2012 (KB2) Possible bad wheel bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 03:02 PM
Acura's All Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 (KB2) Possible bad wheel bearing?

Hi all... Before I replace the wheel bearing I just want some opinions. For a few weeks now I have had a humming like noise the starts when driving around 40 and increases in volume the faster you go (2012 Tech w/ 88,xxx miles). As you are driving the noise is coming from the front left/drivers side... When going through left curves, the noise increases and does so significantly more if you make a few quick sharp jabs to the left. I have had 2 local Acura Dealerships inspect the car, both dealerships have indicated that during the tests on the bearings there seems to be nothing wrong, they have inspected the suspension, rotated tires and even drove it with different wheels on it and to no avail, nothing makes the noise go away. Alas, they say "Mr. Brinkley, it certainly shouldn't be making the noise, our best guess is the front left/drivers side bearing is just beginning to go bad but we can't give you a definitive answer". From what I have read, if you turn left and the noise increases then it would be the right side bearing and vice versa. But you can literally hear this noise on the left hand side of the car and it increases on the left hand side of the car during left hand curves. Before I order the parts and have my cousin install them, I just wanted outside opinions on which side you all feel it may be and if you all feel it could potentially be something else. The car has brand new Continental ContactExtreme tires on it with less than a thousand miles (tires was the Acura dealers second guess) but they ruled that our switching rims and tires driving it and the car isn't wearing them either. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Old 04-27-2018, 03:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,592 Likes on 6,636 Posts
How's the alignment? Might be the axle too if not the wheel bearing
Old 04-27-2018, 03:12 PM
Acura's All Day

Originally Posted by thoiboi
How's the alignment? Might be the axle too if not the wheel bearing
Its actually had 2 alignments in the last 6 months, once because I knew I was getting new tires and the second time... Because I am picky and my steering wheel wasn't perfectly centered the first time lmbo. But nonetheless the alignment is perfect on it now.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Make an appointment and ask your service advisor for a guy that has the most experience. Ask the mechanic go with you for a test drive, that way he/she can experience the noise according to your description. Usually the mechanic pretty happy when they talk to a car enthusiast and they will put extra effort in diagnostic the problem.
The following users liked this post:
projektvertx (04-28-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 08:58 AM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Both wheel bearings on my RL were toast after the dealer did the TC replacement under warrant. They replaced one without too much pressure as there was a definite DRONE sound when driving. Sound would increase with speed.

The other wheel bearing was done at a different dealer after complaining about droning again as I thought it was the centre shaft bearings ($$$$$).

From experience with our 2007 Odyssey and it's wheel bearing issue, it does tend to get louder with speed and can sound like BAD tires.

Could also be CV or inner shaft joints if more prevalent when turning.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:36 PM
Acura's All Day

Originally Posted by truonghthe
Make an appointment and ask your service advisor for a guy that has the most experience. Ask the mechanic go with you for a test drive, that way he/she can experience the noise according to your description. Usually the mechanic pretty happy when they talk to a car enthusiast and they will put extra effort in diagnostic the problem.
Sorry for the delay in response. I actually did just that with both dealerships and both could hear the noise with me driving and could duplicate it once I left. As mentioned previously, they tried different rims and tires on it, even rotated my rims and tires and nothing resolved the noise. They inspected all of the suspension and everything seemed to check out fine, they couldn't find anything broken or wrong. They also used some form of machine to test each wheel bearing and they tested fine as well. All of the above was done at each dealership. In the end, both said "we really don't feel the noise is normal, but we cant find anything wrong, our best guess is the front left/drivers side wheel bearing". My concern is #1, if I replace it and the noise is still present, then what, what else could it be? #2, which side should I replace? Everything I have read points to the right side being replaced if the noise gets worse through left curves, but you can distinctly hear the noise on the left front and it does go away when going through right curves. So, to summarize its a humming/drone noise heard going straight at 40 and above, the noise resonates from the drivers front and can increases slightly with speed and even more so with left curves or a quick jab to the left, it goes away when curving to the right side of the road. And for what its worth the vehicle only has 88,xxx miles and I dodge pot holes with the quickness. I look like one of those lowered civics dodging pot holes but in a family sedan lmbo.

Last edited by BadassAcuraCl; 05-02-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:46 PM
Acura's All Day

Originally Posted by theShaft
Both wheel bearings on my RL were toast after the dealer did the TC replacement under warrant. They replaced one without too much pressure as there was a definite DRONE sound when driving. Sound would increase with speed.

The other wheel bearing was done at a different dealer after complaining about droning again as I thought it was the centre shaft bearings ($$$$$).

From experience with our 2007 Odyssey and it's wheel bearing issue, it does tend to get louder with speed and can sound like BAD tires.

Could also be CV or inner shaft joints if more prevalent when turning.
The CVs and everything else related to suspension were thoroughly inspected at both dealers and checked out fine. The wheel bearings tested good according to the dealers, they still feel one of them could be in the beginning stages of going out and the equipment they use may not be able to pick up on it. Who knows at this point, it just beyond frustrating to be told "something is wrong, but we really don't know what it is". Especially when its something I have to hear and listen to that even makes noise over my music. I have a touch of misophonia when it comes to noises/taps/chewing etc lmbo.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:01 PM
Acura's All Day

Alignment Report

I dont know if this helps anyone, but this is my alignment report. I dont quite know how to read it, but according to the techs, everything about it is fine.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
20180502124318589.pdf (343.5 KB, 72 views)
Old 05-02-2018, 03:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I also had a noise that was apparent at certain RPMs and it turned out to be a heat shield. At least something else to look at as I thought it was the alternator or belt tensioner.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:31 AM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 177 Likes on 99 Posts
How much does it cost to replace both front wheel bearings? I would not think it to be a major job. I know on older RWD cars it was a simple and cheap procedure. In my college days I replaced them myself on my Chrysler Cordoba right out in the street in NY (I was in college a long time ago!).
My 2012 RL has 113k miles and quiet. My sister's brand new Audi developed a very pronounced roar at speeds above 70mph. Audi 1st blamed it on the OEM Continental tires and just rotated them. The noise persisted and I took the car back to Audi. On the 2nd visit Audi said there was a recall on front wheel bearings. Problem solved.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:20 PM
Acura's All Day

Originally Posted by theShaft
I also had a noise that was apparent at certain RPMs and it turned out to be a heat shield. At least something else to look at as I thought it was the alternator or belt tensioner.
I had them inspect those too as I was ran to the side in a parking lot by an 18 wheeler awhile back and my front left wheel ran over the side of one of those islands in a parking lot. I damn near cried when I got out of the car to inspect everything. Nonethless, those were in the clear too. The only damage caused by that scenario, one of the clips that hold the plastic piece that runs along the wheel area was torn out. Althought, I have a crunching/plastic noise when going over/hitting uneven places in the road after that, but they also said there is nothing that they can find that causes the noise on that either <inserts eyeroll>
Old 05-03-2018, 01:24 PM
Acura's All Day

Originally Posted by CadiGTi
How much does it cost to replace both front wheel bearings? I would not think it to be a major job. I know on older RWD cars it was a simple and cheap procedure. In my college days I replaced them myself on my Chrysler Cordoba right out in the street in NY (I was in college a long time ago!).
My 2012 RL has 113k miles and quiet. My sister's brand new Audi developed a very pronounced roar at speeds above 70mph. Audi 1st blamed it on the OEM Continental tires and just rotated them. The noise persisted and I took the car back to Audi. On the 2nd visit Audi said there was a recall on front wheel bearings. Problem solved.
Lol, they quoted me $780 (both dealers) to replace just one. You're right though, the RL is VERY quiet which is exactly why, every little noise drives me insane. I told the dealers, I love the car, its genuinely been the best Acura Ive owned, but I will sell it/trade it in before I continue to deal with the noise. I feel like I need a Xanax before every drive. The car still looks new and performs amazingly well and honestly, drives well. Its just the noise, I cant get passed it.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
have you got another quote from indi shop that specialize in Acura/Honda car? it def is way cheaper than dealer.