) and sometimes not (4G TL, RL).
Old 01-28-2012, 06:11 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just wonder, why not a single spy photo is yet available. Strange.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^^^
Honda/Acura is legendary for their secrecy. It is almost Apple-like. You won't see anything before the NY auto show unless they specifically decide to leak, which is exceedingly rare.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Meh. Hyundai is not really copying just Acura as pointed out above, and are having great success doing so.

Acura is not really copying anyone with the RL. The RL is meant to be a test bed for new tech. That has been IMHO its sole reason for being. I don't think Acura particularly cares that it sells few copies, or it would have been pulled long before now instead of just lingering in dealers, collecting dust.

Honda, as always, marches to its own drumbeat even if we don't completely understand it. Sometimes that drumbeat leads to stellar success (Accord) and sometimes not (4G TL, RL).
Really, The RL front looks a lot like the Lexus ES or LS. Everytime a Lexus stop, I thought it was an RL but then I saw the L, and not the A.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:47 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Pan0k
Really, The RL front looks a lot like the Lexus ES or LS. Everytime a Lexus stop, I thought it was an RL but then I saw the L, and not the A.
You're talking about the current ES and LS right? I think the ES looks more like the RL, but anyway, both cars debuted well after the RL.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:58 PM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
When you drive in the larger cities in comparison to where I live you see a lot more cars. One thing that strikes me is how many cars are sharing the same body lines as the RL. Copying is the sincerest form of flattery when it comes to design of cars. Acura must be doing something right with the looks as the comparison photos showed. Even the MB shares some lines that I have noticed. "Oh, Look Honey it is an RL...uh, no its a Japanese copy".
Old 01-29-2012, 12:17 AM
Proboscis-free zone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Best case: irresistible new LEGEND hybrid with beautiful sheet metal, fantastic technology and appealing price tag.

Worst case: something that resembles the current, egregiously ugly TL. (Note to Acura designers: Hyundai's Genesis, mentioned by some as inspiration, is pretty underwhelming in the looks department with a droopy butt--don't look there for design ideas.)

Most likely case, based on recent experience: Acura continues with the meaningless "RL" moniker. Screws up the styling. Reduces the value equation. And alienates current customers while trying to reach unreachable buyers who have already tasted and enjoyed the MB or Lexus /Toyota Kool-Aid.

BMW, here I come...after I drive the wheels off my fantastic '06 LEGEND. Currently at 91,325 serene, enjoyable miles and looking beautiful.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:39 AM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
let's see, "droopy butt" vs BMW

or

but for the price...you really would get a 328i really.

Last edited by 037; 01-29-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
here's one of an RL the same day.

and ofcourse here's the newer one

Old 01-29-2012, 04:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by VOdoc
I hope for the best and prepare for the worst.
Most likely case, based on recent experience: Acura continues with the meaningless "RL" moniker. Screws up the styling. Reduces the value equation. And alienates current customers while trying to reach unreachable buyers who have already tasted and enjoyed the MB or Lexus /Toyota Kool-Aid.
I completely agree. My fingers are crossed that Acura won't F this up. So far, the ILX and RDX look good. Hopefully the RL will, too.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
The 05 RL came out as a world car with its debut in Japan. Does anybody know if the new RL is going to be Japanese (world) or a US only model or where it is going to be made? Alabama?
Old 01-30-2012, 10:36 AM
Senior Moderator

I think it would be extremely foolish of Honda to switch from a factory that is tried and true to a new one, and it would be even more stupid to take a flagship that displays all of Honda's technology away from the world and isolates it to a country that doesn't care.

It stays in Japan and is sold worldwide.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by db22
The 05 RL came out as a world car with its debut in Japan. Does anybody know if the new RL is going to be Japanese (world) or a US only model or where it is going to be made? Alabama?
Acura hasn't said anything about this yet. Hopefully soon. I am quite sure, based on the previous two RLegendos, that it will be a world car.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Racer

Need a photo and some specs soon, getting the itch....
A7, A6, GS350
Old 01-30-2012, 11:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
I saw the new Lexus GS at an event tonight. It looks like a big IS to me.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
The next MDX is moving to the new US factory from Canada. I would not be surprised if the RL follows suit. The Legend was not a big seller around the world as well as not doing too well in the US. If they decide that the US is the main market then a US factory may well happen.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Racer

ILX interior photos are available on acuranews, nothing really new or exciting,looks just like current TSX and TL. Hopefully not the direction for the new RL. Need something totally new, like what Lexus has done with GS. Not the same as the GS but equally different from the previous/ current model as the 2013 GS is from the 2011. Acura has never been a big advertiser, but Lexus is really flooding the media with GS ads, one would think it has to generate some interest, Acura should take some lessons.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:32 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
ILX interior photos are available on acuranews, nothing really new or exciting,looks just like current TSX and TL. Hopefully not the direction for the new RL. Need something totally new, like what Lexus has done with GS. Not the same as the GS but equally different from the previous/ current model as the 2013 GS is from the 2011. Acura has never been a big advertiser, but Lexus is really flooding the media with GS ads, one would think it has to generate some interest, Acura should take some lessons.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Safety Car

Let's hope the new RL is ground breaking on the inside as well. It vertainly introduced a lot of new features in 2005.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:43 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts